Articles View Hits

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog

2 years 1 month ago #301 by DarkRob

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 280

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Replied by DarkRob on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog

RebBugler wrote: Update, version 5.75, includes the addition of functions made available by the 1.03 patch:
    -Command buttons added enabling artillery to target cavalry
    These commands are added to the existing 'targeting pop up windows' on the battery and gun levels

-Infantry battalion 'Screening action' button added
    This battalion level command 'action' is coupled with the Guard command (now a pop up window) next to the Volley command

-Aattach and Adetach command buttons added. These are officer functions that either attach or detach all subordinate units.
    Execution button located next to the "Zoom" function button
    Aattach functions as designed, however, Adetach has issues by my testing (all units won't detach). Please verify this issue and if verified justify rationale for retaining this flawed function, otherwise I'll be omitting Adetach with another update in a week. Personally I see no need for Adetach anyway whereas Aattach is a handy gameplay function and especially vital for scenario scripting.

The Screen Command

This was the testing time consumer with this update. At first I tried to give some player control to it by at least providing formation options...Rejected. Because, Screen turns a battalion into a giant 'Split' battalion which characteristically defaults back to skirmish mode regardless of player input. When I finally realized the nature of this beast I took on the tasks of hiding and elimination of functions on the battalion 'split' toolbar that would only delay and confuse the player with misfiring commands.

Screening Battalion Upsides:
    - Very effective at screening and delaying the progress of enemy infantry with little or no player input.
    - While screening infantry it avoids too many casualties by constantly attacking and then retreating to avoid flanking fire and melees...I never witnessed it forced into a melee.
    - Very effective at driving enemy artillery away while receiving minimal casualties.

Screening Battalion Downsides:
    - While it will delay cavalry initially, it will eventually be routed or captured because it won't form a square...Just like 'split' skirmish btns. To avoid eventual DOOM player must cancel Screening actions (same initiation button transformed to Cancel...) when cavalry contact is imminent.
    - Fatigue happens fast because unit runs almost constantly balking at player control. Then there's attacking and retreating constantly...Unit refuses to let up, continuing to attack even in an exhausted state.

As mentioned, there will be an update in a week probably eliminating Adetach. Meanwhile, please feedback this week to correct any other issues revealed with this update. Also any suggestions to help fine-tune the 'Screening Actions Toolbar' like eliminating useless or distracting buttons would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

Hey Reb, awesome job as always. I can verify that Adetach is not working correctly for me either. It seems to detach some officers while not detaching others with no real rhyme or reason that I can see. Aattach seems to work fine however as what ever units are detached are all reattached. You can view some of my experiments at the corps and army level with it starting at 29:30 of the video below.

The only minor issue I can spot seems to be if you set more than one battalion from a brigade on the Infantry screen stance, they both move out and deploy in the exact same spot, that is they move their unit flags to the same location and the units crisscross and overlap. I think it would be better if they moved out and deployed side by side to cover more of a front. You can see what I mean by crisscrossed starting at 14:49 of the video.

Other than that everything seems great :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 1 month ago #302 by Hook

• Grunt
  • Grunt

• Thank you received: 35

• Birthdate: 08 Sep 1949
  • Replied by Hook on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog
    I downloaded the new version of the toolbar but have not installed it or tried it in-game.

I'm not certain what use the Adetach function to detach *all* sub-units would be off the top of my head. The only thing I can see with some units detached and some not is that the detached units would form a reserve while the units still attached would form the fighting force, which might be useful. Perhaps you could restructure the command if everyone is detached but I'd need an example of how you would do this.

I noticed in Rob's video that if you have used Adetach on the corps commander, and it detaches some units but does not detach others, when you click on Aattach you still get the menu with Aattach and Adetach buttons. What happens if you click on Adetach again with some of your units already detached? Does it detach the remainder? If so you can invoke Adetach twice to detach additional units.

Hook
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, DarkRob

2 years 1 month ago #303 by DarkRob

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

Hook wrote: I noticed in Rob's video that if you have used Adetach on the corps commander, and it detaches some units but does not detach others, when you click on Aattach you still get the menu with Aattach and Adetach buttons. What happens if you click on Adetach again with some of your units already detached? Does it detach the remainder? If so you can invoke Adetach twice to detach additional units.

Hook

That is a good question. Hang tight a sec and Il check it out.

2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #304 by DarkRob

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

Hook you're right! Using the same corps(VanDamme's at Ligny)additional clicks of Adetach did detach additional divisions. After 3 clicks all of VanDamme;s divisions were detached.

Tried it with Gerard's corps as well and same result.
    Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by DarkRob.

2 years 1 month ago #305 by Hook

• Grunt
  • Grunt

Then I guess it is a quick way to make some reserves if you don't want the AI to handle everything. You can commit them manually as needed or reattach them to the parent unit, one at a time if you wish. At this point I'd say to keep the Adetach button as it seems rather flexible.

The Screen function for infantry appears to be a quick way to send your light battalion out as skirmishers which then act automatically. Will Aattach on the brigade commander cause them to be recalled? Or do you have to recall them with a direct command on the unit itself? For that matter, will Aattach on a battalion cause any skirmishers to be recalled? This is probably too much to hope for.

I am going to guess that the AI does not invoke the Screen function on a battalion. As for the number of skirmishers, it is probably more than pre-patch but you remember how many skirmish units the Prussians sent out in the full battle as Wellington when you put the Prussians all under AI command, even with the corps commanders having All Out Attack stance.

It would be nice if a screening infantry unit would retreat behind the parent unit instead of fighting until routed, as implied by RebBugler. Has anyone tested this to see what happens? RebBugler did say they would keep fighting even when exhausted.

Hook

2 years 1 month ago #306 by DarkRob

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

I agree with Hook, keep the Adetach function. If anything, it's actually better and more flexible the way it is. It gives the player more control and more options instead of the all or nothing approach I think it was shooting for. You can still do that with multiple clicks of Adetach, but having other options as well is cool.

2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 4 weeks ago #307 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 1974

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • Hook wrote: Then I guess it is a quick way to make some reserves if you don't want the AI to handle everything. You can commit them manually as needed or reattach them to the parent unit, one at a time if you wish. At this point I'd say to keep the Adetach button as it seems rather flexible.

I think just detaching the commander of the reserve unit(s) would be sufficient.

The Screen function for infantry appears to be a quick way to send your light battalion out as skirmishers which then act automatically. Will Aattach on the brigade commander cause them to be recalled? Or do you have to recall them with a direct command on the unit itself? For that matter, will Aattach on a battalion cause any skirmishers to be recalled? This is probably too much to hope for.

From my testing having a screening btn. attached doesn't affect its screening behavior. What is different though is that its CO will join it and add support.

I am going to guess that the AI does not invoke the Screen function on a battalion. As for the number of skirmishers, it is probably more than pre-patch but you remember how many skirmish units the Prussians sent out in the full battle as Wellington when you put the Prussians all under AI command, even with the corps commanders having All Out Attack stance.

I'm guessing this also, haven't seen it yet.

It would be nice if a screening infantry unit would retreat behind the parent unit instead of fighting until routed, as implied by RebBugler. Has anyone tested this to see what happens? RebBugler did say they would keep fighting even when exhausted.

Hook

Isn't going to happen by my testing. Screen must be canceled before unit can be controlled and situated away from the action to rally and rest.

Thanks a bunch DarkRob and Hook, this is exactly along the right discussion paths for troubleshooting this update. The multiple selection idea does work to some degree, but not enough by my testing. Please verify that when you multiple select Adetach on Division level or above that also all the level 6 (battalions, squadrons, and guns) troops are detached. By my testing only half of these units will detach, or one less than half for an odd number of units. So, if verified by you guys, Adetach is still corrupt for the Division level and above regardless of the number of times Adetach is selected.

Having reported this, and if verified, I'm leaning toward keeping Adetach ONLY on the Brigade level toolbar. By my testing using multiple Adetach commands works perfectly on the Brigade level. Plus, multiple Adetach commands aren't necessary by the player because they can be scripted. The following attachment adds this scripting, 10 additional commands, and is ready for testing.

Unzip and copy to the C:\Matrix Games\Scourge of War Waterloo\Mods\Expanded Toolbar V - Grog\Layout folder, overwrite or rename original...

NA...included with the 5.81 update

Remember, just select Adetach once for testing, and we're just looking for accuracy on the Brigade level. If everything pans out as I'm predicting, the upgrade fix this weekend won't include Adetach on the Division level or above.

Thanks in Advance :)

Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
    Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...
    Last edit: 2 years 4 weeks ago by RebBugler.

2 years 1 month ago #308 by Hook

• Grunt
  • Grunt

I think just detaching the commander of the reserve unit(s) would be sufficient.

Situation: Full battle, WL10. I want to commit Reille but have him keep more reserves than he normally would, and I don't care who they are or want to spend any time thinking about it... just leave it up to Reille. I select him and click Adetach, then give him orders to advance. The detached divisions stay in place as his reserve. He *probably* won't reattach these units on his own, but it is possible and I've seen such things happen. Later I can either reattach them to Reille myself (then reissue Reille's orders so he uses them), commit them manually but leave them detached, or use them for another purpose.

This is how I'd use such a function. Of course if the detached units weren't appropriate for a reserve then I wouldn't be doing it more than a couple of times. :)

I'd rather have the function and not use it than need the function and not have it, and I don't think it's using any more screen real estate. Of course I could always assign a key command to invoke it.

Hm... one less than half. Does this mean you cannot detach ALL units, but you have to keep at least one unit under the commander? Seems appropriate. I do know that I can manually detach every division under a corps commander and I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Hook

2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #309 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Hook wrote:

Situation: Full battle, WL10. I want to commit Reille but have him keep more reserves than he normally would, and I don't care who they are or want to spend any time thinking about it... just leave it up to Reille. I select him and click Adetach, then give him orders to advance. The detached divisions stay in place as his reserve. He *probably* won't reattach these units on his own, but it is possible and I've seen such things happen. Later I can either reattach them to Reille myself (then reissue Reille's orders so he uses them), commit them manually but leave them detached, or use them for another purpose.

This is how I'd use such a function. Of course if the detached units weren't appropriate for a reserve then I wouldn't be doing it more than a couple of times. :)

I'd rather have the function and not use it than need the function and not have it, and I don't think it's using any more screen real estate. Of course I could always assign a key command to invoke it.

Hm... one less than half. Does this mean you cannot detach ALL units, but you have to keep at least one unit under the commander? Seems appropriate. I do know that I can manually detach every division under a corps commander and I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Hook

Read this a couple of hours ago and thought NO WAY, the bottom line is that the function must do what it says...Detach All Subordinates. But after some further thought, as you did raise some interesting points of player choice, I'm thinking we can keep the setup as is (with my attachment) and just change the Tool Tip message beyond Brigade level. For example, with the upper echelons the Tool Tip would read: Detach half to be held in Reserve...If it fits, message length is limited. Thoughts?

You're right about the detach command being iffy. It affects player movement of troops but not AI movement. Detached AI controlled units will be called up when their officer needs them, usually when an engagement of his attached troops starts going south.

Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by RebBugler.

2 years 1 month ago #310 by mcaryf

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 109

• Replied by mcaryf on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog
    Hi Reb

I had a look at the screen function to see if it might be useful as a tool for the AI to use in scripted activity. I found that the unit with the screen command seems to be very aggressive changing its position by over 700 yards to go and pick a fight with an enemy unit it has spotted which is that distance away.

I had rather a complicated situation with several battalions to which I had given screening commands having run off to pick fights with some distant enemy unit. At some stage one of them started displaying an unsplit (or skirmisher recall) button I pressed it and was told that you cannot do that to an unsplit battalion. I am sorry I cannot be very precise about the circumstances when this occurred as I was trying to stop the screening battalions from running off and it could even be that this particular battalion with the unsplit button was one the AI might have created. I only mention it in case it rings a bell with you.

I had hoped to use the screen command coupled with the Divisional command to form squares with artillery between them so that the AI could set up a strong defensive "Rob fortress" type structure. The screening unit seems to base its position on its brigade officers location so not really screening the guns that are sitting between the two brigade sets of squares but given the aggressive reaction of the screening unit it might work. Unfortunately the vulnerability to cavalry and the likelihood of extreme fatigue probably makes this facility unsuitable for AI scripting.

What I would really like to achieve is for AI artillery to have effective infantry guarding units that would deploy against threats in advance of the artillery rather than behind it and act as skirmishers if the enemy is infantry or a square if the enemy is cavalry. As things currently are I think a cavalry squadron in guard mode is probably still the best option to use with AI scripting.

I use units as "guards" quite a lot and the Aattach command might be useful in that context as of course the guard order automatically detaches the relevant unit. I can see that I might possibly use Aattach if I needed to recombine a brigade to act offensively as I sometimes lose track of which brigades units have been detached from as guards. I do not think I am very likely ever to use a fairly random Adetach command but if others want to have it I cannot see any objection.

I do find the split battalion command very useful particularly for cavalry that I want to take an objective and I am still thinking about other uses for it.

regards

Mike

2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 4 weeks ago #311 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Apologies, I screwed up that recent attachment. Fixed and replaced,
    NA...included with the 5.81 update
    Edit, you'll be replacing the Layout folder now, with the Tool Tip info changed as discussed.

2 years 1 month ago #312 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• mcaryf wrote: Hi Reb
    I had rather a complicated situation with several battalions to which I had given screening commands having run off to pick fights with some distant enemy unit. At some stage one of them started displaying an unsplit (or skirmisher recall) button I pressed it and was told that you cannot do that to an unsplit battalion. I am sorry I cannot be very precise about the circumstances when this occurred as I was trying to stop the screening battalions from running off and it could even be that this particular battalion with the unsplit button was one the AI might have created. I only mention it in case it rings a bell with you.

regards

Mike

I spent a lot of time hiding those unsplit buttons on the screening toolbar. They should never appear. If you can duplicate how this happened and determine the cause it sure would be helpful. Meanwhile, I'll look for it in my testing.

Thanks for the report :)

And to back up your screening message, yeah, those screening btns are like wild beasts...Uncontrollable. :woohoo:

2 years 1 month ago #313 by Hook

• Grunt
  • Grunt

You're right about the detach command being iffy. It affects player movement of troops but not AI movement. Detached AI controlled units will be called up when their officer needs them, usually when an engagement of his attached troops starts going south.

While it can be annoying when it happens, I believe it is appropriate. In any case that mechanism will work well if you detach some of your force specifically intending them to be a reserve. The leader will activate them as needed.

"Detach a reserve"?

Hook

2 years 1 month ago #314 by Jean Lafitte

• Grunt
  • Grunt

• Thank you received: 34

• I've run the new Toolbar for a couple of sessions over the last couple of days and, as expected, it works just fine with no problems. Thanks, Reb.

2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #315 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• mcaryf wrote: I use units as "guards" quite a lot and the Aattach command might be useful in that context as of course the guard order automatically detaches the relevant unit. I can see that I might possibly use Aattach if I needed to recombine a brigade to act offensively as I sometimes lose track of which brigades units have been detached from as guards.

regards

Mike

Yeah, the Aattach command is a MUST command in order to find detached troops.

Last night I spent hours of testing trying to find a Brigade level path to cancelling Actions, as opposed to navigating around to each squadron and cancelling them individually. I was successful to a point by navigating via scripting, rankdown, follownone, ranknext, follownone, etc. However, the stumbling block was I couldn't find a way to go back to the original Brigade officer selected. Most of the time it defaulted back to ME (Division level), sometimes another Brigade CO, depending on which scripting I used, rankup, gotosel, or just ending the script with follownone...I think I tried every combination possible.

And this leads to the last snag, if we go with the return to ME version, the player has to navigate back to the original officer selected and click the Cancel Action button one more time. If we had Tool Tips that would accommodate LONG messages this command function could be considered, but without informative steps to take, most players would be lost and just assume the Grog Toolbar is buggy.

Thoughts or fixes?

Davide, if you're listening in, are there any commands available to return to a selected officer after a 'rank navigating' script has been run? Or, do you know of another scripting sequence to solve this issue?

2 years 1 month ago #316 by mcaryf

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 109

• Replied by mcaryf on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog
    Hi Reb
    After further experiments I find that if I take command of a "screening" unit and order it to resupply then the normal formation command options appear and the unit will execute them except for split battalion. If I then switch TC off the unit reverts to its screening role. I do not know if you intended this to be the case but I do think it ought to be possible for the player who has used TC to be able to order the unit how they might want especially to make it form square if threatened by cavalry. If I then flip the attach button the unit also gets the option to lie down added to what it can do.

It is also possible to issue a Screen command to a single battalion that has been split from a brigade and has an officer of its own. I am still thinking about whether this would be a useful method for using Screen to set up a guard for my artillery units as I then have the opportunity to have a more active defending unit. I could place the officer some distance behind the artillery unit so that the screen unit is just in front of the artillery and so less likely to go running off after enemy units that are too far off to be a threat. I presume the battery could still fire as it would be in skirmish format although I have not tested that yet.

Normally it seems I cannot issue a Screening command to a battalion that has already hived off a skirmisher unit. However, I can do that if I have previously issued a Guard command, hived off a skirmisher, which actually inherits the Guard command, I then take the Guard command off the parent battalion and instead issue a Screen command which works. Thus i could use a single battalion to provide both a normal Guarding skirmisher squad and a hyper-active skirmisher screening unit. I quite like this and am still reviewing other possibilities and combinations so I would prefer you not to change anything that currently allows this to happen.

Regards

Mike

2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #317 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Version 5.8 update...Adjusts and provides further information about the features introduced with update version 5.75

Target Cavalry
    - No reports of issues

Addition of Aattach and Adetach
    - Aattach, no reports of issues
    - Adetach, redefined
    With additional scripting Adetach works as designed (detach all subordinates) on the brigade level only. For the upper echelons it detaches approximately half the forces selected.

'Screening action' option made available for infantry battalions
    - Split battalions won't Screen
    - Screening battalions can't be split
    - Multiple battalions in Screen mode should be avoided as they mirror movements and tend to pile up on each other (serious overlapping concerns)
    - For some more in depth findings read Mike's post immediately above

Very good feedback this past week concerning the 5.75 update. Thanks to all that participated in this upgrade to 5.8. :)

2 years 4 weeks ago - 2 years 4 weeks ago #318 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Update version 5.81 - fixes some issues with the recently introduced 'Artillery Target Cavalry' function

Guess no one that's recently updated to version 5.8 has used the 'Target Cavalry' command otherwise I'd heard about it, because, that function was totally corrupted. The command worked fine, however, once initiated it blocked any other targeting commands from being called, IOW, it was stuck in Target Cavalry for the duration of that game. It was totally my error, I had tested the command function but not the follow up displays which when applied correctly were imperative for changing or canceling targeting.

Also changed a few other things including redoing the target cavalry button displays and making the brigade level cavalry actions window bigger for clarity.

Additionally, I found a vulnerability issue with artillery that necessitated showing the retreat button during limbering and unlimbering, before it only showed the retreat option while engaged. Especially with enemy cavalry approaching, I found that the player needs that retreat button option available because AI controlled guns will limber on their own and become 'capture fodder' while in that limbering state. The player needs to jump in and hit Retreat quickly in such circumstances. This is an instance where my quest for eliminating unnecessary buttons, depending on the units action state, made a unit vulnerable leaving the player no option to help out. This fix should now provide that help.

Apologies for this screw up making this update a MUST, without it cavalry targeting is an ugly bust. At least I found some other stuff to fix and improve so it's not just a remedy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jean Lafitte, Hook, voltigeur

2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #319 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Got a question through a PM just recently about how to make the toolbar half the screen size, move it to the far right, and make it disappear when not in use. So, for tutorial purposes, for anyone interested, I moved the discussion to this thread to explain how the Grog Toolbar already has two optional files included that with just a little editing can accomplish that setup. The two files are "toolbar - 66Wide.layout" and "toolbar - Scrollbar.layout". The 66Wide version reduces the toolbar width by one third and centers it. The Scrollbar version enables the disappearing act.

For the setup below I made a copy of the 'Scrollbar' version, and renamed it 'toolbar' (renamed the original toolbar file first). I then opened it along with '66Wide' and copied the position (red numbers 1 and 2) and size (red numbers 3 and 4) numbers to replace the corresponding numbers in the Scrollbar (now named toolbar) file. Once the new numbers were pasted in I changed number 1 (position across) from 0.165 to 0.333 to move the toolbar from centered to hug the right corner. Omit this last step to keep toolbar centered.

For this tutorial here's the download for the toolbar.layout file created as per the above instructions. This is the updated 5.81 version. Please don't count on this setup for the next Grog Toolbar upgrade, I've got enough toolbar variations to keep up with. Unzip and copy to the Layout folder, rename original first:

File Attachment:

File Name: toolbar_20...7-14.zip
    File Size:11 KB

Continuing with the downloaded toolbar file...
    For the final part of this request, making the toolbar half the size of the window, we continue by adjusting that same line of numbers. First, change number 1 to 0.5, then change number 3 also to 0.5. Easy to see that these numbers are percentages of the window now, half way across and half the size. Now the next to last step, finding the right height number to fit the new width. The number to adjust for this is 4. I just kinda figure the percentage in my head and then tweak and test, takes me several times usually to get percentages right, and yes, tweaking and testing means starting the game with each tweak and checking it out. And finally, once the acceptable height percentage is found, adjust number 2 for vertical positioning. If anyone knows of a formula to speed up these last two steps, please share.

There you have it, looks like a lot of stuff but it's really an easy mod once you understand how the percentages work, and most of us should have learned percentages, basically fractions, in elementary school. And then...Algebra II comes along and crushes our math ego.

Attachments:
    Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: xray

2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #320 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• xray,

Went ahead and built your request to make sure I covered the bases, here's the resulting screenshot of the finished request...

If you want to try it out on your rig here's the percentages to fill in, edit the attached toolbar file in the previous post: position_real="0.5 0.95 0.5 0.1"

As you can see by the screenshot the fonts are too large for this narrow, half size, setup. This is why I stayed with a limit of 0.66 for narrowing the width, this test refreshed my memory. Unless you can live with only four digit troop counts and a messed up battle time clock, I suggest you keep the width of the toolbar at two thirds, the width of the 66Wide file provided.

Whatever you decide to do I'd sure appreciate a screenshot posted here of your final choice, along with your resolution numbers, so I can use it to refer to and show the Grog Toolbar's setup versatility at varying resolutions.

Attachments:
    Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by RebBugler.

1 year 7 months ago #321 by Jack ONeill

• Division Commander
  • Division Commander

• Thank you received: 251

• Oh Brilliant Brother,

I require your assistance -

After an eon, I have installed SOWWL on my work computer, which is a tower, not a laptop. It is very similar to my tower at home. Game runs well, but I am unable to update it through the work servers, (Butt=pains there).

Have the toolbar Mod enabled, resign as per normal, game comes up, click on single player, then when I click on "scenarios" or "sandbox" I get CTD. Have changed the screen resolution a few times, but no joy.

Thoughts?

Jack "wandering the wasteland" O'Neill

American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"

1 year 7 months ago #322 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Jack ONeill wrote: Oh Brilliant Brother,

I require your assistance -

After an eon, I have installed SOWWL on my work computer, which is a tower, not a laptop. It is very similar to my tower at home. Game runs well, but I am unable to update it through the work servers, (Butt=pains there).

Have the toolbar Mod enabled, resign as per normal, game comes up, click on single player, then when I click on "scenarios" or "sandbox" I get CTD. Have changed the screen resolution a few times, but no joy.

Thoughts?

Jack "wandering the wasteland" O'Neill

All Right...Jack is Back! Great to hear from you after a long hiatus.

This Grog Toolbar has been through the rigors of testing and has been crash free for over a year...With many faithful users feeding back, reporting no instability. So, let's figure out your issue.

Are you updated with the latest 1.03 patch?
    Does the game run without the Grog Toolbar mod enabled?

If you answered yes to these two questions, after your next crash with this mod enabled, please post your SowWL.log file here, located in your Documents/SowWL folder.

One more thing, make sure this mod is in the lowest priority in Modifications, below all other enabled mods.

Thanks for the report Jack...

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #323 by Jack ONeill

• Division Commander
  • Division Commander

• Thank you received: 251

• Brother,

Yes, good to be back...as much as I can. (Been a nightmare out here...'nuf said).

So, I think what is happening is this -

Uninstalled from the work comp. Downloaded game onto flash-drive. Installed game on home comp tower from flash=drive. Tried the mark V toolbar - CTD.

Attempted to update game. CTD with "C+++ Visual etc" msg on desktop screen. Unchecked Mark V toolbar. Game runs fine. Have downloaded "C++" repair and installed. CTD.

Uninstalled game from tower. Tried to download directly onto home tower. No Joy... Connection sucks. (Probably the wiFi unit in comp).

Have come to the conclusion the game must be downloaded directly onto the comp to be used, not a transfer flashdrive.

Note - All worked fine on laptop until I ran out of space on said laptop. :laugh:

Will try direct cable connection to router and see.

So, it's not the Toolbar Mod. It's my comp not allowing the update required to help it all run.

Yours in haste,

Jack "off to Fry's...again" O'Neill B)

American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
    Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Jack ONeill.

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #324 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• French version ready for testing and corrections (Switch to French (Language) in Options pg.3):

Version VI 6.0, French Update now available via first post

Here is a list of translations. Please make corrections of this list by referring to its number listing.

1) IDS_Movefwd> Avancez unité
    2) IDS_Movefwd_100> Avancez unité de 100 mètres
    3) IDS_Movefwd_200> Avancez unité de 200 mètres
    4) IDS_Movefwd_300> Avancez unité de 300 mètres
    5) IDS_ObliquesFlanks> Obliquer / Flanc Mouvement
    6) IDS_Left_Flank> Flanc à gauche
    7) IDS_Right_Flank> Flanc à droite
    8) IDS_Follow> Suivre Unité (HITS)
    9) IDS_weaponmax> Maximum Portée
    10) IDS_Formations> Choisir Formation
    11) IDS_FormationsToolbar_Btn> Choisir Formation, Bataillon
    12) IDS_FormationsToolbar_Cav> Choisir Formation, Cavalerie
    13) IDS_FormationsToolbar_Art> Choisir Formation, Artillerie
    14) IDS_FormationsToolbar> Choisir Formation
    15) IDS_Attached> Attaché
    16) IDS_Queue_Set_Options> Rapide Ordre Options
    17) IDS_Attackmarch_Run> Forcer le Mouvement,Course
    18) IDS_Attackmarch_Column_Run> Forcer le Mouvement,Colonne,Course
    19) IDS_Attackmarch_Line_Run> Forcer le Mouvement,Ligne,Course
    20) IDS_Attackmarch_Square_Run> Forcer le Mouvement,Carré,Course
    21) IDS_Line_Forward> Avancez Ligne de 30 mètres
    22) IDS_Force_Line_Forward> Forcer Ligne 30 mètres,Course
    23) IDS_ICO_Justrun> Battre en retraite/choisir destination
    24) IDS_Choose_Targeting> Choisir Cible Options
    25) IDS_Leadership> Commandement
    26) IDS_Experience> Expérience
    27) IDS_Ammo_per_Man> Munition par Soldat
    28) IDS_AMMO> Munition
    29) IDS_tcofficers> Prendre en Charge Officiers
    30) IDS_ICO_Lie_Down> S'allonger
    31) IDS_ICO_Rise_Up> Se lever
    32) IDS_ICO_LieDown/RiseUp> S'allonger / Se lever
    33) IDS_Line_Artillery_Front> Ligne, Artillerie Front
    34) IDS_ICO_Leader_Double_Quick_Gallop> Chef Double vitesse (Galop)
    35) IDS_ICO_Leader_Halt> Chef Halte
    36) IDS_ICO_Leader_Normal_Speed_Walk> Chef vitesse Normale (Marche)
    37) IDS_ICO_Leader_Use_Roads> Chef Utilise les routes
    38) IDS_ICO_Assault_Level5> Assaut Lignes dans Colonne
    39) IDS_ICO_Assault_Level5_Forward> Avancez Assaut Lignes
    40) IDS_Artillery_Line_Forward_20> Avancez Ligne de 20 mètres
    41) IDS_Artillery_Line_Forward_50> Avancez Ligne de 50 mètres
    42) IDS_Gun_Forward_20> Avancez Canon de 20 mètres
    43) IDS_Gun_Forward_50> Avancez Canon de 50 mètres
    44) IDS_ICO_Formation_Forward_20> Avancez Formation de 30 mètres
    45) IDS_ICO_Formation_Forward_50> Avancez Formation de 50 mètres
    46) IDS_ICO_Formation_Forward_100> Avancez Formation de 100 mètres
    47) IDS_ICO_Formation_Forward_500> Avancez Formation de 500 mètres
    48) IDS_ICO_Formation_Forward_1000> Avancez Formation de 1000 mètres
    49) IDS_Zoom> Zoom 2x, Zoom4x, Annuler
    50) IDS_Line_with_Reserves> Ligne avec réserves
    51) IDS_Column_by_Divisions_Half> Colonne par divisions, moitié
    52) IDS_Column_by_Divisions_Quarter> Colonne par divisions, trimestre
    53) IDS_Assault_Lines> Assaut Lignes
    54) IDS_Ordre_Mixte_Left> Ordre Mixte Gauche
    55) IDS_Ordre_Mixte_Right> Ordre Mixte Droite
    56) IDS_Line_Fight> Ligne Combat
    57) IDS_Column_by_Divisions_Full> Colonne par divisions, plein
    58) IDS_Column_in_Line> Colonne dans Ligne
    59) IDS_Column_with_Reserves> Colonne avec réserves
    60) IDS_Ordre_Mixte_Division> Ordre Mixte Division
    61) IDS_Column_of_Brigades_in_Line> Brigades Colonne dans Ligne
    62) IDS_Attack_Columns> Attaque Colonnes
    63) IDS_Infantry_Triple_Line> Infanterie Tripler Ligne
    64) IDS_Infantry_Triple_Line_Prussia> Infanterie Tripler Ligne, Prusse
    65) IDS_Column_Wide> Colonne de large
    66) IDS_Keep_Line_Forward> Garder Ligne, Avancez 30 mètres
    67) IDS_Choose_Action> Choisir Action
    68) IDS_Split_Brigade> Divisé Brigade
    69) IDS_Join_Brigade> Joindre Brigade
    70) IDS_VolleyHoldFire> Retenir tir de volée
    71) IDS_Single_Column> Unique Colonne
    72) IDS_Casualties_Casualties> Pertes:
    73) IDS_Guard_Off> Garde Annuler, Réattacher
    74) IDS_Raid_Off> Raid Annuler, Réattacher
    75) IDS_Screen_Off> Protéger Annuler, Réattacher
    76) IDS_Scout_Off> Scout Annuler, Réattacher
    77) IDS_Cancel_Squadron_Action> Annuler, Passer outre par Escadron
    78) IDS_DumpOOBscenario> Sauvegarder OOB Scénario
    79) IDS_Pause_Game> Pause Jeu
    80) IDS_Resume_Game> Mis en pause
    81) IDS_Brigade> Infanterie Brigades
    82) IDS_Squadrons> Cavalerie Escadron/Brigades
    83) IDS_Battery> Artillerie Batterie
    84) IDS_Ammowagon> Wagon à munitions
    85) IDS_Division> Division
    86) IDS_Corps> Corps
    87) IDS_Division_Cavalry> Cavalerie Division
    88) IDS_Corps_Cavalry> Cavalerie Corps
    89) IDS_Division_Artillery> Artillerie Division
    90) IDS_Corps_Artillery> Artillerie Corps
    91) IDS_Army_Allies> Armée, Alliés
    92) IDS_Army_French> Armée, Francias
    93) IDS_Line_Hold> Garder Ligne
    94) IDS_Line_Wide> Ligne de large
    95) IDS_DoubleLine_Hold> Garder Double Ligne
    96) IDS_Movefwd> Avancez unité Options
    97) IDS_MoveFormFwd> Avancez Formation Options
    98) IDS_Select_Orders> Ordres sélectionner
    99) IDS_Orders> Ordres
    100) IDS_Maneuver_Columns> Manoeuvre Colonnes
    101) IDS_Battle_Columns> Bataille Colonnes
    102) IDS_Battle_Columns_Wide> Bataille Colonnes de large
    103) IDS_Columns_Select> Colonnes sélectionner
    104) IDS_Column_in_Line_Prussia> Colonnes dans Ligne, Prusse
    105) IDS_Columns> Colonnes
    106) IDS_Hold_Fire_Off> Annuler Retenir les tirs
    107) IDS_Engagement_Options> Combat Options
    108) IDS_LimberUnlimber> Atteler / Désatteler
    109) IDS_Unlimbered_Click_gun> Atteler le canon
    110) IDS_Unlimbered_Click> Atteler la batterie
    111) IDS_Limbered_Click_gun> Désatteler le canon
    112) IDS_Limbered_Click> Désatteler la batterie
    113) IDS_Shrapnel> Shrapnel
    114) IDS_RightClickHoldtoPan> Cliquer sur Tenir,Caméra rotation
    115) IDS_Zoom4X> Zoom 4X
    116) IDS_SCENARIOS> Scénarios
    117) IDS_ReloadChangeMunitions> Recharger; Changer de Munitions
    118) IDS_Artillery_between_Squares> Artillerie entre Carrés
    119) IDS_Target_Cavalry> Cible d'cavalerie
    120) IDS_Aattach> Attacher tout Unités
    121) IDS_Guard_Screen> Garde ou Protéger

Also widened some buttons to accommodate longer French translations. Feel free to make any further suggestions if French text messages are difficult to read or interpret. If any IDS_ readouts appear, please identify.

Merci

Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by RebBugler.

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #325 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Update to Version 6.0: ...Primarily a French language upgrade. All text used by this mod is translated to French when the French Language option is selected.

- Tooltip message backgrounds widened to accommodate longer French translations
    - Window buttons realigned and widened to accommodate longer French translations. Alignments were needed anyway, disjunctive spacing between buttons was never addressed before this update.
    - Some English tooltip messages edited for clarity of command functions
    - Added the Takecover function to the 'Stand' Context Menu which had mistakenly been left off
    - Removed the 'Adetach' command. This command was just too unpredictable, making it impossible to explain function wise. English language folks who find this command useful should opt to remain with version 5.81.
    - Added a new folder, Optional Toolbar Features, which contains the 66Wide and Scrollbar optional toolbars. It allows for an easier procedure to activate these toolbars and includes descriptive information with procedural instructions.
    - Some Italian functions are translated already to make the toolbar at least playable...All buttons appear as to Status requirements

Please ignore the German language option, it was just added to see if it could be done, and it can by preliminary findings. Still a long way off though, if ever, considering that it's not supported at all...

Italian coming next. Sooner if help arrives. :unsure:

Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Asid

1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #326 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Version 6.5 is primarily an Italian language upgrade. All text used by this mod is translated to Italian when the Italian Language Option is selected.

- Tooltip backgrounds were widened to accommodate some Italian lines
    - Some English messages were edited for better clarity of function, taking advantage of the wider tooltip area
    - German is underway!

A big thanks goes to Favio (Biondo) for translating ALL the messages required to make this toolbar upgrade complete, well over 100 lines of English to Italian. And yes, he is Italian, what could be more perfect than that? :)

Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: voltigeur, Biondo

1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #327 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Update Version 7.0: German language upgrade...All text used by this mod is translated to German when the German Language Option is selected. This mod must be enabled/checked in Modifications before the German Language option will appear in the Options Window, Page 3. (Dieser mod muss aktiviert/eingecheckt Sein, bevor die Option Deutsche Sprache im Fenster Optionen, Seite 3, angezeigt wird.)

- The 'Tutorial' button is removed from the 'Single Player' screen and tutorial play is only available through the 'Scenarios' screen, when this mod is enabled. Since the tutorial files are only available through the stock game this was a necessary move for German translation purposes. The main change this causes is that now folks (other than German) must disable this mod to play the stock tutorial.
    - The EnglishLanguage.xml file is edited and now available in the Layout/Media/Language folder. It was edited to match the GermanLanguage.xml file to line up the two numerically for future translation fixes. This version was edited to fix errors and eliminate duplicate entries, 80 plus.

Since this upgrade wasn't or isn't officially supported by the game, it is rather extensive, including all the help messages, game screens, toolbar functions, map info and scenario texts...About everything text supported except the Manual.

I have a new found respect for the NSD Team folks who worked on the Italian and French translations for the original game release. Making a game multi language ready is INDEED a long and tedious process...I'm still reeling from this German endeavor.

Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: voltigeur, Biondo

1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #328 by Templer

• Cannon Fodder
  • Cannon Fodder

• Thank you received: 1

• Replied by Templer on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog

RebBugler wrote: Expanded Toolbar VII - Grog, Version 7.0 (Patch 1.03 Compliant), February 28, 2019
    This toolbar is an upgrade and replaces all previous, similarly named, Grog Toolbars.

Version 7.0 is a German language upgrade. All text used by this mod is translated to German when the German Language Option is selected. MORE INFO ...

No question, translations into other languages ​​are welcomed by many players.
    Also, I thank you for the effort of a German translation.
    Usually these translations are never completely free of errors.
    This mistake here, in the German translation, is a bit painful!

"Damen" is "Ladys" in English.
    "Männer", or "Mann" here are the right German words for the English word "Men".

Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Templer.

1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #329 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Yes indeed, that error is a bit painful. I knew better, that Männer was men, but I went with a translator I was using at the time to double check my memory. Just figured Damen was another 'men' equivalency. Now, after checking some other translators I find that Damen indeed means women, or ladies, inciting your pain. :lol:

Here's that Translator that led to my madness...

If you don't mind, and have the time, feel free to point out and correct any other errors.

Thanks for the report

Attachments:
    Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by RebBugler.

1 year 2 months ago #330 by mitra76

• NSD Dev
  • NSD Dev

• Thank you received: 383

• Replied by mitra76 on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog
    we know you're an incorrigible womanizer Randy, you think to ladies also translating :D

try www.deepl.com/translator , is a very good translator

Visit my wargames blog: warforgame.blogspot.it/

Moderators: RebBuglergunship24Leffe7Sargonpaul9038