Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fontenoy Mod.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years ago #121

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
I've been playing a few sandbox games with this mod now and unfortunately I think its too much of a load for my PC or my graphics card. With an army vs army game things start off ok but once battle begins and the dead sprites build up my game stops and becomes a slideshow. This is on the Alpine map which is one of the most open and lowest load maps around.

Have you done anything clever to the AI in this mod Pom, that makes it work harder?

If its not that I guess it must be the sprite quality
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years ago #122

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Hi Tank,
It's the number of uniforms that slow it down(and flags),I run with "show all bodies" off,and lower a couple of other settings,but oddly my game starts slow and then speeds up as the battle hots up.

Even with bodies off,it still leaves enough corpses to keep the battlefield interesting.

The other thing you could do for army size battles is to turn down the uniform settings to low,the quality stays the same,just the number goes down,eg. British line regiments go from yellow,green and buff facings,to just the yellow,French go to blue.

This takes some of the pressure of the graphics cards.

With my Crimea mod,I'm scaling down the number of uniforms,flags ect.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years ago #123

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
All,

Okay, WTF is going on with Mediafire??? A month ago or so I downloaded Both versions of the Fontenoy Mod no problem. Pom has upgraded it so I've gone back today to get the new version and NOW, there's some idiot capcha code nonsense tied into Disney or some such silliness. F-ing marvelous. So now it won't download for me. Thrills and spills there lads. Thoughts?

Jack
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years ago #124

• Davinci
  • ( User )
  • Corps Commander
Jack ONeill wrote:
All,

Okay, WTF is going on with Mediafire??? Thoughts?

Well.....My Thought is that the problem seems to be with guess who?

I just tried it with Internet Explorer - and after clicking the green-button the file started to download, but I stopped it considering that I already have it.

This was with the Hi-Res version.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 3 years ago #125

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
All,

So, finally got it to download correctly with NO idiocy from the captcha code mess. Just kept at it off and on for about an hour before I wore its little brain out and it gave up. HA! Good times....

Jack

"Molon Labe"

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #126

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Pom - I wanted to say thank you for uploading the standard-res sprites version of this mod. My PC runs it fine now. Thanks again!

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #127

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Hi Tank,
Thanks for the feedback,I've been looking to see if there is a better way to pack the sprites,but it would seem that it is just the size of the files that's the problem,your feedback seems to confirm that.

Hope to have the small update for Dettingen ready for this week.

Austrian_General.jpg

Austrian_Infantry.jpg

Hanover_Guard.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grog, Ingles of the 57th, Saddletank

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #128

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Very pretty! This period of warefare really takes me back to my wargaming roots in the early 1970s.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #129

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Outstanding!

Jack

"Molon Labe"

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #130

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Thanks Tank,
I got into the 18th Century rather late,my period for wargaming was the English Civil War(and naval),sadly no game has ever come close to being able to re-create the 17th century.

Thank you Jack,
I'll add a link in your Dettingen if that's ok, just got to complete the Hanoverian horse guard.

Pom

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #131

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Have added a link for the Dettingen update in the first post.

Now back to the Crimea.

Pom
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack ONeill, Saddletank

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #132

Great work Pom, but do not despair about the English Civil War, this game can do much more than we imagine...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack ONeill, Ingles of the 57th, Martin James, Saddletank

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #133

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
I did look at doing something with the period a couple of years ago,but only got as far as some formations,
and I didn't get them right....

ECW.jpg

I still have some models I did somewhere so if you run short let me know.

Pom
The following user(s) said Thank You: Saddletank

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #134

I would like to make a mod mainly for multiplayer games, the battles of the ECW were fought with little armies, never more then 25000 men per side, so I think to use the SR1 OOB, where one sprite is one man, a brigade is a regiment, a division is a brigade, a corps is a division. I will certainly ask your help.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #135

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
That's a clever idea,will need some careful work with the drills.csv(not my strongpoint),but will solve the problem of having melee and firearm troops within the same regiment and getting them to act as a single unit.

I'm looking forward to this,and happy to help in whatever way I can.

Pom

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #136

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Those are Thirty Years War troops aren't they Alessillo?

Hm, the idea of an ECW infantry regiment being a brigade with a centre 'regt' of pikemen and two wings of musketeer 'regts' is a very interesting idea. Some appropriate brigade formations in drills.csv and I think it would work. I can't be sure but there may be a problem with troops who don't have any ammo left (that is, pikemen). I can't remember if troops who run out of ammo just withdraw or if they go into melee. It may be the melee option which seems okay but IIRC they are a bit uncontrollable.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #137

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
I'm sure there's a way round the ammo problem,but you do have to get the brigade to act as a unit,you can have the musketeers withdraw or rout leaving the pikemen to cover their retreat,this happened,but you can't have them wandering off by themselves.

No matter,all games are a compromise,I'm sure alessillo has some ideas for these problems.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #138

Saddletank, yes those are Thirtty Years War troops, about the pikemen in the centre I think that there will be two or three ways to make it with good results, but as for Blenheim the problem will be the cavalry, how can I teach the cavalry to stay away from the pikemen? Probably until the release of the new Waterloo game the question has no answer. It is for this reason that I think to a multiplayer mod, a mod in which you play not against the AI but against an opponent that will take his cavalry far from the deadly pikemen. I think also that will be difficult to play these battles with HITS, because the player should have continue control of his cavalry during the battle.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 2 years, 11 months ago #139

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Quite agree with you alessillo,I'm looking forward to Waterloo just for it's own sake,but the extra features it will hopefully have will open up more modding options.

Re: Fontenoy Mod. 4 months, 3 weeks ago #140

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Hi Pom, I sent you a PM concerning re-use of parts of your mod in another mod I'm working on. I'm posting here because the PM notification on the forums isn't obvious.

Thankyou.
Moderators: Shirkon, Chamberlain, Flanyboy
Time to create page: 0.86 seconds