• Page:

TOPIC: R.I.P. John Bonin

R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #1

• norb
  • ( Admin )
  • NSD Dev
  • There is a time for everything
NSD Programmer/Producer
"Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamaliel 40 A.D.

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #2

• Davinci
  • ( User )
  • Corps Commander
Well.....Damn.....I recently talked to him for several hours, but this is a real SHOCKER!

He will be missed!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC Edwards, Chamberlain, RebBugler

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #3

• norb
  • ( Admin )
  • NSD Dev
  • There is a time for everything
We were all taken completely off guard. We have emails from the day before he died discussing map issues and what he was working on next. He was working with most of the guys on some sort of project.
NSD Programmer/Producer
"Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamaliel 40 A.D.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC Edwards, Chonaman, Chamberlain, RebBugler

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #4

He was a gifted map designer and artist and a good friend. I'm really going to miss him.

Thanks Norb.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
He possessed what a fellow soldier called "an unquenchable thirst for battle." - James I. Robertson on A.P. Hill
Next to a lost battle, nothing is so sad as a battle that has been won. - Arthur Wellesley

In remembrance: John "2nd Texas" Bonin (1977 - 2012)
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC Edwards, Chonaman, Chamberlain, RebBugler

R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #5

• RDBoles
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
He will certainly be missed. His work will live on as long as there is anyone who will hear the distant sound of a trumpet, and slow rumble of musket fire. His maps are a work of art. He set a standard that is very high and one worthy of striving for. May the Comforter be with his family and loved ones.
Move Forward

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #6

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
John was my Texas bud, we talked often on Skype and were in constant touch building our War in the West along with our official SOW duties and assignments. We had so many plans for the future in bringing those western battles to SOW. Many were near completion and have already been announced but were delayed by official SOW productions, and will be coming soon after they are provided extra content and tested to SOW standards, that we know John would appreciate. But we had so many more planned outside the SOW production radar and had future plans to tour the Trans Mississippi battlegrounds together to get the true feel of The Ground...I'm devastated with the loss of my Texas comrade and friend, John Bonin.
Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #7

• louie raider
  • ( User )
  • NSD Art Lead
  • super fancy
John was a fellow map-modder and one of the best. He raised the bar on the maps and was a pleasure to work with. He always apologized for the amount of map objects he asked of me; I was always worried the quality wouldn't match the terrain upon which they were placed. I was looking forward to perhaps someday meeting him and going over topography; somewhere out West. I'll miss you TJ.
this space for rent

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #8

• Crikey
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
I'm sickened to see such a generous and talented man leave us way before he should. He was a true artist who was never afraid to share his work and knowledge, offer encouragement or put in the hard graft his brilliant maps required. He knew his stuff.

I'll miss working with him and his e-mails full of excitement at his latest work or piss and vinegar because his terrain textures were driving him mad.

John, you'll be truly missed.

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #9

• Davinci
  • ( User )
  • Corps Commander
Norb , that was a very nice gesture to place a lot of his work on the FB Page, a lot of his work is truly outstanding, most of which I have never seen before.

It's sort of sad to know that he will not be around to see the release of any of the maps that he created!

But, he did leave a mark, in more ways than one!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!

R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #10

http://mazikainen.blogspot.com My wargaming blog

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #11

• JC Edwards
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
  • The Mad One
TJ

ASNIKIYE OIHAKE WANIL MISU KICI WAKA TANKA. AKA CI ICIMANI IYAYA WANA.

The Mad One
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
The following user(s) said Thank You: louie raider, Chonaman, Chamberlain, RebBugler

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #12

Very sad news. He leaves behind his beautiful maps, for us all to enjoy. RIP to a fellow guitarist and an extraordinary designer.

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #13

• Chamberlain
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD QA Team
  • We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
RIP John!

Over the years with TC2M and SOW, you have brought us incredible maps that left our jaws dropped down to our chin after seeing them and saying, WOW !

Thanks for adding your modding talents to the games, you will be missed !!

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC Edwards, Chonaman, RebBugler

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #14

• Chonaman
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
  • Wargamer, Map Designer
This is really a shock. I was in touch with him on Oct. 21st via PM on TC2M boards and he was telling me how proud he was of the maps for the Chancellorsville release. He had found a real love working with the maps for SOW. He truly was a wonderful talent and extremely kind and appreciative of his fellow modders. I am deeply saddened by this loss of someone I considered a friend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC Edwards, RebBugler

R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #15

• Zeke
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Gutted to hear this sad news about John - I emailed him a few weeks ago and didn't get a response I thought he was away - He was a true gent and helped me greatly on the TC2M forum and in researching the Civil War - His talent as a Map artist will leave a legacy here and on the other forums and in the books he contributed in - If his family see this message please accept my deepest condolences from accross the ocean on your loss.

adieu mon ami
I only know two tunes...One's "Yankee Doodle" and the other one isn't!

Ulysses S. Grant

R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #16

• Jack ONeill
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
OMG!

I just got back last night. I'm stunned. How terribly awful. Damn John, you were truly awesome. You will be missed. Your name will be remembered in the Halls.

Jack O'Neill
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #17

• Jim
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Design Lead
  • NSD Dev Team
It is really sad to lose a comrade with no warning. We have a little better appreciation for how the line soldiers felt after a battle when one of their squad members that was there in the morning is gone forever.

Rest in peace John.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC Edwards, Chamberlain, RebBugler, Little Powell

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #18

So very saddened and sorry to read this. I'm learning so much from so many here. May God Bless and comfort all of those left behind.

My best to all...
My Ancestors:

-James Neely Vance, Pvt, 4th Mississippi Infantry, Company F "Sons Of The South", Army of Mississippi, Army of Tennessee
-William Harrison "Hash" Mabry, Pvt, 31st Mississippi Infantry, Company H, and 8th Mississippi Cavalry, Company D, N.B. Forrests Cavalry

Forever UNRECONSTRUCTED!

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #19

• Tacloban
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Very sad to hear this. I have exchanged some emails with him over the years and I felt like some real personality shown through the typing.

Re: R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 10 months ago #20

• garyknowz
  • ( User )
  • SOW Lt General
Wow. Such a terrible tragedy. Made all the more poignant to learn he was just 34 - a few day shy his 35th. We always seem to lose many of our best and brightest, either by war, heroism, or tragedy, far too soon.

My most sincere prayers to the Bonin family.
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim, JC Edwards, RebBugler

R.I.P. John Bonin 4 years, 9 months ago #21

• t-storm
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
  • I am 12 years old
yeah its sad....

i didn't know about him though, i just joined yesterday.
always ready to fight the rebs!
  • Page:
Moderators: Shirkon, Chamberlain, Flanyboy
Time to create page: 1.07 seconds