Users
Articles
Articles View Hits

Recommended MODS

3 years 6 months ago #1 by Didz

• Thank you received: 21

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Recommended MODS was created by Didz
    Can anyone recommend any good mods for this game?

I've just bought it and I'm struggling to get through the tutorial at the moment.

So, far I've downloaded the New Pointer Mod, as there is no way I can see that stupid little green thing, let alone the green line that denoted what way the unit will face when it arrives. Unfortunately, this mod doesn't seem to work in tutorials so I'm still struggling to see what I'm doing. Is there a way of just replacing the grafic in the game files so its visible?

Other mods I'd like to find and use:

1. Anything that makes the unit transitions look more realistic. So a unt forming line from column actually looks like its performing a unit transition rather than just wandering about aimlessly.

2. Anything that replaces the placeholder unit flags with something more believable. In particular the Hanoverian flags which I really hate.

3. Anything that adds the correct crops and ground textures to the maps based on Siborne's notes of what was growing at the time. I'm thinking particularly of the large fields of rye which hid the movement of troops over large areas of the field.

I'm sure someone has done all these mods, just having trouble finding them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #2 by Saddletank

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Thank you received: 587

• Birthdate: 06 Sep 1959
  • Replied by Saddletank on topic Re: Recommended MODS
    Hey Didz, are you the guy from the TW community? Some years ago I knew a guy there of that name.

There's one complete overhaul mod I recommend - the KS Mod. It takes the basic game and makes it a lot more realistic. Its made up of three mods:

KS Mod (gameplay - which is very much changed, toolbar, some new maps)

Supplementary Maps Mod (around 60 new maps in total, including seasonal, visibility, fortifications or river crossing variants)

Sprites Mod - all the sprites for the game - includes ALL the major Napoleonic nations but we so far do not have sprites for 1805 Austrians and Russians, and of the 1796 campaign armies other than French, nor for Swedes or Danes, but almost everything else is included.

The mod is being worked on constantly and a new set of 1806 Prussians are in the pipeline.

You don't need any other mods with this and in fact a lot are incompatible such as any GUI or toolbar mods.

You can d/l it here but you need to register on the Kriegspiel forums to d/l files:

kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t1451-set-up-for-sowwl-napoleon-games-for-kriegspiel-style

Unfortunately the unit formation changes cannot easily be addressed, its a part of the game code modders do not have access to. We've done what we can though.

There's no mod that adds the tall crops to the WL map. In any case the crops would really need to be dynamic since much was trampled down later in the day and that's impossible in this game engine unless you made a map with the standing crops and a second one with them all trampled down.

Mind you - once you've got 60 new maps to play on you won't be worried about small details of the WL map ;)

HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
    Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Saddletank.

3 years 6 months ago #3 by Didz

• Thank you received: 21

• Replied by Didz on topic Re: Recommended MODS
    Hi Saddletank,

Yes, I am the same Didz as you remember from the TW Community, and i still play a lot of TW, and occasionally visit visit the Org and TW Centre forums. (Currently playing an Orc Campaign in Warhammer TW)

I've been going through the mods on this forum and adding any that look interesting.

The latest Grog Extended Toolbar claims to improve un it transitions, and so I've downloaded that earlier tonight and have just finished playing through the first Brigade scenario. (Inconclusive outcome) But it looked like it had improved the transitions a bit, men were moving in squads rather than as individuals.

However, for some reason the mods in the steam game seem to have a mind of their own and seem to work sometimes and other times they don't. The new pointed mod for example worked at first but has now stopped working, and the Grog Tollbar says it has changed French infantry formations so that they now form three deep, but they didn't in my game.

So,it all seems a bit hit and miss at the minute and I'm never sure which mods are working and which aren't.

Other mods I'm experimenting with are the Smoke and FLare mod, which I think was working, based on the screenshot I saw, and the Footguards Mod, which definitely wasn't working as they still had white overalls in my game.

Not sure if this is just the steam version of the game being finicky or some sort of mod conflict or something.

3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #4 by Jace11

• Thank you received: 51

• Replied by Jace11 on topic Re: Recommended MODS
    Most mods don't work with the default scenarios, that's hard coded I'm afraid. The game keeps a set of data files hidden that are used for the scenarios in the Waterloo battles section that appears on the main menu, these override, conflict with, or just plain stop any mods you have activated. However mods do work in the sandbox battles and user battles. Grogs toolbar is important because it copies all the default scenarios (from the SDK) over to the user folder so you can then play the Waterloo battles etc with mods activated, but it requires you to pick these missions from the user battles list instead.

Or something like that, it's been a while....
    Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Jace11.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

3 years 6 months ago #5 by Grog

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 153

• Birthdate: 08 Apr 1969
  • Replied by Grog on topic Re: Recommended MODS
    You could replace the pointer graphics in the base game folder with a copy of the modded pointer graphics. Be sure to save or rename the originals and be aware that updates might change them back. I think this would allow you to play scenarios provided.
    You could also try the pointer graphics from the KS mod if preferred. Same method.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, Didz

3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #6 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 1988

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • Replied by RebBugler on topic Re: Recommended MODS
    Didz quote:

2. Anything that replaces the placeholder unit flags with something more believable. In particular the Hanoverian flags which I really hate.

The original release flags were replaced in the last patch with the one's shown in this mod:
    www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/waterloo-modifications/71034-hannover-flags-1815#71034

Do these replacements get my flags off your "hate" list?

And, what other flags do you deem unbelievable?

Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
    Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...
    Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by RebBugler.

Moderators: RebBuglergunship24Leffe7Sargonpaul9038