Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

BLENHEIM MOD (with Blenheim Grenadiers add-on)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: BLENHEIM MOD (with Blenheim Grenadiers add-on)

BLENHEIM MOD (with Blenheim Grenadiers add-on) 2 years, 8 months ago #1

Introduction
This is a mod about the War of the Spanish Succession, I chose this period because it has always fascinated me and has never been represented in a computer wargame. First of all I would like to thank Norb for SOW Gettysburg, a game that can be modded and immediately caught my attention for the possible changes that can be made; I can say that trying to make modifications to this game has become my hobby as it was to paint toy soldiers. I would also like to thank Wangrin for his models and Flikitos for his textures.

Click here to download the mod:www.mediafire.com/download/c7dxbramoxdxaol/Blenheim_V_1_0.zip
or here mega.co.nz/#!rMFVBJqL!miYsyGQgWBKQDn-GWvgrvMUmPWQ_f_zswTOpozbUZZ4

Installation
Unzip Blenheim_v_1_0.zip and put Blenheim folder in the MODS folder of the game, disable all mods except for the maps and graphics mod like GCM_Terrain4, select Blenheim in the modifications screen and play.

Scenarios
Single player scenarios:
BLENHEIM, you take command of the Allied Army against the Franco-Bavarian Army in the battle that destroyed the myth of French invincibility;
BLENHEIM (French side), you take command of the Franco-Bavarian Army against the Duke of Malborough;
LUZZARA, you take the role of Prince Eugene of Savoy as commander of the Imperial Army;
LUZZARA (French saide), you take the role of the Duke of Vendôme commander of the French Army;
AMERDINGEN, it's a fictional battle in which you take the role of Maximilian II Elector of Bavaria, as commander of the Franco-Bavarian Army. Maximilian II rather than wait in the entrenched camp of Dillingen, decides to confront the enemy near the village of Amerdingen and prevent him from entering in Bavaria. The enemy army is more numerous but the right wing of the army of Marlborough is commanded by Louis William Margrave of Baden, a good friend of Maximilian II, so it is uncertain whether he will take part in the battle.
CHIARI, you take the role of Prince Eugene of Savoy as commander of the Imperial Army in one of the first battles of the War of the Spanish Succession;
SCHELLENBERG, you take the role of Jean Baptiste Count D'Arco and must try to repel the assault of Marlborough's Army.
The five battles listed above (Blenheim, Luzzara, Amerdingen, Chiari, Schellenberg) are also available in multiplayer.

Maps
Unfortunately there isn't a map editor for this awesome game, so I have changed some of the existing maps, making fortifications and changing the terrain. The rivers with light blue colour should be impassable, I say “should” because sometime the units succeed in passing them; the same for the walls of Donauworth in the Schellenberg map, I tried to make the walls impassable to prevent a flanking manouvre by the AI, but again sometimes the units get through the walls.

Infantry
There are two types of infantry: 3 ranks and 4 ranks; the first is used by England, United Provinces, Denmark and the German states, the second by France, Spain, Savoy, Bavaria and the Hapsburg Empire. There are two formations available for infantry: line and column; all troops are slow and take time to deploy in battle formation.

Cavalry
The base unit of cavalry is the squadron, not the regiment; the handling of cavalry is the most difficult part of the mod, during the War of the Spanish Succession cavalry was more numerous than in the napoleonic period, for example at the battle of Blenheim on a total of 110,000 men engaged 35,000 were cavalry, whereas at Waterloo on a total of 136,000 men at the start of the battle, only 25,000 were cavalry. In this mod a cavalry squadron can't defeat a fresh infantry battalion, on the contrary a fresh infantry battalion can sustain up to 4 or 5 cavalry charges without being defeated; but during the battle infantry units get tired and suffer losses and then can be routed by a single cavalry charge.
In sandbox line of sight battle you will see that at the beginning of the fight the AI often send cavalry against infantry, I didn't find a way to prevent this behaviour, if you want to be fair you should react with your cavalry and engage the enemy cavalry, otherwise the AI will lose the most part of the cavalry against your infantry and you will win easily.

Artillery
Artillery is the slowest arm in this mod, there are 4,6,8,9 and 12 lb guns, 7 lb howitzers and 3 lb battalion guns; the battalion guns are attached to the infantry brigades, firing canister shot they can be quite effective at close range. You must always protect your artillery from enemy cavalry, even a single squadron of 50 men can destroy an entire battery of 8 guns.

Levels
To determine the levels of the various units and commanders I used this source: “Sun King. A Module for Might and Reason 1689 to 1721” (www.sammustafa.com/honour/might-reason/Resources/SunKing.pdf), in this document are listed all types of cavalry and infantry units and a large part of the generals present in the battles.

Cheers

alessillo

9-13-2014
NEW Blenheim Grenadiers add-on

Here www.mediafire.com/download/1gnaix8e8bd4unz/Blenheim_Grenadiers.zip you find the add-on

This mod add the grenadiers to the Blenheim mod. It replaces the csv files used in Blenheim Mod.
For Multi-Player games, you must delete or rename the Blenheim\Logistics folder.

This mod must be BELOW the Blenheim Mod on the modification screen.

1. English, Austrian, Bavarian, Prussian, Danish, Dutch, Hannoverian and Hessian sprites have been added.

2. OOBs are modified to take advantage of new sprites.

3. In multiplayer you find a new Schellenberg scenario, "MP2 - Battle of the Schellenberg V2", delete the old one in Blenheim\Scenarios because there was an error.

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #2

• Pom
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
I've been looking forward to this,downloading now,thanks alessillo.

Pom

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #3

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
A,

Thank you so much. Have it running now. Bloody Freakin' Awesome. Tank REALLY needs a new comp now. LOL!

Jack
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #4

• Crikey
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Beautiful work. Such a talented modder. This is quality.

Thank you so much.

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #5

• JohnVW
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
got it...and will give it a try!! thanks...

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #6

I have now tried four times to download this mod using that wretched MediaFire.

Each time the download has terminated without finishing and leaves incomplete and or invalid files strewn around.

I have no problem whatsoever downloading other equally large files from other sources.

I suppose I must try now for a fifth time !

Geoff Laver
Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot.
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #7

Finally got it at the Fifth attempt.

Looks nice. I do hope it's worth the sleepless night. (Downloading free Midnight to 5 a.m.)

Geoff Laver
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #8

Hi.

Thank you Alessillo!

-- EDIT --

Very nice... I have to say it's really nice, and works great!

I'll be doing a live stream later on today to show it off.

Cheers!

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #9

I'm sorry Geoff for your problem, if someone has problems like you with Mediafire in the first post there is a new download link to Mega.co.nz

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ingles of the 57th

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #10

• Grog
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Fantastic

This is a mod of the highest order. Thank you Alessillo for all your hard work and for what, I'm sure will be, many hours immersing myself into the War of Spanish Succession.

Bravo!

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #11

• JohnVW
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
does anyone know if other Mods would work with this one as well? (like B&F, Textured MiniMaps, GCM roadfixes, any of the other toolbars, etc...or...would any of them even be needed?)

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #12

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Hear hear! I echo Grog's comments. I played a game using the Schellenberg map last night and I love everything about this mod. You've done so much work on the loading screens, music, everything. I really enjoy how the brigade/battalion guns work - they are very useful in a firefight and your tweaking of SoW to get them to function so smoothly is great. Your work on modifying th emaps is outstanding, the Schellenberg and Blenheim battlefields in particular are amazing.

There are two areas where I have small concerns. Breastworks/field fortifications might have too high a defensive bonus. I had a brigade of Austrian infantry on the Schellenberg and by the end of the battle several battalions had racked up scores of +300 or more without taking one single hit from AI musketry. The only losses I took were from melees of which the French tried several.

The cavalry may need some tweaking. I saw a huge host of Allied cavalry facing off the French infantry and being shot to pieces. They'd stand there, take losses, fall back, rally, the French came forward and repeat. It seems the AI doesn't knbow how to use them very well - they should surely either charge or withdraw much further.

I saw several cavalry charges, about 6 I think and in every case but one the cavalry was defeated and surrendered. Can melee losses be adjusted a little so that beaten cavalry retreat rather than get captured? Squadrons were staying in melee from 100 sabres down to about 35 then surrendering. Perhaps cavalry should retreat from melee before 60/70 percent losses?

I didn't see the AI using battalion guns - do they? Or do the French not have them?

These issues aside its a fantastic piece of work. I'm encouraged to run an MP campaign using this mod now!

JohnVW wrote:
does anyone know if other Mods would work with this one as well? (like B&F, Textured MiniMaps, GCM roadfixes, any of the other toolbars, etc...or...would any of them even be needed?)
I would say no other mods are needed. B&F is an ACW mod so has no relevance at all. Textured minimaps doesn't apply as Allessio has made his own minimaps. You should definitely NOT use any other toolbar because this era of warfare uses different formations, especially at the brigade level with battalion guns. I don't know what GCM roadfixes does. One tends to ignore roads in the 1700s as they were so poor anyway!

I used Jolly's terrain mod to make the trees yellower (I use it all the time anyway) and one of the more realistic/lite smoke mods because I like how it gives a soft haze to musket fire but other than visuals like these I'd run the mod as it comes for 2 or 3 battles and see how you like it.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #13

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Some screens taken yesterday.

1) Austrian infantry advancing with battalion guns being rolled forwards. The gun 'limber' is the lone infantry figure marching behind. He's the unit 'flag' as well, so click on him to access the gun. Cool lobster-helmeted cuirassiers behind them.

i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m582/Saddle-tank/Scourge%20of%20War%20-%20Gettysburg/Marlburian%20Mod/1-AusBtnGuns.jpg

2) Amazing flags!

i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m582/Saddle-tank/Scourge%20of%20War%20-%20Gettysburg/Marlburian%20Mod/2-Flags.jpg

3) Huge wing of allied cavalry advancing.

i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m582/Saddle-tank/Scourge%20of%20War%20-%20Gettysburg/Marlburian%20Mod/3-CavWing.jpg

4) Austrian columns snaking across the landscape. Images like this remind me of photos from Charles Grant's "The Wargame" book in the 1960s.

i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m582/Saddle-tank/Scourge%20of%20War%20-%20Gettysburg/Marlburian%20Mod/4-AusColumns.jpg

5) Taking up a defensive position on the Schellenberg

i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m582/Saddle-tank/Scourge%20of%20War%20-%20Gettysburg/Marlburian%20Mod/5-SbergDef.jpg

6) The French arrive and begin pressing the Allied cavalry back. If anything the French flags are even prettier than the Allied ones.

i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m582/Saddle-tank/Scourge%20of%20War%20-%20Gettysburg/Marlburian%20Mod/6-FrAttack.jpg

7) Having pushed the Allied cavalry back to either flank of the Schellenberg, the French infantry begin their assault up the hill proper. The other German infantry wing went way off to the far side of the map to secure 'Wolf Hill' so I was left to hold the heights with just my two brigades of 13 battalions and 6 guns. It was tough to keep plugging holes with my dwindling supply of reserves. This is the "lite smoke v3" mod which I like.

i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m582/Saddle-tank/Scourge%20of%20War%20-%20Gettysburg/Marlburian%20Mod/7-SbergSmoke1.jpg

8) The north face of the Schellenberg with the left Allied cavalry wing in the valley making a counter-attack.

i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m582/Saddle-tank/Scourge%20of%20War%20-%20Gettysburg/Marlburian%20Mod/8-SbergSmoke2.jpg

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #14

Well, first of all thank you all for your comment and feedback

JohnVW, as Saddletank said I think you must disable all other mods like B&F, the Blenheim Mod don't need other mods to run.

Saddletank thank you for your screenshots, I begin from the breastworks, in this period of warfare the defensive positions were prepared meticulously, I gave the high value of breastworks in the Schellenberg map just to get the results that you have seen, in that position infantry can be defeated only with an assault with bayonet.
The reason why I made this is the study of the Storming of the Schellenberg, there were 3 assaults on the top position of the hill, and all were repulsed with great losses by the attackers; count D'Arco, the Franco-Bavarian commanders, was defeated only because in another part of the hill the fortifications were of lower quality and almost all his troops were in the area of the main assault. Another example of the effectiveness of carefully fortified positions is the Battle of Chiari, in this battle after 2 hours of fight the Austrians lost 200 men the French lost over 3,000 men.

And now some words about cavalry, it was the most difficult part of the mod, I tried everything to solve the problem and in the end I suggest to act in this way: when you play against the AI, if you are the top commander (for example Prince Eugene) and you see that your cavalry remains under fire from the enemy and the squadrons do not react and continue to take losses, you have to take command and withdraw your squadrons; in the same way if you see the enemy cavalry squadrons that move towards your infantry you have to react with your cavalry, if not, there will be two possible consequences: the enemy squadrons will stop and will be decimated by your infantry or the enemy squadrons will charge and (if you are in the beginning of the battle) will lose the melee and surrender.

The result of a melee between infantry and cavalry is the consequence of the numbers of the two units, in a melee between 600 soldiers against 100 or 120 horsemen, the latter will be defeated and will surrender, I tried in many ways to do what you suggest (cavalry should retreat from melee before 60/70 percent losses) but with no result. But pay attention to the fact that I'm talking about melees at the beginning of the battle, because in the end of the battle one fresh squadron of 100 horses can route an infantry battalion.

The French do not use battalion guns.

Cheers

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #15

• JohnVW
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
what size is the Luzzara map? and is the Schellenberg map also for this mod? (and if so, it's size as well)...thanks

(hope to try it out this weekend)

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #16

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
All,

Alessillo is correct. my research is the French and Bavarians did not use Battalion guns. Don't know why. National preference, I guess.

Tank, I ran into the same issue with Cav vs. Foot firing at them. I discovered the musket ranges were 150 yards. No offense Alessillo, but I own a Brown Bess and you really can't hit anything out beyond 100 yards or so with one, and barely at that range. Various mid-to-late 18th century tests bare this out. Hence, the "...wait 'til you see the whites of their eyes..." idea.

I'm using my "18th century musket ranges" Mod to fix this. I've cut-and-pasted in Alessillo's musket information into it. All muskets have a maximum range of 100 yards, and really aren't very effective beyond 75 yards. Thus Cavalry WILL charge, rather than stand and be shot to bits, as their charge range is 100 yards. Simple and effective change.

Battalions guns are really neat, but so far they have been little more than trophys for the enemy to take after charging. AND, if you take them back, they go away, as most (allied) commands don't have attached artillery for them to join.

I have begun editing new OOBs to reflect the Battalion Guns being withdrawn and formed into small batteries of 4-5 guns for each command to use as close support for the Infantry, but more easily managed and supported. I think Holcroft Blood would approve.

Jack "being his usual pain-in-the-butt self" O'Neill

Also, have I mentioned I LOVE this Mod. These sprites look just like the Phoenix, Pat Condray and, (mostly), Dixon WSS 15mm figures I painted as a kid a thousand years ago.

"Molon Labe"

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #17

• JohnVW
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
hi jack...where would I find your "18th century musket ranges" MOD? (if it's avail)...thanks

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #18

JohnVW, Luzzara is like the Gettysburg map, and Schellenberg is like Culp's Hill Map

Jack, you are free to alter my work in any way, but I tested it for months, I played hundreds of battles, and above all this mod is about a different period of warfare, if you play it with the ACW in mind or the Napoleonic period you are wrong, it took months and months to be able to find a good compromise with the SOW engine, after only four days from when the mod came out, take your time before beginning to make changes (how many battles have you played? how many scenarios?). The battalion guns were attached to the battalions, there weren't batteries and in the heat of the battle they were exposed to the enemy fire, this is what appens in the battles of this mod, if you want a better behaviour of the battalion guns you have to take command of them.
If you reduce the range of muskets to 100 yards infantry can't defend from advancing cavalry, when cavalry is in range it's too late because it's charging. I know that a real musket can't hit a target beyond 100 yards but I had to make a compromise with the logic of the SOW engine, if you use the 100 yards range and play a long battle, with thousands of horsemen, you'll see that your infantry after hours of firefight will be wiped out by the fresh enemy cavalry and will not be able to defend himself because of the short range of its muskets.
Last but not least, when you say "Battalions guns are really neat, but so far they have been little more than trophys for the enemy to take after charging", take in mind that you have to protect your infantry and guns with your cavalry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Saddletank

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #19

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
I've played 2 battles so far each time commanding a division of infantry, Jack, and I find the battalion gus are superb. They rack up huge scores - I had one today with 329 points and I have had several with scores around 150. You can slip one into the gap between two battalions and turn it so its canister really helps that battalions firefight. In the two battles I've played I haven't had one captured yet, so you must not be taking good enough care of them! I never have mine out front but between battalions.

Be aware though that I never play army commander. With HITS commanding a division is my limit (in an otherwise AI vs AI army level battle) so I do pay close attention to what my brigades are doing and as in this period I always keep a second line of equal or greater strength than my first line so that units that fall back can be replaced.

Making them into batteries is quite unrealistic and ahistorical. I really suggest you don't do this until you've played a few more games with them. Their use in this mod is one of those neat anachronistic things that makes different periods of horse and musket warfare and gives the battles their distinct flavour. Make batteries of them and you lose that which is a great shame.

As Allessio says there is always a compromise between accuracy and gameplay and for the sake of the latter I think the 150 yd musket range probably works. I'm not certain of it yet as the ranges do feel very far. I wonder if 125 yds would look better, with maybe a cav charge range of 90 yds. Whatever it is though I agree it has to be longer than cav charge range or else the cav will be charging in every time and destroying themselves on fresh infantry early in the battle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RDBoles

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #20

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Gentlemen,

All your points are welcome and valid to a fair degree.

Alessillo, if you have paid any attention to what I have written these many posts, you will find I some idea regarding 17th-18th-19th century combined arms warfare, more than most others here. (I have a degree in it). Your research is outstanding and I truly appreciate it. This is a much overlooked period of warfare and you are representing it superbly. I have had no problems with my Foot repulsing charging Horse with the range mods in place, so I'm not sure what you mean. Musket fire combined with cold steel has seen them off every time, until, like you said, the Foot have tired. You have set this up beautifully. The Battalion guns are outstanding and they DO rack up fair damage on the enemy Foot, assuming I haven't lost them.(hat tip to Tank here.) They appear to require a bit more micro-management than I have been used to, thus my losing them to charging Foot. (Also, be aware I've said "So Far...").
I am well aware there were no Batteries in this time period. How many here know the Guns were drawn by CIVILIAN contractors, who generally bugged out before the battle, or that the Gunners were not really in the Military but were more like Guild members. This is why the Guns were overrun so many times during a battle. There were also no Divisions, per se. Generals were given collections of Battalions or Squadrons, loosely grouped into Brigades for ease of handling. We have to work within the Game Engine framework, so we have Divisions and Corps. Please understand I am not putting down anything you have done. It is a fabulous piece of work. Also, I've managed to get in almost a dozen battles of various sizes, so yes, I've a pretty good idea of what's happening here. (No Scenarios though. Gotta wait for the weekend for that).

Tank, my Battalion Guns ARE in their set positions between their parent Battalions in the line of Battle. When they set up, unless drawn back parallel to the infantry Line by myself, they "Stick Out" in front of the Infantry line on their own. As far as "Unrealistic" goes, I direct you to the Campaign of 1708, culminating with the Battle of Oudenarde. During the approach march Marlbourgh himself directed his advance guard commander General Cadogen to "leave his Battalion guns behind as they would hinder the march of his Foot." (Oudenarde 1708 by Belfield, Knight Publishing, 1972). I will say one other thing about pulling the guns from their battalions - Field Expediency. I can absolutely see a Commander on the field needing to cover some area with fire and pulling the guns to do it.

I generally play either as a "Corps" or large "Division" Commander, so far. (I don't play as an Army Commander either - to far away from the fighting. I DO like to get stuck in). I fully agree with the anachronistic aspect of this. Yes, we must compromise within the game and the game engine. Cavalry IS the big issue in my mind here because the AI really doesn't know the difference. I can't imagine ANY Cavalry Commander letting their Horsemen sit there and get shot up without either moving back or charging forward. (Campbell at Fontenoy was in a different spot. His Cavalry were under artillery fire AND had HRH the Duke of Cumberland as a Commander. Not a great combo there.)

Jack

JohnVW - here is the .csv for the range changes. For it to work, put it in a folder named Logistics, then out that one in a folder named "Whatever You Want So You Will Recognize It" and put it in the Mods section of the Game. Let me know if it doesn't work.

File Attachment:

File Name: rifles_2014-08-29.csv
File Size: 3 KB

"Molon Labe"

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #21

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
A,

Now, having blabbed on for way to long, above, I have a question - I have found that the troops don't follow the roads on the Maps you modded, in a "Sandbox" game. I assume that is for a reason. I have no problem with it, just curious. The maps, by the way, are superb, as is every other aspect of this mod. Again, great job.

Jack

"Molon Labe"

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #22

• JohnVW
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
jack...so, I put your file (above) in a folder and call it logistics, then rename the Blenheim logistics folder something else, and then drop your folder into the Blenheim mod folder to replace it?

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #23

The maps that I made are for the scenarios, Luzzara and Blenheim are without roads, Schellenberg and Chiari had some roads removed and Amerdingen has the same roads of Gettysburg map.

A last word from me about cavalry and the 100 or 150 yards musket range, in my opinion the musket range has little to do with cavalry; here you see the problem of sandbox battles against AI

AI send the cavalry against infantry, instead of taking cavalry in reserve or attack enemy cavalry, I didn't find a solution to this behavior, in the next ten minutes after this screenshot 7 squadron charged and were destroyed. What you see in the screenshot is completely ahistorical, in the Marlbourian period cavalry avoided to charge infantry, the role of the cavalry was quite simply to neutralise the enemy cavalry, anything more was a bonus for the commander. So when I was making the mod I've been tempted to give up, but I thought that there is also the multiplayer option in which you are not against the AI.
In conclusion when you play against the AI and unfortunately see the enemy cavalry that is marching against your infantry the only solution to the problem is this

from the second line your cavalry advance in first line to receive the enemy cavalry.
Obviously if you are not the top commander you can't do that and there isn't a solution, this is also the reason why in all scenarios you are always the army or the corps commander.

Cheers

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #24

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Jack ONeill wrote:
the Campaign of 1708, culminating with the Battle of Oudenarde. During the approach march Marlbourgh himself directed his advance guard commander General Cadogen to "leave his Battalion guns behind as they would hinder the march of his Foot." (Oudenarde 1708 by Belfield, Knight Publishing, 1972). I will say one other thing about pulling the guns from their battalions - Field Expediency. I can absolutely see a Commander on the field needing to cover some area with fire and pulling the guns to do it.
Quite true. Battalion guns were at times a hindrance and could slow down an approach march in some conditions. But then they were left behind and not combined into batteries since there was no administrative structure to accomplish this.

Deleting the battalion guns from a scenario or an OOB would be acceptable if you wanted to represent this. Making them into separate batteries would not. That's an important distinction.

In effect I made just such an ad-hoc battery in my first game. I had an Austrian brigade defending the Schellenberg and as you know from the terrain the gabions are down the forward slope of the hill somewhat, especially on the north face looking towards the town. I had the breastworks occupied by infantry and there was no practical position for the battalion guns so I moved 4 of them onto a shoulder of higher ground behind the infantry and extemporized a "battery" there to lob roundshot over the heads of my battalions into the attacking French.

I think that kind of tactic is reasonable. They are still battalion guns in the OOB, their captains have just dragged them into one spot at the behest of the division commander (or second line commander if you prefer to lose the incorrect term 'division') and they function quite well. There is no pretence at inventing a higher organisational structure for them which is what your first post suggested.

Let's not forget that the word 'battery' originally meant a fortified work of earth, gabions, wood, etc dug into the ground as a place to put several artillery pieces, protecting them from enemy fire and usually during sieges. 'Battery' was a term in use at least as early as the Thirty Years War and its from this that we developed the word to mean 'a group of cannon operated together and supervised by one senior officer'. Instead of each cannon being an independent unit and supervised by it's own gun-captain.

The progression of gunpowder artillery in the period of the 1400s through the 1600s in European land warfare is a fascinating one and the gradual militarisation of the arm from an amateur body of individuals, engineers and artisans with their own civilian drivers into the modern part artillery plays in armies today is one of the more instructional parts of how armies and societies develop.

Can you beleive that in 1808 when Spain rebelled against French occupation, her artillery was still organised on Frederican principals with no military corps of drivers or transport? They still used civilian contractors to supply oxen and wagons to draw the army's artillery and supply vehicles. And this was in 1808 - 100 years after the mod we're discussing. Scary.

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #25

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Tank,

Entirely correct. Spain?? Well......

Anyway, you and I are on the same page again, (almost as always). As a side note the Battalion Guns left behind by Cadogan's Advanced Guard, (8 Battalions, 16 Squadrons), eventually showed up where they were posted en masse to cover the approaches to the Bridges from Oudenarde itself. This is what I was trying, (badly obviously),to convey. I'm not removing the Guns from the Battalions. I'm creating new OOBs with them in small Companies to Give the Commander on the ground some flexibility. Yes, the term used was to place the Guns "in battery" as in to batter down the walls with cannon fire.

A,

Your example is spot on. It IS the AI, not the Cavalry itself. I have also tried, (wildly unsuccessfully), to get the AI to at least pretend to understand Cavalry tactics. Not happening. I'm a huge fan of Cavalry and try to make sure combined arms are always used on MY side at least. So far, there have been two HUGE Cavalry vs. Cavalry fights along side the contending infantry. I will always remember reading Webb's account of Palme's English Horse charging the French Foot at Blenheim and "...recoiling in haste, in full retreat and crying out for Foot..." to cover them as they regrouped behind the Infantry lines.

Thanks for the scoop about the roads. Caught me by surprise the first time. Thought I'd done something wrong. (Not the first time).

Goddamn I love this game.

Jack

"Molon Labe"

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #26

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
John,

It has to be this way...

rifles.csv file INSIDE a folder called Logistics.

The Logistics Folder goes INSIDE a independent Folder called something like Blenheim Musket Ranges Mod.

Put THIS Folder in the MODS section of the game.

Activate this Mod as normal in the Modifications section of the running game.

Place this Mod UNDER the Blenheim Mod.

DO NOT rename anything inside the Original Blenheim Mod or you will create problems in the Mod running.

Post back if it doesn't work.

Jack

"Molon Labe"

Re: BLENHEIM MOD 2 years, 8 months ago #27

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Jack. Kevin has done some amazing work with the KSNap mod to get AI controlled cavalry to charge and threaten correctly, but in the early 1800s cavalry was as much a tool to pin and crush weakened infantry as it was to defeat enemy cavalry. Given its different tactical use in Marlborough's time I am not sure what to suggest, but you can look at the gubbins inside the KSNap mod to see what Kevin did there, or drop him a PM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack ONeill

Re: BLENHEIM MOD (error in drills.csv correction) 2 years, 8 months ago #28

I found an error in drills.csv, now the corrected file it is in Blenheim_V_1_0.zip, no need to download drills.csv

Re: BLENHEIM MOD (error in drills.csv correction) 2 years, 8 months ago #29

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
A,

Downloaded the drills file but it downloads as an html file rather than a .csv file. Can we just rename it is is something wrong?

Jack

Mere moments later - I went back to look around a bit and found a note on the bottom right corner saying "if you want to download the original, click here." So I did and it downloaded as a .csv file. Problem solved.

"Molon Labe"

Re: BLENHEIM MOD (error in drills.csv correction) 2 years, 8 months ago #30

• JohnVW
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
I thought the same thing; it has to do with the site doing the download...just try again...click (not try and save) on the link here...then, if you see a page you didn't expect close it, and the actual download page should be there...i'll try uploading it to this post in a sec (probably too big though)...
  • Page:
Moderators: Shirkon, Chamberlain, Flanyboy
Time to create page: 1.33 seconds