3 Day Scenario

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
richfed
Reactions:

3 Day Scenario

Post by richfed »

What is the closest thing to playing the 3 Day Battle? I thought maybe the sandbox, but I get a mixed jumble of forces in there. If not a 3 Day, is there any way to get all forces at their start positions and/or appearances at Gettysburg? For any ONE day, at least?

Must admit, I haven't had too much time to explore the game in depth, so if these are the dumbest questions ever asked, I'll understand. I have kept the game updated with the latest Beta patch.

Guess I'm looking for a bit more strategic, rather than tactical, gameplay.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re:3 Day Scenario

Post by Little Powell »

richfed wrote:
What is the closest thing to playing the 3 Day Battle? I thought maybe the sandbox, but I get a mixed jumble of forces in there. If not a 3 Day, is there any way to get all forces at their start positions and/or appearances at Gettysburg? For any ONE day, at least?

Must admit, I haven't had too much time to explore the game in depth, so if these are the dumbest questions ever asked, I'll understand. I have kept the game updated with the latest Beta patch.

At this time there's really no way to do 3 full days since the battle is represented on 4 different maps.

As for one full day, you could have the first full day since the entire first days battle fits on the McPherson's Ridge map. You could have almost all of the 2nd day, all except for the evening attacks on Culps Hill.

I'm currently finishing up a new Carryover series and then I have some work for the feature patch, but I'll see if I can find some time to make a full Day 1 scenario for both sides. It wouldn't be too much work as it would be a mod of the stock scenarios. Maybe I could design it so you can choose any commander. Stay tuned. :)
richfed
Reactions:

Post by richfed »

Sounds like something to look forward to!

PS - As an aside: many of the forum icon images are showing up as RED Xs. Are you aware of that?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

richfed wrote:
Sounds like something to look forward to!

PS - As an aside: many of the forum icon images are showing up as RED Xs. Are you aware of that?
They are showing up fine for me... Maybe something with your browser. You can try refreshing, or deleting your browser cache and see what happens.
richfed
Reactions:

Post by richfed »

Tried about everything. The "unsubscribe" button and,on the posting page - above the text input field - all the code icons [bold, italics, etc.] are RED Xs. Using IE8. No biggie, just wanted to bring this to your attention. Don't want to hijack my own thread!!! :)
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

That all sounds wonderful LP! I love the idea of full day scenarios.

The Kershaw carry-overs you created were terrific entertainment too - I did manage to complete them eventually after some attempts (I figured out that conserving the men was paramount, which I guess they would agree with too!).

Looking forward to more new stuff.

:cheer:
Last edited by Jolly on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme
Reactions:

Post by Graeme »

richfed wrote:

Perhaps this is something Sid Meier's Gettysburg has over SoW - there is a 3 day scenario, all on the one map.

Graeme
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Jolly wrote:

The Kershaw carry-overs you created were terrific entertainment too - I did manage to complete them eventually after some attempts (I figured out that conserving the men was paramount, which I guess they would agree with too!).

Looking forward to more new stuff.

:cheer:
Thanks for the kind words and glad you were able to complete them. I'm going to release my new carryover series probably today. Just have a little more testing to do. I hope you like large battles. :)

Perhaps this is something Sid Meier's Gettysburg has over SoW - there is a 3 day scenario, all on the one map.

Graeme
Yes, it was possible with his game because the graphics were so simple and not even close to scale. It could be possible with our game to make one large map, but modern computers couldn't handle it. Unless the map was pretty much naked (no fences, crops, few trees and buildings).
Graeme
Reactions:

Post by Graeme »

Yes, it was possible with his game because the graphics were so simple and not even close to scale. It could be possible with our game to make one large map, but modern computers couldn't handle it. Unless the map was pretty much naked (no fences, crops, few trees and buildings).
Interesting that you mention scale as James Ling uploaded 1:1 scale soldiers for SMG last December: http://mattslow.proboards.com/

Graeme
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Graeme wrote:
Interesting that you mention scale as James Ling uploaded 1:1 scale soldiers for SMG last December: http://mattslow.proboards.com/

Graeme
Well I'm more talking about the size/scale of the units compared to the terrain/buildings etc. But that looks like a cool mod!