Expanded Toolbar - Grog
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Expanded Toolbar - Grog

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 5 months ago #151

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
mkeogh76 wrote:
Is that new "telescopic" view optional? If not then would there be a way to delete it so as to keep the regular zoom views?

As a HITS player who uses the zoom views a lot, I know I'd find that fake telescope view more annoying than immersive. No offense meant because it's strictly a matter of personal taste.

Overall, I find this mod to be indispensable. The changes NorbSoft made to the vanilla UI with Waterloo were almost game-breaking in my viewpoint as a HITS player. If it wasn't for the Expanded Toolbar then I probably would have shelved Waterloo. The Expanded Toolbar saved these games for me.

Right now, I can keep on using the older version of this mod, but if the older version becomes obsolete due to a patch then I hope newer versions of the Expanded Toolbar make the new telescopic view optional or something that could be easily removed without breaking the mod.

No solution presently for an option, but it's easy to mod out. Open Layout/toolbar.layout and delete these two lines:

1628 <UserString key="OnClick1" value="togglehud"/>
1629 <UserString key="OnClick2" value="loadbar:Zoom"/>

or,

...just use the Z key on the keyboard for zooming
Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 4 months, 4 weeks ago #152

• xray
  • ( User )
  • Cannon Fodder
Hi RebBugler

I can’t help heaping praise upon praise but if it wasn’t for your Toolbar Mod I would probably just have left the game mostly unplayed on my HD.

I’m now up-to-date with all the extras and really love the game.

Now for my request if you have any spare time

I am one of the players that run the game in 1920x1080 and find the toolbar a little large and stretched. A while back you brought out a small number of fixes the best one for me was your 2016-06-24 version.

Now you have moved on with further excellent additions I’m not sure that using the old fix works as you designed your mod to work.

Is it possible you could bring out another hot fix to bring me up-to-date for my 1920x1080 screen?

Thanking you in anticipation,

Xray
The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, Clerc

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 4 months, 4 weeks ago #153

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
xray wrote:
Hi RebBugler

I can’t help heaping praise upon praise but if it wasn’t for your Toolbar Mod I would probably just have left the game mostly unplayed on my HD.

I’m now up-to-date with all the extras and really love the game.

Now for my request if you have any spare time

I am one of the players that run the game in 1920x1080 and find the toolbar a little large and stretched. A while back you brought out a small number of fixes the best one for me was your 2016-06-24 version.

Now you have moved on with further excellent additions I’m not sure that using the old fix works as you designed your mod to work.

Is it possible you could bring out another hot fix to bring me up-to-date for my 1920x1080 screen?

Thanking you in anticipation,

Xray

Much Appreciated!

In the Layout folder please find toolbar - 66Wide.layout. This is the file provided for wide screen formats. Simply rename it to toolbar.layout after you rename or delete the original toolbar file.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 4 months, 4 weeks ago #154

• roy64
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Now the telescopic view has gone
Leicestershire

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 4 months, 4 weeks ago #155

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
roy64 wrote:
Now the telescopic view has gone

I missed one update, but the latest has it. Please check that you have the latest update. Thanks for the report regardless, glad you're keeping up with the wide format option.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 4 months, 4 weeks ago #156

• roy64
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Your right I missed one, all fixed now thanks.
Leicestershire
The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 4 months ago #157

• Hunt82
  • ( User )
  • Cannon Fodder
I'm trying to learn the game, and I almost at once began to use the toolbar, because it seemed to me that the stock menu is rather lean of commands of the napoleonics era unit can be ordered. But to be honest I can't say I'm a very pro of those battles, so I don't know the history very good and I'm not very good in managing the game. So if it comes out I am an idiot I'm very sorry...
Firstly when I played without this mod I saw that units could not attack in columns, when they were approaching to the enemies they always made the line formation. I played with the mod but they dont attack in the columns again, at least in the form I imagine to be. Isn't this type of attack the very typical elements of that period? Or I misunderstood something?
Next today was this issue, after some times the formations button (for infantry division commander) became inactive, just I clicked it but no menu appeared.
And I dont know is it a feature of the game or a bug of the mod, or something. When I detach a battalion to defend a flag where my alterego is, this batalion after some time "wants" to move with its basic division and its attemps going to be growing more and more.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 4 months ago #158

• Destraex
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Foliage mod is amazing!

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 4 months ago #159

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Hunt82 wrote:
I'm trying to learn the game, and I almost at once began to use the toolbar, because it seemed to me that the stock menu is rather lean of commands of the napoleonics era unit can be ordered. But to be honest I can't say I'm a very pro of those battles, so I don't know the history very good and I'm not very good in managing the game. So if it comes out I am an idiot I'm very sorry...
Firstly when I played without this mod I saw that units could not attack in columns, when they were approaching to the enemies they always made the line formation. I played with the mod but they dont attack in the columns again, at least in the form I imagine to be. Isn't this type of attack the very typical elements of that period? Or I misunderstood something?

This can be modded as so. Problem is that once firing from columns is allowed battle lines won't form automatically when engaged. There are also other issues, like effectiveness being the same, it shouldn't considering firing line fronts.

Next today was this issue, after some times the formations button (for infantry division commander) became inactive, just I clicked it but no menu appeared.

This shouldn't happen. It may be a bug I missed. Give me more details so I can check it out, scenario, unit, etc. Thanks

And I dont know is it a feature of the game or a bug of the mod, or something. When I detach a battalion to defend a flag where my alterego is, this batalion after some time "wants" to move with its basic division and its attemps going to be growing more and more.

This is normal behavior for detached. Detach works with player control and scripting, but not when the AI takes over. So be aware that a detached unit will only stay detached as long as it's commander is TC on.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 3 months, 2 weeks ago #160

• Asid
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Issue with Toolbar?

Hi RB

I have noticed a few times that when I ask my commander to double time, my subordinates do it as well. The icon on the toolbar lights up as well. So both of them light up as if they are joined.

This has happened a few times.

This is with no mods.

Regards

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 3 months, 2 weeks ago #161

• Martin James
  • ( User )
  • Brigade Commander
RebBugler wrote:
This is normal behavior for detached. Detach works with player control and scripting, but not when the AI takes over. So be aware that a detached unit will only stay detached as long as it's commander is TC on.

Never knew that. Is this also the case with GB please, Reb?

Martin (J)

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 3 months, 2 weeks ago #162

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Asid wrote:
Issue with Toolbar?

Hi RB

I have noticed a few times that when I ask my commander to double time, my subordinates do it as well. The icon on the toolbar lights up as well. So both of them light up as if they are joined.

This has happened a few times.

This is with no mods.

Regards

Thanks for the report. To fix it I need specifics - which level, brigade, division? Which commander and unit may also help. I'm assuming this is on the toolbar, not the context menus.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 3 months, 2 weeks ago #163

• Asid
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Hi Reb

It was on the toolbar itself and not the context menu. as for the other info. I do not have it. If I see it again then I will collect the info.

Maybe it is possible for you to check things if you get a spare minute until I provide more info? That would be appreciated.

Regards

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 3 months, 2 weeks ago #164

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Martin James wrote:
RebBugler wrote:

Never knew that. Is this also the case with GB please, Reb?

Martin (J)

Yes, I discovered it modding TC2M, it's characteristic of all the TC games. It's not really a bug because the AI doesn't use or know detach, instead it uses the 'reserve' stance to make units idle.

I'm pretty sure I requested this to be addressed years ago, but regardless, it wasn't. I've always pushed for better player control and this is one of those circumstances, but adjusting the AI for player convenience is highly scrutinized, and generally winds up in the 'future depot'.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 3 months, 2 weeks ago #165

• Martin James
  • ( User )
  • Brigade Commander
Many thanks for info and background.

Martin (J)

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 3 months, 2 weeks ago #166

• Hunt82
  • ( User )
  • Cannon Fodder
RebBugler wrote:

This can be modded as so. Problem is that once firing from columns is allowed battle lines won't form automatically when engaged. There are also other issues, like effectiveness being the same, it shouldn't considering firing line fronts.

I got it now. Seems this is an issue of the game engine that still remains to be mostly of the civil war age...

RebBugler wrote:

This shouldn't happen. It may be a bug I missed. Give me more details so I can check it out, scenario, unit, etc. Thanks

ok i will made a video or like that as soon as i will play. After I saw I cannot attack with columns I neglected the game. May be we should post about it to the NSD members and they fix it with the next patches? I don't know.
Anyway thanks a lot!

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 3 months, 2 weeks ago #167

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Hunt82 wrote:

Did a quick mod of the drills file which allows Column by Division formations to engage and fire. Also did a quick test and was surprised that the AI still uses line to engage, and sometimes Column by Division, cool.

Copy to the Logistics folder:

File Attachment:

File Name: drills_2017-01-11.csv
File Size: 221 KB

Rename attached file to drills

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 months, 1 week ago #168

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Update, version 5.3:

- Inclusion of optional scrollbar function (Hide/Show toolbar slider)

Function:
Only shows the toolbar when the cursor is moved to the bottom of the screen. Toolbar slides up from the bottom, slides back down out of sight when not in use.

How to Enable:
1) In the Layout folder find the file 'toolbar.layout'. Rename it (example: toolbar0.layout).
2) Next find the file 'toolbar - Scrollbar.layout'. Rename it to toolbar.layout.

One Downside:
Toolbar only slides up for player's units. Still, the blank toolbar area can be used for 'right click hold' camera panning.

- Telescope views issue with End Screen fixed
This was a reported bug, should be fixed now.

I had one vague report about unit run issues. I did some testing and found no issues so hopefully that was a misunderstanding or something else. Regardless, help make this mod totally reliable by reporting any issues found, OK folks...and Thanks.

And for now, try out the new full toolbar slider function, it may prove to be a HIT with the HITS folks.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 months ago #169

• Pop1
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Hi Feb, thanks for the new drills file & for fixing the telescope problem.

I wanted you to know I have experienced the same problem reported by Hunt82 of the commander formation options being blanked out. I have not worked out what triggers this yet. In some instances the option returns after a time - a long time, at other times it remains a problem. I think, but can't be sure, that I have also had the problem using the Solferino Mod. When I experience it again I will send you some screen shots & details of what was happening at the time.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 months ago #170

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Pop1 wrote:
Hi Feb, thanks for the new drills file & for fixing the telescope problem.

I wanted you to know I have experienced the same problem reported by Hunt82 of the commander formation options being blanked out. I have not worked out what triggers this yet. In some instances the option returns after a time - a long time, at other times it remains a problem. I think, but can't be sure, that I have also had the problem using the Solferino Mod. When I experience it again I will send you some screen shots & details of what was happening at the time.

Much appreciated, glad that Drills version, column by divisions FIGHT, is working out for your playing style and immersion.

Thanks for confirming that blank formation issue. If you can eventually get a screenshot with the bugged unit selected I'll scramble to fix it. So far I can't replicate it, and what I can't replicate I can't fix, obviously.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 months ago #171

• Pop1
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Hi Reb,

I have done some tests using a quick sandbox game. You can see that the normal formation command button has been replaced by what I think is a unit formation button, which can't be clicked on.

Screenshot of problem

[/attachment]

Events leading up to this were minimal. The formation made two moves prior to this problem happening. When I returned to it to give it a further order/command then I found it had gone into this error mode.

I did some experiments and it would seem that sending a courier order to the commander 're-sets' the button back to normal, but only if that courier order contains a formation.

The OOB used was Foy's Division from the Quatre Bras OOB.
The MODs running at the time were, in order:
Realistic Smoke
Eylau
Meckel Stronghold
Italian Maps WL
Hannover Flags Sets 2-3
Dragons de la Garde Mod
Expanded Toolbar V - Grog (latest version, although I had this problem with the previous version as well.

In addition to this problem I also have another:
SKIRMISH UNITS BEING RECALLED WHEN THE FORMATION COMMANDER IS GIVEN ANY 'STANCE' OTHER THAN "NO ORDERS".

When split units are deployed as skirmishers they automatically rejoin their parent unit when the Formation Commander is given any stance order (All out attack, Attack, Probe, Defend, Hold, Hold to the Last). This happens even if the parent units of the detached skirmisher/split unit has been detached from the formation. This often occurs in my games when a commander has TC ON applied and I give them a stance order. Quite annoying to see all of the detached skirmishers rejoin their units.

Hope this helps with problem, if you need more info then please let me know.

PoP 1
Attachments:

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 months ago #172

• Pop1
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Hi Reb,

further to my post below regarding the command option problem, I started one of the QB scenarios, via User Scenarios, the Namur Road. At the beginning of this scenario, even without giving a single order, both brigade commander had this problem. A courier message had to be sent to each of them to change formation before any other formation orders could be given. The commanders themselves can be ordered to move, or TC ON/OFF, but no formation orders can be given.

Pop 1

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 months ago #173

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Pop1 wrote:
Hi Reb,

further to my post below regarding the command option problem, I started one of the QB scenarios, via User Scenarios, the Namur Road. At the beginning of this scenario, even without giving a single order, both brigade commander had this problem. A courier message had to be sent to each of them to change formation before any other formation orders could be given. The commanders themselves can be ordered to move, or TC ON/OFF, but no formation orders can be given.

Pop 1

I tested this scenario and didn't experience the issue. Both brigades showed the generic formation button and it was active, and worked as designed. It brought up the formation window when clicked. Would you please turn off other mods and see if the button is still DEAD.

I have done some tests using a quick sandbox game. You can see that the normal formation command button has been replaced by what I think is a unit formation button, which can't be clicked on.

Can't bring up the screenshot. Use Chrome for attachments, Firefox won't work for attachments if that's your issue.

Regarding the skirmish issue, does this just occur with the Grog Toolbar activated? Please check if you haven't because this is a new issue for me. I do know that attack and probe stances send out skirmishers automatically, I didn't know they called them in when switched to a defensive stance, but that does make sense.

Thanks for all this feedback and help. Please keep on me about this formation button issue, maybe together we can corral this bug.

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 months ago #174

• Pop1
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Reb, I have used CHROME to attach the file, it is a JPEG.

Ive attached it again using a couple of more formats PNG & GIF
0SubCmdProblem.gif

0SubCmdProblem.png

0SubCmdProblem.jpg

I will try without any other MoDs to see if I can replicate the issue, as it is random and does not happen all of the time that may take me a while.

I will explore the Skirmisher issue further - I only use the Grog Toolbar so it will also be a learning experience using the vanilla game!

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 months ago #175

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Pop1

OK, I'm seeing the screenshots now. What I'm seeing is normal, I thought you had mentioned a blank button for the 'open formations window' button. The button you're showing is the generic formations button, it shows when the formation is other than what the grog toolbar has in it's library, usually sandbox specialty formations. If you can click on this generic formations button and then up pops the multiple formations window, then it's functioning correctly. If it is DEAD, won't highlight when moused over or execute by bringing up the formations window, then that's the bug we're looking for. So, after all of that, is the button in the screenshots functional?

Again, much appreciated!

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 2 months ago #176

• Pop1
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Reb,

the button is DEAD, cannot be selected and does not highlight when moused over.

I never see the generic formation button for commanders at any other time, the button normally shows the formation currently adopted and this generic button only ever appears in the dead mode as described.

I have now stripped out all MoDs from the MoD folder and when I load using only the GROG Toolbar I see the generic buttons and they work fine. I will now try adding the MoDs one at a time until the problem returns then hopefully you will be able to see if there is any clash/conflict.

Still working through these options I will let you know what happens.

Re SKIRMISH/SPLIT UNIT recall. I have the same problem with the vanilla game, so it's not an issue with your Toolbar MoD. Which is the best forum to raise the issue in, Nuts & Bolts?

Pop1

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 1 month, 4 weeks ago #177

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Pop1

You're making great progress, I'm anxious to hear which mod is causing the DEAD button issue, thanks.

Yeah, Nuts & Bolts is the section for reporting your skirmishers issue. Like I mentioned, I doubt if it is a bug, but you may get clarification about it's design and how to prevent split off units from joining back when stances change. Have you tried detaching them?

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 1 month, 3 weeks ago #178

• Pop1
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Skirmish / Split Units recall happens when parent unit and / or the split unit have been detached, and even if TC has been applied. I will raise the issue in the Nuts and Bolts forum, although you seem to think it a reasonable thing to be happening?

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 1 month, 3 weeks ago #179

• Pop1
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Hi Reb,

still doing tests for the Formation button problem. I have stripped out all MoDs other than Grog, but I'm still experiencing issues so I just wanted to check something with you before I continuing testing. I am doing a combination of sandbox and stock scenarios, and trying all of the OOB options, the various command levels and also different orders stance to see if I can get a consistent set of conditions that trigger the problem.

I don't get consistent start conditions for this button. Sometimes when I start a stock scenario I get the generic formation button - and this is usually active at this point. If I see it then it's usually not applied to Artillery commanders or, so far, to my own selected commander. Lets call this condition A.

0FormationButton1.jpg

At other times I see the actual formation that is currently adopted by the formation. This is usually the default start state for all when I start a sandbox game, which I play a lot of as I don't find the stock scenarios very well designed, and is always the default start condition for my selected commander. Lets call this condition B.

0FormationButton2.jpg

My questions are:
1. which of these two start states would you normally expect to see, A or B?
2. which commanders would you normally expect condition A to apply to?

Thanks,

Pop1

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog 1 month, 2 weeks ago #180

• RebBugler
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Designer
Pop1 wrote:
Hi Reb,

still doing tests for the Formation button problem. I have stripped out all MoDs other than Grog, but I'm still experiencing issues so I just wanted to check something with you before I continuing testing. I am doing a combination of sandbox and stock scenarios, and trying all of the OOB options, the various command levels and also different orders stance to see if I can get a consistent set of conditions that trigger the problem.

My questions are:
1. which of these two start states would you normally expect to see, A or B?
2. which commanders would you normally expect condition A to apply to?

Thanks,

Pop1

You're a great help, couldn't ask for more.

Regarding the questions...
1) B Because most formations should be recognized by the Drills.csv file included with this mod
2) As I mentioned before, sandbox sometimes uses formations that are not recognized, producing the generic formation button. Also other mods can bring in unrecognized formations. The generic button is a failsafe, once clicked and a formation selected it updates the unit to the correct formation protocol, within the Grog Toolbar's 'recognized formations' sphere.

Much Appreciated!