'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: 'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

Post by RebBugler »

I like the colour news pic Reb!

After a few tries I got a victory with this scenario.
Again, not easy (for me). I had a few dismal defeats before this ...

David(jolly)
I like the color picts also, touting Major Victories, hope they don't put off the historical purists, since color picts were still a century away. Still, more are planned.

Certainly appreciate your posts, along with your landscape enhancements...Thanks Again!
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB2-19_July2-The 'Philadelphia Brigade', What If (U-Brig)

Command: Brigadier General Alexander S. Webb's Second Brigade

Situation: What If: The Confederate attack plan went as ordered and the Union center was seriously threatened.
The Rebel attack has reached Emmitsburg Road. The batteries your brigade supports have momentarily ceased fire to allow our troops along the road to withdraw to more defensible positions along the ridge. Our position is strong, but our numbers have been thinned by regiments being moved south to relieve that fight that has been ominously progressing this way. Reinforcements have been requested. Regardless, with or without relief, the 'Philadelphia Brigade' will follow orders and be determined to hold this vital ground, the Union center.

Gameplay: Holding the lone objective (3000 points) for the duration is vital to achieving, but doesn't guarantee, a victory. Adjusting defensive positioning and aggressive tactics will be necessary to stop the enemy advance and secure a sound victory. When a Confederate objective flag appears above your objective, it's a bad situation but good thing. Bad in that the Rebels have invaded your position and you're in jeopardy of losing objective points. Good in that reinforcements have arrived.

Forces Available: Brigadier General Alexander S. Webb, commanding the Second Brigade, 2md Division, II Corps, Army of the Potomac, under Brigadier General John Gibbon

69th Pennsylvania, Colonel Dennis O'Kane
71st Pennsylvania, Colonel Isaac J. Wistar
72nd Pennsylvania, Colonel DeWitt Clinton Baxter
106th Pennsylvania, Colonel Turner G. Morehead

Brigade strength: 1211 troops and officers

***Philadelphia Brigade***

The "Philadelphia Brigade" (also known as the California Brigade) was a Union Army brigade that served in the American Civil War. It was raised primarily in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with the exception of the 106th regiment which contained men from Lycoming and Bradford counties.

The brigade fought with the Army of the Potomac in the Eastern Theater for the entirety of its existence and fought in several major battles, including the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, and the Overland Campaign.

During the Battle of Gettysburg, the Philadelphia Brigade defended Cemetery Ridge near the famous Angle on July 2 and July 3, 1863. On the evening of July 2, it helped drive Brig. Gen. Ambrose R. Wright's brigade back after it captured a portion of the ridge and recaptured a cannon. The 106th advanced as far as the Codori Barn near the Emmitsburg Road and the 72nd advanced just over the stone wall, before both regiments withdrew to their previous positions.

One of its most famous actions was during Pickett's Charge on July 3 at the Battle of Gettysburg, where it defended the Angle on Cemetery Ridge. Half of the brigade was mustered out in June 1864 and the remainder was transferred to another brigade.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This turned out to be more of an attack simulation than a competitive scenario. Still, after ten minutes of watching the Rebels form their assault lines, then come your way, you will have to maneuver your troops to inflict maximum damage in order to earn a Major Victory.

If anything, this scenario shows how futile Rebel attacks at this position were, even by applying this 'What If' formula. Even without the reinforcements, which were historic, the Union odds and defensive positioning were too great for any possible CSA forces in the vicinity to overcome.

One second left...Rebel attack is shattered
Webb1.jpg
Webb1.jpg (536.42 KiB) Viewed 322 times

A Victory came pretty easy for me, this Major Victory I had to fight for...
Webb2.jpg
Webb2.jpg (481.98 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Oh dear ...

The dismal dregs of defeat!
The attachment defeat.jpg is no longer available
I was sure our boys would win this with the AI counter attack that saw the rebs off!

I'll take it on the chin though, and try to do better next time. ;)

David(jolly)
Attachments
defeat.jpg
defeat.jpg (168.27 KiB) Viewed 335 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB2-12grog_July2-Barksdale, The Longest Charge (C-Brig)

Not only a grognard version, but also a more historic version of the original. With this scenario the historic trek of the 21st Mississippi and its attacks on the Bigelow and Watson batteries is included via 'must capture' objectives. Of course the player can opt for any Barksdale regiment to go after these guns, but for historical immersion, the 21st fits the bill.

Another additional historical feature is how some objectives are captured. Now, instead of just getting within an objective radius occupied by the enemy and waiting for it to time out, the enemy must be cleared of the radius. This must be done by CHARGING, just like the name of the scenario implies. Once charged, enemy units will melee briefly then retreat. After that initial retreat they will fallback, then retreat from the field in two minutes. Call it the 'Shock and Awe' effect that officers on both sides reported of Barksdale's unrelenting charge that second day of Gettysburg.

With seven minutes left and all my objective points captured I was still shy of a MV by about 150 points. With Willard's fresh troops bearing down, I thought no way I could reach that MV bar. Still, a micromanaging I went, making sure all units were hugging fences and moving stressed units away from hot zones. Slowly the score increased, despite being outnumbered and flanked. The last thirty seconds was crazy, as units on both sides routed, the score jumped all over the place, hitting just over 5000, then back down 20 points or so, then back up, etc., etc. Then...Ta Da...
One second left...
Barksdale1.jpg
Barksdale1.jpg (491.94 KiB) Viewed 321 times
...a miraculous Major Victory
Barksdale2.jpg
Barksdale2.jpg (407.46 KiB) Viewed 321 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB2-20_July2-Wofford's Swath East Reaps Guns (C-Brig)

Command: Brigadier General William T. Wofford, Wofford's Brigade

Situation: From our position in Pitzer's Woods on Seminary Ridge we've watched intently as Kershaw's Brigade attacked the Federal positions along Emmitsburg Road. Now Barksdale's Brigade, to our front, is moving out to join the fight. Waiting in reserve, we know we're next. It's only a matter of time, til we meet our destiny.

Mission: After Barksdale's charge, lead your Georgians through the Peach Orchard, roll over the remnants of the Union line, then continue east clearing the guns and securing the stony hill.

Forces Available:
Brigadier General William T. Wofford, commanding Wofford's Brigade, 1st Division, I Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

16th Georgia, Colonel Goode Bryan
18th Georgia, Lt Colonel Solon Ruff
24th Georgia, Colonel Robert McMillan
Cobb's Georgia Legion, Lt Col Luther Glenn
Phillips Georgia Legion, Lt Colonel Elihu S. Barclay
3rd GA Sharpshooter Bn, Lt Colonel Nathan Hutchins

Brigade strength: 1635 troops and officers
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Research into this scenario cleared up a couple of misconceptions I had about Wofford's advance to the Stony Hill position. First, the very limited role of Wofford brigade's involvement in the taking of the Peach Orchard position. And second, the fact that Zook's brigade retreated before Wofford attacked their right flank as they already had more than they could handle with Kershaw's large brigade attacking their front.

Historically, as they moved east, Wofford's brigade did continue to sweep from the field remnants of the Union force still fighting while retreating from the Peach Orchard, including the battery line along Wheatfield Road. However, the history ends there with this scenario. So, consider the Stony Hill objective a 'What If' factor: What if the brigades of Zook, Kelly and Sweitzer (in their historic positions) made a stand against Wofford and Kershaw?...Making for a competitive ending. Woffort's historic clash with Ayres division will have to wait for a future scenario.

For the most part of the first 15 minutes of this scenario you can sit back and watch the 'Barksdale's Attack' simulation. And, it's different every time, as you'll see in case you demand a MV and keep after that bar...iow, repeat pursuits.

Gamey players beware. Just because there's a 'Hold' objective available for around 30 minutes, doesn't mean it can be gamied. I tested it, and I'm the best gamier I know. I certify it as 'gameyproof'. You may get it early, but you will eventually lose, like I did. Ya gotta let Kershaw even the odds as you methodically and effectively fight your way to the Stony Hill objective. Otherwise, defeat!

After many play tests, this was my first serious play through to check and see how the scoring lined up with the player's effort. I had a pretty good run and as you can see I barely achieved a Victory. So, to align the scoring better with player success I added an extra Stony Hill objective that awards 400 points more (200 points per minute) for the last five minutes of play.
Wofford Victory2.jpg
Wofford Victory2.jpg (410.4 KiB) Viewed 320 times

One second left...the new scoring worked out well as I felt like I had made a Major Victory effort with this result...
Wofford MV1.jpg
Wofford MV1.jpg (587.45 KiB) Viewed 320 times

Still, a real close call, for if I had activated the objective two minutes later...No Major Victory.
I'm still bugged that the casualty comparisons don't reflect Major Victory standards, but that will probably be about par for this scenario. Because, to capture all those guns that are in your path, your casualty numbers will mount up fast as your troops eat canister. You'll in turn gain lots of engagement points, but register no enemy losses. You'll also suffer several routed companies with this 'get the guns' effort, so expect losses with the gains.
Wofford MV2.jpg
Wofford MV2.jpg (414.57 KiB) Viewed 320 times
Wofford's Brigade, Excerpt by Bradley M. Gottfried

Full Article at: http://confederatebrigades.tripod.com/woffordsbrigade/

After being in reserve, Wofford was finally ordered forward. Almost immediately, a hundred yard gap formed within the 24th Georgia as it moved through the row of Confederate artillery. Seeing the problem, Wofford rode over to the regiment and waved his hat as he urged them on. The men responded by double-quicking. Watching Wofford's heroics, Confederate battery commander Captain W. W. Parker yelled, "Hurrah for you of the bald-head." His cannoneers took up the cry and cheered the men as they rushed past. Enemy artillery opened the fire on the brigade as it broke into the open ground. One shell took out most of one company, leaving only eight men uninjured. Another shell landed in the ranks of the 16th Georgia, killing eight and wounding twenty-one. However, the gunners were much more concerned about the immediate threats posed by Kershaw's and Barksdale's Brigades, and therefore the losses in the rest of the brigade were light. General Longstreet apparently rode part of the way with the brigade, and told the men to "cheer less and fight more."

As the victorious Mississippians of Barksdale's Brigade swung left (north) to take on Humphrey's Division on Cemetery Ridge, Wofford ordered his men to continue moving straight ahead, which caused their line of battle to stretch across Wheatfield Road and move parallel with it. The left of the brigade skirted the Peach Orchard, while the right of the four hundred-yard line moved toward Stony Hill and the Wheatfield. Surgeon William Shine of the Phillip's Legion noted that "our Men charged the Enemy with a terrific Yell, peculiar to the Southerners on all such occasions." The right side of the 18th Georgia on the brigade's right wing approached the exposed flank of Zook's Brigade, forcing it to the rear. Sergeant Gilbert Frederick of the 57th New York recalled that Wofford's Brigade was "marching steadily with colors flying as though on dress parade, and guns at right-shoulder-shift." Zook's withdrawal caused a chain reaction, which ultimately forced Caldwell's entire division from the Wheatfield. This was a critical time, as Kershaw's Brigade had been roughly handled by Zook's Brigade and the Irish Brigade. John Coxe, a member of the 2nd South Carolina, recalled how Wofford rode over to his regiment with a request that the South Carolinians form on his right as the charge continued:

Wofford took off his hat and, waving it at us, turned
back and charged along his line to the left. And here
was seen how the right sort of officer can inspire his men
to accomplish next to superhuman results. Always Wofford
rode right along with his men during a fight, continually
furnishing examples and cheering them with such words
as, "Charge them, boys." Those who saw it said they never
saw such a fine military display as Wofford's line of
battle as it advanced from the pike. He went right for those
Federal cannons that were firing at us. Nor did it take
him long to reach those batteries and smash them even
before the gunners had time to turn their guns upon him.
Rushing over the artillery, he kept right on and tackled
the Yankee infantry in the woods beyond. And his
assault was so sudden and quickly executed that the
Federal lines of infantry smashed and gave way at
every point in Wofford's way . . . it became a regular rout.
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB2-25_July2-Caldwell's Division, The Wheatfield (U-Div)

Command: Brigadier General John C. Caldwell's First Division

Situation: As ordered, you've just entered the wheat field, and all hell's breaking out. Colonel Trobriand's depleted brigade is on the verge of collapse as Rebel forces invade the wheat field from the south and west. Your obligations are clear, relieve Trobriand and drive out the invaders.

Forces Available: Brigadier General John C. Caldwell, commanding the First Division, II Corps, Army of the Potomac, under Brigadier General John Gibbon

First Brigade, Colonel Edward E Cross
5th New Hampshire Regiment, Lt Colonel Charles E. Hapgood
61st New York Regiment, Lt Colonel K. Oscar Broady
81st Pennsylvania Regiment, Colonel H. Boyd McKeen
148th Pennsylvania Regiment, Lt Colonel Robert McFarlane

Irish Brigade, Colonel Patrick Kelly
28th Massachusetts Regiment, Colonel R. Byrnes
63rd New York Regiment, Lt Colonel Richard C. Bentley

Third Brigade, Brig Gen Samuel K Zook
57th New York Regiment, Lt Colonel Alford B. Chapman
66th New York Regiment, Colonel Orlando H. Morris
140th Pennsylvania Regiment, Colonel Richard P. Roberts

Fourth Brigade, Colonel John R Brooke
27th Connecticut Regiment, Lt Colonel Henry C. Merwin
2nd Delaware Regiment, Colonel William P. Baily
64th New York Regiment, Colonel Daniel G. Bingham
53rd Pennsylvania Regiment, Lt Colonel Richards McMichael
145th Pennsylvania Regiment, Colonel Hiram L. Brown

Division strength: 3222 troops and officers
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

To Arms Yanks, with this scenario you finally get "the largest Union assault of the three-day battle".

For historic and play-ability purposes, all Rebel forces, sans Semme's brigade, have been reduced 15 per cent to reflect battle casualties sustained up to this point. Historically accurate attrition rates between battle phases are impossible to acquire so consider this an unqualified guess, and, the reductions make the scenario winnable. Before these reductions I tested this scenario several times and found it impossible to win, given the odds.
Enter the Grognard Variant: Before said reductions, the original scenario.csv file has been saved in this scenario's folder as 'scenarioGROG.csv'. To play this GROG variant, first rename the original scenario.csv, then rename scenarioGROG.csv to scenario.csv. Feel free to post success with this variant, any kind of win with this Grognard Variant would indeed tout one's 'Generaling Skills'.

An important gameplay tip...
With all the extra units that SR1 play provides, unit pathing can be problematic, especially with officer movements. Many times officers will take erratically long paths when ordered to destinations. If formations are ordered immediately troops will follow their officer's erratic path and cause all kinds of obvious problems.
The solution is to wait til the officer arrives at his destination before giving formations. It's faster to guide the officer through congestion or hold down the 'Ctrl' key and double-click waypoints. Either way, it requires micromanagement, but with much faster results than waiting for an officer to take an extremely wide route to a destination . Once the officer is in position, initiate the formation. In most cases units will then move directly to the officer and their formation position.

The objectives, Cross, Kelly, Zook and Brooke, represent the historic 'High Tide' position each 'same named' brigade reached during Caldwell's attack. Although not necessary, for historical immersion guide the brigades to their respective objectives. I pretty much followed the historical routes, although I did enlist Cross's brigade to help gain and hold Brooke's salient.

One second left...Actually had a good defense set up and was steadily gaining points since my troops were receiving the 'Woods' terrain bonus, while much of the enemy were engaged in the 'Open', with no terrain bonus.
Caldwell1.jpg
Caldwell1.jpg (576.94 KiB) Viewed 319 times

This score was a pleasant surprise, but well fought by my Yanks, believe me. Prior to this MV, all my previous plays were winless. So, with this play I was intensely immersed towards getting a win, of any kind. I was so immersed I didn't even look at the score until there was 15 minutes remaining as I was rallying Brooke to go after his objective. And then the big surprise, the score was just over 3500, without the final objective points (750). Still, had to go for that objective for obvious reasons, and the gamble paid off with this final result, despite my previous large edge in engagement points being sacrificed for objective points.
Finally got around to presenting a 'battle appropriate' picture for the Union END SCREEN. Only Major Victories will receive the color (colour for the Brits) versions.
Caldwell2.jpg
Caldwell2.jpg (485.58 KiB) Viewed 319 times
At Gettysburg:
Caldwell's bloodiest combat experience was at the Battle of Gettysburg on July 2, 1863. Since May 22, he had commanded the 1st Division of the II Corps, now under Maj. Gen. Winfield S. Hancock. He and his division arrived on the battlefield the morning of July 2 and took up a reserve position on Cemetery Ridge. That afternoon, as the powerful Confederate assault from the corps of Lt. Gen. James Longstreet struck the Union III Corps, Hancock ordered Caldwell's division to reinforce the III Corps in the Wheatfield. Caldwell got his division moving quickly and conducted the largest Union assault of the three-day battle.
Last edited by RebBugler on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Please keep 'em coming Reb. I'm having 'fun' on GB2-20 at the moment!

David(jolly)
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

GB2-20

I ran out of time! (and men). ;)
The attachment GB2_20.jpg is no longer available
David(jolly)
Attachments
GB2_20.jpg
GB2_20.jpg (165.37 KiB) Viewed 335 times
Last edited by Jolly on Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB2-20

I ran out of time! (and men).
Thanks for confirming the GROG nature of this scenario. Hopefully this was at least an entertaining Defeat. :P
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Oh it certainly was Reb! No worries on that front.

David(jolly)