Expanded Toolbar - Grog
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Expanded Toolbar - Grog

Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years, 1 month ago #1

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Expanded Toolbar V - Grog, Version 5.4 (Patch 1.01 Required), April 8, 2017
This toolbar is an upgrade and replaces all previous, similarly named, Grog Toolbars.

This toolbar includes NSD's full arsenal of commands in addition to all the functions and commands that are provided by the context menus. Context menus may be turned off with no loss of functions.

Updates for version 5.4 include:
- Fixed an issue where the generic formations button would freeze up and not allow formation selection

Unzip and copy to the Mods folder:

File Attachment:

File Name: ExpandedToolbarV-Grog.zip
File Size: 4,146 KB

Attention: All SP scenarios played with this mod must be selected through the 'User Scenarios' screen, otherwise they will CTD.

Previous Updates:
Version 5.3: (February 16, 2017) DETAILS
-Inclusion of optional scrollbar function (Hide/Show toolbar slider)
-Telescope views issue with End Screen fixed
Version 5.2: (November 12, 2016)
- Inclusion of Jace11's Foliage mod DETAILS
- Telescope views added to the Zoom command SCREENSHOTS
Version 5.1: (July 24, 2016) DETAILS
-'Formation select' issue addressed
-Re-structured column formation to transition to other formations better
-Re-designed limber and unlimber selection process on level 6 artillery, guns
Version 5.0: (July 20, 2016) DETAILS and Screenshots
-Fourth row of command buttons eliminated and moved to pop-up menus or new positions
-Formation and orders selection moved to pop-up menus
-Command buttons rearranged to better align functions intuitively across rank and unit types
-Hold line formations added for brigade and division levels
Version 4.1 (June 30, 2016): DETAILS
-Unitpack file edited to only include Load sprite data thus minimizing mod conflicts
-Toolbar structure updated to better accommodate wide resolutions
-Optional toolbar layouts provided for wide resolutions, 66W and 80W (rename to toolbar to enable)
-Toolbar buttons adjusted for lower profile
Version 4.0 (June 16, 2016):
-Completely rebuilt utilizing the latest features, and now functions with all supported resolutions. DETAILS and Screenshots
Version 3.2 (September 6, 2015): DETAILS
-Context Menus adjusted for high resolutions
-Formation and text additions and edits
Version 3.1: DETAILS
-'Line' formation movement defaults to Column by Divisions
-'Line Forward Hold Form' formation added to infantry battalion Stand Menu
-Reverted/fixed artillery engagement sequence back to normal
-Corps reserves now consist of nation specific subforms
Version 3.0 (August 3, 2015):DETAILS
-NEW 'Battle Line'
-Battalion line formations segmented by companies per Nation
-Column by Divisions adapted as the default movement mode
-Battalion pop up window with additional formations
-Windowed formation adjustments and consolidation
-HOT Buttons added to Infantry and Cavalry Destination Menus: attackmarch,column or column by divisions, run
-Artillery advance 20 and 50 yards included both on Targeting menus and toolbar
Version 2.0 (July 18, 2015):
-Pop up windows with additional formations DETAILS
-Objective timer relocated above the toolbar
Version 1.1:
-High Resolution version added
-Fixed Zoom tool tip, made TC Officers' button flag red
-Cleaned up redundant GUI internals
Version 1.0:
-French line formations are reconfigured so rows are three deep regardless of battalion strength and sprite ratio
-Zoom function added to the officers' toolbar
-Road March now works on the level 6 toolbar

Thread explaining the various TC commands available on this toolbar:
www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/waterloo-modifications/68658-tc-commands-revealed-explanation-and-usage-keys-to-player-control
Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years, 1 month ago #2

• Anderson
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Hi,

The toolbar, all commands Mod never seems to show up even when I do as instructed.

Go to Mods, left click/select then back and launch battle in the normal way. Even if I Resign, and relaunch, nothing.

Windows 7, doing everything normally I think... Even using new beta patch.. .

Fantastic game.. For many years have said that Combat Mission, Command Ops and Scourge of War are the only games worth playing so not surprised how good it’s.. (BTW.. Flashpoint and now Desert War also right up there but they are new.. )

All the best,
Kip.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years, 1 month ago #3

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Anderson wrote:
Hi,

The toolbar, all commands Mod never seems to show up even when I do as instructed.

Go to Mods, left click/select then back and launch battle in the normal way. Even if I Resign, and relaunch, nothing.

Windows 7, doing everything normally I think... Even using new beta patch.. .

Fantastic game.. For many years have said that Combat Mission, Command Ops and Scourge of War are the only games worth playing so not surprised how good it’s.. (BTW.. Flashpoint and now Desert War also right up there but they are new.. )

All the best,
Kip.

Let's walk through it because I've not experienced, or heard of the issue you've just reported.

First, start the game and go into Modifications. Check the box Expanded Toolbar - Grog, then select Use Selected Mods, this will exit you to the Main Menu. Then Resign. Start the game again and proceed straight to what you want to play (don't go into Modifications again). All buttons should appear and work unless you're playing a stock scenario, unfortunately all functions will not work with these, but they should appear.

Is this what you did?

FYI for everyone. Mods that use the new Layout files won't load until the game is started from the beginning. If you select such a mod in Modifications you must always Resign and restart. If you leave the mod selected then no issue, it will load every time you start up the game.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years, 1 month ago #4

• Anderson
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
RebBugler, hi,

Goodness this is embarrassing..

I was not “checking the box..” just selecting the mod, the line of text with the folder, it would be highlighted a reddish colour then I would return to main screen.

All is well.. extreme apologies.. I certainly didn’t mean to cause you needles work..

Thanks..
All the best,
Kip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years, 1 month ago #5

• zu Pferd
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Thank You Re Bugler for sorting that out for us newbies

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #6

I suspect the answer is no, but figured i'd ask:

is there any way to make the Grog Toolbar scale for higher resolutions? I play at 1920x1080, which unfortunately crams the toolbar into about half the available space.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #7

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
sandman2575 wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but figured i'd ask:

is there any way to make the Grog Toolbar scale for higher resolutions? I play at 1920x1080, which unfortunately crams the toolbar into about half the available space.

Wish I knew a way. Only fix I know of is to build another toolbar with bigger buttons. But that won't happen, which I explained in detail on another thread, drat, can't find it now, searched for a half hour to move it here so folks will understand my reluctance and rationale.

There may be hope for the high rez folks though, MTG is using this toolbar as a template to build a new toolbar for the HITS folks. I'm assuming it will provide for the high rez folks also, keep your fingers crossed for that release.

Ah, found it, from the Beta Patch Thread:

Yeah, bigger buttons seems to be the primary concern. This would be a tall order simply because this toolbar is so complicated. It has multiple layers and each layer would have to be redesigned. Then, there's two toolbars to keep updated and upgraded. With the higher resolutions folks think that there's wasted space to the right that could be used, that's wrong. If you get into the app you'll understand, the toolbar can just grow upwards, then, this would confound and irate folks and possibly morph into a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.

For now I'm not planning on pursuing this, maybe down the road it could be considered. I'm part of the older generation you guys mention that bigger buttons will help, but I don't get it. I'm perfectly happy playing at the default 1024x768 resolution on my 47" HDTV. I've also suggested 2080x1024, this is as high as I would ever consider to go, but I don't even need that. I've tried the larger resolutions but I gain no advantage in immersion, I see that the view is more expansive and spread out, but the objects and sprites appear no better. I can achieve all the expansion I need with hovering around.

Enough of my narcissism, which is really what it boils down to. I think most modders begin to fix things for their own tastes, I certainly did. Then as they share their ideas and creations with others they find the fulfillment of giving and sharing. Still, I find it difficult to build stuff for others which I basically have no interest or need for...

...unless I get paid.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #8

Thanks for the detailed reply, RebBugler. The Grog UI is so superior to the vanilla that it's a shame Waterloo didn't ship with it as the default UI (with higher res scalability, of course ).

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #9

Wish I knew a way.

Change your measurements from pixels to %.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #10

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Marching Thru Georgia wrote:
Wish I knew a way.

Change your measurements from pixels to %.

Hmmmmm...Another thing we'll need to discuss on Skype. FYI folks, we keep missing each other's calls.

I know how to do this, but I can't get through the multiple layers now to do it. Would have to start from scratch. Maybe you can clue me in, if we ever can have the same free time for GUI discussions, and other stuff.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #11

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
I'm aware of part of the history behind the decision to move to MyGUI for the new game, but so far after several weeks of playing and the issues like the one in this thread I think it was the wrong decision. It has caused all kinds of less-that-stellar customer feedback and every which way I turn I see comments that indicate its not doing the job players want it to, and isn't mod-friendly enough.

Maybe down the road a later game patch may reconsider abandoning MyGUI entirely and going with something more robust and flexible. It sounds like MyGUI is great for shooters and simple games but not for an interface as dense and complex as SoW.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jean Lafitte

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #12

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Version 1.1 Update, plus the addition of basically it's clone, High Rez, built for higher resolutions.

Thank MTG for making this possible, he gave me the solution in a previous post. I initially balked, as this was a three day marathon, don't know how many hours. But the demand was there, and all the kudos for my original couldn't be ignored, thanks again folks.

Anyway, hope it works for you all. I've only tested it at 2080x1024, works nicely for this on my 47" HDTV although a bit stretched out with screen on full. It's not as clean as the original due to using percentages rather than pixels, but I think it fits the bill, or at least I hope so.

The big bummer though is now I must update two toolbars. I was hoping the High Rez version could just replace the original, but no way, it has serious issues at the default resolution. So no need to report these, as I'm just stuck with double updates forever. Oh well, such is the life of modding. Maybe a solution will come along, here's hoping.

Enough yak, download the High Rez and please report. I'll get ready for the worse and hope for at least some OK's. Thanks again for being fans of the original.

Oh, download is on the first post...of course.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #13

• RDBoles
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Looks great and works great. BZ26V
Move Forward

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #14

• conjotter
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Hi Reb.

Just to be clear about this improved grog toolbar.

Is it necessary to delete the grog toolbar that came with the game before installing this latest version?

Just trying to be careful about deleting files.

Thanks!

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #15

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
conjotter wrote:
Hi Reb.

Just to be clear about this improved grog toolbar.

Is it necessary to delete the grog toolbar that came with the game before installing this latest version?

Just trying to be careful about deleting files.

Thanks!

Affirmative, delete all previous 'similarly' named Grog Toolbars. Also, as new updates are introduced, overwrite or delete previous versions. I'll keep the name(s) the same from now on so they can simply be overwritten.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #16

RebBugler wrote:
Version 1.1 Update, plus the addition of basically it's clone, High Rez, built for higher resolutions.

Thank MTG for making this possible, he gave me the solution in a previous post. I initially balked, as this was a three day marathon, don't know how many hours. But the demand was there, and all the kudos for my original couldn't be ignored, thanks again folks.

Anyway, hope it works for you all. I've only tested it at 2080x1024, works nicely for this on my 47" HDTV although a bit stretched out with screen on full. It's not as clean as the original due to using percentages rather than pixels, but I think it fits the bill, or at least I hope so.

The big bummer though is now I must update two toolbars. I was hoping the High Rez version could just replace the original, but no way, it has serious issues at the default resolution. So no need to report these, as I'm just stuck with double updates forever. Oh well, such is the life of modding. Maybe a solution will come along, here's hoping.

Enough yak, download the High Rez and please report. I'll get ready for the worse and hope for at least some OK's. Thanks again for being fans of the original.

Oh, download is on the first post...of course.

Wow, terrific news. Will give this a try right away.

Huge thanks, RebBugler!!!

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #17

• conjotter
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Thanks Reb.

I think that did the trick.

One follow-up.

Now after selecting the updated toolbar mod in the game there is no written commentary about the mod on the right-hand side of the screen.

Correct?

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #18

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
conjotter wrote:
Thanks Reb.

I think that did the trick.

One follow-up.

Now after selecting the updated toolbar mod in the game there is no written commentary about the mod on the right-hand side of the screen.

Correct?

Thanks!

Intro is there, last thing I edited. Make sure you select the name, not just check the box.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #19

• Xreos1
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Thanks Reb

Works in 1600x900: the strength, experience and causality boxes are slightly cut off top and bottom (maybe flattened is a better description).

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #20

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Xreos1 wrote:
Thanks Reb

Works in 1600x900: the strength, experience and causality boxes are slightly cut off top and bottom (maybe flattened is a better description).

Would appreciate a screenshot if you want to help improve this. No guarantees, but gathering the views of different resolutions might help find more universal solutions.

Use Chrome or IE for attachments, Firefox won't work with this site.

Thanks a bunch for your response!

Oh, and one other thing. When you play the Stock Toolbar at that resolution, are the same info readouts cut off also?

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #21

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Many, many thanks for this update Reb. You went out of your comfort zone to help the community on this. I know you and I disagree on quite a few things but you are a great supporter of the community and a prolific modder. I for one am very grateful you're here.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, con20or, HoldTheLine

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #22

• Xreos1
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Here are the pics.
Attachments:

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #23

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Update to 2.0...Formation Toolbars added. Getting late, write up tomorrow. In the meantime, reports of how intuitive it is to figure out would be appreciated. Spotting the formation button, finding the right arms, cavalry, etc.?

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #24

• uxbridge
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
I've installed version 2 (and many thanks for your work on this) and have some questions:
1) The column by division command seems to be absent
2) In your notes you mention artillery movements of 20 and 50 yards, and assault lines commands. I can't see these anywhere.

There used to be lots more buttons on the inf/cav/art popup - have they gone because they only duplicate ones in the main (grog) toolbar?

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #25

• NY Cavalry
  • ( User )
  • Brigade Commander
Red,

Thanks for saving this game for many of us with this toolbar.

The assault columns and column by divisions seems to be missing. Could we provide some suggestions when it comes to formations that we would like to see?

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #26

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
uxbridge wrote:
I've installed version 2 (and many thanks for your work on this) and have some questions:
1) The column by division command seems to be absent
2) In your notes you mention artillery movements of 20 and 50 yards, and assault lines commands. I can't see these anywhere.

There used to be lots more buttons on the inf/cav/art popup - have they gone because they only duplicate ones in the main (grog) toolbar?

Thanks!

1) Attackmarch replaces the Column by Division formation, the Formations button replaces attackmarch. Column by Division is now included in the pop up formations window.
2) Assault lines are there, but yikes, where are the artillery move forward 20 and 50 formations? I'm going bonkers I guess, fix with next update.

All spaces should be filled on the brigade level, maybe a restart with toolbar selected and enabled?

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #27

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
NY Cavalry wrote:
Red,

Thanks for saving this game for many of us with this toolbar.

The assault columns and column by divisions seems to be missing. Could we provide some suggestions when it comes to formations that we would like to see?

Much Appreciated!

See previous post by me concerning missing buttons.

Please do make suggestions and feel free to provide formations you have tested to work correctly. I'll then include them in the next patch or so, maybe after some discussion and tweaking.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #28

• NY Cavalry
  • ( User )
  • Brigade Commander
I don't use the pop up formations window. I'll stick with the old version.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #29

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Version 2.0 update, featuring popup Formation Toolbars...

FormationsPopup.jpg

Attackmarch replaces the Column by Division formation, the Formations button replaces attackmarch. Column by Division is now included in the pop up formations window.

These toolbars (eight total - levels 5 and 4, Allied infantry, French infantry, cavalry, and artillery) contain most of the formations available in the Drills.csv file. Also additional formations are included.
Info:
1) To differentiate between the three arms, infantry, cavalry, and artillery, the correlating menu tabs must be selected. Menu tabs turn brown when selected. The game opens with Infantry as the default selection.
2) Brigade level and above are included only. Battalion level may be included later if lobbied for.
3) Some formations are duplicated from the toolbar to fix stock inconsistencies, others are duplicated more or less for place holders. The latter can be replaced or removed as per community feedback, IOW I went with orderly appearance rather than practicality in some cases.
4) Click out to close unused formation window.
5) Corps level formations added to the toolbar.

Redesign:
1) Brigade level battalion squares now line up in a checkerboard fashion, as historically.
2) French Column by Line battalion level formations maintain their '3 rows deep' regardless of strength or sprite ratio.
3) Artillery double line, second line adjusted to front row gaps.

As mentioned in an earlier post, please feel free to make suggestions and provide formations you feel the game and community can benefit from. Thanks again for all the support of this mod.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 years ago #30

• uxbridge
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Something must be screwy with my install - here is how the grog toolbar comes up for a standard sandbox divisional level battle. I have restarted and there is only one toolbar mod available and it is v2.0

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=525FFA858FFC7ECF!110&authkey=!AOJeHAnK8ZaD1oI&ithint=folder%2cjpg
Time to create page: 1.40 seconds