Users
Articles
Articles View Hits

Courier Messages

7 years 2 months ago #1 by boxster

• Thank you received: 1

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Courier Messages was created by boxster
    I am trying to use the Courier system to send orders in Single Player. I am composing a Courier Message and my goal is to get my subordinate to move his units to a specific location. When I did this in SOW Gettysburg I would select "Move To" and then "Move your units to this Map Point" and it would work. In Waterloo this option is not available. In the Waterloo manual on P. 73 it says there are options in the "Orders" section called "Move 1 Unit..." and "Move Entire Unit To..." and then "Move your unit to this Map Point". However, I do not see these options anywhere. Anyone have any idea where these are and I how I would get to them in Waterloo? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 2 months ago #2 by Jim

• NSD Design Lead
  • NSD Design Lead
  • NSD Dev Team

• Thank you received: 262

• Replied by Jim on topic Re: Courier Messages
    The courier command map was not working to our standards in the new GUI system and so did not make this release. It will return in the future.

-Jim

"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863

7 years 2 months ago #3 by tinyb

• Thank you received:

• Replied by tinyb on topic Re: Courier Messages
    I have been experimenting at various levels and am now in Veteran. I cannot no matter what I do get the Courier system to work at all. I am trying to send a message from Napoleon to a Div Commander, nothing. If anyone can remind me, or advise me on what I am missing, I would be grateful. A basic procedure would be great.

7 years 2 months ago #4 by con20or

• Thank you received: 466

• Replied by con20or on topic Re: Courier Messages
    Hi Tiny,

Check the manual (p42) for more info on difficulty levels and couriers. I think at 'veteran' it only works when giving orders to corps and higher. I find custom is best when playing at couriers - you can get it to work at any level you like then.

7 years 2 months ago #5 by Stellar Duck

• GB
  • GB

• Thank you received: 27

• Replied by Stellar Duck on topic Re: Courier Messages
    I've been playing SOWGB for a year or so and have in that time read a number of books on the Civil War and various battles and topics more specific. I'm pretty well into that now even if I still feel like a scrub.

I'm a complete newbie at Napoleonic stuff though. How hands on would a commander actually be in that period? Surely Nappy himself wouldn't generally be sending messages to a brigade commander under normal circumstances?

Snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory since 1982

7 years 2 months ago #6 by Gunfreak

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 57

• Replied by Gunfreak on topic Re: Courier Messages

Stellar Duck wrote: I've been playing SOWGB for a year or so and have in that time read a number of books on the Civil War and various battles and topics more specific. I'm pretty well into that now even if I still feel like a scrub.

I'm a complete newbie at Napoleonic stuff though. How hands on would a commander actually be in that period? Surely Nappy himself wouldn't generally be sending messages to a brigade commander under normal circumstances?

It depended on the battle and scale, Napoleon self would deirect an night assualt on a bridge and fortifiaction(can't remmber which campaign it was)

Here we choose each battalion and company placed the brigades, but this was a well planed attack.

At waterloo he places the corps and divisions, then orderd attacked, and gave orders as the battle progressed.(tho he had very little control over parts of that battle)
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Stellar Duck

7 years 2 months ago #7 by Pawsy_bear

• Thank you received: 7

• Replied by Pawsy_bear on topic Re: Courier Messages
    Marshal Ney was renown for leading from the front

He was given the title 'bravest of the brave' by Napoleon as he was the last French man to leave Russian soil.

And at his execution in 1815, refusing a blindfold

'"Soldiers, when I give the command to fire, fire straight at my heart. Wait for the order. It will be my last to you. I protest against my condemnation. I have fought a hundred battles for France, and not one against her ... Soldiers, fire'

Gets my vote for hands on leader

7 years 1 month ago #8 by Soult

• Thank you received:

• Replied by Soult on topic Re: Courier Messages
    Is the plan to release it as a patch or update or for future installments? I think it's an awesome feature.

7 years 1 month ago #9 by IronBMike

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 37

• Replied by IronBMike on topic Re: Courier Messages

Stellar Duck wrote: I've been playing SOWGB for a year or so and have in that time read a number of books on the Civil War and various battles and topics more specific. I'm pretty well into that now even if I still feel like a scrub.

Napoleon was very hands-on, but not all the time. Sometimes he would individually sight cannons even.

CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW

7 years 1 month ago #10 by HoldTheLine

• Thank you received: 46

• Replied by HoldTheLine on topic Re: Courier Messages

IronBMike wrote: Napoleon was very hands-on, but not all the time. Sometimes he would individually sight cannons even.

... which he was especially qualified to do, given he started in the artillery.

7 years 1 month ago #11 by IronBMike

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 37

• Replied by IronBMike on topic Re: Courier Messages

HoldTheLine wrote:

IronBMike wrote: Napoleon was very hands-on, but not all the time. Sometimes he would individually sight cannons even.

... which he was especially qualified to do, given he started in the artillery.

Yes indeed. But at other times, at Waterloo for example, he was barely on the field. For much of Waterloo Napoleon was ill and the battle was in Ney's hands, leading to disastrous results.

CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW

7 years 1 month ago #12 by Saddletank

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Thank you received: 587

• Birthdate: 06 Sep 1959
  • Replied by Saddletank on topic Re: Courier Messages
    Napoleon's lack of presence and Ney's presence may well have been the single biggest factor (among many) why the battle was lost. To me having a Napoleon sprite as the French C-in-C is really not correct. There should be a Ney army commander sprite ;)

Save Napoleon's sprite for the Ligny release!

HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Holdit

7 years 1 month ago #13 by con20or

I think there may already be one there. Doesnt he lead in one 9f the last french scenarios? Le garde recule?
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Saddletank

7 years 1 month ago #14 by Saddletank

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Getting back to the courier system, one of the most frustrating features is that when you receive a message it pops up and cancels any courier message you are preparing/composing. Its really annoying to lose a long message just as you are about to send it!

Could the courier receipt code be modified so an incoming message forms a "pop-under" or just sounds a wav file to remind you a message was received. A voice saying "message for you sir!" would be quite cool.

This irritating new feature wasn't in SoW:GB. It seems to have arrived with the new GUI. It's making me tear out what little hair I have left. :S

7 years 1 month ago #15 by con20or

The new type of courier message window in the bottom left hand side was added to deal with repeated requests for counteracting courier spam interfering with gameplay. It stays open, courier messages come through, the window dynamically updates, you don't need to keep closing multiple AI courier messages.

7 years 1 month ago #16 by Saddletank

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Sorry but that window is too big. I close it every time as I don't want an ugly lump of something blocking my view (and ruining any fraps recording I'm doing). AND hiding my Grog toolbar! Having it open all the time is worse than messages that pop open frequently.

This doesn't address why the incoming courier message screen closes the outgoing courier message screen. This is a major design error and seriously needs fixing as a high priority please!

Please can we just have message alerts that make a sound and the player has to open the message when he has the time. Can we please also have what was requested years ago which is the ability to completely disable incoming AI (not player) messages so you don't see or hear them? If I tell a brigadier to take his command to X I know he will because I can see his troops moving - I do not need him to send me a messenger back saying "Yes, sir, on my way."

7 years 1 month ago #17 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Design, Mods, NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 2160

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • Replied by RebBugler on topic Re: Courier Messages
    Surely you know about the ingame Options to turn off the generic courier messages. This won't affect composed courier messages. Please excuse if I'm talking down or the obvious.

Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...

7 years 1 month ago #18 by Marching Thru Georgia

• SOW General
  • SOW General
  • Secession Is Futile

• Thank you received: 434

• The in-game option does not turn off the courier messages. It did not do so in the first game either. The fact that in-coming messages close the courier screen is extremely poor design. The team needs at least one person that uses the courier messaging feature regularly to test the changes to the interface.

I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.

7 years 1 month ago #19 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

Turns them off for me. Do this first time every time I get a new download that includes a new ini file. I NEVER see a courier message in sandbox or scenarios, unless they are composed by a human or scripted in a scenario.

7 years 1 month ago #20 by Marching Thru Georgia

• SOW General
  • SOW General
  • Secession Is Futile

• Thank you received: 434

• Set Courier Messages by Brigade and try again. You need to be in MP because calling up the courier orders screen in SP pauses the game.

I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.

7 years 1 month ago #21 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

Now I understand. My difficulty setting is glued to Normal, as this is the default for testing as well as my preferred playing mode.

You need to bark at Con20or, he's the courier guy on the team.

The following user(s) said Thank You: taffthomas

7 years 1 month ago #22 by con20or

I'll add 'screen closing' to the list for Patch 1 unless I can find-out an easy way to mod it before then. The Ai courier messages just did not make the priority list for Waterloo.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Marching Thru Georgia, Saddletank, Volunteer

7 years 1 month ago #23 by Gran Capitán

• Thank you received: 18

• Replied by Gran Capitán on topic Re: Courier Messages

Marching Thru Georgia wrote: The fact that in-coming messages close the courier screen is extremely poor design.

That's very annoying when writting a message to a fellow general or to your commander!

In addition to that. Now you need to click before starting typing. It is not possible to write more than one paragraph, everything will go in the same paragraph. And there is no distinction between the header and the body of the message, which is a little bit messy.

I am also missing the "Salutation" message which was great. My compliments sir. :whistle:

7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #24 by Saddletank

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

RebBugler wrote: Now I understand. My difficulty setting is glued to Normal, as this is the default for testing as well as my preferred playing mode.

Don't only test in normal mode and don't only play in one style if you're a tester. Any game needs testing in every mode in which the software is offered to the customer.

I'll add 'screen closing' to the list for Patch 1 unless I can find-out an easy way to mod it before then. The Ai courier messages just did not make the priority list for Waterloo.

Con20or - there's really two separate issues here:

1) An incoming message whether from AI or Player will close the players open outgoing message screen. It should not.

2) Allow an option button to disable all AI incoming messages (they should still show in your 'received messages' screen but shouldn't appear in the main game window.

Uh, and I guess... 3) What Gran Capitan said about the layout and styling. A working carriage return would be great. The GB layout and "My compliments Sir" thing was a very nice period touch.

And, well... 4) Thanks for listening!

Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Saddletank.

7 years 1 month ago #25 by con20or

I am aware of both issues and will follow up on them, I can't make any promises.

7 years 1 month ago #26 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

Don't only test in normal mode and don't only play in one style if you're a tester. Any game needs testing in every mode in which the software is offered to the customer.

My bad. I knew that responding to anything with the word courier in it would get me bashed, yet I jumped in and tried to help anyway. Will I ever learn? :S

FYI, we do test the various difficulty settings, but Normal is our emphasis. With the Custom difficulty option there are an infinite amount (or seems to me) of options. All the bases just can't be covered. More bases can be covered with customer feedback, that's why we patch.

BTW, I'm not an official tester, but I still wade in to the best of my abilities (as is expected from ALL team members), however, courier behavior is obviously not one of them. I apologize for wasting your time. I pledge to follow my own advice as stated first here.

7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #27 by Holdit

• Thank you received: 43

• Replied by Holdit on topic Re: Courier Messages

Saddletank wrote: Napoleon's lack of presence and Ney's presence may well have been the single biggest factor (among many) why the battle was lost. To me having a Napoleon sprite as the French C-in-C is really not correct. There should be a Ney army commander sprite ;)

Save Napoleon's sprite for the Ligny release!

Seconded. Waterloo without Ney? It just doesn't feel right.

(Napoleon out of sight because he's busy with a bucket of Preparation H sounds more plausible. :laugh: )

Seriously, would it be very troublesome to add a command layer for "Wing" commanders to the game? That way you could have Ney or Grouchy on the battlefield with Napoleon while maintaining the historical chain of command.
    Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Holdit.

7 years 1 month ago #28 by Gran Capitán

• Thank you received: 18

• Replied by Gran Capitán on topic Re: Courier Messages

1) An incoming message whether from AI or Player will close the players open outgoing message screen. It should not.

Please include here intercepted messages, yesterday it was a nightmare to write a message.

Another feature missing is to identify the player who is writting a message (with his nickname) in the message itself, not just the commander he is playing.
    Now I am getting messages from teammates and have to guess or try to findout who is asking for support or is reporting a contact. The too long for the windows commander's names don't help either.

Thanks.

7 years 1 month ago #29 by Xreos1

• Thank you received: 24

• Replied by Xreos1 on topic Re: Courier Messages
    The features in the courier system and mods for the Gettysburg series (especially the Nap mods)were a pleasure to use. I truly enjoyed playing this way.

The current state of the Waterloo system is both a pain and discourages me from playing in the style I came to appreciate.

The too long names is obvious upon opening up the screen, and I am amazed this went unnoticed.

The 'move to' function has been acknowledged as on the 'to do' list.

The listing of every unit when you play as army commander was an annoyance I accommodated. When I saw the previews that featured the OOB menu, I had hoped this feature would be used for the courier system.

Moderators: RebBuglergunship24Leffe7Sargonpaul9038