Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: KS Mod Images

KS Mod Images 2 years, 3 months ago #1

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
A thread for users of the mod to post screenshots or videos.

Cuirassiers doing what they do best - hurling themselves at squares. This time its the Brunswickers.

HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ingles of the 57th

Re: KS Mod Images 2 years, 3 months ago #2

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Battle of Bauershof des Tigres.

This was an MP game played Friday 10 July with 5 players teamed as the French co-operatively against the Austrian AI using 1809 armies.

The French Corps of 4 divisions began the battle in the area of Franks Kreuzung and advanced SE. An Austrian corps of 4 or 5 divisions was defending Hampton Muhle, Bauershof (the objective) and north-east of there N of Sietsame Brucke. The French left attacking near Seitsame was destroyed but it occupied 3 Austrian divisions and allowed mine and Gen. Legrand's divisions to take the objective.

All the images are taken facing E, SE and S and are on the axis of the blue arrow as my division pushes against the fortified farm. Legrand was on my right (south).

My artillery unlimbers and supporting a heavy skirmish screen defeats a counter attack out of the orchard by two Grenzer battalions:

My division attacks with one brigade, keeping the second in reserve (not seen in these pictures). A Leger battalion skirmishes near some woods on my far left flank and a line battalion moves up. In the orchard more Leger continue the firing line.

Moving further right a long and messy cavalry melee blocked the advance of Legrand's division for half an hour. My right was held back here as well.

Back on my left flank the Austrians begin to crumble.

Finally the orchard is cleared, Austrian artillery and cavalry driven off and a Baden brigade passes through my chasseurs to storm the farm.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jolly, Ingles of the 57th, Gran Capitán, taffthomas

Re: KS Mod Images 2 years, 3 months ago #3

Some shots from yesterday's battle.

This square has one corner shot up:

Panoramic view of part of the battlefield:

Re: KS Mod Images 2 years, 3 months ago #4

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
My record score with any type of unit - a Russian 12pdr Guard position battery. A lot of these points were point-blank canister vs enemy forced into square by my cavalry. It was both awesome and terrible to watch, thinking what would be happening to real human bodies in such conditions and trying not to imagine it.

Re: KS Mod Images 2 years, 1 month ago #5

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
What happens when a square breaks and runs. These are the 1806 French-Prussian sprites. The Prussians are stand-ins using the Fontenoy sprites from Pom's excellent GB mod. They are not correct but they give a sense of the old fashioned early Prussian uniforms.

Re: KS Mod Images 2 years, 1 month ago #6

• Grog
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
The following user(s) said Thank You: Saddletank

Re: KS Mod Images 2 years, 1 month ago #7

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
My Austrian division deploying in reserve behind a vast swirling battle ahead of me...

Poland 1807, French on the high ground destroying Russians with some ease.

1809, a French division attacking downhill against strong Austrian forces:

A few random pictures:

"Murderous Enfilade"

"If You Go Down To The Woods Today..."

"Chop Chop!"

"My Kind of Position"

"Too Much Schnapps"
The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, Martin James, sifis172, roy64

Re: KS Mod Images 2 years, 1 month ago #8

• Grog
  • ( User )
  • Regimental Commander
Very nice pics again, fella.

And thanks for reminding me of these great games that I keep missing

Re: KS Mod Images 2 years, 1 month ago #9

Fine screenshots, indeed!

Re: KS Mod Images 2 years, 1 month ago #10

• sifis172
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
thank you! nice shots.
looks like blucher must stop drinking before battles.

Re: KS Mod Images 2 years, 1 month ago #11

Be nice to get these sprits of Austrians, Russians etc one day soon
Have fun above all else

Re: KS Mod Images 2 years, 1 month ago #12

Be nice to be able to use these sprits one day soon
Have fun above all else

Re: KS Mod Images 2 years, 1 month ago #13

The following user(s) said Thank You: gazfun202

Re: KS Mod Images 2 years ago #14

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
In addition to 1809-1815 Austrians the KS mod contains:

1807 Russians
1812-1815 Russians
1812-1815 Prussians
1807 French
1806 French
1806 Prussians (actually mid-18th century uniforms from a Gettysburg mod - not accurate but its a start)
1809-1815 British
1810-1814 Portuguese
1808-1814 Spanish

Bavaria
Baden
Wurttemberg
Swiss (in French service)
Brunswick
Dutch-Belgians
Nassau (in French or Coalition service)
Orange-Nassau
Italians
Westphalia
Saxony

There are gaps in the uniform range, particularly with the minor nations but we have enough variations to build reasonable likenesses of most armies after 1805 excepting Swedes, Danes, Poles and some of the lesser German states.

Re: KS Mod Images 1 year, 11 months ago #15

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
1806 battle - French charging Prussians. This was a very bloody affair but the Prussians were finally driven from the field.

Three views of a post-patch MP game yesterday between an 1815 allied army comprising mostly Dutch, Belgian, Nassau, Brunswick and Hanoverian infantry supported by British and KGL cavalry against the French. The Allies captured the objective town of Maransart in the SE corner of the Waterloo map just as the game's time limit expired.

A battle on the Gettysburg Manassas map using the KS Mod but NSDs stock French and Prussian sprites. A very tough and hard fought battle that finally saw the Prussians wrest control of the important road junction town of Nancy from the French. Most of the screenshots depict the bloody and chaotic struggle in the town itself which was complete mayhem and very realistic with whole battalions and brigades being chewed up in quite short periods of time.

Using HITS and couriers you can quickly lose control of a combat in a built-up area and you have to rely on some luck and the decisions of your lower-level commanders (that is, the A.I.). Even having more and better troops is no guarantee of success as the French here found out. During the fighting the Prussians sent a few squadrons of hussars into the town with devastating effect.

Screenshot 08 is four screens stitched together and is a view covering about 210 degrees of the horizon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, Marching Thru Georgia, roy64

Re: KS Mod Images 1 year, 11 months ago #16

Impressive stuff. 'Tank. Only the buildings look garish and out of period style. Incidentally how did you make your toolbar transparent in places?

Re: KS Mod Images 1 year, 11 months ago #17

That Manassas map battle was a real bloodbath. It was going very well until a French division showed up in our rear.

Incidentally how did you make your toolbar transparent in places?

The alpha of the back panel is set to 0. Then all the sub-panels are set to inherit that value. I find the game feels claustrophobic with the wooden panel showing. We did a similar thing with the Nappy mod for SOWGB.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Volunteer

Re: KS Mod Images 1 year, 11 months ago #18

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
I think the brick buildings there don't look too bad. Only the colonial house with its wooden verandahs looks out of place. You can see Georgian houses a little like that in Europe but the balconies/verandahs would be stone with stone or iron railings.

On the plus side when you are in the thick of the fighting details of the nearby architecture are the last thing on your mind! So using the ACW maps isn't a problem really. If its an American colonial wooden house I just squint and imagine its a Mediterranean building with whitewash

Of course ideally it would be fantastic to reskin the buildings but that is a biggish job for what is essentially a very small return.

BTW Volunteer, when are you going to join us for some games? The campaign has really hotted up in recent turns.

Re: KS Mod Images 1 year, 11 months ago #19

I have got to get my act together, 'Tank. Mitra's video tutorials have helped me to better grip command and control so I feel better prepared for multiplayer.

To muster I first need also to get the necessary time okayed from she who must be obeyed ....

Re: KS Mod Images 1 year, 10 months ago #20

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
A ridiculously bloody French-Russian 1812 battle today. This is what things look like after the Saxon Cuirassiers clash with 2 regiments of Russian cuirassiers.

www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Mess.jpg

Re: KS Mod Images 1 year, 10 months ago #21

Imagine such carnage on a real Napoleonic 'field of glory' ....

Re: KS Mod Images 1 year, 10 months ago #22

Marching Thru Georgia wrote:

Incidentally how did you make your toolbar transparent in places?

The alpha of the back panel is set to 0. Then all the sub-panels are set to inherit that value. I find the game feels claustrophobic with the wooden panel showing. We did a similar thing with the Nappy mod for SOWGB.

Forgive my ignorance but I can't find any reference to panel in the ini-file. Could you be more specific about how this is achieved? Does it work when using the grog-toolbar that's included with the game as a mod?

Thanks

Re: KS Mod Images 1 year, 10 months ago #23

It's a property setting in toolbar.layout. However, it's not quite that simple. You have to make sure the sub-panels/buttons that you want to keep visible do not inherit that property.

This can be done for both the stock and grog toolbars.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.

Re: KS Mod Images 1 year, 10 months ago #24

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
A battle fought in late November 2015 between a 5-person co-op player team playing French vs an 1809 Austrian AI opponent that was attacking us in heavily wooded and steeply ridged farmland south of Pont a Mousson. This is the KS version of the Gettysburg free Manassas Map by NSD.

The map. The French were defending an east-wast line facing south from SW of Novian to the Mousson-Marsal Road:

www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Manassas.jpg

My commander takes refuge in a hastily formed square as Austrian chevaulegers emerge from the forest.

www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Pont-de-Mousson-01-SafetyInTheSquare.jpg

Voltigeurs skirmishing against German fusiliers. Notice the Austrians are losing the firefight significantly vs the dispersed French skirmishers:

www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Pont-de-Mousson-02-Voltigeurs.jpg

Chaaaaarge!

www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Pont-de-Mousson-03-Charge.jpg

Epic melee. Sometimes at HITS level its possible to watch individual pairs of sprites fighting each other:

www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Pont-de-Mousson-04-EpicMelee.jpg

Charge and counter-charge raged across the ploughed fields until the Austrians finally gave up their assault and withdrew southwards towards Nancy. In the background French chasseurs a cheval charge an enemy battalion:

www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Pont-de-Mousson-05-PloughedField.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grog, roy64

Re: KS Mod Images 1 year, 10 months ago #25

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
The first all new map designed for SoW Waterloo is under testing and will shortly be released with the next version of the KS Mod. This is the famous Meckel Map of the 1860s designed for use with the Prussian Army Kriegspiel officer training game. It represents a fictional area of "Ruritania"; a region of rolling farmland and small villages with many roads, small woods, cultivated land and a fairly major river valley. It will come in two versions, one 'normal' one and one with many villages having fortifications in them dealt with by the Waterloo engine in the same way La Haye Sainte and Hougoumont, etc are handled in the stock game.

The map has been built by Mark who is the author of the original Gettysburg map, assisted by Martin James who provided original source material and guidance.

www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/MeckelS.jpg

www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Merkel_S_Test_01.jpg

www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Merkel_S_Test_02.jpg

NOTE:~ Images are of test builds only. Final release version may differ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trappeur

Re: KS Mod Images 2 months, 2 weeks ago #26

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
A map update soon to be released with the next version of the KS Mod. This is the Gettysburg Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble 2.5mi map but edited to depict Portugal (or Spain):

Slideshow of the action at Villa Fouca (fought 30-07-2017). I played as Col. von Lowe commanding a brigade of KGL.

s1133.photobucket.com/user/Saddle-tank/slideshow/SoW%20-%20Waterloo

Peninsular sprites from the KS Mod (originally by Gunship24 from his Gettysburg "Road to Wagram" Mod).
The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, Petrus58

Re: KS Mod Images 1 month, 2 weeks ago #27

• Chichetr
  • ( User )
  • Grunt
Saddletank wrote:
A map update soon to be released with the next version of the KS Mod. This is the Gettysburg Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble 2.5mi map but edited to depict Portugal (or Spain):

Slideshow of the action at Villa Fouca (fought 30-07-2017). I played as Col. von Lowe commanding a brigade of KGL.

s1133.photobucket.com/user/Saddle-tank/slideshow/SoW%20-%20Waterloo

Peninsular sprites from the KS Mod (originally by Gunship24 from his Gettysburg "Road to Wagram" Mod).

Hey Saddle, where can we find this updated KS mod? Also this map? Those screenies are gorgeous!

Re: KS Mod Images 1 month, 2 weeks ago #28

• Saddletank
  • ( User )
  • Division Commander
Thank you for the kind comments. The new maps are not yet available though we could begin to release the reworked maps. Anyone who joins our MP games will of course get access to any new map we test and the AI code as we are testing this constantly, the dll gets updated usually 2 to 3 times a week.

The next KS Mod release will include a fully remodelled 1806 Prussian army, Austrian German fusiliers in shako, Polish Vistula legion infantry, early British heavy dragoons in bicorne and perhaps one or two other sprites.

For the AI the dll has been massively adjusted with all kinds of new and more period-oriented behaviour. While the AI remains patchy, some days it can be a very worthy opponent using cavalry and infantry in relentless combined arms attacks.

Plus the maps. So far we have reworked the following Gettysburg maps:

Picket Pettigrew Trimble (2.5mi) = Portugal
Elkhorn Tavern (5mi) = Russia/Winter
East Cavalry Field (2.5mi) = Spain
Antietam (5mi) = Spain
Cold Harbor (5mi) = France
Gettysburg new map (9mi) = Germany
Manassas (5mi) = France
Pipe Creek Line #1 (5mi) = Spain
Seccessionville (2.5mi) = Netherlands (Walcheren/Bergen-op-Zoom type terrain)

In addition to these the mod will contain the following maps that were made for us for SoW WL specifically or are community-made maps for the Napoleonic period;

Alpine (5mi) = Russia
Alpine (5mi) = Russia/winter
Eylau (5mi) = Poland/winter
Meckel (6mi) = Germany (by Mark Tewes and based on a traditional 1860s kriegspiel map used by the German general staff)
Montana Segrada (5mi) = Spain
Rio Espanol (5mi) = Spain
Smolensk (5mi) = Russia/winter

Other maps we are slowly working on which may get released on time or come later:

Brandy Station (5mi) = Austria
Chattanooga (7.5mi) = Germany
Chickamauga (7.5mi) = Germany
Chancellorsville North (5mi) = Poland/winter
Fredericksburg/Salem's Church (5mi) = Germany
Murfreesboro (5mi) = Russia
Seven Days Campaign (7.5mi) = Alsace/Rhineland

The discussions on the map making project are over at the KS forums and we're usually there several times a week discussing AI issues or sprites.

kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/f62-map-modding
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grog
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.29 seconds