Scenario Design - General Questions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scenario Design - General Questions

Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 2 months ago #1

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Was not sure how to title this.....but more to follow!!!!

I wanted to redo an Antietam Confederate Army Stock Scenario AN17, so I copied, and noticed that some Union units were "Take Charge from AI" and other Union unit did not....While positioning troops in my new scenario, I noticed that troops were moving, but figured out that it may be because I copied a scenario with commands written...right?

So I went to a Sandbox game and moved the troops as I learned....Question is....If I'm setting this up as the Confederate Army....does it matter whether Union Troops are "Take Charge form AI" or not?

thanks,
the reb...

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 2 months ago #2

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
Rename the Battlescript while you're designing the new setup, along with turning off the AI and turning on Alpha Omega.
Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 2 months ago #3

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Gettysburg forum perhaps?
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 2 months ago #4

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
What does Alpha Omega do? And if I'm setting the scenario up as the Confederate Army....does it matter whether Union Troops are "Take Charge form AI" or not?

Thanks,
the reb

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 2 months ago #5

• Los
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
It allows you to command both sides. This is very useful to marching and setting up forces exactly the way you want them, then press L to. dump the start locations to a csv, then paste those locations into the scenario csv.

Warning, this should be used in conjunction with turning off he ai, NOAI 1, to avoid wrestling with commanders and Regts doing heir own thing. In this mode the troops will not shoot or react in the presence of enemy forces, and all commander ai us turned off.

And despite what has been said around here about problems, you CAN fight a full battle on both sides using alpha omega. I've done it a number of times up to multiple corps per side with no problems.

In my pbem campaign, in some of the battles I play both sides following the orders of the opposing commanders and giving them updates, sometime cell phone texts with pics of the map or what they see from the saddle. Alpha omega allows me to do this without having to set up a Lan battle. And I can save the battles and pick them back up again whenever. Quite a nice feature!

Los
The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, the reb, Leffe7, Saddletank

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 2 months ago #6

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
I have a very good understanding so far regarding placing troops on the map, and maintaining their formation, position, etc. In short, successful making four playable scenarios.

Now I need to understand how to add reinforcements onto the map at any specific time and location. I reviewed several standard scenarios but really can't get the drift of it.

Any "easy to understand" tutorials on this? Any help appreciated....

thanks,
the reb

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 2 months ago #7

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
I reviewed the Battlescript File and believe most of my questions above are somewhat answered in the Command Column. But where can one get definitions of the commands, some are obvious, most are not? For example, what is the difference between "showunit" and Ashowunit"? What's immortal, tcommon, Amoveto, etc?

Looks like you need to match the ID Name in Column A with the same name appearing in the scenario file.

thanks,

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 2 months ago #8

Check out the pdf that comes with the Software Development Kit (SDK).

I believe this is the appropriate thread that will point you towards the download.

www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifications/51779-sowgb-sdk-ver-16-beta

I'm still working with an older version (lazy I guess), but the back of the pdf that comes with it includes descriptions of the commands.

Doug
The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #9

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
thank you georgerutherford....I now remember seeing this a long time ago, but dismissed it because it was to much over my head....I will review....Your help is appreciated....

the reb..

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #10

I'm just curious as to what you were wanting to re-do?

By the way, I'm considering creating a full open Union Army scenario for the anniversary coming up. That means the full 11 hours battle from the Union perspective, and all forces available from the start. So basically you can do the opposite of what McClellan did, and instead of attack in piece meal, attack aggressively, and bag the whole Confederate Army.

Would that be something folks would enjoy playing?
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
He possessed what a fellow soldier called "an unquenchable thirst for battle." - James I. Robertson on A.P. Hill
Next to a lost battle, nothing is so sad as a battle that has been won. - Arthur Wellesley

In remembrance: John "2nd Texas" Bonin (1977 - 2012)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chamberlain, Zeke, DarkRob

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #11

• DarkRob
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Little Powell wrote:
I'm just curious as to what you were wanting to re-do?

By the way, I'm considering creating a full open Union Army scenario for the anniversary coming up. That means the full 11 hours battle from the Union perspective, and all forces available from the start. So basically you can do the opposite of what McClellan did, and instead of attack in piece meal, attack aggressively, and bag the whole Confederate Army.

Would that be something folks would enjoy playing?

Hell yes! It would be cool if there were two variants of it to. One with historical releases of the various union corps for the history buffs and one as you suggest with all union forces available from the start, a sure disaster for the confederacy. The historical release version could be multiplayer to.
"One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name" - The Call by Thomas Mordaunt

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #12

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Quote "I'm just curious as to what you were wanting to re-do?"

Not sure if that was directed to me but I'm bored because there are no new ACW Scenarios and I'm sick and tired of organizing my army every time I play Sandbox......so I'm writing "what if" scenarios. The only problem with this approach is that I have a heads up on enemy starting positions so I cannot fully enjoy the element of surprise....But in time, and as my mind slowly drifts away, I'll forget these enemy locations and will enjoy.

Right now I'm enjoying writing these scenarios and enjoying learning.....I have seven (C-Army) scenarios
completed and hope to share with others as soon as I can learn how to share....more questions...I also wonder why more gamers within this forum don't write and share scenarios? In the old Talon and Tiller days everyone wrote and shared scenarios.

This is a great game....it's just the ACW side needs some attention given to it....

thanks,
reb

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #13

• Martin James
  • ( User )
  • Brigade Commander
A couple of suggestions:

1. Try using Leffe's scenario generator to create your scenarios. It includes neat options to randomise, or somewhat randomise, set-up, so the creator doesn't know where the enemy is either.

2. If you are happy to play at corps level, try sandbox using one of the OOBs in the Additional ACW Flags & Sprites Mod. Several of these contain corps of widely differing strength, and if you don't check the balanced forces option, the game will randomly select one of the enemy corps. That way you can have both random forces and a random sandbox deployment.

Hope that helps.

Martin (J)
The following user(s) said Thank You: the reb

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #14

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Here's a question.....How do the Scenario and Battlescript files work together? For example, does the designer complete the Scenario File first, hit "L" and then write the Battlescript file? I think for now the only commands I'm going to use would be Hideunit, Showunit and Moveunitto.

thanks,
the reb

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #15

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
does the designer complete the Scenario File first, hit "L" and then write the Battlescript file?

Yes

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #16

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
I'm ready to write the Battlescript File and have organized how I want to do this without getting to difficult...

I'm using the Fredericksburg OOB from TC2M. First thing I noticed is that there are no "OOB_" prefixes in ID Names as used in Column B. Does this matter? And if no, I assume if I can copy the ID Names direct from the OOB into Column B, I'll be ok?

All I want to do is to do the starting locations and reinforcement arrival times for one army. Then it basically becomes a Sandbox Game with the AI.

thanks,
the reb

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #17

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
First thing I noticed is that there are no "OOB_" prefixes in ID Names as used in Column B. Does this matter? And if no, I assume if I can copy the ID Names direct from the OOB into Column B, I'll be ok?

No, the OOB prefix is not required, and yes, you assume right.

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #18

Can anyone provide a link to "Leffe's Scenario Generator" and a how to use it for us non technical types?

Thanks very much.

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #19

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
Capt Saucier wrote:
Can anyone provide a link to "Leffe's Scenario Generator" and a how to use it for us non technical types?

Thanks very much.

www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifications/57494-scenario-generator-for-scourge-of-war

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #20

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
I've been having a great deal of fun making simple scenarios....basically a much improved sandbox game. I did noticed that I'm not having success maintaining orders that I give to the opposing AI side. I give a command to defend (highlighted box) only to find that during my final review, that box is not highlighted anymore?

Any help appreciated?

I'm also having zero luck understanding the Battlescript File but that's discussion for another day.

Thanks,
the reb

Update: I have not proved this yet, but I think I may have it....I added a line in the Battlescript Command Column (Aorders:defend) for the entire army under Rosecan to defend a specific area. The game did not crash and all units are defending (highlighted command).....Make sense?

SUCCESS

Finally got the Battlescript File to execute my commands.....now to the understanding of these commands!!!!

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #21

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Just wanted to thank those who have helped me get to where I'm at with scenario design. I made a simple scenario to act as a proof test for the commands....a nice little tool. Within the Battlesript File I've got the sunrise and sunset, weather working and many common commands....neat!!!!

I'm sure I'll have more questions but again, thanks....

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #22

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Wow!!!!! I'm tackling a What If Gettysburg 3 Dayer....QUESTION: Can the time of a scenario go pass a 24 hour clock? That is....could I do a Three Day Gettysburg in 30 Hours?

Thanks,
reb

and I have gained one hell of a lot of respect and thanks for you designers......well more than I have...

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #23

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
The game clock continues past 24:00. Is the game clock synced to the Battlescript Time Event? If so, the answer would be yes...correct? And with that said, is there a need for AM and PM?

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #24

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
the reb wrote:
The game clock continues past 24:00. Is the game clock synced to the Battlescript Time Event? If so, the answer would be yes...correct? And with that said, is there a need for AM and PM?

Yes, battlescript controls game length. AM and PM aren't necessary since it's all military time based, 2400, etc.

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #25

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Would that limit a scenario length to 24 hours? Say a scenario was set to begin at 08:00; the latest possible end time would be 07:59 as that would mean 23h 59m to the game. Any time after 08:00 would mean just a few minutes or hours. Or did I miss something?
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #26

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
Saddletank wrote:
Would that limit a scenario length to 24 hours? Say a scenario was set to begin at 08:00; the latest possible end time would be 07:59 as that would mean 23h 59m to the game. Any time after 08:00 would mean just a few minutes or hours. Or did I miss something?

For all practical purposes I'd say yes. Still, the event delay column allows for stepping beyond 24 hours...figured in seconds.

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #27

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Thanks guys....I've decided to limit my 3 Days at Gettysburg to 18 hours for the test run. Now if I had a 20 miles map, then yes I would prefer more time on the clock.....

the reb

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #28

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
My scenario crashed Crashed right after I pressed space bar.....
The log showed nothing defined as an error but got line messages I have not seen before. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
reb

Here are parts of the log.....

12:14:43 Loading NSR_Gettysburg_Stuart Leads Lee To the Challenge (C-Army)
12:14:43 Loading Map (Gburg)
06:00:00 Loading Defined Lists
06:00:00 Loading Graphics
06:00:00 Loading Drills
06:00:00 Loading Experience Levels
06:00:00 Loading Personalities
06:00:00 Loading Tables
06:00:00 Loading Orders
06:00:00 Loading Battle Plans
06:00:00 Loading Ground Map
06:00:00 Building Map

06:00:00 Bringing out the dead
06:00:00 Buying Shrubbery

06:00:00 Verifying Terrain Integrity
06:00:00 Planting Shrubbery
06:00:00 Mapping Roads
06:00:00 Avoiding Buildings
06:00:00 Total Collision Objs:836
06:00:00 Drafting chain of command
06:00:00 Chain of Command: Top Commander Maj Gen George G Meade
06:00:00 Chain of Command: Top Commander General Robert E Lee
06:00:00 Loading Battle Events
06:00:00 PRESS SPACE BAR TO BEGIN
06:00:00 SowGB Level Loaded...
06:00:00 12:15:21
06:00:00 GAME SAVED:

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #29

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
Try this...

Rename the battlescript, start the scenario. If it loads OK then the battlescript is the culprit. If it still crashes then it's probably an OOB issue.

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions 1 year, 1 month ago #30

• the reb
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Renaming the Battlescript File worked.....Thanks. I was using the Three Days DRF OOB. I did noticed that a few of my starting positions were off....I'm going play the scenario out and see how close I got to what I expected.

thanks again....
reb
  • Page:
Moderators: Shirkon, Chamberlain, Flanyboy
Time to create page: 1.47 seconds