Statistics

Users
Articles
Articles View Hits

Video Card Poll and Discussion

Poll: Your VGA Texture File Size Capabilites (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

8192 or above
31 93.9%
4096 willing to upgrade
No votes 0%
2048 or below, willing to upgrade
1 3%
4096 not willing to upgrade
1 3%
2048 or below, not willing to upgrade
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 33 ( Col. Manning, con20or, voltigeur, 30th PVI, Martin James ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 week ago #1 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 2081

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • To determine your current VGA's texture file size capabilities go to the SOWGB.log file located in the Work folder, this is the file you open to find errors and general loading info. Near the top of the file, after mods are loaded, you'll find a similar line like this: 09:50:01 Ansi:16, TexH:16384, TexW:16384. The number 16384 in this example is what this poll is asking for--texture file size capability. This is my card's specs, so I'll begin this off by checking the first option, 8192 (8K) or above.

This is important information for improving overall performance with future SOW releases, hopefully EVERYONE that cares about bigger and more elaborate battles and battlefields will participate.

Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
    Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...
    Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by RebBugler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 1 month ago #2 by Stellar Duck

• GB
  • GB

• Thank you received: 27

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Mine was 16384 as well.

Do you need any other information on the card or is this enough?

Snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory since 1982

7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #3 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

Thanks for asking, the answer is no, and it provides me with a lead to explain more about the rationale of this poll.

Fact - The more texture sheets being read by a video card, VGA, the slower the game performance, less FPS (Frames Per Second) rates--the larger the sheets the more graphics per sheet, thus fewer sheets for the same number of graphics

Presently SOW sprites are packed on 2048 (pixels) sized texture sheets. I am in the process of adding TC2M sprites to the game and I am packing them on 4096 sheets. I figured this was no problem since my last two B&F upgrades have used the 4096 sheets for flags. Only a couple of folks had to opt out of the upgrades because of ancient or very cheap cards. I feel it's worth it for the performance boost the rest of us get, the other 99% or so.

The texture packer that SOW uses goes up to the max listed in this poll, 8192. So, you see the possibilities for future performance boosts if enough folks have capable video cards.

Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Stellar Duck

7 years 1 month ago #4 by Stellar Duck

• GB
  • GB

Thanks for asking, the answer is no, and it provides me with a lead to explain more about the rationale of this poll.

Fact - The more texture sheets being read by a video card, VGA, the slower the game performance, less FPS (Frames Per Second) rates, so, the larger the sheet the more graphics per card, thus fewer sheets

Presently SOW sprites are packed on 2048 (pixels) sized texture sheets. I am in the process of adding TC2M sprites to the game and I am packing them on 4096 sheets. I figured this was no problem since my last two B&F upgrades have used the 4096 sheets for flags. Only a couple of folks had to opt out of the upgrades because of ancient or very cheap cards. I feel it's worth it for the performance boost the rest of us get, the other 99% or so.

The texture packer that SOW uses goes up to the max listed in this poll, 8192. So, you see the possibilities for future performance boosts if enough folks have capable video cards.

Thanks for this explanation!

I don't know a whole lot about this stuff so sometimes it's nice to know what goes on under the hood.

Having added some mods with higher res flags, yours actually, and it's splendid, and what not didn't seem to affect anything on the frame rate side, which leads me to suspect my rather low frame rates are CPU bound. Still this isn't a game where I feel it suffers much from running at 10 fps in a major engagement.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

7 years 1 month ago #5 by voltigeur

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 55

• These days many people with older machines can easily boost their graphics capability without power upgrades by getting an Nvidia 750 or 750TI (preferred) - these are low power cards that only run off the motherboard power and don't need separate power cables. Plus they are quite fast and very reasonably priced. Well worth looking into and the game certainly 'comes alive' with better cards and cpu's.

cheers

Scourge of War multiplayer group
    steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

7 years 1 month ago #6 by Davinci

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member

• Thank you received: 760

• The texture packer that SOW uses goes up to the max listed in this poll, 8192. So, you see the possibilities for future performance boosts if enough folks have capable video cards.

I voted in the 8192 slot also.

Hey, Reb - this sort of reminds 'Me' of something that 'Norb' said years ago, probably not the exact quote.

Something to the effect of ''no matter what 'he' does to speed the game up'', we as Modders are constantly going to keep adding stuff to slow it back down.

Well.....I know that I'm guilty of that!

davinci

The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!

7 years 1 month ago #7 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Hey, Reb - this sort of reminds 'Me' of something that 'Norb' said years ago, probably not the exact quote.

Something to the effect of ''no matter what 'he' does to speed the game up'', we as Modders are constantly going to keep adding stuff to slow it back down.

Well, if this poll reflects everyone indicating the top three options, then us modders will have a valuable tool to improve performance. Of course, we know what happens then, it then allows us to add more stuff, thus negating the prior boost in performance. :P

7 years 1 month ago #8 by Saddletank

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Thank you received: 587

• Birthdate: 06 Sep 1959
  • My log file showed 8192, but my card is an Nvidia GTX 460 SE which is well over 3 years old and which I now consider at the end of its gaming life. I think if people are buying games like SoW and expecting them to run on cards with less memory or speed I don't think you need to pay too much attention to that segment of the market.

HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.

7 years 1 month ago #9 by Stellar Duck

• GB
  • GB

• My log file showed 8192, but my card is an Nvidia GTX 460 SE which is well over 3 years old and which I now consider at the end of its gaming life. I think if people are buying games like SoW and expecting them to run on cards with less memory or speed I don't think you need to pay too much attention to that segment of the market.

Hmm. People might be deceived by the looks. I mean, this is game is a bit of a resource hog, and people may think it's not because it doesn't look like Total War.

But I suppose that's hard to avoid if people will not read.

7 years 1 month ago #10 by voltigeur

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 55

• I think if people are buying games like SoW and expecting them to run on cards with less memory or speed I don't think you need to pay too much attention to that segment of the market.

Absolutely agree Saddletank. Even though some people will hold onto their machines for years, they will get replaced due to part failure or bit rot anyway.

This is a great opportunity with the new engine to take the graphics capabilities to the next level, and will help to attract a new market of gamers out there who already have modern hardware, but might have been put off previous game engines due to the 'look' of those graphics.

cheers

Scourge of War multiplayer group
    steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #11 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Poll's shaping up nicely, still need more respondents though. Thanks for the discussions guys, this is a big part of this thread and all opinions are welcome.

Question: How can one determine the maximum texture sheet size a specific graphics/video/VGA card can handle by viewing it's advertised specs? I have searched for this numerous times and can find no references whatsoever.

Another question: What would be the least expensive VGA card to purchase that would upgrade folks to this poll's focus number, 8192 (lets call it 8K for discussion purposes)? If you feel you have a low priced VGA card that handles 8K texture sheets, please list it's name, amount of RAM, and price range.

Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by RebBugler.

7 years 4 weeks ago #12 by Davinci

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member

• Question: How can one determine the maximum texture sheet size a specific graphics/video/VGA card can handle by viewing it's advertised specs? I have searched for this numerous times and can find no references whatsoever.

Hey, Reb - I don't know the answer to your question but I do have a suggestion.

I'm still trying to crash the 10MileMap by continuing to add as many things \ objests as possible, but haven't reached the point of a crash.

So, I would suggest that you continue to double the size of the sheets as an experiment, and note when the game crashes.

Then you will know the answer to your own question.

davinci

7 years 4 weeks ago #13 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• So, I would suggest that you continue to double the size of the sheets as an experiment, and note when the game crashes.

Then you will know the answer to your own question.

davinci

Hey D

You misunderstood the question. The texture packer only allows up to 8K sized sheets, so I can't design sheets any larger than that. The question I'm asking is in reference to a VGA card's specs and how you can determine from those specs what sized texture sheets they can handle. This is so folks will know what VGA card to buy to reach the minimum requirement of reading 8K texture sheets.

7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #14 by Davinci

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member

• You misunderstood the question. The texture packer only allows up to 8K sized sheets, so I can't design sheets any larger than that. The question I'm asking is in reference to a VGA card's specs and how you can determine from those specs what sized texture sheets they can handle.

My Bad!

Somehow I thought that you were asking how large would the game handle, which I would figure would be somewhere around 8192x8192..... but that's guessing.

I tried a Google-Search - probably the same thing that you did but couldn't find a very good answer to your question.

It has a lot to do with the amount of 'Ram' and something about 'VRam' from the on-line acticles. Both of which I have very little knowledge of.

Reb - I would guess that any card that cost around a hundred dollars which is yesterdays two-hundred dollar cards would work with what you are doing.

davinci

Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Davinci.

7 years 4 weeks ago #15 by 2ndAcr

• Thank you received: 11

• Mine says 8192 but have toyed with grabbing a more powerful graphics card.

7 years 4 weeks ago #16 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Question: How can one determine the maximum texture sheet size a specific graphics/video/VGA card can handle by viewing it's advertised specs?

Since we're getting no answers here I'm assuming texture sheet capacity is determined by the amount of RAM included with the VGA card. So, more questions:

1) Will a graphics card with 512 Mb RAM handle the 8K texture sheet size?

2) Does anyone with a 1 Gb of RAM card have less than 16K (16384) texture sheet capacity? If so, what's the capacity?

3) Would anyone with a 2 Gb of RAM card, or more, please provide the texture sheet capacity or your card along with the RAM amount?

7 years 4 weeks ago #17 by FlaGuitars

• Thank you received: 4

• File = Ansi:16, TexH:16384, TexW:16384
    Graphic card = Nvida GTX 650 2GB - price $120

7 years 4 weeks ago #18 by Stellar Duck

• GB
  • GB

• I have a creaking old GTX 470 card with 1 Gb that does the 16k for me. I don't really know the price though as I'm pretty sure they're not on the market these days.

7 years 4 weeks ago #19 by chijohnaok

• Thank you received: 4

• Ansi:16, TexH:16384, TexW:16384
    Graphic card = GeForce GT 640

7 years 2 weeks ago #20 by Gregorovitch55

• Thank you received: 1

• AMD HD 7850 2GB card

I would say current standards used by recent games are:

Min spec: 512MB VRAM
    Rec spec: 1GB VRAM
    Max settings: 2GB VRAM

So anything less that 512GB is now obsolete. I bought my 2GB card for £165 18 months ago. I would say setting 512MB card as minimum spec is entirely reasonable.

7 years 1 week ago #21 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• As all can see, this poll has encouraged me to push forward with 8K upgrades and releases.

Thanks for all the responses, and please continue. I'm sure folks looking to upgrade will find information gathered here very useful. I'm looking to post a 'recommended graphics card' on the first post. It would qualify by being the least expensive VGA that can handle 8K texture sheet sizes, and, has proven to be reliable, quality, etc.

Looking for some recommendations...starting now, thanks in advance.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Saddletank

Moderators: ShirkonChamberlainFlanyboy