Gettysburg 2017?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gettysburg 2017?

Gettysburg 2017? 9 months, 1 week ago #1

• exp101
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
I'm strongly considering a pilgrimage to Gettysburg and (probably) Antietam about a year from now (i.e., late Sept/early Oct 2017). IMO the fall is far and away the best time of year to walk battlefields (nice temps, fewer tourists, great warm fall light and colors for photography). Just thinking that it might be fun, if we're still playing this silly game, to see if other GCM-types wanted to gather for, say, a dinner and/or night out and perhaps spend a day walking Gettysburg in the footsteps of Lee & Meade.

Anyway, something to think about!

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 9 months, 1 week ago #2

Great idea, Ron. I certainly would be I the running on this.
Robert MacLeod
John Dillon

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 9 months, 1 week ago #3

It's always a good idea to go to Gettysburg. Some groups call this type of gathering a "muster". I may be interested as well.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
He possessed what a fellow soldier called "an unquenchable thirst for battle." - James I. Robertson on A.P. Hill
Next to a lost battle, nothing is so sad as a battle that has been won. - Arthur Wellesley

In remembrance: John "2nd Texas" Bonin (1977 - 2012)

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 9 months, 1 week ago #4

• kg_sspoom
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Its been a couple of years since we have been there.
The wife loves Gettysburg so count us in.

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 9 months, 1 week ago #5

• exp101
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
My wife's all in too -- since I told her about horseback riding available at the battlefield.

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 9 months, 1 week ago #6

• States
  • ( User )
  • Cannon Fodder
I'd like to see Burnside's Bridge or Bloody Lane the most out of those 2 battlefields but it would all be awesome of course. I've never seen a battlefield in the Eastern Theater. I'd be there if possible, not sure what my situation will be in a year though.

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 9 months, 1 week ago #7

• exp101
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
The two battlefields are within an easy drive of each other. I'll probably scout a place to stay somewhere in between and spend a couple of days at each.

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 9 months, 1 week ago #8

I went ahead and moved this topic to the ACW discussion. Also pinned it so it doesn't get lost. I think it's a great idea to have an "NSD Gettsburg Muster".
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
He possessed what a fellow soldier called "an unquenchable thirst for battle." - James I. Robertson on A.P. Hill
Next to a lost battle, nothing is so sad as a battle that has been won. - Arthur Wellesley

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 9 months, 1 week ago #9

• Mark
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
I drive to Antietam a couple times a year. I'm in. In fact I just got back from Europe (in the airport as we speak) and I'm heading to Antietam Saturday

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 9 months ago #10

Ill be in Lancaster tomorrow, might make it over to Gettysburg early next week.
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
southern solider about northern general sherman

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
northern newspaper about the death of stonewall jackson

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 9 months ago #11

We would need to bring laptops....get into two different rooms and have a battle.

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 9 months ago #12

• exp101
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
A cursory web search suggests that the last couple of weeks in October are best for fall color at Gettysburg (and Antietam too). How would targeting the extended weekend of 10/20 to 10/23/2017 work for folks?

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 9 months ago #13

Seems a bit late. A week earlier perhaps, but you can't please everyone in something like this. At that time of year, every min of daylight counts for something, and the later it is the less time you have to see things on the battlefield.

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 9 months ago #14

• NY Cavalry
  • ( User )
  • Brigade Commander
I am good with those dates

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 8 months, 4 weeks ago #15

• Barrow
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
I played ~80 GCM games from 2010 to 2012, and I'd be interested in attending this, whatever weekend it's held, if I qualify...

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 8 months, 4 weeks ago #16

• NY Cavalry
  • ( User )
  • Brigade Commander
Come by ts and chat it up with Palmer. I don't think anyone except Seal will be turned away.

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 8 months, 2 weeks ago #17

• exp101
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Just a note from observing Gettysburg weather and temps this time of year i.e., potentially 1 year out from our gathering, the highs for most days run from the upper 60's to the mid 70's with maybe 35-40% of them sporting some chance of rain. Not too bad!

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 8 months, 2 weeks ago #18

Yeah I've never been to The Burg this time of year, but the weather should be nice. I went in April one year though and walked Pickett's Charge in the snow!
NSD Map/Scenario Lead

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 8 months, 1 week ago #19

• exp101
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Here's a website that lists the best places in Pennsylvania for fall colors. The excerpt about Gettysburg is set out below. My wife is especially excited about the horseback rides which are available from 1 to 4 hours...
www.visitpa.com/media/story-idea/10-amazing-places-view-fall-foliage-pa

Gettysburg National Military Park - Zone 3
Dutch Country Roads
Gettysburg National Military Park is a must-see for any fall excursion, providing the perfect scenic backdrop for visitors experiencing this historic battlefield. Explore the sights and sounds of battlefield reenactments, monuments, memorials and true history. Gettysburg offers guests a part of the nation’s past all year, but provides optimal trekking treasures in the fall.
Fall Foliage Insider’s Tip
Tour the battlefield on horseback for a unique look at the autumn trees with guided tours from Hickory Hollow Horse Farm in Gettysburg. Visitors can enjoy one to four-hour guided trail rides through the battlefield grounds complete with knowledgeable guides to point out little-known facts and tucked away scenic spots that can only be found on horseback.

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 5 months ago #20

• exp101
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Just FYI, have booked air travel for Gettysburg in October. My wife and I are flying Denver to Dulles and driving to Gettysburg Friday, 10/20 (arriving late afternoon). We'll likely spend Friday night, Saturday and most of Sunday in G-burg, then drive to Antietam Sunday eve. Will check out Antietam all day Monday and Tuesday a.m. then catch a flight home from Dulles on Tuesday 10/24 around 5:30 pm.

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 5 months ago #21

ought to stay in the same place so you all can suffer my shenanigans. I'll pick up beef or at least his metal detector on the way down.

EDIT: Marylander here, miss the good ole days when I went to Gettysburg and Antietam several times a year.

Re: Gettysburg 2017? 4 months, 4 weeks ago #22

• Barrow
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Hello everyone,
My wife and I are interested in attending too, along with our son. We only live ~50 miles
from Gettysburg, so we would probably just make a day trip, but TBD.
  • Page:
Moderators: Shirkon, Chamberlain, Flanyboy
Time to create page: 0.87 seconds