Artillery is frustrating the hell out of me

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re:Artillery is frustrating the hell out of me

Post by Garnier »

The charging cannons while in column thing is annoying. There are several issues it seems:

It's too easy to run columns around at the front of the fighting, especially cavalry. You can charge cavalry in column straight through a little gap in the enemy line, even if you take 10 casualties, you are then behind them and can capture all their guns in 20 seconds. Infantry can do similar though not quite as easily.

I think troops in column should take drastically more morale loss when they take casualties, to give incentive for people to deploy into line when they are getting close. But also, there's the issue that they (especially cav) can grab all the guns without even taking any casualties, since they're so fast. I can't imagine 400 cavalry charging straight through a small gap in an infantry line without being devastated by the rifles, in real life.
Last edited by Garnier on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
GShock
Reactions:

Post by GShock »

I believe many things will change once the SDK is released and we're able to mod things. The very same weapons file will most certainly be tweaked so that at 30 yds a single regiment shooting on a cavalry unit will most likely kill half in a single volley and let the other half rout.

Not so easy anymore to exploit small gaps between one regiment and the other... on the contrary, the cavalry will be taking casualties much sooner than reaching the guns behind the regiment if it approaches in open ground. As it should be, after all.
DrMike1997
Reactions:

Post by DrMike1997 »

Looking at the positive side the current behaviour is easily adaptable to Napoleonics!
Slick Wilhelm
Reactions:

Post by Slick Wilhelm »

DrMike1997 wrote:
Looking at the positive side the current behaviour is easily adaptable to Napoleonics!
I was thinking the same thing. How cool would "SOW:Borodino" be! :cheer: