Possible bug, but I could also just be a dunce

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Hyde
Reactions:

Possible bug, but I could also just be a dunce

Post by Hyde »

Hello. Playing through the tutorials, I've noticed some rather hinky things about brigade movement on roads. I don't know if these things are bugs, or specifically designed this way, because while they seem odd to me, I could also just not be using the commands correctly. Either way, these occurrences are 100% consistent so far. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I'm more inclined to believe I'm just missing something within the intricate game-play than any other excuse.

FIrst Oddity: When using a brigade commander to move his troops down the road, I will click the commander destination, set the troop formation, click the use roads button and then the troops will use the roads. However, when each regiment nears its specific destination, instead of veering off the path to their destination, they complete a march some yards ahead to the position of the brigade commander, turn around, then head right back down the road toward their destination before peeling off and forming up wherever they are required.

This is especially problematic when attempting to use the 'road column' formation as regiment march all the way up the path to the commander, turn around, then march sometimes all the way back down the path again, through the rest of the column, back to their intended destination.

Second Oddity: When a brigade is traveling down a road for an extended period of time, regiments tend to constantly fishtail back and forth across the path laterally, almost as if swimming or dodging between lanes of traffic.

Help? So, does anyone know what I may be doing wrong? Also, I'm sure the first oddity uses up the valuable time and energy of the troops, but I'm curious about the second one. The regiments are in near constant side to side motion, still marching forward, but swaying as they do so. I'm very interested to know if this slows the column down and wastes energy.

Thanks!
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re:Possible bug, but I could also just be a dunce

Post by Little Powell »

Hyde wrote:
Hello. Playing through the tutorials, I've noticed some rather hinky things about brigade movement on roads. I don't know if these things are bugs, or specifically designed this way, because while they seem odd to me, I could also just not be using the commands correctly. Either way, these occurrences are 100% consistent so far. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I'm more inclined to believe I'm just missing something within the intricate game-play than any other excuse.

FIrst Oddity: When using a brigade commander to move his troops down the road, I will click the commander destination, set the troop formation, click the use roads button and then the troops will use the roads. However, when each regiment nears its specific destination, instead of veering off the path to their destination, they complete a march some yards ahead to the position of the brigade commander, turn around, then head right back down the road toward their destination before peeling off and forming up wherever they are required.

This is especially problematic when attempting to use the 'road column' formation as regiment march all the way up the path to the commander, turn around, then march sometimes all the way back down the path again, through the rest of the column, back to their intended destination.

Second Oddity: When a brigade is traveling down a road for an extended period of time, regiments tend to constantly fishtail back and forth across the path laterally, almost as if swimming or dodging between lanes of traffic.

Help? So, does anyone know what I may be doing wrong? Also, I'm sure the first oddity uses up the valuable time and energy of the troops, but I'm curious about the second one. The regiments are in near constant side to side motion, still marching forward, but swaying as they do so. I'm very interested to know if this slows the column down and wastes energy.

Thanks!
As far as the first oddity, I'll have to look into this one. I've never noticed it and no one on the team has either.

But the second one is a known issue that we dealt with during development. It should be addressed in a patch.
Last edited by Little Powell on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hyde
Reactions:

Post by Hyde »

Thanks for the response!

I'll just have to suffer with this already outstanding game while you guys try to get things straightened.
:laugh:
Mazikainen
Reactions:

Post by Mazikainen »

I noticed the same things. At least when trying a road column all the regiments march to the forward point in the formation and then back again until finding their point on the road. Might be a pathing thing when using formation movement, and remedied by halting the brigade before it reaches the end of it's move. Kind of nullifies the entire road column option though. I haven't noticed this in other missions except the first tutorial, yet I haven't paid attention either.

I've noted the fishtailing too, but it isn't an eyesore if you don't use fast forward timing.

-Mazikainen