Articles
Articles View Hits

More reported issues with Patch v1.03 - And Fixes

1 year 1 month ago #1 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 1975

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • Just recently I upgraded to a Win10 fairly high octane PC. Tried unsuccessfully to move over my fully patched SOW titles (SOW Team versions) so went to the downloads through Matrix. No issues with GB or the original WL installs but then came Patch v1.03 for WL...CTD at the end of loading scenario or sandbox games. Uninstalled WL and downloaded again, reinstalled both with same CTD result after installing the patch. Remembered the v1.02 Patch discussion and downloaded and installed it followed by installing the v1.03 patch, to no avail, same crash result...And, the same ERRORS in the Log file causing the crash.

I put off this report waiting for confirmation that there is indeed an issue with the v1.03 patch. It didn't take long, this report on the Matrix forum appeared two days ago.

Fortunately I stumbled upon a fix. For the heck of it I installed and activated the latest Grog Toolbar and Eureka, no crash with v103 installed. After further log error inspections and testing I've found that the real fix is Jace11's Foliage mod , which was incorporated into the Grog Toolbar back in 2016. So, for folks that don't wish to play using the Grog Toolbar they can just use the Foliage mod and experience the stock game as originally designed. Here's the zipped Foliage (Packed Terrain Sprites) mod:

File Attachment:

File Name: PackedTerr...ites.zip
    File Size:1,244 KB

Some Questions, Comments, and Observations

- Even with this fix the log file still shows 63 'Unknown Packed Sprite' ERRORS.
    - The fix does eliminate other log errors concerning sprite textures.
    - With the SOW Team patches the Hannover flags were replaced, but not with these Matrix versions. Still, the mod fix is HERE .
    - Does v103 include v102? If not, why isn't v102 included in the members download section instead of being located in that separate download section?
    - Can't find the v102 fixes listing.
    - The version number still displays as v1.0106 in the MP window, haven't seen v1.03 displayed at all
    - I'm guessing (can't find the listing) v103 is working because Aattach (attaches all detached subordinates) works correctly. Also TC (tcommon) has been dynamically altered, enabling TC'd subordinates to be controlled by their officers...Sometimes. Still don't understand it fully, but I don't like it. I just see it as TC being corrupted now because TC had a vital detachment role, but that role is dead with v103.

Apologies for my oversights and not recognizing these patch errors when I was an active member of the SOW team. Since we already had a WL Team version that we updated constantly it was difficult (for me) to assure a clean install when testing the Matrix downloads. Eventually we had several versions installed. Still, I remember never getting a v1.03 readout in the MP window, but the patch did work, with no log errors, I think. :huh:

Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
    Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...
    Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 1 month ago #2 by mitra76

• NSD Dev
  • NSD Dev

• Thank you received: 383

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Randy which one 1.3 did you download? that one of basic version or that one of collectors? they same of different dimensions. Originally Matrix made a mistake uploading patch 1.3 I wonder if they corrected only one of two links.

Visit my wargames blog: warforgame.blogspot.it/

1 year 1 month ago #3 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• mitra76 wrote: Randy which one 1.3 did you download? that one of basic version or that one of collectors? they same of different dimensions. Originally Matrix made a mistake uploading patch 1.3 I wonder if they corrected only one of two links.

These are the downloads I used. Both use the same serial number.

Attachments:

1 year 1 month ago #4 by mitra76

• NSD Dev
  • NSD Dev

• Not the 1.02 too? how much big was the 1.03 linked here? 6 mega?

1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #5 by r59

• Grunt
  • Grunt

• Thank you received: 45

• Mine is 125MB.
    ScourgeOfWar-UpdateComp-v103.zip, basic version.
    Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by r59.

1 year 1 month ago #6 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Zipped, it is 127MB. Unzipped it is 125MB

1 year 1 month ago #7 by mitra76

• NSD Dev
  • NSD Dev

• I wonder if is the correct; the changes of 1.03 are tiny, the dimension for the collector edition is more correct 6 mega and 1.02 has to be installed before it. I think matrix patch 1.03 for the normal edition should include 1.02 but is missing something.

try to install all the patches in the correct sequence 1.01, 1.02 and download the patch 1.03 of collector edition.

1 year 1 month ago #8 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• mitra76 wrote: I wonder if is the correct; the changes of 1.03 are tiny, the dimension for the collector edition is more correct 6 mega and 1.02 has to be installed before it. I think matrix patch 1.03 for the normal edition should include 1.02 but is missing something.

try to install all the patches in the correct sequence 1.01, 1.02 and download the patch 1.03 of collector edition.

Can't comply because I don't know where patch 1.01 is located and I don't have access to a collectors edition serial number. Pretty sure the v103 patch for the Collectors Edition is only available once the Collectors Edition is registered.

Regardless, this procedure is a mess and needs a complete overhaul.

1 year 1 month ago #9 by mitra76

• NSD Dev
  • NSD Dev

• 1.01 now i remember is included in 1.02, all the 1.03 are in the members area, "Members Only Downloads" section, you find all the patches also of the games you have not registred.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

1 year 1 month ago #10 by voltigeur

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 55

• Reb I'd be happy to upload any required WL patches that you need, just let me know

Scourge of War multiplayer group
    steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #11 by r59

• Grunt
  • Grunt

• Thank you received: 45

• mitra76 wrote: I think matrix patch 1.03 for the normal edition should include 1.02 but is missing something.

Your assumption seems correct to me, Davide.
    This one...
    ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/ScourgeOfWarWaterloo/ScourgeOfWar-UpdateComp-v102.zip
    ... including both 1.01 (SOWWLPatch3.exe) and 1.02 (Master Patch.zip), and installed before v103, made it for my normal edition.
    The most noticeable missing files, otherwise, were Hannover flags, as reported by RB.
    It still shows v1.0106 on the initial MP screen, though.
    But I think it's ok anyway?
    Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by r59.

1 year 1 month ago #12 by mitra76

• NSD Dev
  • NSD Dev

• Yes is ok v1.0106 is the 1.03

The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, r59

1 year 1 month ago #13 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• r59 wrote:

mitra76 wrote: I think matrix patch 1.03 for the normal edition should include 1.02 but is missing something.

Your assumption seems correct to me, Davide.
    This one...
    ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/ScourgeOfWarWaterloo/ScourgeOfWar-UpdateComp-v102.zip
    ... including both 1.01 (SOWWLPatch3.exe) and 1.02 (Master Patch.zip), and installed before v103, made it for my normal edition.
    The most noticeable missing files, otherwise, were Hannover flags, as reported by RB.
    It still shows v1.0106 on the initial MP screen, though.
    But I think it's ok anyway?

Yes, this is the path, I'm fixed also now. The key is to install all three downloads in order: v100, v102, and then v103. Once I uninstalled and reinstalled in this order I was fixed. Whether the Collectors Edition v103 would work I don't know because it wouldn't install, because, it needed a different serial number, as I predicted.

Matrix needs to be informed of the mess they're creating by only offering v100 and v103 in their Members Downloads section. I think the simplest solution is to add v102 to that section, and not as a separate download as they have it now. Then at least folks would see the installation order intuitively. I fear the worse if we suggest combining the last two patches for simplicity sake.

LP was always the patch guy for SOW so he would probably be the best messenger to Matrix. If he doesn't chime in I'll do it. If this request doesn't happen within the next few weeks I'll post a sticky with all the links and explain how to successfully reinstall WL with all its patches.

Great feedback by all, thanks, I think we've got it right now. :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: voltigeur, r59

1 year 1 month ago #14 by Davinci

• Corps Commander
  • Corps Commander

• Thank you received: 757

• RebBugler wrote: Just recently I upgraded to a Win10 fairly high octane PC.

"Reb" - I just had to jump back on and also completely "Jump Topic" and post this.....

Wait, What, "You" have gotten a "New Computer", but that's not really why I'm Jumping Topic....

Wait, What, You have gotten a New Computer with "Windows 10"?

Didn't you "State" that you were never ever going to get a Windows 10 Version of Windows?

Didn't you even sort of start a whole page devoted to never ever getting that Version of Windows?

I guess that sooner or later, everything does seem to change.

Sorry, I just Had To!

davinci

The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!

1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #15 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Hey Davinci,

Still on thread since most folks using these patch downloads will be doing so because they have upgraded to a Win10 PC.

There's no easy way to upgrade PC's now without going the Win10 route. You either have to go with refurbished or build your own. Refurbished gives you dated technology and build your own is a pain, I've done both. Also the announcement by Microsoft to discontinue supporting Win7 next year doesn't bode well for its future stability and security, not to mention new applications.

I have invested in an unregistered Win7 OS install. Maybe I'll get brave and build my dream Win7 machine one of these days before Win7 components are obsolete. In the meantime I'm learning Win10 and enjoying a quiet and powerful rig. Still, I see no Win10 advantages or reasons to upgrade, just new eyecandy and learning new layouts that do the same basic stuff. It's mainly setup now for connecting tablets, phones, etc. for folks with their heads stuck in their gadgets, and promoting the MS Store.

I'll never really respect a MS OS until they include real security from hackers and will keep it updated. Until they make the antivirus apps obsolete, I just consider them as 'upgrade or else' profiteers.

Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Davinci

1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #16 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• As promised...

Duh, just caught "Thanks You" :S

Attachments:
    Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Biondo, r59

1 year 1 month ago #17 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Matrix Report Progress...

[ 19 JUN 2019 18:34 by prkeen ]

Presently only two downloads are available for SOWWL in the Members Downloads section, v100 and v103. When these two versions are installed the game crashes because it needs v102 to update and run correctly. Version 102 is available via the product page but most folks miss this install since it is separate and not mentioned in the Members Downloads section. Please add patch v102 to the Members Dowloads section so folks will know to install all three downloads. The order of installation should be intuitive - v100, v102, v103.

Thanks You for this Consideration

[ 20 JUN 2019 04:13 by VPaulus ]

Hi prkeen,

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your game. Patch 1.03 is a comprehensive patch so you don't need to install 1.02.

Have you tried to play the game before having updated the game?

Kind Regards,

Paulo Costa
    The Slitherine Group

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[ 21 JUN 2019 10:35 by prkeen ]

Thanks for the prompt response.
    Other crash reports plus my experience with this issue show that patch v1.03 is incomplete and causes log errors resulting in crashes if not installed after patch v1.02:

www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/nuts-and-bolts-waterloo/77402-new-patch-v103-error#78345

www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4645346

www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/nuts-and-bolts-waterloo/78697-more-reported-issues-with-patch-v103-and-fixes#78716

As NorbSoft has moved on, I feel the easiest fix here is just add patch v102 to the Members Downloads section rather than fixing v103.

Sincerely,

Randy Keen aka prkeen aka RebBugler - SOW Waterloo Design Team

The following user(s) said Thank You: Biondo

1 year 1 month ago #18 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• LAST Matrix Report:

[ 22 JUN 2019 04:02 by VPaulus ]
    Hi Randy,
    You can download patch 1.02 from the link below:
    fs.slitherine.com/data/public/0773bb.php
    Please let me know if this fiexed your issues.
    Kind Regards,
    Paulo Costa
    The Slitherine Group

[ 22 JUN 2019 10:58 by prkeen ]
    This Helpdesk Ticket is a request for patch v1.02 be made available in the Members Downloads section.

Yes, the v102 patch fixes v103 as explained and discussed in the forum, and, the v102 download is accessible. But this wasn't the issue or request.

If Matrix is unable to provide a third download (v100, v102, v103) in the Members Downloads section then say so, and close this ticket. Meanwhile, folks will continue to crash after downloading and installing v100 and v103, and we Moderators will continue to guide them through uninstalling and reinstalling, adding v102.

Randy Keen

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For folks that are following this dialog - Have I lost my ability to communicate?

Regardless, I've had enough fun writing these reports and probably won't followup. We'll just have to handle this Matrix screw up on the forum.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Biondo

1 year 1 month ago #19 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Finally an encouraging post:

[ 23 JUN 2019 05:08 by JosephM ]

Hello Randy,

I'm glad the manual link fixed this. We will ask the team to look again at the patches and see how best ot fix this going forwards, but hopefully we can recompile the patch to work correctly, either with Norb's help or perhaps without.
    Kind Regards,

Joe Miller
    The Slitherine Group

9 months 3 weeks ago #20 by Willard

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 63

• All -

Had to do a re-install of Waterloo and ran into the same issue. I have a resolution that I have successfully tested. The issue, for me, had to do with where the required patches are for the Waterloo game on the Matrix Website. The confusion seems to stem from the difference between the base Waterloo game and the Waterloo Collector's edition download/install files.

I am running Win7 with the base Waterloo game. In order to successfully load a 1.0106 patched game (as indicated on the MP page's version #), I had to do the following:

#1 - On the Waterloo Base game Matrix download page ( www.matrixgames.com/game/scourge-of-war-waterloo ), download and install this file first: [PC] Installer v1.00, Jun 08, 2015 ( www.matrixgames.com/member/download/scourge-of-war-waterloo/%5BPC%5D%20Installer%20v1.00 )

#2 - On the Waterloo Collectors edition Matrix download page ( www.matrixgames.com/game/scourge-of-war-waterloo-collectors-edition ), download and install this file second: [PC] Update v1.0.2, Dec 10, 2018 ( ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/ScourgeOfWarWaterloo/ScourgeOfWar-UpdateComp-v102.zip ).

#3 - Finally, return to the Waterloo Base game Matrix download page ( www.matrixgames.com/game/scourge-of-war-waterloo ), download and install this file last: [PC] Update v1.0.3 Jun 18, 2018
    ( ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/ScourgeOfWarWaterloo/ScourgeOfWar-UpdateComp-v103.zip ).

Don't use the auto installer as it will skip step #2 and only install the file from step #3. From what I can tell, Matrix has the 1.02 file on the Waterloo Collector's edition page and not on the Waterloo base game page.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Willard
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, Biondo

Moderators: RebBuglergunship24Leffe7Sargonpaul9038