Napoleonic Warfare

BdColonel
Reactions:

Napoleonic Warfare

Post by BdColonel »

2 points that have to be addressed

1)The way charges work, at least in tcm2, you can only engage an enemy unit with a single one of yours. The two then have a quick battle while everyone else minds their own business.

Is there any possibility of this changing in war-3?

It just seems it removes the possibility of a successful charge with an attack column which was based on sheer weight of numbers.

Could we have it so that a charge order can be given to an entire attack column, and all the units in it charge forward, against the same point/enemy unit? I'm not suggesting that all the units actually get into combat with the single enemy unit at the same time, but they should press their front lines forward, and scare the enemy with their numbers.

2) The fact that your units automatically counter-charge when they are about to be charged is, well, not the best solution imo. Perhaps it could be set that, depending on the commanders stance, his units would either:

a) hold formation and try to get a devastating last volley in the face of the incomming enemy

-or-

b) countercharge.
Last edited by BdColonel on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
bedbug
Reactions:

Re:Napoleonic Warfare

Post by bedbug »

Hear, hear.
Good points indeed.
....and not just limited to Nappy wars.;)
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

If the team wants to see this happen, they have the ability to write up a report and get it changed. I do not involve myself in the historical behaviour on the AI. I just read the consensus and try to make it work that way. So if the team wants this change, they put a bug in Mantis (our bug tracking software) and then I work on it. So hopefully if enough of the team agrees with you, it will be something that I'll work on for this version.
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

Well i do not know about the team but it sure sounds appealing to the fans. It would be great if this could be implemented. TC2M has a command for assualt columns but they do not actually charge in assault columns.

Although the american civil war is great by all means, i am also wanting to have people mod this game into the napoleonic era which is my favorite era. So anything that could be done to also allow napoleonic tactics would be great.
So please "Team" ask for this feature :) All the mods that will be made for war3D will help your fans stay involved until your next release with an even more improved war simulation. I forsee a great success for Wa3DII as i can see the excitement and interest that is building up around it when i told people about it. Oh yes i am advertising for you guys extensively (we will discuss my comission later lol ;) )

VC
Last edited by Von_Clausewitz on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

I too love the Napoleonic era. Prior to TC2M, I studied it for 20 years, amassing 20,000 + miniatures.

Strangely enough, in a way the Attack column in TC2M. place the officer near the line and click the Column button. The weight of numbers immediately overwelm the enemy locally. I cannot pictue a better way to do it.
Mark S. Tewes
rebeltim
Reactions:

Post by rebeltim »

and speaking of napoleonic wars.... the Total War series is coming out with total war napoleon for early next year.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

rebeltim wrote:
and speaking of napoleonic wars.... the Total War series is coming out with total war napoleon for early next year.
Wasn't a big fan of Empire Total War. I love the campaign aspect of that series, but the AI and battle mode is weak. When are they going to make an American Civil War game? The campaign mode would be awesome for that!
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

Little Powell wrote:
rebeltim wrote:
Wasn't a big fan of Empire Total War. I love the campaign aspect of that series, but the AI and battle mode is weak. When are they going to make an American Civil War game? The campaign mode would be awesome for that!
You are right about the campaign mode on there and the AI was not that good but it with the mod I have on there and with the units set at ultra the battles are crazy.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House