• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
Update, new scenario:
Unzip and copy to the scenarios folder

File Attachment:

File Name: CHI10-TheFinaleAfternoonofthe20thU-Army.zip
File Size: 38 KB

Put on your DEFEND hats Yankee Generals, because that's what you're gonna do, or perish. Spent a lot of unexpected time scripting the historic attack waves along Horseshoe Ridge with lots of surge forward and then fallback sequences. Had to or else I found that the Rebels under AI control would sweep the ridge in less than an hour. Even with these and other restraints on the enemy, this is still a very tough scenario. I barely managed a Draw (14000 points) with my best test effort to date, but I know it can be beat with better troop shuffling, and that's key to winning this one. So, Yank Generals, as challenged in the Intro:
Hold out to the end, get a Major Victory, and become the latest: "Rock of Chickamauga".

To stay on track historically a successful escape sequence would be standard for this scenario. However, considering the Army of the Cumberland's primary mission was to seek out and destroy the Army of the Tennessee, I don't see how a general retreat, no matter how successful, could ever merit a Major Victory. So, consider this scenario an historical what if: What If the Union Army stood it's ground till dark, dished out more than it received, and didn't suffer the losses resulting from the frantic 'retreating escape' that historically occurred into the night? That would merit a Major Victory in my eyes.

This concludes the battle but not this scenario series; two FULL FINAL DAY unbridled scenarios coming soon.

Main download updated through this scenario, first post.

FYI, I test all these scenarios without the carryover numbers, and for those that want to play them likewise simply adjust the pertinent line in the scenario.ini file (place a semi-colon ; in front of the 'CarryOverFrom=...' line).

If you missed it since we changed thread pages, check out Crikey's great new additions coming soon...Go to Screenshots
Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...

Re: Chickamauga 3 months, 1 week ago #62

• MLandini
  • ( User )
  • Cannon Fodder
RebBugler

Nice scenario - question - playing as Federals - I want to move Rosecrans to different areas of the battlefield, but he keeps reverting back to original position after a few minutes - any suggestions?

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

Re: Chickamauga 3 months, 1 week ago #63

• Jolly
  • ( User )
  • NSD Artist
Saddletank wrote:
Jolly, the silver birch sprites look a little blurry, or is it me?

It's not you, just my imagination with a somewhat more organic approach. Still some ways to go!

David(jolly)

Re: Chickamauga 3 months, 1 week ago #64

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
MLandini wrote:
RebBugler

Nice scenario - question - playing as Federals - I want to move Rosecrans to different areas of the battlefield, but he keeps reverting back to original position after a few minutes - any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks!

It can be easily modded out. Open the battlescript.csv file and delete the rows that start with:
evtcont, OOB_U_William_Rosecrans, altstart
They're all grouped relatively together.

Sorry about this hack on my part. The only way I could find to move the camera around the map with one click was moving ME, then moving ME back.

If you don't want to fool with modding as I proposed, consider moving around Thomas. He's just one OOB click down from Rosecrans making him a fast find.

Glad you're enjoying the scenarios.

Re: Chickamauga 3 months ago #65

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
Update, new scenario:
Unzip and copy to the scenarios folder

File Attachment:

File Name: CHI11-FullDayFinalethe20thC-Army.zip
File Size: 39 KB

Like CHI07, this scenario carries over from CHI05, giving the player another Finale option.

Yesterday I was doing some final testing and wound up getting immersed so went ahead and played it through prematurely. Well, that was all I needed to do I found out. I fell short of a major victory by 1500 points proving this one's plenty competitive since I had a big edge in knowing where the enemy forces were. I also thought that this scenario would be too long to stay interesting, but no way, I needed at least four hours to finally capture all the objectives.
I'm curious as to how long it would take 'top guns' to reach 50,000 points with this one. Maybe someone will start bragging with a screenshot showing a 50,000 points Major Victory score with less than four hours in (1:30 pm), or start the bar anywhere. (screenshot would be in game so the time is indicated with ME selected the minute the score reads 50,000) Might get an informal contest going, making for a little celebration for this soon to be completed series.

Author's Notes:
Not only is this scenario a 'What If' because the player chooses the attack sequences, it's also a 'What If' because the Union line will not be weakened by conflicting orders, it will stand firm. So don't expect it to buckle like it did in CHI07, be prepared for substantially more resistance in the center and right flank.
I think this game is great at revealing questions about this battle, like for this instance: If the Union center had remained intact as originally positioned at 11:00 AM, would the center and right flank have been able to halt and repulse the Confederate attack under Longstreet?
The next scenario (CHI12) will tell us more as the Rebels will attack historically and the Union player will try to hold that center and right flank in relatively the same time span with the resources available historically.

Main download updated through this scenario, first post.

FYI, I test all these scenarios without the carryover numbers, and for those that want to play them likewise simply adjust the pertinent line in the scenario.ini file (place a semi-colon ; in front of the 'CarryOverFrom=...' line).

Re: Chickamauga 3 months ago #66

• Crikey
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Thanks RB. Keep 'em coming.

The 2nd day map is coming along. Just need to add in a few more defensive positions for Thomas in addition to those near Kelly's field. Have also added some battle damage to some of the buildings in that area.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JC Edwards, Chamberlain, RebBugler, Jolly, Saddletank

Re: Chickamauga 3 months ago #67

• Crikey
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Reb/Jolly

I'll be sending through an update later today. 3 versions in all.Tried to represent where the main action took place. So....

Day 1 - minimal battle damage/some light field fortifications, e.g. at Alexander Bridge and Viniard Field, where the Lightning Brigade was involved)

Night Day 1 - for Cleburne's attack. Winfrey Field.

Day 2 - more battle damage and field fortifications, at Kelly Field etc, to represent Thomas digging in.

I've also done some extra screens and (stationary) character sprites for Bragg and Rosencrans, if wanted.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JC Edwards, RDBoles, Chamberlain, Davinci, RebBugler, Jolly, Petrus58, Martin James, Saddletank

Re: Chickamauga 3 months ago #68

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Last pic - the white cabin - it has a bright sunlit side and a darker side in shadow - I thought this lighting technique on buildings was only introduced with the WL engine?

I tell you what would also make this map cooler and that's a minimap done in a period style, all parchmenty colours, etc.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.

Re: Chickamauga 3 months ago #69

• Crikey
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Well spotted, Tank.

Can be done via Power Render. Unpacked the relevant 3D objects and changed the shading settings for the buildings. Repacked in a new Chickamauga specific package file. So, yes, they now resemble those in WL.

A lot of work but gives it a more realistic feel. Transparencies seem to cause problems so I've left the fences alone, merely re-textured them.

If anyone wants to have a stab at the revised mini-map, then feel free.

Am pretty wiped out after far too many days on this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jolly, the reb

Re: Chickamauga 3 months ago #70

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Interesting and well done on the shading.

If you've exhausted yourself it may be time to call a halt. The work so far looks great and I can't wait to try it.

Re: Chickamauga 3 months ago #71

• Jolly
  • ( User )
  • NSD Artist
Stunning work Crikey! You've created a wonderful looking map here. It's a joy to behold (and play)!
Thank you very much, and please carry on!!

David(jolly)

Re: Chickamauga 3 months ago #72

• Crikey
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Thanks but Mark T did all the hard stuff in the first instance. I'm merely tweaking around the edges. All credit rests with him.

I don't know where he gets the energy.

Re: Chickamauga 3 months ago #73

• Jolly
  • ( User )
  • NSD Artist
A bit of mini map work on the original as complement to this mod ...
Attachments:

Re: Chickamauga 3 months ago #74

• Jolly
  • ( User )
  • NSD Artist
A bit of mini map work on the original as a complement to this mod ...

map_2017-03-27.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: RDBoles, Chamberlain, RebBugler, Crikey, Martin James, Saddletank

Re: Chickamauga 3 months ago #75

• Jolly
  • ( User )
  • NSD Artist
the objectives and progress is a bit clearer.

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 4 weeks ago #76

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Minimap looks great. The period look really helps the immersion.

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 4 weeks ago #77

• Jolly
  • ( User )
  • NSD Artist
Attached is the minimap.

David(jolly)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC Edwards, Chamberlain, RebBugler, Saddletank

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 4 weeks ago #78

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
Update, the Scenario Carryover Series is now complete with this 12th scenario. A six month effort, this series should provide for a history lesson while exploring feasible 'What Ifs' and hopefully accompanied by hours of immersive battlefield entertainment.

Unzip and copy to the Scenarios folder:

File Attachment:

File Name: CHI12-FullDayFinalethe20thU-Army.zip
File Size: 39 KB

As brought up before, this last scenario of the series is a litmus test of how the Army of the Cumberland could have achieved a Victory given the same Confederate attack sequences. And if I may emphasize, did my best to script this assault in detail, including numerous sequences of surge forward, fight for a while, withdraw, rally for a while, then repeat.
In addition to shuffling troops around to shore up your defenses where needed, you've also gotta figure out how to get Granger's reserve corps south to your lines through Forrest's Rebel cavalry corps. Not only getting through, but also not drawing that Rebel corps south to your battle lines. Forrest, as historically, will not join the main attack, unless your tactics lure him there. I suggest a save just before you get Granger's corps south staying just north of the Waypoint. This way you can figure out how to get through the Rebel cavalry successfully, because, if Forrest's corps pursues Granger to your lines, chances of a victory are toast.

Here was my last play-test, got Granger through successfully by blowing off the Waypoint and moving way west then south.
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
However, my troop shuffling was not so successful...
CHI12Inc.jpg

Crikey's map upgrades coming soon.

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 3 weeks ago #79

• Jolly
  • ( User )
  • NSD Artist
Getting some nice depth on the map.
Thank you Crikey!
Attachments:

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 3 weeks ago #80

• Crikey
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Thanks Jolly (and for the mini map)

I was unsure whether to mod the csv to lower the tree density. I got the impression from various accounts that the woods were fairly well grazed in 1863, so wouldn't have been as dense as today, albeit there were thicker patches for example around Viniard Farm. Sight lines seemed to range between 50 and 200 yrds. I swapped out some bigger trees for some greyscales to try and get the balance right. Those screens look about right to me but the experts will be along shortly to confirm.

And thanks again to Reb for the extra scenarios. Sounds like there's a pretty full package available now for those interested in Chickamauga.

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 3 weeks ago #81

• RDBoles
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
So exactly where To put the mini map in the mods folder please
Move Forward

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 3 weeks ago #82

• Crikey
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
RDB....

The mini map would normally go in the Chickamauga mod maps folder. However, the revised maps discussed in this thread have been renamed to avoid clashing with the originals, and have yet to be released. Reb is on the case, tho. So the mini map released by Jolly is named to work with that map, not the original.

If you want to use the new mini map with the original map, then you'll need to rename it to match the original mod's mini map. I think it's something like Ch_Chickamauga.dds. You'll need to check that.

You may want to wait for Reb's update if you're unsure how to do that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC Edwards, Chamberlain

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 3 weeks ago #83

• RDBoles
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Cool,thanks for the info, great maps both mini and actual playing one.
Move Forward

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 3 weeks ago #84

• Jolly
  • ( User )
  • NSD Artist
A touch more here and there - another tester pic while roaming around!

tester.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC Edwards, RDBoles, Chamberlain, Davinci, RebBugler, Petrus58, Martin James, Saddletank

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 3 weeks ago #85

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
RebBugler wrote:
simovitch wrote:
I cant seem to get close to any sort of victory with the Union in "Three Bridges". So I checked the points allocation in the maplocations file and it seems pretty heavily stacked against the Union player. Anyone else notice this?

Guess no one noticed, and just figured it out and won it, as I did before I released it. Keys to winning are delay the Rebels' progress to your bridge objective positions and most urgently get your troops safely to your 'Retreat To' objective before they are overwhelmed.

Thanks for reporting this concern. This is a tough scenario by the 'odds against you' factor alone. Add in the necessity for a 'safely executed retreat', and it's a guaranteed challenge.

Damage Control! Apologies, should have checked this one out, but since no one else complained I wrote it off with my above statement. I missed changing one number in the ini file when I changed over to artillery divisions, this screwed up the scenario royally. Fixed scenario attached, unzip and copy to the scenarios folder. Full mod is updated with download link on first post.

File Attachment:

File Name: CHI02-ThreeBridgesU-Div.zip
File Size: 13 KB

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 3 weeks ago #86

You all seem to be approaching the quality of a paid add-on. Terrific job.

Was waiting for Western Theatre in SoW for a long time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, Crikey

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 3 weeks ago #87

• Davinci
  • ( User )
  • Corps Commander
Crikey \ Jolly - Are you Guys combining the Mod - Crikey working on the Map, while Jolly works on the trees?

Good to see some smaller width trees.

Crikey - Question - the wooden structures that you are making and then applying some damage too, do you still plan on releasing the same buildings without damage?

Jolly - your last picture posted the tree's seem to have a slight-breeze blowing through them, it that by designed or by accident, either way its a nice touch.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 3 weeks ago #88

• Crikey
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Hi D

Hope you're well.

The 3D package file contains both damaged and undamaged buildings. Use what you want on release.

I've sent the reworked maps to Reb and Jolly for comment. These contained new packed, terrain sprites as a starter and suggested settings. I'm currently revisiting to address some of Reb's requests. And Jolly, as you can see, is experimenting with terrain sprites to see what can be improved upon.

All pretty informal. But Reb will control final release.

I'll be moving on to other projects once the maps are locked down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Davinci, RebBugler, Jolly, the reb, Martin James

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 3 weeks ago #89

• Jolly
  • ( User )
  • NSD Artist
Nicely summed up Crikey.

Re: Chickamauga 2 months, 3 weeks ago #90

• Jolly
  • ( User )
  • NSD Artist
It's a big map, full of all kinds of big surprises!

BigMap.jpg

A pleasure to work on with the guys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC Edwards, Chamberlain, RebBugler
Moderators: Shirkon, Chamberlain, Flanyboy
Time to create page: 1.25 seconds