Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: AI tutorial

AI tutorial 1 year, 7 months ago #1

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
Here my (long) tutorial video which explains the concepts necessary to use the AI of divisions and brigades at corps level; I hope is sufficiently clear. More videos in future for explain more in detail single concepts.

Visit my wargames blog: warforgame.blogspot.it/
The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, Petrus58, voltigeur, Saddletank, SJDI, roy64, Volunteer

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 7 months ago #2

• Deeter
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Thanks for this, but I'm having trouble getting through it. The video keeps advancing before I've read everything. Can this be made available as a document?

Deeter

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 7 months ago #3

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
Thanks for this, but I'm having trouble getting through it. The video keeps advancing before I've read everything. Can this be made available as a document?

File Attachment:

File Name: HowToUsetheAI.zip
File Size: 602 KB

Here the pdf of main text, but I think use "pause" in the video is more rapid in order to readh also the notes of gameplay
The following user(s) said Thank You: roy64

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 7 months ago #4

Well done. This has been needed for awhile. I have a question. Is the infantry reaction distance of 150 yd. based on the maximum weapon range of a hardcoded number?
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 7 months ago #5

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
Thanks

Is the infantry reaction distance of 150 yd. based on the maximum weapon range of a hardcoded number

No is not harcoded in the code but it is always the max range of weapon read in the csv file of rifles (the last column of unitattributes for cavalry).

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 7 months ago #6

• skelos
  • ( User )
  • Cannon Fodder
Well, after watching the video, I am even more impressed with the underlying detail and my further lack of knowledge!

Thank you mitra76

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 6 months ago #7

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
Additional tutorials

The following user(s) said Thank You: Grog, voltigeur, Saddletank

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 6 months ago #8

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
The following user(s) said Thank You: Saddletank, Volunteer

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 6 months ago #9

• SJDI
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
I normally keep troops "TCed" because of problems.

I tried to go back to allowing AI control.

With Respect

Work has been done with the AI, But

Why (sometimes):
does the brigade commander face his troops in the opposite/wrong direction?
do regiments face the wrong way (opposite direction)when firing at the enemy?
regiments fail to form square when threatened by Calvary (brigade commander had hold at all costs stance)?
regiments come out of square when threatened by Calvary (brigade commander had hold at all costs stance)?

does the battery commander face his artillery in the opposite/wrong direction?
does the battery commander keep changing the facing of the artillery to point of exhaustion?
does artillery show a target is blocked when there are no friendly's in front or around them?

For me its back to keeping my troops "TCed"

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 6 months ago #10

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
The reasons can be many for the things you listed, I need a more contextualized situation in order to give the exact reason (it can be also a bug in some cases I don't know), if you send me specific saves about the cases you find anomalouses I can check it and give you an exact answer for the specific case.

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 6 months ago #11

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jolly, Saddletank, skelos, Volunteer

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 6 months ago #12

• redcoat
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
many thanks for these.very very useful.

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 6 months ago #13

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jolly, Saddletank, sifis172, skelos, Volunteer

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 6 months ago #14

• sifis172
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
it's already been said. but thank you Mitra76 for the tutorials
they helped a lot. also made me trust more the a.i, rather
than micromanaging everything and thus
give me more time to enjoy the carnage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mitra76

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 6 months ago #15

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jean Lafitte, skelos, Volunteer

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 6 months ago #16

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
The following user(s) said Thank You: skelos, Volunteer

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 5 months ago #17

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
New tutorial

The following user(s) said Thank You: skelos, Volunteer

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 5 months ago #18

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
New tutorial

The following user(s) said Thank You: Volunteer

Re: AI tutorial 1 year, 2 months ago #19

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
New tutorial

The following user(s) said Thank You: Grog, Martin James, skelos

Re: AI tutorial 1 year ago #20

Mitra76 - these AI tutorials have been outstanding! I have been playing this system since the days of TC Bull Run, but after purchasing WL during the Matrix Easter sale, and watching your videos (watched the Brigade AI Tutorial also), I'm playing at a whole new level and will never look back! Thank you for opening a whole new spectrum of this game that I did not previously understand. I am no longer intimidated at commanding corps or even armies - and I'm having good success!

A couple of questions on concepts I am still a little fuzzy on (sorry if I missed these):

1. What is the relationship of the division commander's stance if you set another stance for one or more of his brigades? E.g. division commander stance is "Hold to the Last" and you set one or more of his brigades to "All out Attack"? What is the effect of this? Will the AI division commander "override" (or attempt to) the human players stance selection for one or more of the brigades (i.e. back to "Hold" or "Hold to the Last" depending on characteristics)? Is there an advantage to setting different stances for your brigades than those set for the division commander?

2. A Division commander has "No Stance" or "Neutral" - same for his Brigades. When the Division comes into contact with the enemy, will the Division commander attempt change his stance depending on his characteristics, i.e. change himself and/or one or more of his brigades from "Neutral" to "Defend"?

Thanks again for the hard work in putting these together!

Re: AI tutorial 1 year ago #21

• mitra76
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Dev
Thanks Warez

1. What is the relationship of the division commander's stance if you set another stance for one or more of his brigades? E.g. division commander stance is "Hold to the Last" and you set one or more of his brigades to "All out Attack"? What is the effect of this? Will the AI division commander "override" (or attempt to) the human players stance selection for one or more of the brigades (i.e. back to "Hold" or "Hold to the Last" depending on characteristics)? Is there an advantage to setting different stances for your brigades than those set for the division commander?

The stance of division commander is part of division deployment schema determination (more aggressive, more aggressive schema) which determine also the brigade stances, so a division officer with aggressive stance has more chances to have aggressive brigade commanders but is not a rule, there're many factors involved. Division commanders with hold to the last never determine a schema, so it is the correct stance in order to have the division under more strict control.

The stance set from the players are not changed, but anyway (a part for the case of hold to the last and all out attack) the brigade officers can change them in autonomy in particular situations, like a change of destination given from the player.

2. A Division commander has "No Stance" or "Neutral" - same for his Brigades. When the Division comes into contact with the enemy, will the Division commander attempt change his stance depending on his characteristics, i.e. change himself and/or one or more of his brigades from "Neutral" to "Defend"?

Division commanders don't acquire stance automatically when engage only brigade commanders do; anyway also neutral schema permits the division schema determination (and stances for the brigades as described above)

Re: AI tutorial 1 year ago #22

Thanks for the clarification Mitra76 - that all make sense, and thanks again for sharing all these wonderful insights with us!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.98 seconds