Greene Alone

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Taiaha
Reactions:

Greene Alone

Post by Taiaha »

This is by far and away my favorite scenario so far. I suffered 800 casualties, inflicted over 1800, and still suffered a defeat because I couldn't hold the ground. All my regiments eventually routed except for one that fought to its last round, resupplied and then went back into the fray.

The design of this scenario was great. Although you are only commanding a brigade it feels epic. Its a slugfest in parts, a battle of maneuver in others, a real nailbiter. Watching the rest of the army around you slooooowly wake up to the danger and sloooowly move into position was incredibly suspenseful. I made one tactical error near the beginning of the scenario and then paid for it for the rest of the time. As a result I felt proud to have got the score that I did.

Excellent job. If I didn't already love this game I'd be hooked.
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Re:Greene Alone

Post by MrSpkr »

Lemme guess -- you failed to secure your flank early in the scenario, allowing the Confederates to nullify your occupation of the breastworks.

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
DrMike1997
Reactions:

Post by DrMike1997 »

Secure your flank to what? The right flank is up in the air and the rebs have the whole map to walk around your right!
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Well, what I did was secure the top of the hill and the objective with a regiment each, then moved the remaining regiments to the base of the hill, where the breastworks curve away from the rebs. My theory was that if the rebs crossed between the objective and my right flank protection force, I could take them under fire from multiple sides. If not, then I could prevent the rebs from blasting through the right flank breastworks unimpeded.

Seemed to work, particularly with the fortuitous arrival of Schimmelfenig's men (I think it was him) near the center area early on in the scenario.

Steve
Last edited by MrSpkr on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
Taiaha
Reactions:

Post by Taiaha »

MrSpkr wrote:
Lemme guess -- you failed to secure your flank early in the scenario, allowing the Confederates to nullify your occupation of the breastworks.

Steve
Er, mumble mumble something like that. . .

I made two mistakes, actually. I secured my left flank too far to the left (this meant that the supporting AI regiments never got into the fray immediately to help me out) and I didn't secure the right far enough down.

When I played it again I ended up holding basically the center with two regiments and marching three down to the extreme end of the breastworks. DrMike, unless they try to swing around your flank in force, this makes it very difficult for them: you are behind breastworks with open ground at your front and the enemy starts taking significant casualties and is forced to stop and return fire.

Of course, because the AI is smarter than in TC2M it found the gaping holes in my line, pushed a massive regiment through (North Carolina? I didn't realize there were that many men in the entire state!) and tried to flank one of my regiments in the breastworks. I pulled one of my center regiments out of line (and thankfully that gap was plugged by another allied regiment, again, smart AI) and flanked them.

Ended up with 7300 and change and sweat running down my forehead.
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Heh. I love this scenario. Of course, God forbid there be a variant in which Schimmelfenigoodoldwhat'shisname is late . . .

Steve

Mayonaise
Reactions:

Post by Mayonaise »

I'm having a really hard time with this one... the first time I played it the Reb's rolled up my flank on the right... so the second time I started the left of my line on the objective and went to the right from there... but theres just not enough men to cover the gaps. The AI does a good job of hold the left, but inevitably that big reb regiment charges the works, drives my boys off, and then gets all teh benefits of teh breastworks. I've played this scenario 3 times with the same result.

Any advice?

Side note: there is a definite pathing issue with the breastworks. I haven't had any issues in other scenarios, but in this one my regiments are just acting buggy. They won't ever stop, constantly advancing in small increments without stopping to fire until they are completely out of the breastworks.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

They won't ever stop, constantly advancing in small increments without stopping to fire until they are completely out of the breastworks.
I see this behavior frequently when troops get near the edge of a steep hill. The unfinished RR is a good spot to observe this. Just trying to lower their potential energy, I guess. :P

The only way I have found to win this scenario is to place one regiment near the VP and sent the rest down to the right to hold off the tidal wave that is coming. Call for help frequently. The AI will send troops. These will eventually fill in the gaps left in your line. Remember, in this scenario as in several others, you are really fighting for points first, and the enemy second. You have to hold the VP for the points it gives and hold off the enemy while you 'run out the clock'.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Mayonaise wrote:
I'm having a really hard time with this one... the first time I played it the Reb's rolled up my flank on the right... so the second time I started the left of my line on the objective and went to the right from there... but theres just not enough men to cover the gaps. The AI does a good job of hold the left, but inevitably that big reb regiment charges the works, drives my boys off, and then gets all teh benefits of teh breastworks. I've played this scenario 3 times with the same result.

Any advice?

Side note: there is a definite pathing issue with the breastworks. I haven't had any issues in other scenarios, but in this one my regiments are just acting buggy. They won't ever stop, constantly advancing in small increments without stopping to fire until they are completely out of the breastworks.
Don't worry about the gaps. Put one regiment at the top of the hill, one by the objective, and the remaining lined up almost (but not quite) flank to flank at starting at the point just after the bottom of the breastworks (one regiment should be after the curve, the others along the breastworks in the direction of your center. TC all regiments. Scream for help early and often! Some of the regiments on the far flank will break and run eventually -- once the rebs break through, form a new line about halfway up the breastworks line. If you time it right, Schimmelmyman will arrive to help save your flank, while the rest of Geary's men will be sweeping the hill in front of your position. Just make sure you don't get routed from the victory location and you should be fine.

Steve
Last edited by MrSpkr on Mon May 10, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.