Articles
Articles View Hits

Napoleonic Wars mod

9 years 9 months ago #1 by gunship24

• NSD QA Team
  • NSD QA Team

• Thank you received: 381

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • I thought I would start this thread carrying on from the other thread about the possibility of a mod. I am currently doing work on a napoleonic mod to represent the era 1805-1815 covering the height and fall of Napoleon's empire. The SOW engine would be excellent for this and there's certainly enough to get a nappy mod out there to be enjoyed using the excellent game norb and co have created. It would be difficult to emulate the entire fighting doctirne of the era, especially cavalry but theres enough to get going with.

I have done some work in the past in the other game, mostly sprite rendering, and am currently playing around with the csv files. I am confident on modding infantry and artillery behaviour however cavalry will need some thinking. To start with I am just concentrating on dismountable types which the engine allows and purely mounted cavalry will require some thought.

The sprites I can render are from the Lordz napoleonic mod for rome total war.

While I develope the mod please feel free to discuss what you would like to see or any ideas or historic information you would like share, e.g. unit sizes, use of cavalry, new formations etc. My particular interest is the invasion of Russia in 1812 although I find the entire wars period fascinating. I am currently thinking about Napoleon's war against Austria around 1809 as an initial mod.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Jolly, Marching Thru Georgia, rclark14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #2 by Little Powell

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 1054

• Looking forward to this as I'm sure many others are too. You should post some screenshots etc. to show your progress. :)

9 years 8 months ago #3 by Marching Thru Georgia

• SOW General
  • SOW General
  • Secession Is Futile

• Thank you received: 430

• gunship24 wrote:

I am currently thinking about Napoleon's war against Austria around 1809 as an initial mod.

Indeed, Eckmuhl and Wagram are two of my favorite battles. I too would certainly look forward to such a mod. But as you pointed out, cavalry behavior would be inferior. Also, the AI would not know how or when to form squares. HistWar, even with its deficiencies, is still the best game engine for early 19th century warfare.

I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.

9 years 8 months ago #4 by gunship24

• NSD QA Team
  • NSD QA Team

• Replied by gunship24 on topic Re: Napoleonic Wars mod
    Here are two types of Austrian infantry in shako and the 1797 helmet that was still in use. They are of German nationality. the other type, Hungarian, will come later. There are two new flags carried by infantry regiments of the time, "Ordinarstandarte" the yellow one and "Leibstandarte" the white one.

The Asutrian army mostly wore white. Hungarian infantry dressed similar to thier German counterparts but wore light blue pantaloons. Grenadiers were dressed like the infantry but had fur caps and carried swords. I will be doing more over the week, including Grenadiers, Grenzers (milita), artillery, cavalry and officers.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack ONeill, Michael Slaunwhite, Meyer

9 years 8 months ago #5 by Michael Slaunwhite

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member

• Thank you received: 396

• gunship24, please keep up with this work, it's something else, the graphics are superb.

Very, very nice work.

9 years 8 months ago #6 by born2see

• NSD QA Team
  • NSD QA Team
  • Skippy Jimmy

• Thank you received: 165

• Birthdate: 21 Nov 1951
  • Replied by born2see on topic Re: Napoleonic Wars mod
    Very nice! Looking forward to this one. :laugh:

"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam

9 years 8 months ago #7 by gunship24

• NSD QA Team
  • NSD QA Team

• Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #8 by rclark14

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 12

• Replied by rclark14 on topic Re: Napoleonic Wars mod
    Bad ass- I would rather have Shiloh or Franklin though from Civil War- I enjoy all the mods- good endeavor

9 years 8 months ago #9 by Tacloban

• Thank you received: 25

• Replied by Tacloban on topic Re: Napoleonic Wars mod
    Gunship, Those look great! Press on!

9 years 8 months ago #10 by norb-1

• Banned
  • Banned
  • There is a time for everything

• Thank you received: 561

• Birthdate: 30 Nov 1968
  • Replied by norb-1 on topic Re: Napoleonic Wars mod
    Very impressive!

NSD Programmer/Producer
    "Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamaliel 40 A.D.

9 years 8 months ago #11 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 2037

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • Replied by RebBugler on topic Re: Napoleonic Wars mod
    Wow, just saw these additions, my internet's been down.

The pond just got smaller...INVASION.

Those troops are too pretty, they need to take a BloodBath. :evil:

Great Work there Sir! :)

Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
    Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...

9 years 8 months ago #12 by bedbug

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 3

• Birthdate: 22 May 1946
  • Replied by bedbug on topic Re: Napoleonic Wars mod
    Onward! Onward!

9 years 8 months ago #13 by Little Powell

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 1054

• Awesome stuff. We're all in for a treat. :)

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #14 by born2see

• NSD QA Team
  • NSD QA Team
  • Skippy Jimmy

I don't understand what all the fuss is about this Napoleon guy. I mean who names their kid after a cannon anyway? :huh:

B

"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
    Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by born2see.

9 years 8 months ago #15 by bafonetto

• Thank you received: 4

• Birthdate: 25 Jan 1955
  • Replied by bafonetto on topic Re: Napoleonic Wars mod
    A job well done. ;)
    The "old Europe" always has its charm. :whistle:

9 years 8 months ago #16 by Marching Thru Georgia

• SOW General
  • SOW General
  • Secession Is Futile

• bafonetto wrote:

The "old Europe" always has its charm.

It's the fancy dress.. :laugh:

9 years 8 months ago #17 by privatewilley

• GB - AN - PC
  • GB - AN - PC
  • Dave

• Thank you received: 29

• Birthdate: 19 Aug 1966
  • This looks great!

9 years 8 months ago #18 by duncan

• Thank you received: 2

• Replied by duncan on topic Re: Napoleonic Wars mod
    Fantastic :woohoo:

We only need less lethal firepower from infantry (easy to mod), squares (i read somewhere the formation exists in the game at least for ai) and charging cavalry (maybe the toughest task).
    In Napoleonic battles cavalry had a crucial role. The current engine is not suited for such era but if charging cavalry and squares are enabled everything is possible !

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #19 by gunship24

• NSD QA Team
  • NSD QA Team

It's the fancy dress.. :laugh:

Nothing wrong with wearing feathers on your head :). Facings (the colour of collars and cuffs) varied from regiment to regiment. I've picked a colour for each type of unit but wont be going so far as to render out the same unit for every facing colour.

As for the cavalry issue, i am first doing a dismounted type suited to the game engine. This will allow to get a version of the mod out rather than spend time pondering over how best to do this. Squares are in the game files, i havent looked at what modifiers they give, but the AI wont use them. My current train of thought is not to use squares at all (shock!) and tweak the cavalry units so charging would only give a result if the infantry were already tired or low morale. I'm just throwing stuff out there and I havent thought about it much yet.

Historical Info:
    The Austrian army was infact made up of several nations, or to put it better several recruiting grounds, including german territories, hungary, croatia, parts of poland, Bohemia, Tyrol (north of Italy). Hungarian infantry were distinctive in that they wore light blue pantaloons instead of white and had smaller boots. Below are German and Hungarian grenadiers, red and green facings. Grenadiers are elite troops of a battalion. The Austrian doctrine in war time was to detach their grenadier companies and form elite grenadier battalions.

Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by gunship24.

9 years 8 months ago #20 by gunship24

• NSD QA Team
  • NSD QA Team

An update with artillery, dragoons, grenadiers and a mounted officer.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack ONeill, kiep

9 years 8 months ago #21 by born2see

• NSD QA Team
  • NSD QA Team
  • Skippy Jimmy

Nice Very Nice! So when do I get to crush those Brit Bas---ds?

My last name is DuRant if that gives you some clue to my sympathies. ;)

B

9 years 8 months ago #22 by Marching Thru Georgia

• SOW General
  • SOW General
  • Secession Is Futile

• born2see wrote:

My last name is DuRant if that gives you some clue to my sympathies.

You better stick with the continental enemies. Wellington will just humiliate you. :laugh:

"Now Maitland, now is your time!"

9 years 8 months ago #23 by born2see

• NSD QA Team
  • NSD QA Team
  • Skippy Jimmy

Marching Thru Georgia wrote:

You better stick with the continental enemies. Wellington will just humiliate you.

"Now Maitland, now is your time!"

Yeah, I know. Much as it pains me to admit it.

Seems like , as in many great battles, there are moments which would have changed the outcome. Not being a student of Napoleon or his campaigns, what were those at Waterloo?

B

9 years 8 months ago #24 by Michael Slaunwhite

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member

• Thank you received: 396

• Hi.

What is the ETA on this excellent mod?

Cheers.

9 years 8 months ago #25 by Marching Thru Georgia

• SOW General
  • SOW General
  • Secession Is Futile

• born2see wrote:

Seems like , as in many great battles, there are moments which would have changed the outcome. Not being a student of Napoleon or his campaigns, what were those at Waterloo?

Waterloo was a 2 day affair. If Ney had been more vigorous at Quatre Bras, Welington would not have been able to make a stand at Waterloo the next day. He'd have boarded his ships and sailed home. It was a meeting engagement, but Ney was very tentative, (a la Ewell), and barely caried his objective. On the 2nd day, Napoleon's greatest weakness was his brother, Jerome, who was in command of a division of II corps. He was told to make a demonstration in front of the fortified Hougoumont, but fed his entire division into that fiasco and dragged much of II corps in with him. That was the blunder that cost Napoleon the battle. Had II corps merely bypassed Hougoumont, the British right most likely would have collapsed. If Wellington reinforced it, Napoleon would have been able to carry out his favorite tactic, flanking the enemy and delivering the coup de gras in the center. But leaving the enemy with a strong point in one's rear while pressing the attack is a mid-20th century tactic. Unfortunately for Nappy, he did not give that order, or much of any orders to his left flank and paid the price. In the end, like Pickett, "La Garde, recule!"

For those that enjoy re-fighting Gettysburg, a study of Waterloo is well worthwhile. The parallels between the two battles and even the leading generals are striking. And just as Lee needed Jackson, Napoleon needed his best general too, Davout.

9 years 8 months ago #26 by born2see

• NSD QA Team
  • NSD QA Team
  • Skippy Jimmy

Thanks MTG, for the insight. I'm always impressed by the historical knowledge I find here.

Anyway, I'm going to take your advice and read up on Napoleon. If you can recommend something I'd appeciate it. I'm always looking for any excuse to buy another book. :P

Thanks again.

B

9 years 8 months ago #27 by Jack ONeill

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Thank you received: 251

• Replied by Jack ONeill on topic Re: Napoleonic Wars mod
    All,

As an add-on to what MTG posted - Ney at Quatra-Bras was hesitant due to his (and his commanders) concern with running into what was known in the French Army as a "Spanish Battle." Typical British tactics were to garnish their front with Light Infantry skirmishers and Riflemen and having their Line Infantry behind a reverse slope out of sight. The French Skirmishers were held back by the British, thereby not allowing the French Commanders information as to where the British lines really were. All to often, the French Columns of Attack essentially blundered into the british main lines before they could deploy into battle-line and open fire themselves. The well drilled British troops would pour volley after volley into the now disorganized french troops, then charge, generally driving them back in confusion. Neys' experiences in Spain colored his advance at Quatra-Bras, keeping him from sweeping away the relative handfull of Allied Infantry stationed there and allowing the reinforcements Wellington sent to eventually stabilize the situation. The Allies fought the French to a rough standstill, then retreated to the Mont St. Jean/Waterloo position during the night and next morning.

My 3 cents...

Jack

American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
    The following user(s) said Thank You: born2see

9 years 8 months ago #28 by gunship24

• NSD QA Team
  • NSD QA Team

The Waterloo campaign is an interesting set of battles and to get the full story I suggest reading about the battles of Ligny and Quatre Bras that occured two days before Waterloo, and the battle of Wavre which was going on at the same time as Waterloo.

The battle of Ligny was occuring at the same time at Quatre Bras. While Ney was off harrassing the Dutch positions at Quatre Bras the rest of the French army was engaging the Prussians at Ligny. D'erlon's Corps was sent by Napoleon to Quatre Bras to aid Ney, but was then recalled to hit the Prussians in the flank. However before that happened it was sent by Ney back to Quatre Bras. In all this confusion the entire Corps spent the day marching between battle fields fighting at neither of them. If they had came on the flank of the Prussians they would of not of been able to retreat in such good order to Wavre and even more importantly perhaps would of not been able to turn up at Waterloo if Wellington had deployed. A serious what if. On the other hand if they had got to Quatre Bras Wellington might of been forced to retreat that day back to Brussels.

9 years 8 months ago #29 by Col D. Streamer

• Thank you received: 5

• Birthdate: 31 Mar 1952
  • There were several instances as detailed above which influenced the outcome on the final day.

Basically there were many mistakes on the French side (not always Bonaparte's fault) and Wellington who could not afford to make any mistakes, didn't make any!

Wellington was lucky but Bonaparte always said that luck was part of being a great general!

regards to all

Nick

9 years 8 months ago #30 by Marching Thru Georgia

• SOW General
  • SOW General
  • Secession Is Futile

• born2see wrote:

I'm going to take your advice and read up on Napoleon. If you can recommend something I'd appeciate it. I'm always looking for any excuse to buy another book

For the battle of Waterloo, Barbero's book, The Battle, A New History of Waterloo gives a good blow by blow account of the 2nd day's battle. Chandler's book Waterloo, The Hundred Days recounts the entire campaign and gives his usually good insights into the strategic planning of the battle.

A good compendium of the entire Napoleonic War period is Chandler's, The Campaigns of Napoleon. It's a bit dry and glosses over many details of the battles, but for a strategic overview of the various campaigns, it is unsurpassed, IMHO of course. :)

Moderators: ShirkonChamberlainFlanyboy