Secessionville Version 2.0 - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #1

Scourge Of War: Gettysburg
Secessionville Map
Version 2.0
Map Author: Little Powell
Map contributors: John "2nd Texas" Bonin and LouiRaider
Scenarios: Little Powell and RebBugler
Historic Flags: RebBugler

June 16th, 2012 marks the 150th Anniversary of The Battle of Secessionville.

To commemorate the battle that has always been a great interest to me, I am releasing this map as a free add-on pack. It includes the Secessionville map, historical OOB, two basic setup scenarios, and historic Confederate flags.

This map also introduces Fort warfare to the Scourge of War game engine. It includes the Tower Battery, which would become known as Fort Lamar after the battle.

Download Link

IMPORTANT: You must have patch 1.5 or later to use this mod. Download it at www.scourgeofwar.com/downloads.shtml

You also must have the Antietam expansion installed to take advantage of new buildings etc. Purchase it at: www.matrixgames.com/store/442/details/Scourge.of.War:.Antietam

This package will install over your current version of Secessionville. You may remove the SEC.dat file found in your Scourge of War - Gettysburg\Base\Maps\packages folder. This step is not required, but recommended for a complete clean install.

This pack includes the Secessionville map, OOB, historic Rebel flags, and two setup scenarios.

Updates in version 2.0:

- New footbridge added connecting the Secessionville peninsula to the mainland.
- New cotton field and hedgerows.
- Additional buildings and modifications to existing buildings.
- Added additional roads/paths and fixed several road issues.
- Fixed collision issues with fences. Troops will no longer try to walk past fences.
- Increased defensive radius for fences.
- Other minor changes and bug fixes.

To play, select the mod (make sure a 'yellow block' is shown next to this map) in the modifications selection screen, then choose the Secessionville map in the map selection screen. You will also see the two Secessionville scenarios in the User Scenarios menu and the OOB in Sandbox menu.

Credit is due to Louie Raider for showing me the ropes of map making, as well as creating the excellent Ft. Lamar observation tower. Also thanks to 2nd Texas for his guidance, his excellent terrain sprites (trees, grass, etc.), ground textures, and morning sky. Also thanks to RebBugler for his historic Confederate flags. Also thanks to "Hancock the Superb" for providing research material for the foot bridge and hedge rows.

For more info on the battle, click here.

NSD Map/Scenario Lead
He possessed what a fellow soldier called "an unquenchable thirst for battle." - James I. Robertson on A.P. Hill
Next to a lost battle, nothing is so sad as a battle that has been won. - Arthur Wellesley

In remembrance: John "2nd Texas" Bonin (1977 - 2012)

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #2

Is that Mordor in the first picture?
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #3

Think of it as the Civil War era Mordor...

It's actually the 75 ft observation tower that gave the fort it's name, the Tower Battery.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
He possessed what a fellow soldier called "an unquenchable thirst for battle." - James I. Robertson on A.P. Hill
Next to a lost battle, nothing is so sad as a battle that has been won. - Arthur Wellesley

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #4

• Davinci
  • ( User )
  • Corps Commander
LP -nice looking sky effects, downloading now!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #5

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
great work Powell
Visit my wargames blog: warforgame.blogspot.it/

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #6

• Baldwin
  • ( User )
  • SOW Lt General
I'll work on that Lord of the Rings OOB

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #7

What fun!
Hancock the Superb

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #8

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
Congratulations Matt "Little Powell"

You've come a long way in making this, your first dream child a reality. I remember those times well in TC2M days, we were all just in the beginning of modding and eager to learn. Now, it's really happening big time, and we're going Great Guns SOW, with no signs of slowing down. Here's a search thread I just did so others can check out those early Secessionville posts:

www.madminutegames.com/MadMinuteBB/search.php?mode=results

Edit: ya gotta paste in Secessionville once in the search page
Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #9

Congrats Little Powell.

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #10

RebBugler wrote:
Congratulations Matt "Little Powell"

You've come a long way in making this, your first dream child a reality. I remember those times well in TC2M days, we were all just in the beginning of modding and eager to learn. Now, it's really happening big time, and we're going Great Guns SOW, with no signs of slowing down. Here's a search thread I just did so others can check out those early Secessionville posts:

www.madminutegames.com/MadMinuteBB/search.php?mode=results

Edit: ya gotta paste in Secessionville once in the search page

Ha,Ha, I remember those screenshots with palm trees. The terrain is almost impossible to look at now. Way to do South Carolina up proper LP!!! And as always good looking flags Reb Flagler. You should have twisted Louie Raider's arm into making you a 32lb Siege Gun en barbette to throw in the fort.

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #11

Great job Little Powell. We just played a 2 1/2 hr. Hits & Courier MP game. This is a great map with great lighting effects. It makes the enemy very hard to see. Watching the brigades advance and deploy reminded me of Borodino. I kept looking for the cuirassiers to ride through.

We had to mod the water movement penalties for sandbox play. Since the units can start in the water, it takes a very long time to move onto dry land. Again, well done.

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #12

Marching Thru Georgia wrote:
Great job Little Powell. We just played a 2 1/2 hr. Hits & Courier MP game. This is a great map with great lighting effects. It makes the enemy very hard to see. Watching the brigades advance and deploy reminded me of Borodino. I kept looking for the cuirassiers to ride through.

We had to mod the water movement penalties for sandbox play. Since the units can start in the water, it takes a very long time to move onto dry land. Again, well done.

Thanks for the compliments MTG. Yeah, there is a lot of water and marsh on the map.. But you can't have a James Island map without it. About starting in water; I will keep that in mind.. Ultimately, we need to find a way to prevent the player from starting in water in Sandbox... But that is for a future release.

Thanks again, glad you guys enjoyed your game.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #13

Marching Thru Georgia wrote:

I don't know how he grayscaled or the csv penalties on the water are, or what you did...but there should be a unit no halt on the water and a heavy, heavy, fatigue penalty on them. I haven't played on it since I added the new water to it.

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #14

Awesome! This is one of my Favorite engagements of the war.

I did just download it, and I can't get passed the loading screen.. I get a message when I leave the game saying it couldn't find SEC. Dat. Maybe a bad install? I put the installation path as my mods folder.

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #15

Do you have the latest 1.4 patch?

Actually, you don't want to put the installation path as your Mods folder, you will want to put it as the main directory of your game. It doesn't install everything to the mods folder, it throws the dat file in the Maps folder. So again, you'll want to point it to your main install of the game:, example:

C:\NorbSoftDev\Scourge of War - Gettysburg
NSD Map/Scenario Lead

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #16

Download link updated to version 1.1. Our friend MTG pointed out a couple minor road issues that I thought I'd fix real quick. So you can either redownload and install over your 1.0 version, or just grab the attached file, unzip, and place in your Mods\Secessionville\Maps folder and overwrite.
Attachments:
NSD Map/Scenario Lead

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #17

Spawning...

screen0002_2012-06-17.jpg

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #18

Congratulations. It is a gem !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Little Powell

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #19

nice tnx!

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #20

• Chamberlain
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD QA Team
  • We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Great job LP,

Congrats are in order on a job well done, and you should be receive a battlefield Commission !!

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #21

Michael Slaunwhite wrote:
Spawning...

Yes, make sure your troops have your scuba gear for this map, since there's lots of water.

But you need it to accurately portray the challenges that the Union army faced when attacking James Island.

We need to find a way to keep troops from starting in water in Sandbox (it happens on the Antietam maps as well), hopefully to be addressed in a future release.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Slaunwhite

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #22

Great Job LP Had a good look around the map , I climbed the tower there’s a great view from up there . It all looks very nice. One thing that immediately stands out visually is the rivers and streams. I just wish we had water exactly like yours in all the Gettysburg, Pipe creek and Antietam maps they would look so much better ,more colourful and most importantly realistic. The confederate flags look awesome I’m looking forward to a few battles on this map. Thanks.

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #23

• 13thnct
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Beautiful map! Just one thought though on this map and other new maps it seems. Has anyone noticed that cycling through the tree density using the "T" key doesn't seem to work as it did in the original Gettysburg maps? For me at least, it seems the trees/vegetation are either completely "on" or "off", with no option to reduce tree density while in game (or more importantly for this map, density of grass in the marshes). It would be great to have this reintroduced into some of these fine new maps (or for someone to point out that I'm doing something wrong!). Thanks for the excellent map!

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #24

13thnct wrote:
Beautiful map! Just one thought though on this map and other new maps it seems. Has anyone noticed that cycling through the tree density using the "T" key doesn't seem to work as it did in the original Gettysburg maps? For me at least, it seems the trees/vegetation are either completely "on" or "off", with no option to reduce tree density while in game (or more importantly for this map, density of grass in the marshes). It would be great to have this reintroduced into some of these fine new maps (or for someone to point out that I'm doing something wrong!). Thanks for the excellent map!

Yeah, that's something I can put in, but just haven't had the chance to yet. I'll get that feature in there eventually, just need to shift my focus back on the next expansion.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #25

• con20or
  • ( Moderator )
Jubal Early wrote:
Great Job LP Had a good look around the map , I climbed the tower there’s a great view from up there . It all looks very nice. One thing that immediately stands out visually is the rivers and streams. I just wish we had water exactly like yours in all the Gettysburg, Pipe creek and Antietam maps they would look so much better ,more colourful and most importantly realistic. The confederate flags look awesome I’m looking forward to a few battles on this map. Thanks.

The water is awesome

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #26

Just out of curiosity, did you include the bridge from the "mainland" to Secessionville? That is how the reinforcements arrived (the 4th LA Battalion).
Hancock the Superb

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #27

Hancock the Superb wrote:
Just out of curiosity, did you include the bridge from the "mainland" to Secessionville? That is how the reinforcements arrived (the 4th LA Battalion).

Not yet, but it's on my to-do list. I didn't have a graphic for one at the time when I built this map back in February, but do now and I'll get one on there eventually. Thanks for pointing that out.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #28

Ah...so the map is really only half complete. That would explain the lack of hedgrows and cotton fields.

Not trying to say anything against you; I love the graphics, but I was trying to wrap my head around why some of the stuff was missing.
Hancock the Superb

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #29

Hancock the Superb wrote:
Ah...so the map is really only half complete. That would explain the lack of hedgrows and cotton fields.

Not trying to say anything against you; I love the graphics, but I was trying to wrap my head around why some of the stuff was missing.

It's more than half complete.. It's probably about 95% complete. Yeah, every single cotton field may not be represented, but the two major plantations are there (Sol Legare and Grimball) both that have cotton, corn fields etc.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead

Re: Secessionville Map - Released 5 years, 5 months ago #30

On behalf of all generals, I wish to thank Little Powell for the inclusion of privies. I have ridden all the other maps and when nature calls, I have never had benefit of the appropriate facilities. Making due with leaves, getting back up on that saddle can be a tender affair. I do hope they are properly stocked with quality paper and appropriate reading material.
Moderators: Shirkon, Chamberlain, Flanyboy
Time to create page: 1.04 seconds