'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

4 months 3 weeks ago #241 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Design, Mods, NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 2131

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • Coming today, “If God is willing and the Creek don't rise.”

Been pushing it to get it out this day, the 158th Anniversary, July 3, 1863, of this famous (for the North) and infamous (for the South) battle. Got this infamous result late last night for my first run. Ironically, it reflected the historical numbers pretty much. Hopefully I'll do better for the South my next run this afternoon, no time for a third run if I keep with this release date, which I consider a must.

Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
    Attachments:
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Chamberlain, Jolly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #242 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB3-01btn_July3-The Pettigrew, Pickett, Trimble Attack (C-Corps)

Length of Play: 1 Hour

Command: Lieutenant General James Longstreet, 1st Corps Commander
    Date: July 3, 1863

Situation: Our artillery barrage that pounded the enemy's center for an hour is over. Our officers are convinced that center is weakened and are riding about preaching encouraging words of confidence. Regardless, we still see the long blue line, and know we are in for a brutal fight once we eventually move forward across open ground and get close enough to test their mettle

Mission: Capture the two objectives and silence the enemy guns, then defend the objectives as a Union counteroffensive is imminent.

Objectives: For the first 50 minutes the two objectives award no points. The last 10 minutes the objectives award 900 points per minute (150 points per each 10 second interval), for a total of 9000 points.

Forces Involved:
    CSA - 14,977 Troops, 102 Guns
    USA - 23,128 Troops, 148 Guns
    _________________________________________________________________________________

This scenario is historically based but involves some 'What If' situations. First, the CSA units are positioned close together to better focus in on the closest objective. Second, the artillery made available can be moved forward to support the attack at close range.

Due to the size of this scenario, a heads-up to avoid 'AI Freeze Up' (troops stop fighting), keep most of your officers TC'd throughout. For the initial movements select the brigade commander (I recommend movements by brigade), then select 'Atcommoff', double click destination, select formation, then 'tcofficers'. Don't worry about officers overlapping enemy units because all officers are scripted as 'immortal' in this scenario series. Over the years I've found that the game plays much better with immortal officers plus it improves the enemy AI competition wise.

One second left, never got my defensive line set along the wall, so never had a chance to go after the Cemetery Hill objective.

Well, improved upon that ugly Major Defeat. However, a Defeat is a Defeat, I need some more runs to figure this Grog out, but no time because I've gotta post today, the 158th Anniversary, July 3, 1863, of this battle.

Next morning, getting there...

And, after another defeat and draw, finally, by the third morning at 2:00 AM, managed at least a Victory

After having my doubts on whether a Major Victory was possible, following some more 'less than impressive' Victorys, managed to break the 9000 mark with this run, five days into this MV quest...

Finally, after six days, the path to a MV was found, or I got lucky...probably mostly the latter.
    Regardless, it can be won, and that was the goal of this quest. 
    One second left, the fight for Cemetery Hill continues in the background as the Union Center is about to be overwhelmed by Union reinforcements from the south...Saved by End Game!

Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by RebBugler.

4 months 2 weeks ago #243 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• Mission accomplished, see last post .

Next up, the Union response.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jolly

4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #244 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB3-02btn_July3-The Pettigrew, Pickett, Trimble Attack (U-Corps)

Command: Major General Winfield S Hancock, commanding the Federal center

Situation: After turning back the Rebel attacks yesterday afternoon, we again face another threat to our army's center. Their artillery barrage the previous hour has stopped, but they overshot our lines and caused little damage to our defensive front. Now the enemy is preparing a much larger force to test our center once again, and our mettle to withstand their desperation to gain our ground.

Mission: Recapture the two objectives before or by the last 10 minutes of play.

Locked Units: Initially all player units are locked, otherwise this scenario would prove totally non-competitive due to the overwhelming Union strength in numbers. Once engaged, infantry units will unlock and artillery batteries will unlock when enemy infantry comes within 150 yards of them. As the battle progresses reinforcements will unlock by division after they form their battle lines and eventually move forward to the objectives.

Objectives: For the first 50 minutes the two objectives award no points. The last 10 minutes the objectives award 900 points per minute (150 points per each 10 second interval), for a total of 9000 points.

Forces Involved:
    USA - 23,128 Troops, 148 Guns
    CSA - 14,977 Troops, 102 Guns
    _________________________________________________________________________________

This scenario is historically based but involves some 'What If' situations. First, the CSA units will attack more en mass at the two objectives giving them a competitive edge. Second, the CSA artillery made available (much less than the historic numbers) is moved forward to support the Rebel attack at close range (approximately 500 yards out), simulating the historic artillery barrage that can't be reenacted due to artillery range limitations, and to give the CSA a little more competitive edge.

Due to the size of this scenario, a heads-up to avoid 'AI Freeze Up' (troops stop fighting), keep most of your officers TC'd throughout. For the initial movements select the brigade commander (I recommend movements by brigade), then select 'Atcommoff', double click destination, select formation, then 'tcofficers'. Don't worry about officers overlapping enemy units because all officers are scripted as 'immortal' in this scenario series. Over the years I've found that the game plays much better with immortal officers plus it improves the enemy AI competition-wise.

Once division (reinforcements) commanders move their troops forward they will be locked again and moved to safety. The player must then move their troops via brigades, the preferred method anyway, so not really a liability. Rice's brigade, formerly Vincent's brigade of 'Little Round Top' fame, will be unlocked with the last wave of reinforcements.

The Angle breaks...SR1 play at its best, showing the real numbers of what this battle may have looked like.

One second left...objectives have been secured the full 10 minutes of awarding points. I fell short of securing them in time with my previous attempt and thus missed the MV bar.

Not an easy win, I had to work for it. And, no bull-rush attackmarch commands were necessary, just pressure, pressure, and more pressure, in order to break the Rebel defensive stand around the objectives.

Attachments:
    Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by RebBugler.

4 months 2 weeks ago #245 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• Damage Control...
    Please download the latest release again.  I had to fix the gfx file so Hancock's portrait displayed Hancock correctly.  I've already fixed the most recent post above to show Hancock's true identity. Guess no one noticed...Yet.

4 months 2 weeks ago #246 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• Damage Control again...

Please download the last release again.  When I changed the US portraits to fix Hancock, I also changed the CS portraits thinking the same issue applied to them, well it didn't, messing up the upper level CS portraits.  In my defense, the SR1 portraits have been a challenge to undertake, especially when it came to wing commanders, as Hancock was.  I think I've got them right now, please let me know if anyone sees wrong portraits...I'm getting good at damage control, lots of practice.

RB

4 months 20 hours ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #247 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB3-03btn_July3-JEB's Mission Possible, and Practicable (C-Div)

Carryover from: GB3-01btn_July3-The Pettigrew, Pickett, Trimble Attack (C-Corps)
    Carryover to: GB3-04btn_July3-Fight for Cemetery Hill, Day 3, 4 PM (C-Corps)

Length of Play: 75 Minutes

Command: Major General James EB Stuart, Army of Northern Virginia Cavalry Division Commander

Ahistorical Situation (What If): What if Stuart's Division feints an extended engagement at East Cavalry Field in order to distract the enemy cavalry and then, after several brief engagements, General JEB Stuart moves his division, aided by two infantry brigades, to the vulnerable Federal rear.

Situation: We finally got some rest last night after a weeks long trek of constant riding and evading enemy troops while scooping up Yankee supply trains and other supplies necessary for our army. Now we confront the Army of the Potomac's cavalry, on their ground. As we invade their ground, we know they will attack soon, that's what Yankee cavalry does. Our only orders are, once we defeat them, and we're confident we will, that we don't pursue them. For we have a more important mission this day, the Union rear, but we must turn back this Yankee cavalry attack first.

Mission: Capture the first objective (Randol's Battery) and silence the enemy guns, then proceed to the 'Waypoint to Staging Areas' objective. Once activated, the two 'Staging Area' objectives will appear. Use the infantry brigades, guarding the 'Western Route' objective (no points awarded, indicator objective only), to help clear the roads for the cavalry that must be constantly moving to the staging area objectives.

Objectives: The first objective (Randol's Battery) awards 500 points. The 'Pennington's Battery' minor objective awards 100 points. For the first 65 minutes the two Staging Area objectives award no points. The last 10 minutes (3:50 PM) these two objectives award 900 points per minute (150 points per each 10 second interval), for a total of 9000 points. The 'Staging Area South' objective requires 500 troops to activate.

Forces Involved:
    CSA - 8,840 Troops, 39 Guns
    USA - 6,039 Troops, 10 Guns

This scenario is historically based but involves many 'What If' situations. First, the CSA units are positioned so as to have brief encounters with Union cavalry and then proceed to staging areas behind Federal positions along Cemetery Ridge. Second, the artillery made available includes two more batteries that were unavailable during the historic fight at East Cavalry Field. Third, Colonel Gregg's cavalry brigade is positioned to block the western staging area route whereas historically it was sent closer to Culp's hill after the Brinkerhoff Ridge fight the day before. Fourth, two infantry brigades are added to help the CSA cavalry reach and clear the staging areas, otherwise this scenario would be an impossible mission, as proven by the historical result.

Historical accuracies include the number of cavalry troops involved in the East Cavalry Field fight, the positions of the Federal cavalry there, and the position of Neill's brigade of Sedgwick's corps, guarding the north staging area.

Due to the size of this scenario (thousands of troops are hidden for carryover purposes), a heads-up to avoid 'AI Freeze Up' (troops stop fighting), keep most of your officers TC'd throughout. For the initial movements select the brigade commander (I recommend movements by brigade), then select 'Atcommoff', double click destination, select formation, then 'tcofficers'. Don't worry about officers overlapping enemy units because all officers are scripted as 'immortal' in this scenario series. Over the years I've found that the game plays much better with immortal officers plus it improves the enemy AI competition wise.

The fighting parts of this scenario are not too tough, however, getting your troops to the staging area within the time limits is quite a challenge. After getting this scenario set and then tweaking positions to make it not impossible, it still took me five more days of runs before I proved it possible to win, finally with two back to back Major Victories...this was the final, and most successful, MV.

Edit:
    The above attachment was for the original one hour version, the following two attachments are for the revised 75 minutes version. Either version can be used for carryover purposes. However, the original version will no longer be available with the next update.

This new version took me two runs to get a decent result. The extra 15 minutes were necessary to adapt to the next carryover scenario which added enemy artillery close to the north staging area objective, as per historic Union positions.

One second left, got almost all my troops to the staging area, the added 15 minutes helps make this scenario a lot more possible for that purpose.

Cost me more troops, but that was inevitable because the Union guns had to be silenced to make the staging area secure, at least for the time being; for Custer is hot on your heels, you haven't seen the last of him and the rest of the Federal cavalry you engaged with briefly at East Cavalry Field.

At least one more scenario planned, depends on how well SR1 play holds up as more troops must be added to extend the fight for Cemetery Hill, GB Day 3, the ‘Grand What If’ challenge by the CSA.

Attachments:
    Last edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by RebBugler.

3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #248 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• Scenario GB3-03btn will be revised with the next update coming real soon.  Along with this revision, scenario GB3-04btn will be released.  The above (last) post has been edited to explain how and why the revision was necessary, most notably, the addition of 15 minutes.  It also includes two attachments added to the scenario INFO discussion.  The ending 'Edit' section should clarify this message.

Last edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by RebBugler.

3 months 3 weeks ago #249 by Jolly

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 776

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Thanks once again for all the hard work Reb. :)

David(jolly)
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

3 months 3 weeks ago #250 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB3-04btn_July3-Fight for Cemetery Hill, Day 3, 4 PM (C-Corps)

Carryover from: GB3-03btn_July3-JEB's Mission Possible, and Practicable (C-Div)
    Carryover to: GB3-05btn_July3-Fight for Cemetery Hill,Day 3, 5 PM (C-Corps)

Ahistorical Situation (What If): What if the Pettigrew, Pickett, Trimble Attack was more concentrated toward the northern part of the Federal position on Cemetery Ridge and was able to break through and gain Cemetery Hill. Also, the Confederate cavalry was able to evade the Federal cavalry at East Cavalry Field after brief engagements and was able to move to the rear of the Federal positions along Cemetery Ridge.

Situation: Despite suffering terrible losses, so far our attack on Cemetery Ridge has been successful. After breaking through the Federal line we were able to attack Cemetery Hill from the south and managed to silence the guns and defeat hundreds of enemy troops fortifying the western slope. Once we finish clearing this hill completely we must move up our own guns and reinforcements without delay. Otherwise, our gains will be short-lived, for Union troops are forming up to our east and south, and we have little doubt that their intent will be to regain this commanding ground.

Mission:
    Infantry and guns: hold Cemetery Hill
    Cavalry: disrupt and delay enemy reinforcements, and, take out as many guns as possible

Objectives: For the first 50 minutes the two Cemetery Hill objectives award 12 points per minute(2 points per each 10 second interval). The last 10 minutes these two objectives award 840 points per minute (140 points per each 10 second interval), for a total of 9000 points. The two Battery Brigade objectives award 100 points each, plus hundreds of points available from capturing guns near these objectives.

Forces Involved:
    CSA - 26,819 Troops, 172 Guns (before carryovers)
    USA - 39,545 Troops, 232 Guns (before carryovers)

Although ahistorical, this scenario is historically based in regard to the first Federal reinforcements that would have arrived had the Rebels not been stopped as they were historically. Already in route were two brigades from Sedgwick's corps. Torbert's brigade was moving from their position near the Big Round Top and Shaler's brigade from Culp's Hill.

Due to the size of this scenario, a heads-up to avoid 'AI Freeze Up' (troops stop fighting), keep most of your officers TC'd throughout. For the initial movements select the brigade commander (I recommend movements by brigade), then select 'Atcommoff', double click destination, select formation, then 'tcofficers'. Don't worry about officers overlapping enemy units because all officers are scripted as 'immortal' in this scenario series. Over the years I've found that the game plays much better with immortal officers plus it improves the enemy AI competition wise.

One second left, lost both Cemetery Hill objectives for a while. Fortunately, with the arrival of Rodes' division they were taken back eventually and I was able to earn another hour of fighting.

Surprised myself! What was supposed to be my first test run turned out to be my 'one and done' run, and, as pictured below, my 'won and done' run. Didn't hurt that I kicked butt at the two battery brigade objectives, I don't think a single gun escaped my cavalry onslaught. However, Phillip's cavalry regiment suffered dearly taking out the southern objective's guns, and thus wasn't able to get the 100 points that objective awarded.

So far so good, we get another scenario despite the large number of troops and guns depicted--coming next, the 5 PM version. Just heed the "keep your officers TC'd" warning. Makes for a whole lot of micromanagement necessary, the price we must pay for multi-corps level SR1 play.

Attachments:

3 months 2 weeks ago #251 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• ‘What If’ Heyday time for CSA scenario fans, Yanks had your Heyday historically

Please bear with me Union scenario fans.  Up to this most recent set of CSA 'What If' scenarios I've pretty much alternated between Union and Confederate scenarios and strived to make them equally competitive, with the exception of a few when I was stressing a 'What If' situation which would have favored the Confederate side, of which should be obvious, since I'm not identified as the YankBugler.  Still, aside from my southern birth and heritage, I now consider myself bipartisan, and that we're better off having one united, United States of America, with equal opportunities for all.

Having hopefully clarified, there are still more CSA scenarios to come before any more Union scenarios will be offered, and, some more are planned, at least in my head.  If the game engine holds up with this performance-taxing SR1 play, at least three more CSA carryover scenarios are planned--Day 3, 5 PM will be released in a day or so, followed by Day 3, 6 PM and Day 3, 7 PM.  Won't even release another night scenario, my eyes are still hurting from the 'Nightfire' series.  

Furthermore, GB Day4 might continue this CSA 'What If' series.  Also, game engine willing, that scenario will be a ‘Carryover=1’ version, whereas the carryover units will be set up, and not scattered all over the place like the present ‘Carryover=3’ (carryover positions) version provides.  If you haven't noticed, with the ‘Carryover=3’ version routed troops reappear scattered all over the map, like zombies coming back to haunt the living.  They're so small they rout easily, but still mess up my scripting, moving in reinforcements and such.

Having said all this, if this website isn't fixed soon, I may get so frustrated trying to post and update my present threads, I may throw in the towel, and just watch football.

RebBugler (Randy Keen)

3 months 2 weeks ago #252 by Jolly

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank for the latest news Reb, and well said!

And it is a pity about the website problems - I really hope the site can be fixed as such, and sttays open for business! :)

David(jolly)
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Chamberlain, RebBugler

3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #253 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB3-05btn_July3-Fight for Cemetery Hill, Day 3, 5 PM (C-Corps)

Carryover from: GB3-04btn_July3-Fight for Cemetery Hill, Day 3, 4 PM (C-Corps)
    Carryover to: GB3-06btn_July3-Fight for Cemetery Hill, Day 3, 6 PM (C-Corps)

Ahistorical Situation (What If): What if the Pettigrew, Pickett, Trimble Attack was more concentrated toward the northern part of the Federal position on Cemetery Ridge and was able to break through and gain Cemetery Hill. Also, the Confederate cavalry was able to evade the Federal cavalry at East Cavalry Field after brief engagements and was able to move to the rear of the Federal positions along Cemetery Ridge.

Situation: It's five PM and despite relentless Union attacks we've held our positions around Cemetery Ridge. So far the enemy has concentrated their attacks from the south, but now we see thousands of Yankee infantry troops forming to our east. Fortunately our artillery is arriving en mass now, and their elevated positioning along this hill give us the confidence that we can still hold this ground.

Mission:
    Cavalry: disrupt and delay enemy reinforcements, and, take out as many guns as possible

Objectives: For the first 50 minutes the two Cemetery Hill objectives award 12 points per minute(2 points per each 10 second interval). The last 10 minutes these two objectives award 840 points per minute (140 points per each 10 second interval), for a total of 9000 points. The Battery Brigade objective awards 100 points, plus scores of points available from capturing guns near this objective.

Forces Involved:
    CSA - 31,847 Troops, 188 Guns (before carryovers)
    USA - 42,348 Troops, 232 Guns (before carryovers)

Although ahistorical, this scenario is historically based in regard to the initial Federal reinforcements that would have been deployed had the Rebels not been stopped as they were historically. Already in route were two brigades from Sedgwick's corps. General Torbert's brigade was moving from their position near the Big Round Top and General Shaler's brigade from Culp's Hill. Following these brigades would have been the brigades of General Bartlett and General Russell moving from the round tops, also from Sedgwick's corps.

One second left, managed to hold the Cemetery Hill objectives throughout. However, eliminating the guns around the Battery Brigade objective literally wiped out Colonel Chambliss' cavalry brigade.

My main goal, besides a win, was to destroy Berdan's sharpshooter regiments as they entered the field--Mission accomplished! They stayed in the woods until 5 PM but once they moved out I attacked en mass with my cavalry. Don't forget this tip, since cavalry can't charge in the woods, and those regiments will chew your troops up from afar if you don't nullify them.

Took me three runs for this win, went with this result because I managed the best 'remaining strength' total. That's my bottom line for surviving this 'troop depleting' 'marathon of carnage' carryover scenario series.

Again, so far so good, we get another scenario despite the large number of troops and guns depicted--coming next, the 6 PM version. Just heed the "keep your officers TC'd" warning. Makes for a whole lot of micromanagement necessary, the price we must pay for multi-corps level SR1 play.

If you missed my message on possible coming events and other info regarding this series, you're invited to read Post #251

Attachments:
    Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by RebBugler.

3 months 6 days ago - 3 months 6 days ago #254 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB3-06btn_July3-Fight for Cemetery Hill, Day 3, 6 PM (C-Corps)

Carryover from: GB3-05btn_July3-Fight for Cemetery Hill, Day 3, 5 PM (C-Corps)
    Carryover to: GB3-07btn_July3-Fight for Cemetery Hill, Day 3, 7 PM (C-Corps)

Situation: It's 6 o'clock in the afternoon and once again we've held our positions around Cemetery Hill after numerous attacks. The enemy has previously concentrated most of their attacks from the south, but now they're forming assault lines on both our southern and eastern flanks. Fortunately our artillery is positioned well along this hill and gives us the confidence we need to support them and hold this ground.

Mission:

Objectives: For the first 50 minutes the two Cemetery Hill objectives award 12 points per minute(2 points per each 10 second interval). The last 10 minutes these two objectives award 840 points per minute (140 points per each 10 second interval), for a total of 9000 points.

Locked Units: (Johnson's Division) Once engaged, infantry units will unlock by regiment

Forces Involved:
    CSA - 35,589 Troops, 204 Guns (before carryovers)
    USA - 44,144 Troops, 232 Guns (before carryovers)

Although ahistorical, this scenario is historically based in regard to the initial Federal reinforcements that would have been deployed had the Rebels not been stopped as they were historically. Following four brigades from Sedgwick's corps would have been reinforcements from General Slocum's corps, positioned on and around Culp's Hill.

Due to the size of this scenario, a heads-up to avoid 'AI Freeze Up' (troops stop fighting), keep most of your officers TC'd throughout. This scenario is on the brink of 'AI Freeze Up'. It had to be re-scripted, to avoid such, so all the action has been spread out, and not concentrated which unfortunately makes it less competitive. Also, the 'CarryOverDead=1' option is now turned off in the Scenario.ini file, this definitely improved stability. Furthermore, Johnson’s division was added but then deemed unnecessary, so is locked for performance purposes.

One second left, for the first time all enemy attackers have been cleared well away from both my objectives.

Although competitive at times, the piecemeal Union attacks I had to resort to, to prevent 'AI Freeze Up', spelled ultimate disaster for this Union offensive. Still, it was quite entertaining!

Just in case another scenario can't be added to this carryover series due to 'AI Freeze Up', here are my final troop numbers:

Barely again, getting real shaky, hopefully coming next, the 7 PM version.

If you missed my message on possible coming events and other info regarding this series, you're invited to read Post #251

Attachments:
    Last edit: 3 months 6 days ago by RebBugler.

3 months 1 day ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #255 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB3-07btn_July3-Fight for Cemetery Hill, Day 3, 7 PM (C-Corps)

Carryover from: GB3-06btn_July3-Fight for Cemetery Hill, Day 3, 6 PM (C-Corps)

Ahistorical Situation (What If): What if the Pettigrew, Pickett, Trimble Attack was more concentrated toward the northern part of the Federal position on Cemetery Ridge and the Rebels were able to break through and gain Cemetery Hill. Also, the Confederate cavalry was able to evade the Federal cavalry at East Cavalry Field after brief engagements and was able to move to the rear of the Federal positions along Cemetery Ridge.

Situation: It's 7 o'clock in the evening and the Yanks aren't through yet. We see new enemy troops forming to our east and we've been alerted that more reinforcements are moving up from the south, along with artillery. But we've held this ground for three hours against numerous attacks and our confidence is as high as ever because it's grown with each win. With nightfall approaching we feel that this will be our last, and biggest win of this third day, of this great battle--Gettysburg.

Mission:

Objectives: For the first 50 minutes the two Cemetery Hill objectives award 12 points per minute(2 points per each 10 second interval). The last 10 minutes these two objectives award 840 points per minute (140 points per each 10 second interval), for a total of 9000 points.

Locked Units: (Johnson's Division) Once engaged, infantry units will unlock by regiment. Johnson's division can be fully unlocked at 7:30 in exchange for a score deduction of 1000 points. This option will be explained via a pop-up message at that time.

Forces Involved:
    CSA - 35,589 Troops, 204 Guns (before carryovers)
    USA - 50,811 Troops, 259 Guns (before carryovers)

Although ahistorical, this scenario is historically based in regard to the initial Federal reinforcements that would have been deployed had the Rebels not been stopped as they were historically. Following four brigades from General Sedgwick's corps would have been reinforcements from General Slocum's corps, positioned on and around Culp's Hill. After that, this scenario finishes up by sending in all remaining brigades from Sedgwick's and Slocum's corps along with the III Corps artillery brigade. Included with the attacks from Culp's Hill is General Wadsworth's depleted, but still a '1,693 men strong' division, which includes the highly regarded 'Iron Brigade'. And finally, Gregg's cavalry brigade joins the fray from the southeast.

Due to the size of this scenario, a heads-up to avoid 'AI Freeze Up' (troops stop fighting), keep most of your officers TC'd throughout. This scenario avoids 'AI Freeze Up' by only scripting attacks for the newly arrived ten Union brigades. All previous attacking regimental officers are ‘TC On’ and are scripted to ‘TC Off’ upon engagement, so, they will at least fend for themselves, but are not summoned to the battlefield because of performance concerns.

One second left, the last of the brave attackers are melting away, the Rebels now own this ground, this plausible third day of the battle of Gettysburg.

Entertaining! After a slow start the action gets going, it then remains 'full tilt' till this victory's end.

Final troop numbers for this six scenario carryover series, Gettysburg day 3:

Shaky at times performance-wise, but this '3rd day GB carryover series' made it to its envisioned end: a six hour 'Rebel Heyday' series, 'comes to fruition'; guaranteed to keep folks busy, and hopefully, immersively entertained.

Attachments:
    Last edit: 2 months 4 weeks ago by RebBugler.

2 months 1 week ago #256 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• True Ground SR1 II

Consider this mod as an extention to the 'True Ground SR1' mod, its primary purpose is to add additional scenarios to this SR1 scenario series, thus keeping these scenario mods under 5MB, complying with attachment and download size limitations. The 'True Ground SR1' mod must be enabled in Modifications for this mod to function correctly.

This is also a companion mod with the 'True Ground Maps - Gettysburg - The Big Picture' mod. The three mods must be enabled together for this mod to function as designed. 'True Ground SR1 II' must be prioritized below the 'True Ground Maps' mod in Modifications and also below the 'True Ground SR1' mod.

Priority Order in Modifications:
    True Ground Maps
    True Ground SR1
    True Ground SR1 II

Unless otherwise announced, all future SR1 scenario updates will be through 'True Ground SR1 II'.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chamberlain

2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 2 days ago #257 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• Update version 9.0

Addition of the mod 'True Ground SR1 II' INFO

Including:

Scenarios (continuation of the CSA GB Day3 SR1 carryover series)...
    - GB4-01btn_July4-GB Day4, Southwestern Battle (C-Corps) INFO
    - GB4-02btn_July4-GB Day4, Southeastern Battle (C-Corps) INFO
    - GB4-03btn_July4-GB Day4, The Finale (C-Army) INFO
    - GB4-04btn_July4-Gettysburg Day Four, coup de grâce (C-Army) INFO

Sandbox...
    - OOB_SB_SR1_Btn_GB_Day3

Last edit: 2 months 2 days ago by RebBugler.

2 months 1 week ago #258 by Jolly

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• I've got a tad confused on things lately Reb, which may explain the errors I'm getting.
    Some scenarios crash, while some others load ok.

For instance, loading GB1-08btn gives me this error -

Hopefully a minor issue! ;)

David(jolly)
    Attachments:

2 months 1 week ago #259 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• Check that you have the latest update here:
    True Ground Maps - Gettysburg - The Big Picture
    Update version 3.8 (August 8, 2021)

Also, any issues showing in the log file?

Good hearing from you, I'm sure we'll work it out.

2 months 6 days ago #260 by Jolly

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thanks Reb - that was indeed the problem!
    I'd originally downloaded the zip file, but had forgotten to unzip and drop into the Mod's folder!

I'd been busy building up a new computer system and other things (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!). :)

Thanks again - I've a lot of catching up to do on all the latest scenarios you've done! ;)
    David(jolly)

The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

2 months 6 days ago - 2 months 6 days ago #261 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB4-01btn_July4-GB Day4, Southwestern Battle (C-Corps)

Carryover from: GB3-07btn_July3-Fight for Cemetery Hill, Day 3, 7 PM (C-Corps)
    Carryover to: GB4-02btn_July4-GB Day4, Southeastern Battle (C-Corps)

Date: July 4, 1863

Ahistorical Situation (What If): What if the Pettigrew, Pickett, Trimble Attack was successful and the Rebels were able to break through and gain Cemetery Hill, then were able to defend it against numerous Federal attacks. Thus, continuing the Battle of Gettysburg for a fourth day.

Situation: Morale is high. We've beat back the best the Federals had to give, and held our captured ground, Cemetery Hill. We've also gained Culp's Hill. It had to be abandoned by the Yankees because our Cemetery Hill position cuts off its supply lines, and also severs it from the rest of the Union Army. But now the Yanks have formed new battle lines, and word has it that we'll be on the offensive end now. Well, we came to win, and that's how it's done, offensively.

Mission:
    Eliminate the cavalry threat in the southwest and take The Roundtop, as represented by the three objectives.

Objectives: The two western-most objectives award 2000 points each when held ten minutes. The Roundtop objective awards 5000 points when held ten minutes. After one minute the activating radii change from 150 yards to 300 yards and from Confederate only to ALL activation.

Locked Units: Locked units are unavailable.

Forces Involved:
    CSA - 9,974 Troops, 35 Guns (before carryovers)
    USA - 9,668 Troops, 10 Guns (before carryovers)

Consider this scenario as the day after fight at South Cavalry Field, with the opposing forces having completely different missions. Instead of attacking, the Union cavalry will defend, and instead of defending, the Rebels will be on the offensive. And, that offensive extends to the summit of The Roundtop.

Due to the size of this scenario, a heads-up to avoid 'AI Freeze Up' (troops stop fighting), keep most of your officers TC'd throughout.

One second left, and The Roundtop is basically secured. Gotta admit, the Bull-Rush command got called upon.

Competitive, you're dealing with Sharps Repeaters! Taking the Merritt objective can be tricky, make sure you commit enough troops.

Well, now the "six hour 'Rebel Heyday' series" has obsessively grown into a fifteen hour "Third and Fourth Day at Gettysburg Finale, and coup de grâce".

Attachments:
    Last edit: 2 months 6 days ago by RebBugler.

2 months 4 days ago #262 by Jolly

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Hi Reb. I'm still a tad befuddled as to what the latest download is.
    Maybe it's me but I can't make head or tail out of it all! :)

I probably need some sleep! ;)

David(jolly)
    Attachments:

2 months 4 days ago #263 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• Jolly
    Click the link, I'm guessing you missed it. If that doesn't explain things, I'll try again in free hand.

True Ground SR1 II INFO

2 months 3 days ago - 2 months 3 days ago #264 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB4-02btn_July4-GB Day4, Southeastern Battle (C-Corps)

Carryover from: GB4-01btn_July4-GB Day4, Southwestern Battle (C-Corps)
    Carryover to: GB4-03btn_July4-GB Day4, The Finale (C-Army)

Length of Play: 2 Hours

Command: Lieutenant General Richard S. Ewell, 2nd Corps Commander

Ahistorical Situation (What If): What if the Pettigrew, Pickett, Trimble Attack was successful and the Rebels were able to break through and gain Cemetery Hill, then were able to defend it against numerous Federal attacks. Therefore, continuing the Battle of Gettysburg for a fourth day.

Situation: Following General Lee's orders, General Longstreet begins his offensive in the southwest as General Ewell's corps moves southeast. Ewell will begin his offensive once the eastern-most flank of the enemy's defensive position can be established and alined upon. General Ewell is determined to roll up the eastern Federal line as General 'Stonewall' Jackson manuevered and achieved famously at Chancellorsville.

Mission:
    Attack and eliminate the eastern battle front, as represented by the three objectives.

Objectives: Objectives award 3000 points each when held ten minutes. After one minute the activating radii change from 150 yards to 300 yards and from Confederate only to ALL activation.

Locked Units: Locked units are unavailable.

Forces Involved:
    CSA - 21,347 Troops, 102 Guns (before carryovers) Ewell's 2nd Corps, Stuart's Cavalry Division attached
    USA - 34,211 Troops, 96 Guns (before carryovers)

Roll-up the eastern flank or attack it head on, regardless, securing the three objectives should assure a victory and continuation to 'The Finale'.

Due to the size of this scenario, a heads-up to avoid 'AI Freeze Up' (troops stop fighting), keep most of your officers TC'd throughout.

One second left, had fifteen minutes to spare after securing the final objective. Stopped short of attacking further...Just following orders.   For the remaining time I did bring my artillery up and pounded the ridge, mainly targeting enemy guns.

Once the attack began it was constant action time! Attacking never gets boring, quite the opposite in fact.

The "six hour 'Rebel Heyday' series" has obsessively grown into a fifteen hour "Third and Fourth Day at Gettysburg Finale, and coup de grâce".

Attachments:
    Last edit: 2 months 3 days ago by RebBugler.

2 months 3 days ago #265 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB4-03btn_July4-GB Day4, The Finale (C-Army)

Carryover from: GB4-02btn_July4-GB Day4, Southeastern Battle (C-Corps)

Length of Play: 2 Hours

Command: Lieutenant General Ambrose P. Hill, 3rd Corps Commander

Ahistorical Situation (What If): What if the Pettigrew, Pickett, Trimble Attack was successful and the Rebels were able to break through and gain Cemetery Hill, then were able to defend it against numerous Federal attacks. Therefore, continuing the Battle of Gettysburg for a fourth day.

Situation: The battle is going as planned: Longstreet's corps has secured the southwest and gained the south round top; Ewell's corps has rolled-up the Federal eastern flank to Cemetery Ridge. Now, General Hill's corps will move up and establish assault positions from the north. Then, the three-pronged attack will begin, and hopefully end victorious for the Confederacy.

Mission:
    Capture the final three objectives

Objectives: Objectives award 3000 points each when held ten minutes. After one minute the activating radii change from 150 yards to 300 yards and from Confederate only to ALL activation.

Forces Involved:
    CSA - 52,999 Troops, 273 Guns (before carryovers)
    USA - 67,270 Troops, 321 Guns (before carryovers)

'The Finale'
    General AP Hill gets the honor of leading the full Army of Northern Virginia in this third and final phase/carryover of the 'Gettysburg Day Four' battle.

One second left, and because I still needed two and a half minutes left to capture the objective, I decided to extend this scenario's length to two hours. No need to make this a 'beat the clock' type scenario, which involves added stress. With less stress comes better execution and immersion! Besides, it gives you more time to capture that last danged objective.

Anderson's Division remained in reserve until finally committing him to the taking of the Little Round Top...It worked well!

Final troop numbers for this nine scenario carryover series, Gettysburg days 3 and 4:

The "six hour 'Rebel Heyday' series" has obsessively grown into this fifteen hour "Third and Fourth Day at Gettysburg Finale, and coup de grâce".

Attachments:

2 months 2 days ago #266 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB4-04btn_July4-Gettysburg Day Four, coup de grâce (C-Army)

Carryover from: GB3-07btn_July3-Fight for Cemetery Hill, Day 3, 7 PM (C-Corps)

Length of Play: 4 Hours

Command: General Robert E. Lee, Commander, Army of Northern Virginia

Situation: Morale is high. We've beat back the best the Federals had to give, and held our captured ground, Cemetery Hill. We've also gained Culp's Hill. It had to be abandoned by the Yankees because our Cemetery Hill position cuts off its supply lines, and also severs it from the rest of the Union Army. But now the Yanks have formed new battle lines, and word has it that we'll be on the offensive end soon. Well, we came to win, and that's how it's done, offensively.

Mission:
    Eliminate the cavalry threat in the southwest, clear the eastern battle front, then concentrate on Cemetery Ridge and the round tops, not necessarily in that order

Objectives: Objectives award 500 points each when held ten minutes. After one minute the activating radii change from 150 yards to 300 yards and from Confederate only to ALL activation.

Forces Involved:
    CSA - 52,999 Troops, 273 Guns (before carryovers)
    USA - 67,270 Troops, 321 Guns (before carryovers)

'The Grand Finale'
    General Robert E. Lee leads the Army of Northern Virginia in this full final battle of 'Gettysburg Day Four'. Generals Longstreet, Ewell, and Hill are at his side ready for recon or morale duties.

After three hours and thirty-two minutes all engagements have ceased and all of this epic battle's ground has been won -- End Game opted...Befitting of a "coup de grâce".

Although a 'Rebel What If Fantasy', immersion at its best! I didn't even mind that it wasn't as competitive as I had envisioned.

Final troop numbers for this seven scenario carryover series, Gettysburg days 3 and 4:

The "six hour 'Rebel Heyday' series" grew obsessively into this fifteen hour "Third and Fourth Day at Gettysburg Finale, and coup de grâce".

Attachments:

2 months 2 days ago #267 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• Update version 9.1

- Added General Lee to the commanding officer role in scenario GB4_04btn. Also included Generals Longstreet, Ewell, and Hill in that scenario's OOB for mainly eye-candy and realism, but they can also be used for scouting or boosting morale purposes.

- Misc text changes and fixes in all the GB4 scenarios, quite a few...So please update soon, and do away with my goofs

- Changed Corps to Army in the names of scenarios GB4 03 and 04

1 month 3 weeks ago #268 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB3-08btn_July3-Avenging Fredericksburg (U-Corps)

Carryover from: GB3-02btn_July3-The Pettigrew, Pickett, Trimble Attack (U-Corps)

Length of Play: 90 Minutes

Command: Major General Winfield S Hancock, commanding the Federal center

Situation: The Rebs are retreating but our victory is not complete. As they attacked and were felled in great numbers our battle cry became "Give them Fredericksburg". Now, with new orders to attack, it's time to further avenge that catastrophic battle.

Mission: Pursue the retreating Rebels and break their defensive stand, as represented by the five objectives.

Objectives: Objectives award 1800 points each when held five minutes, for a total of 9000 points. After one minute the activating radii change from 150 yards to 300 yards and from Union only to ALL activation.

Forces Involved:
    USA - 23,128 Troops, 148 Guns (before carryover)
    CSA - 20,768 Troops, 102 Guns (before carryover)

This scenario begins the Union GB Day Three 'What If' carryover series. What if, after annihilating the Rebel divisions that attacked the Union center, General Meade decided to go on the offensive and counterattack.

Not only will you face the survivors of the attack, they will be reinforced by five brigades, three from Anderson's division and two from Trimble's division. Also, the Rebel artillery aligned along Seminary Ridge.

One second left, besides the objectives, got most of my points taking out guns, of which, there are many.

Not an easy win, took me three attempts. In addition to getting your strategy right, you've gotta watch out that the Rebels don't get your objective points. Once you activate an objective after one minute, then the objective is fair game for both sides, and four minutes goes fast if the enemy activates it.

Next up, a South Cavalry Field 'What If'...The Union offensive continues.

Attachments:
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Chamberlain, Jolly, Chichetr

1 month 2 weeks ago #269 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB3-09btn_July3-South Cavalry Field Offensive (U-Corps)

Carryover from: GB3-08btn_July3-Avenging Fredericksburg (U-Corps)

Length of Play: 90 Minutes

Command: Major General George Sykes, commanding the Federal Left

Situation: The Rebel attack to our Army's center has been stopped and driven back. Now, with our cavalry moving up from the south and flanking the enemy's right flank, we have been ordered into assault lines. As we await further orders, there's no doubt that we will soon be testing the Rebel positions to our west.

Mission: Attack and take back previously held ground, as represented by the six objectives.

Objectives: Objectives award 1500 points each when held five minutes, for a total of 9000 points. After one minute the activating radii change from 150 yards to 300 yards and from Union only to ALL activation.

Forces Involved:
    USA - 21,904 Troops, 78 Guns (before carryover)
    CSA - 10,617 Troops, 63 Guns (before carryover)

This scenario continues General Meade's 'What If' offensive. Troop strength numbers and positions are historically depicted, the Union having over double the number of troops available for this battle. Consider this fight as "the one that got away" from the Union Army's strategic potential. For, following a victory by this possible scenario, they could have rolled up the Rebel Army's right flank to the Lutheran Seminary, throwing General Lee's Army into complete disarray.

One second left...The last actions ended fifteen minutes ago so had time to form up Farnsworth and Merritt's cavalry brigades on South Cavalry Field for a photo-op.

Could have locked some Union brigades to make this scenario more competitive but decided to leave that decision up to the player. So...Want it more competitive, use less troops. Also, since this is a carryover scenario, keeping fresh, non-depleted units available for the finale makes good sense.

Next up, an East Cavalry Field 'What If'...The Union offensive continues.

Attachments:

1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #270 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• GB3-10btn_July3-Clash at East Cavalry Field (U-Div)

Carryover from: GB3-09btn_July3-South Cavalry Field Offensive (U-Corps)

Command: Brig General David M. Gregg, Cavalry Division

Situation: As we guard our army's right flank the sounds of battle roar a couple of miles to our west. General Custer's brigade has just joined our division along with Colonel Gregg's brigade which had been detached to Culp's Hill. With this build-up in troops, we know something is coming down soon, and about to change our situation from guard duty to defending our ground.

Mission: Hold the three objectives.

Objectives: Objectives award 192 points per minute (27 points per each 10 second interval), for a total of 9639 points.

Forces Involved:
    USA - 4,273 Troops, 12 Guns
    CSA - 6,279 Troops, 23 Guns

This scenario is historically depicted, with the ahistoric addition of Colonel John Gregg's cavalry brigade. For historical play don't commit this brigade addition, but good luck in achieving any kind of victory. Historically, this fight was considered a Union victory as General Stuart's cavalry division was prevented from threatening the Union rear by a much smaller Union cavalry division.

One second left...The fight continues, but victory has been achieved...

Only the Rebel piecemeal attack made this victory possible, as was the historical attack and result.

Attachments:
    Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by RebBugler.

Moderators: ShirkonChamberlainFlanyboy