Articles
Articles View Hits

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog

1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #331 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 1974

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • Update: Version 7.1 changes the font color of Grade, Strength, and Casualty numbers for better clarity. Added a solid background to the 'game timer', also for better clarity. Addressed a reported German translation error.

Finally upgraded to a much better computer and Win 10. With this upgrade I'm having to resort to a higher resolution, 1920x1080, and found that the colored readouts are next to impossible to read. Still the same sized font, but much clearer for all resolutions that I've tested.

The 'game timer' has always been hard to read with the practically useless sky background. I think the solid dark background is an acceptable fix.

I'm going to experiment with larger fonts for higher resolutions. As you can see by this screenshot, the need is obvious. Stay tuned...

Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
    Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...
    Attachments:
    Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: roy64, RALB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 4 weeks ago #332 by chee

• Grunt
  • Grunt

• Thank you received: 19

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Replied by chee on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog
    well....i am SOWGB longtime player,recently rach SOWWL.So this latest version is 7.1 now?
    It is very good so we can control more convenient
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

1 year 3 weeks ago #333 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• New update coming REAL soon, maybe today, I'm presently making final checks before release.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DarkRob, 52ndOx

1 year 3 weeks ago #334 by DarkRob

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 280

• Replied by DarkRob on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog

RebBugler wrote: New update coming REAL soon, maybe today, I'm presently making final checks before release.

Hey Reb, I've still been testing the latest one with Les Cent Jours. I've been using the French, Hessians , and Austrians. So far I still have no issues to report. I think we're good to go.

1 year 3 weeks ago #335 by voltigeur

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 55

• I'm going to experiment with larger fonts for higher resolutions

Hey Reb, I would be mightily pleased if you could look at 2560x1440 resolution - I have been playing that for the last couple of years and pretty much everything in the toolbar is blurred. No biggie but would just be lovely to see it sharp. cheers volt

Scourge of War multiplayer group
    steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #336 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• voltigeur wrote:

I'm going to experiment with larger fonts for higher resolutions

Hey Reb, I would be mightily pleased if you could look at 2560x1440 resolution - I have been playing that for the last couple of years and pretty much everything in the toolbar is blurred. No biggie but would just be lovely to see it sharp. cheers volt

My game resolution options only go as high as 1920x1080, so that's as far as I've tested. Do your game resolution options go to 2560x1440, or are you referring to your monitor's resolution?

Could someone confirm that their game resolution highest option is 1920x1080? This post by volt got me thinking that maybe these game resolutions change depending on graphic card capabilities.

Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by RebBugler.

1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #337 by 52ndOx

• Grunt
  • Grunt

• Thank you received: 92

• Replied by 52ndOx on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog

Could someone confirm that their game resolution highest option is 1920x1080?

My game allows up to 3840x2160 in the options. It clearly depends on the GPU.
    The options are in fact changed by what DSR settings you have.*

There may also be possibility to set a custom resolution via the ini file. :unsure:

I run at 1080p though as that is my monitor limit, and what my CPU can handle.

(Some GPUs actually allow the user to run at even higher resolutions than can be set in any game, the hardware can calculate what the higher resolution looks like by interpolation techniques.) B)

* Dynamic Super Resolution on Nvidia GPUs.
    Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by 52ndOx.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, voltigeur

1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #338 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Update Version 8.3...

- Adjusts files to provide compatibility with the mod Les Cent Jours.

This update replaces and supersedes v8.2 used to test the Les Cent Jours mod.

Besides compatibility adjustments for Les Cent Jours, the square formation, Austrian Battalionmasse, has been adjusted to maintain its size and shape for as long as possible. This change is mainly for gameplay purposes, so the player can identify square formations through most stages of attrition. Also added Andrew's Austrian kneeling sprites, of which were otherwise going unused.

Original shape and size, kneeling sprites added

Attrition underway

Last attrition stage before square begins to lose its form, collapse moving from the rear

To restore the original Austrian Battalionmasse go to Logistics/Drills, Line 779, Column 2, and rename 0DRIL_Lvl6_Inf_BattalionMasse_Au to DRIL_Lvl6_Inf_BattalionMasse_Au. First, rename DRIL_Lvl6_Inf_BattalionMasse_Au, Line 733

Included also is another square version which maintains a shooter sprite behind its respective kneeling sprite before and during attrition collapse of the square's form. This is v2DRIL_Lvl6_Inf_BattalionMasse_Au, Line 756, same discussed procedure to make it active.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

- Larger fonts are now incorporated for higher resolutions.

The High Resolutions listed below now trigger larger fonts for most text. Also resolutions higher than this list will utilize larger text. This listing will change according to varying GPUs (reference numbers will change), so consider it as only a general reference of what I've tested.

Unfortunately some files refused 'Resolution Show Condition' scripting. ToolTip.layout was one such file. Until I find a solution ToolTip text is larger than normal when used at the lower resolutions. ToolTip text still fits the window skin, but its obviously too large for a professional look. If this bugs folks, simply rename or delete the ToolTip.layout file in the Layout folder.

Another file that refuses 'Show Condition' scripting is 'SOWWL_Settings.xml', found in the '\Base\Layout\Media\SOWWL_Media' folder. Copy this file and add it to this mod, then edit the font size larger ("JacquesFrancois_12" to "JacquesFrancois_14"). This is for folks using the higher resolutions. By my testing it enlarges some text listings, but I can't include it because it then messes up the lower resolution version with BIG fonts.

Still looking for solutions, the small OOB listings for the higher resolutions are bugging me bad, I've tested and tested, can't find the path to make them readable without squinting. Maybe Davide knows a solution to enable larger 'OOB listings' fonts, even though I messed with his formation.

Attachments:
    Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Petrus58, mitra76, voltigeur, roy64, DarkRob, RALB, 52ndOx

1 year 3 weeks ago #339 by 52ndOx

• Grunt
  • Grunt

• Thank you received: 92

• Replied by 52ndOx on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog

Adjusts files to provide compatibility with the mod Les Cent Jours.

Just to be sure.
    This toolbar version is also compatible if not using that mod, so replaces 7.1?

1 year 3 weeks ago #340 by mitra76

• NSD Dev
  • NSD Dev

• Thank you received: 383

• Replied by mitra76 on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog
    I don't know if exist a real solution without a coding action; the only thing you can try is the set the stretch value in the align property of textbox widget inside the tooltip to see if it resize the fonts too.

Visit my wargames blog: warforgame.blogspot.it/

1 year 3 weeks ago #341 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• 52ndOx wrote:

Adjusts files to provide compatibility with the mod Les Cent Jours.

Just to be sure.
    This toolbar version is also compatible if not using that mod, so replaces 7.1?

For sure! This toolbar will never rely on another mod to function properly. As with this latest update, it integrates necessary properties from specific mods to make them compatible.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DarkRob, RALB, 52ndOx

1 year 3 weeks ago #342 by xray

• Grunt
  • Grunt

• Thank you received: 12

• Replied by xray on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog
    Reb

You deserve a medal for all the hard work and expertise you have put into your excellent mod, never to slow to answer queries from players, truly a gem.

On a personal note you have enhanced my enjoyment of the game no end, so thank-you Reb.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, roy64, DarkRob, 52ndOx

1 year 2 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #343 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Update, Version 8.4 edits some more files for better compatibility with high resolution play. A new optional toolbar is now available: 75 Wide - Narrow toolbar for high resolutions.

- The 'End Game Status' screen was edited for all resolutions for better clarity
    - The "75 Wide" optional toolbar is available in the 'Optional Toolbar Displays' folder. Read the included instructions on how to activate.
    - A new folder, 'High Resolution File Options', is now located in the Layout folder. Read the 'Read Me' instructions for activating the two files located there for better high resolution play. This change was made so only high resolution settings need optional file adaptations, keeping in mind that the low resolution version works with all resolutions. Didn't like the idea that folks new to SOW and the Grog Toolbar would have to delete a file right away to make the toolbar (ToolTip readouts) text appear appropriately.

Last edit: 11 months 4 weeks ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: voltigeur, r59, RALB

1 year 4 days ago #344 by chee

• Grunt
  • Grunt

hi,,can u tell me what is the function of the campaign folder in this great mod,,,maybe it is helpful for my work.And still need txt files in other folders ? :)

1 year 4 days ago #345 by chee

• Grunt
  • Grunt

my PC is 2560*1440 so it is nice to hear you make a version supporting. In fact ,, I run all game with this resolution now from I changed a good monitor

1 year 4 days ago - 1 year 4 days ago #346 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• chee wrote: hi,,can u tell me what is the function of the campaign folder in this great mod,,,maybe it is helpful for my work.And still need txt files in other folders ? :)

The Campaign folder is only included for German translation files, since this mod is the only mod that offers the German language option.

Please take note of the LanguageEnglish.xml file in the Layout/Media/Language folder. I included this file because it corrects errors and eliminates about a hundred duplicate lines in the stock version. In addition, if you use all my German files as a guide for the Chinese language option you can see the path more clearly. Plus, it will help you determine which text can't be translated, hard coded and such. IOW, if it isn't translated to German, then it probably can't be translated to Chinese.

If you translate the LanguageEnglishMod.xml in the Language folder (and include it in your mod), I'll include a future update of this mod with Chinese text included on the Grog Toolbar, editing the toolbar.layout file, which will appear along with the Chinese Language Option, when selected of course. I'll add the Chinese Language Option in the SOWWLLanguage.xml along with this update. Don't get me wrong, you'll still have your Chinese Language mod, I'll just be making the Grog Toolbar compatible with it.

Good Luck with this quest, it's a TALL order. Just doing German fried my brain for awhile, can't even imagine the hurtles of Chinese. It looks like it doesn't even have letters or words, or even numbers, just little complicated looking pictures. :woohoo:

Last edit: 1 year 4 days ago by RebBugler.

1 year 11 hours ago - 1 year 11 hours ago #347 by Camrik

• Cannon Fodder
  • Cannon Fodder

• Thank you received: 5

• Replied by Camrik on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog
    I just bought SOW:WL and I am very happy with it but there is quite a bit to read and learn. I've read most of this thread and learned quite a few things about the game and the expanded toolbar. Let me first thank you, Reb, for your remarkable dedication and contribution in making this game so much better with your mod.

One thing that I have looked for and only found partially is an explanation on the many different formations available for a division, a brigade or a bataillon. For instance, what is the difference between division columns, division columns half, or full? I mean, I can see the difference in game, but what are the advantages of using one or the other? Same is true with line, combat line, etc. Has anyone written something comprehensive about those? Or am I to learn by trial? There are quite a few formation available and apart from the most obvious ones (square comes in mind), I am uncertain on how and when (under what circunstances) to use a specific one.

Anyone can help me with this?
    Last edit: 1 year 11 hours ago by Camrik.

11 months 4 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #348 by RALB

• Grunt
  • Grunt

• Thank you received: 20

• Replied by RALB on topic Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog
    Watch Rob's videos on the "Grog toolbar demistified" all the formation stuff is there as well
    www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFZdiSNAc51F_Cf35-1tOYaLGXBt9GRHx

Here you will find his complete playlists with all the info you are seeking
    www.youtube.com/user/DarkRob316/playlists
    Last edit: 11 months 4 weeks ago by RALB.

11 months 4 weeks ago #349 by chee

• Grunt
  • Grunt

My friend and I are making Chinese translation mod.It is a big success .It seems all text could be translated into Chinese except the directions words,"listcompass"(like south,north,,,in courier orders
    second menu)? inner function that be recognized by game.
    Your mod help me a lot ,I did add Chinese version like your Germany translation.
    I find it is still needed to add .xml in each of the scenarios.Thanks to your mod,I achieved the courier message translation.I will translate HELP system and intros.BTW,the campaign files seem not affect all scenarios.If I take 2 mods at the same time,what mod be overwritten first? my mod name's CN language support mod.

11 months 4 weeks ago #350 by chee

• Grunt
  • Grunt

hi,in my mod I add LanguageChineseMod.xml and keep English version same place.You not need do more for suit my mod . All xxxxEnglish files converted to Chinese verson.

11 months 4 weeks ago #351 by Camrik

• Cannon Fodder
  • Cannon Fodder

Thank you Ralb! I did watch some of his videos but I missed the one about the toolbar apparently.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RALB

11 months 4 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #352 by DarkRob

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

Camrik wrote: Thank you Ralb! I did watch some of his videos but I missed the one about the toolbar apparently.

Hey Camrik, just because some of my videos can end up being somewhat longwinded, especially the Grog Toolbar series, which I largely did on the fly and off the top of my head, Il try and summarize some of the more pertinent aspects as they relate to your questions here.

Generally speaking Infantry formations for the Grog toolbar can be grouped into 4 categories.

They are.

1.Melee formations
    2.Firing formations
    3.Cavalry defense formations
    4.Movement/marching formations.

With regard to your first question about the various column by division formations, all of these can be considered melee formations. Units in Column by Division(sometimes also referred to as the "assault column") receive a bonus to their melee attacks when attacking enemy infantry that is not also in the assault column formation, like Line for instance(I believe the bonus is something like 15%)

Infantry in column by division can only charge. They cannot fire while in column by division. In order to fire the unit will first take a line formation, and then fire. This will happen automatically if a unit in column by division moves within engage distance of an enemy unit and either you, or the AI does not continue to close with the enemy unit and engage in a melee.

As to what version of column by division is best for what situation, Il be honest, Ive been playing this game for 4 years, and Ive never used anything but the close order formation(the most compact formation)
    This is because the point of the assault column was to use a dense block of troops to punch through the enemy's thin line formation, and through brute force break it up.

In the same way you wouldn't throw a punch with your fist only half closed because you can generate much more concentrated power at the point of impact with a fully closed fist, the close order column by division should theoretically have the same effect.
    I say theoretically because Ive never actually bothered to see if the half and fully open formations have any different effects with regard to melee compared with the close order formation. They could all be the same and its simply a visual difference between the three. Or they could be different, but logically, if they are different, I cannot see a reason why the half and open order formations would have more striking power than the close order version. That just wouldn't make sense. The close order, being the denser of all three versions, should be the strongest.

So I just always use the close order formation. By all means feel free to experiment with it though.

Line formations are the opposite of column by division. While column by division formations are designed to maximize striking power with the bayonet, line formations are about firepower. The line formation is designed to bring all available muskets to the front lines in order to achieve maximum firepower. So rather than a dense block of troops, the line formation dispenses with depth and goes with length.

For Line formations, its real simple, and it all just has to do with the sequence of events. By default, the Grog Toolbar will move units using the Column by division formation.

There are three main Line formations

1. Line
    2. Line Hold Form
    3. Combat Line

Combat Line is an automatic formation that will happen once the unit actually engages in fire combat with an enemy unit. Its simply a reshuffling of the standard 2 rank line to a 3 rank firing line. Its happens automatically so you really never need to worry about this formation.

Regular line and Line Hold Form end in exactly the same formation. The only difference is how they move to the destination.

If you move a unit and select Line, the unit will move to the location in the column by division formation, and then deploy into line.

If you move a unit and select Line hold form, the unit will form line, or if already in line, will hold that formation and then move to the location you set for them. Line Hold Form is short for Line Hold Formation, so what it does is kind of in the name of the formation itself. You're moving the unit while holding the line formation.

In either instance, if the location you move your unit to is within firing range of an enemy unit, the game will automatically go one step further and deploy the unit into combat line and begin firing.
    Last edit: 11 months 4 weeks ago by DarkRob.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, roy64, RALB

11 months 4 weeks ago #353 by Camrik

• Cannon Fodder
  • Cannon Fodder

Thank you Rob! I just finished your first toolbar video, I'm going to watch the others now :). Your videos are very useful, thanks a bunch for taking the time to help noobs like me!

I did experiment with the different column by division versions but I did not find anything interesting. For now, and until someone can give me a good explanation, I'll simply use denser one.

As for line formations, they are pretty simple.

Thanks again, going to watch your second video now :)
    The following user(s) said Thank You: DarkRob

11 months 4 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #354 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• chee wrote: My friend and I are making Chinese translation mod.It is a big success .It seems all text could be translated into Chinese except the directions words,"listcompass"(like south,north,,,in courier orders
    second menu)? inner function that be recognized by game.
    Your mod help me a lot ,I did add Chinese version like your Germany translation.
    I find it is still needed to add .xml in each of the scenarios.Thanks to your mod,I achieved the courier message translation.I will translate HELP system and intros.BTW,the campaign files seem not affect all scenarios.If I take 2 mods at the same time,what mod be overwritten first? my mod name's CN language support mod.

Great, a big success indeed, especially to be almost done...You guys were truly diligent to pull this off in such a short period of time, I salute you. :)

Regarding the mod question...In Modifications, mods prioritized lower than mods with 'like' files always overwrite those files prioritized higher. IOW, the lowest mod reads the files last, and this last reading is what is computed.

11 months 4 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #355 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Camrik wrote: I just bought SOW:WL and I am very happy with it but there is quite a bit to read and learn. I've read most of this thread and learned quite a few things about the game and the expanded toolbar. Let me first thank you, Reb, for your remarkable dedication and contribution in making this game so much better with your mod.

One thing that I have looked for and only found partially is an explanation on the many different formations available for a division, a brigade or a bataillon. For instance, what is the difference between division columns, division columns half, or full? I mean, I can see the difference in game, but what are the advantages of using one or the other? Same is true with line, combat line, etc. Has anyone written something comprehensive about those? Or am I to learn by trial? There are quite a few formation available and apart from the most obvious ones (square comes in mind), I am uncertain on how and when (under what circunstances) to use a specific one.

Anyone can help me with this?

Well, no one's really asked, and since I don't have anything prepared, I was just going to go with your "learn by trial" suggestion. Then along came RALB and DarkRob to bail me out. Make sure you read Rob's #352 Post and then catch his videos. He's a great presenter who covers the details thoroughly.

One thing I want to divulge about the Column by Division formations that no one's seemed to have discovered...Drum Roll, the 'Full Interval Column by Division' formation moves the fastest of the Column by Division formations. Not much faster, but in battles, every second counts. I did this to give the AI a little edge as the AI uses this formation often as battles heat up because it is called from the Assault column in unitglobal. I believe the spread out formations are realistically faster also since close quarter formations would tend to restrict the length of strides. Anyway, that's my big revelation, that even DarkRob missed.

Welcome to the Game, thanks for your appreciative message. :)

11 months 4 weeks ago #356 by DarkRob

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

RebBugler wrote:

One thing I want to divulge about the Column by Division formations that no one's seemed to have discovered...Drum Roll, the 'Full Interval Column by Division' formation moves the fastest of the Column by Division formations. Not much faster, but in battles, every second counts. I did this to give the AI a little edge as the AI uses this formation often as battles heat up because it is called from the Assault column in unitglobal. I believe the spread out formations are realistically faster also since close quarter formations would tend to restrict the length of strides. Anyway, that's my big revelation, that even DarkRob missed.

Well if I figured out everything there wouldn't be anything left for anyone else to do lol
    Is there any combat difference between them? Ideally if full interval moves the fastest, they should hit the weakest, and if close order moves the slowest it should hit the hardest

Then again, it probably doesn't matter. Even if that were the case, knowing me I would just move up in full interval and then instantly switch to close order right before I charged.

11 months 4 weeks ago #357 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Is there any combat difference between them?

Yes, the spread out formations take less casualties per artillery hit. Column formation is the most vulnerable.

11 months 4 weeks ago #358 by Camrik

• Cannon Fodder
  • Cannon Fodder

RebBugler wrote:

Is there any combat difference between them?

Yes, the spread out formations take less casualties per artillery hit. Column formation is the most vulnerable.

They take less casualties, but is there a counterpart? Are full interval columns less effective in melee compared to normal column by division?

11 months 4 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #359 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Camrik wrote:

RebBugler wrote:

Is there any combat difference between them?

They take less casualties, but is there a counterpart? Are full interval columns less effective in melee compared to normal column by division?

By my observations I would say less effective because it takes longer to get the bulk of their troops into the melee. This goes with Rob's observations that the Column by Divisions default formation (closed row intervals) has more "Hit" impact when charging headlong into an enemy line. IOW, this more compact formation delivers more men at once to a targeted (charged at) enemy unit.

11 months 4 weeks ago #360 by DarkRob

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

RebBugler wrote: By my observations I would say less effective because it takes longer to get the bulk of their troops into the melee. This goes with Rob's observations that the Column by Divisions default formation (closed row intervals) has more "Hit" impact when charging headlong into an enemy line. IOW, this more compact formation delivers more men at once to a targeted (charged at) enemy unit.

This makes the most sense to me. Also, learning that the open order formation moves faster and will take fewer casualties from artillery on the approach is very useful, and makes sense as well. The more dispersed the formation, the less destructive artillery is against it. Gives me a reason to start using the open order formation as well now. As always Reb, you're the man.

Moderators: RebBuglergunship24Leffe7Sargonpaul9038