Earthshook again

Here you can talk about whatever floats your boat. Your favorite movie, sports team, etc. If it's a little racey, I suggest you post in R&R, otherwise we'll move it for you.
Vonviper
Reactions:

Earthshook again

Post by Vonviper »

another one 8.8 chila is that correct?? :(
Two turn tables and a micro-phone
norb
Reactions:

Re: Earthshook again

Post by norb »

That's what I heard. The waves are hitting Hawaii now.
UglyElmo
Reactions:

Re:Earthshook again

Post by UglyElmo »

I wouldn't want to live in that part of the world right now. They seem to be having and inordinate amount of tectonic plate slippage. Considering there is a big fault line running under my state, it makes me think just how easily it could have been here instead of Chile.

I feel for those who are going through such a tragic event. Hopefully the death toll will not continue to climb. :(
For any prior or future Ugly's out there, my contact info:
el-marko1@insightbb.com
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Who was that guy that said Haiti got hit because they practiced Voodoo? Now what did the Chileans do?
UglyElmo
Reactions:

Post by UglyElmo »

Probably because they haven't pre-registered for the Gettysburg: Scourge of War game or this forum yet?

Those "God is punishing them because . ." types really anger me. :angry:
For any prior or future Ugly's out there, my contact info:
el-marko1@insightbb.com
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

norb wrote:
Who was that guy that said Haiti got hit because they practiced Voodoo? Now what did the Chileans do?
Pat Robertson said that saying something along the lines of, "The Haitians are feeling God's punishment because in the 1800s when they were fighting for the French they asked the Devil for help and sold their souls to the Devil in return." What he neglected to say was that the Haitians were slaves at the time and just wanted to be free. I wonder what Robertson would have said about John Brown who claimed to be doing the work of God but was in reality just an American terrorist?
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I think that we need a commission on this to find out what evil is going on in Chile, or has ever gone on there. I feel that this needs immediate action!
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

Apparently globally there are 16 quakes the size of the one in Haiti per year. It just is a bigger deal in Haiti because of how poor they are. Basically there buildings are so haphazardly put together that at the slightest quake they are in danger of collapsing. Also the population density is insane there.

There is usually 1 quake between 8.0-8.9 per year. Chile while still suffering at least is one of the most advanced nations in terms of building earthquake resistant buildings and the population density was much less than in Haiti.
Lumi
Reactions:

Post by Lumi »

A slightly related not, after the first quakes in Chile You'd be suprised one hit not too far from Chicago Illinois, is it a sign? The Americans are getting shaky again, is the Madrid fault in Central North America getting ready to go as many of it's neighers of normally quite faults also have been going off tragically. Records indicate it is over due.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010 ... burbs.html

First Haiti, then Chile, will Central America be next? Last time a big one hit Central America was in the early 1800s, one geologist stated if it hits today, Katrina would look look a school picnic. That one is estimated to be over an 8.0 bigger than the ones that hit in Chile/Haiti.

2nding largest to hit Central United States despite not being so big compared to it's giant sister, do to the way the center of the continent soil is, it's effect is far more massive. Picture tells all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NMSZ_Vergleich.jpg
Last edited by Lumi on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumi's Theme Song
"Giving Ground is better than Giving Lives." Brigadier General Lumina Von Kruger
"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no
courage unless you're scared." -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)
Vikki Herich Red Baron 3D Online Victories: 178 03/24/08