• Page:

TOPIC: Kriegsspiel Review

Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #1

• norb
  • ( Admin )
  • NSD Dev
  • There is a time for everything
NSD Programmer/Producer
"Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamaliel 40 A.D.

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #2

• Amish John
  • ( User )
  • Brigade Commander
"We are also working on the next major version of the engine, throwing in lots of great features, but a huge focus on performance, this will come some times after the map pack and will also include another major Civil War battle. We will be putting in all the features that we have wanted to do for years. More than likely it will include battle replay for multi-player and single-player battles among other things.

Norb"

Do you intend that the above mentioned new features and performance improvements planned for the next version of the game engine will be able to be implemented into the current SOWGB engine?
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Amish John.

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #3

• born2see
  • ( Admin )
  • NSD QA Team
  • Skippy Jimmy
Amish John wrote:

Do you intend that the above mentioned new features and performance improvements planned for the next version of the game engine will be able to be implemented into the current SOWGB engine?

Uhh... No.

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by born2see.

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #4

• Amish John
  • ( User )
  • Brigade Commander
born2see wrote:
Amish John wrote:

Uhh... No.

B

Sorry to hear that. Being a Gettysburg fanatic, I'll be sad to see that SOWGB won't be able to be upgraded to take advantage of some of those planned improvements.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #5

• born2see
  • ( Admin )
  • NSD QA Team
  • Skippy Jimmy
Amish John wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Being a Gettysburg fanatic, I'll be sad to see that SOWGB won't be able to be upgraded to take advantage of some of those planned improvements.

I leave it to one of the SOWGB Elders to explain it in more detail.

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #6

Amish John wrote:

It's all actually still under discussion how were going to handle the next major version. Maybe Norb can elaborate more but I wouldn't completely rule out implementing the performance improvements for GB.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
He possessed what a fellow soldier called "an unquenchable thirst for battle." - James I. Robertson on A.P. Hill

In rememberance: John "2nd Texas" Bonin (1977 - 2012)

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #7

I don't mind paying for another game or add on, as all the other stuff I have has went by the wayside except for SH4. I'm a die hard civil war buff and will probably buy as long as you make it.
"To walk into to almost certain death is insane,to do it with honor is heroic."

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #8

• norb
  • ( Admin )
  • NSD Dev
At some point we have to move forward. We have been adding new content and new features to SOWGB for over a year now and it's time to look ahead. Our focus right now is on the next version of the engine. How that backfits is not something we can currently consider, it would only hamper our move forward. Setting limitations on where we are going. When we reach the goal, have everything in that we want, then we'll see how it backfits or maybe forward fits.

It's a struggle on how to keep funding the effort to create the games, while remaining loyal to the community. We aren't experts and will continue to do the best we can. But I think everyone wants to see some of the trickier features, and to do those we have to start with a blank slate and not worry about how to backfit them into the existing codebase.

In the review I was speaking about a product that is more than likely over a year away. I'm enjoying myself, getting time to add the features that I really have wanted for a long time without worrying about it breaking anything that's in there. When we reach the goal, we'll worry about what to do with the GB content, because there's no one that won't want to see the GB content running with improvements, including us.
NSD Programmer/Producer
"Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamaliel 40 A.D.

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #9

Hi.

I can only speak for myself, so here it goes.

I pretty much knew that a new engine build had to be eventually looked at, and I am all for it. I don't see this a threatening the game which is here now, I just see something very cool on the horizon for NSD, and I will support Norb, and team for as long as I can.

So, any ideas you folks like to talk about out loud, or is this all going to be hush hush?

Cheers guys, and I think it's a good move.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Michael Slaunwhite.

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #10

Michael Slaunwhite wrote:
Hi.

So, any ideas you folks like to talk about out loud, or is this all going to be hush hush?

Our plans are set but we don't like to make announcements until we are in beta testing or at least soon to be.

There's still plenty of cool stuff to enjoy until then. There's Pipe Creek, I plan to update the Bonus Scenarios, and Rebbugler is always releasing exciting mods.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
He possessed what a fellow soldier called "an unquenchable thirst for battle." - James I. Robertson on A.P. Hill

In rememberance: John "2nd Texas" Bonin (1977 - 2012)

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #11

• Martin James
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
If Norb & the team think a blank sheet is best, I'm happy to be guided by them.

It would be good if the map formats could be retained though, so we could use the existing maps with the new engine when it arrives. Will that be possible, or are they up for grabs too?

Martin

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #12

LP Wrote:
Our plans are set but we don't like to make announcements until we are in beta testing or at least soon to be.

I fully understand, things can change overnight (that is one of the best things about creating something, you never know where it's going to lead).

There's still plenty of cool stuff to enjoy until then. There's Pipe Creek, I plan to update the Bonus Scenarios, and Rebbugler is always releasing exciting mods.

Oh absolutely. What keeps a game alive for years is it's ability to be modded. Even to this day I still play Doom with the Alein's mod, and I'm still on the look out for new mods which are still being made for it.

I am looking forward to whats coming next from you folks, and I'll be waiting at the door ready to spend my money...your work is top notch, and I will always keep coming back for more!

Cheers...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Little Powell

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #13

That was a very good review. The comments about the AI were spot on. I too, can't think of any game that has a comparable AI.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Little Powell

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #14

• norb
  • ( Admin )
  • NSD Dev
Martin James wrote:
If Norb & the team think a blank sheet is best, I'm happy to be guided by them.

It would be good if the map formats could be retained though, so we could use the existing maps with the new engine when it arrives. Will that be possible, or are they up for grabs too?

Martin

Currently we have no plans on changing the map format. It's not something in the plans, but I cannot promise it won't come up. That's mostly why we don't announce anything too early, we don't want to let people down or set their expectations too high.
NSD Programmer/Producer

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #15

I'm just glad I'm along for the ride and will support your work and as now, promote it as much as possible. It is easy to back what you believe in, as someone who has been in sales and public relations in one form or another for a long time, it's easy to see you have a winning concept and that your idea of business is not one found too often nowadays. I hear integrity in what you are saying and that is something I can use as a model to those whom I have the privilege to teach and advise.
"To walk into to almost certain death is insane,to do it with honor is heroic."

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #16

norb wrote:
we don't want to let people down or set their expectations too high.

Aha! Solidly pessimistic through and through, I like it!
"The time for compromises is past, and we are now determined to maintain our position and make all who oppose us smell Southern powder, feel Southern steel."
Jefferson Davis, 1861

Re: Kriegsspiel Review 2 years, 7 months ago #17

• Davinci
  • ( User )
  • Corps Commander
Great News, build a new engine, while unlocking this one!!!!!

Unlock.....Unlock.....Unlock.....Unlock.....Unlock.....Unlock.....

Sorry, I got carried away!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RDBoles
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.92 seconds