Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fontenoy Mod.

Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #1

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
For anyone who might be interested,I,ve been working on a mod of the battle of Fontenoy,1745.It's very much to my taste,I've messed about with the sound and the smoke,and made the order of battle fit the game.

There are two versions,a standard sprite and a higher res version,both are pretty demanding on your systems.
If you have problems,run it with uniforms on low, this takes out a large chunk of the uniforms.
I'm sorry if you have problems with it,but I pushed it as far as I could for my system to see how far I could go.

I would like to thank all the modders of this game,I've looked around in most of them to find out how to do things,but especially Gunship24,Marching Thru Georgia and RebBugler, all of whom have been generous enough to allow me to use some of their work in my mod.

And of course I would like to thank Norb and the team for letting us mess about with their game.

Should anyone want to change or use any of the stuff in the mod then feel free, it's there for anyone to have a play with.

Links below,one for standard sprites,one for hi-res,and a link to some screen shots,the first 18 are the standard spirtes the rest are the hi-res.

www.mediafire.com/download/f1cw62xj676mp3a/Fontenoy_Mod_Standard_II.7z

www.mediafire.com/download/8d2nuwdewk0dhat/Fontenoy_Mod_II.7z(hi-res)

s1166.photobucket.com/user/Pom127/library/(screens)

Thanks.

Link to Dettingen update using Jack ONeill's OOB's,both high and standard res versions are included in the download,you will need Fontenoy installed.

www.mediafire.com/download/vd5fgsfgay1wr8q/Dettingen_Mods.7z

Austrian_General_2014-09-11.jpg

Austrian_Infantry_2014-09-11-2.jpg

Guard_du_Corps.jpg

Hanover_Guard_2014-09-11.jpg

Thanks,

Pom
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack ONeill, RebBugler, Little Powell, Zeke, Garnier, Grog, Ingles of the 57th, Saddletank

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #2

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Wow! Fantastic. Thank you for this. I must download and try it. I always thought that SoW would work well for European linear warfare and Fontenoy is one of my favourite battles. I wargamed it using 15mm miniatures and Frank Chadwick's Volley & Bayonet rules, years ago.

home.paradise.net.nz/mcnelly/vb/battlereports/fontenoy_refought.htm

EDIT: I just took a look through your screenshots - these are absolutely stunning! The flags are incredible. Brilliant work!
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #3

Looks great! Nice work, Pom.

Just a minor note, looking at the terrain textures, you appear to be on an old version of the game. I recommend updating to the latest to take advantage of the latest/greatest features and bug fixes.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
He possessed what a fellow soldier called "an unquenchable thirst for battle." - James I. Robertson on A.P. Hill
Next to a lost battle, nothing is so sad as a battle that has been won. - Arthur Wellesley

In remembrance: John "2nd Texas" Bonin (1977 - 2012)

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #4

• deatone
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
The mod starts to load then I get a message Sow has stopped working. Does this need to be loaded with another Mod or ii it stand alone? The game and other Mods work fine.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #5

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Hi Pom, I gave your mod a run and I'm getting some weird animation bug with the flags. They jump up and down the flagpoles, going into the ground and vanishing at the top and some swap textures. See the attached screens. As far as I can see it affects every unit in the French army, even generals and guns. I didn't check the Pragmatic Army.

EDIT: Deatone, you need Reb Bugler's Bugles and Flags XIII with it. I found it didn't matter which mod loaded first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deatone

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #6

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Pom,

Very nice work. Great flags. Think I'll stick with mine though. (Hat tip to Alesillo for the use of his sprites and DaV for helping me figure out how to convert them to SOWGB).

screen0105_2014-07-09.jpg

Prussians and Austrians slug it out at close range on one of Garnier's random maps.

screen0094_2014-07-09.jpg

British and Hanoverian Battalions prepare to move out.
Jack
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #7

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Hey, Jack - a bit curious why your powder smoke is grey and black in places... when it was white.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #8

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Tank,

It has something to do with either changing the Pic from .bmp to .jpeg OR I have some weird-ass issue in my computer. I have tried several different ways to create pics for the Forum here, but they always end up like this. The Grass/wheat darkens up, too. Don't understand it.

Jack

"Molon Labe"

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #9

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Whoa, that's weird. I thought you had modded it! So its white in-game?

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #10

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Thanks for the comments,

deatone, you may have to turn down your graphic settings,or try it in division or corps size battles only.It's a result of me trying to squeeze in as many units as I could,it may have exceeded the memory limit.

Jack ONeill, thanks I still have Alesillo's mods, had many happy hours with them.

Saddletank, I've try to re-create the problem,downloaded the files and ran them but all seemed fine,I have uploaded the flags and fx files,so try replacing the originals with these.

www.mediafire.com/download/8v4ej8f8408eaeu/Flags_gfx.7z

Little Powell, thanks,I thought I was on the latest version,will look again and update.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #11

• deatone
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
It's working fine now that I load it with the Bugles and Flags Mod. Great work. Thanks for doing this.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #12

Played this mod for a few hours last night. It was a blast very pretty dressed ranks of men slaughtering each other. Lots of fun with the new gameplay. I wish I could get my SOW sprites in HD because yours are wonderful!

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #13

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
deatone, good to hear,thanks.

Bloody Bill, thank you,glad you like it.

Little Powell, had Brandy Station downloaded but had forgotten to install it,thanks again for the heads up.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #14

• Crikey
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Just had a flick through the screenshots. Beautiful work, Pom.

Will definitely be downloading this one.

Are all the sprites new ones? Don't think I've seen many of them before.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #15

Pom wrote:

Little Powell, had Brandy Station downloaded but had forgotten to install it,thanks again for the heads up.

That's great that you have Brandy, but I was actually referring to the stock Gettysburg game. You appear to have an old version of Gettysburg. It looks pre 1.5 patch. 1.6 is the latest.

No big deal either way, just letting you know incase you weren't aware of the latest patch.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
He possessed what a fellow soldier called "an unquenchable thirst for battle." - James I. Robertson on A.P. Hill
Next to a lost battle, nothing is so sad as a battle that has been won. - Arthur Wellesley

In remembrance: John "2nd Texas" Bonin (1977 - 2012)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pom

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #16

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Crikey, thank you,all the sprites are new,base models taken from ETW,and then pulled about by me.

Little Powell, thanks again will register the game and update,need to look up from modding a bit
more often.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #17

• Crikey
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Appreciate the hard work, Pom. TW seems to be a great source.

If only...

youtu.be/ofbet4utPaA

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #18

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Tank,

The smoke IS white in the game. I can't figure out why it's black in my jpegs and no-one else's. It's just weird.

Jack

"Molon Labe"

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #19

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
removed

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #20

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Crikey, there's not much that can't be done with TW models,there are some great mods over there,it's just that the battles lack the scale and tactical element that you get with SOW.

With SOW I get about 200 years of warfare to mod,with realistic tactics and units,can't ask for more than that.As an example of that,I've just started work on a Crimea mod,never fought it as a wargamer,so lots to find out.

SOWGB2014-07-1021-54-25-27.jpg

SOWGB2014-07-1021-55-13-50.jpg

SOWGB2014-07-1021-55-30-75.jpg

SOWGB2014-07-1021-56-16-21.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grog, Ingles of the 57th, Saddletank

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #21

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Ah! Fantastic! New thread to discuss that one please. Have always wanted to do a refight of Balaklava.

There are some very good SYW models on the TW site, probably better than the current sprites we have here.

I think, Pom, the Kriegspiel group I'm a member of would like to talk with you! We are working to add more sprites to Gunships Napoleonic mod but none of us are skilled at making them.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #22

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Pom wrote:
Saddletank, I've try to re-create the problem,downloaded the files and ran them but all seemed fine,I have uploaded the flags and fx files,so try replacing the originals with these.

www.mediafire.com/download/8v4ej8f8408eaeu/Flags_gfx.7z

I replaced the flags with that replacement file but the problem is still there. It looks to me like an animation code error - Reb Bugler - can you comment?

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #23

@Pom this is amazing!! You ever thought of making Civil War sprites in HD?

Fontenoy is wonderful!!

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #24

• Crikey
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Crimea.

Wow.

What a great addition.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #25

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Saddletank, I'll have a play with the files today to see if I can re-create the effect,this effect normally happens when the sprite size dosn't match the gfx.

I did look at doing some Napo' units,but Gunship24 has that covered,PM me with what you have in mind though.

Bloody Bill, thanks Bloody Bill,I haven't thought of doing any Civil War,I want to add in wars not already covered by the game or other mods.

Crikey, thanks,early days a long way to go.I'm going to do a range of uniforms that can hopefully be used for any battle from the Crimea,rather than all the units from one battle.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #26

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
One thing it might be related to is your version of the game, which is an older version. Have you updated to v1.61 and if so are your flags still okay?

Failing that it must be something broken at my end. If so I'll uninstall and reinstall the game.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #27

• Crikey
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Tank - you're not alone. Fired up today. I'm getting the bouncing flag error too. Odd.

Other than that tho, the sprites look very good in hi res.

I'm up to date on 1.61 & BF XIII.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #28

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
I'm sorry you're having the same issue but in another way its good that its happened to someone else; that makes it more likely its something in the mod (or the flags mod) and not something on my PC.

I've got an Nvidia GTX 460 SE card. Was wondering if you had similar.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #29

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Hi guys,I've tried to duplicate the problem,but can't,it still works fine my end,as you say Saddletank,now someone else has the problem,it must be in the mod.I've updated to the latest version of the game so it's not that.
I can't see how it can be a conflict with another mod.

Will go back to it,don't like releasing faulty goods.

Sorry to anyone with the same problem.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years, 1 month ago #30

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Its not a conflict with another mod as I had all mods disabled except Bugles&Flags XIII.

I do suspect its linked to that somehow. The old NSD flag textures 'waved' in a fixed plane. Reb Buglers later funky flags waved in an animated frame and it definitely looks like that's where the problem is.

@ Crikey - have you modified Bugles&Flags XIII in any way? I had to remove the Maps folder as it clashed with the Maps folder in the KS Mod.. but I can't see its removal would have any impact on flag animations.
Moderators: Shirkon, Chamberlain, Flanyboy
Time to create page: 1.17 seconds