Hurrah for John Buford!!!!

Had a great game? Want to write about it. These things can be very exciting, so if you want to share, post them here. The best will be reposted to the front page of the site!
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Hurrah for John Buford!!!!

Post by Jack ONeill »

Gentlemen,

The most marvelous thing happened during an SP game the other day. The Federal Cavalry actually did its job!!!! Let me explain...

I have created some custom OOBs from the "Jackson...What If..." OOB. 3 Federal Infantry Divisions w/ included Arty and Bufords Cav Div under Plesanton. 3 Reb Infantry Divs, (Raleigh Colstons, and A.P. Hills Division split in two so 3 Brigades plus Arty each, with my Grandfather, R.J. Riddell, commanding one of them.) Scrounged the Reb Cav from the Sample 1 Mod OOB - Wade Hampton's Brigade plus a battery, commanded as a Division by my grandson Liam Hartwig (who looks suspiciously like Raleigh Colston.) Can run this as an army scenario from sandbox with few FPS problems.

So, the Battle and the cool stuff...

Commanding Wadsworths Div, Day 3 map, HTD no Objs, advancing from west to east. Supposedly I was in reserve. Right. Advanced to the A. Plank farm to contact. Bufords Cavalry on my right and center front, Geary of Slocums XII Corps on my left. Jackson thru Colston and A.P. Hill at us straight on. Fierce combat around the A. Plank Farm. Checked the map and saw Riddell's Division on a flanking manuever around our left thru GB, then down the little farm road towards the Bliss Farm. Was sending message after message to Reynolds asking for support when I noticed the really cool thing this is really about.
Federal Cav was moving in the general direction of Riddell's Div. I thought at first they were Cav driven back from in front of me where the battle was raging. I then saw Devin racing across the fields towards them. Figured he was going to rally them. NO! Devin arrived and THEY FORMED LINE AND ATTACKED RIDDELL'S ARTY TRAIN, which of course was out in from of the Infantry (Norb/Team can you please deal with this?). I was stunned. Bufords Cavalry was actually doing a cavalry job - deploying to delay and annoy the advancing infantry long enough so our reserves could move to meet the threat to our left. They overran the guns, took a bunch, then settled down to trade small-arms fire with the Reb infantry. They actually traded space for time, holding up the attack for as long as they could. Naturally Meade sent our reserves to the wrong flank, but thats another story. Fantastic!!!

This was after the official patch was released and installed, so maybe y'all did something to fix the Cav? If so, good job. I had noticed the Cav on both sides does tend to at least try to get out in front of the poor, tired foot and scout a bit, after the patch.

Anyway, just something cool and different I'd thought I'd share with y'all.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Cruiser
Reactions:

Re:Hurrah for John Buford!!!!

Post by Cruiser »

Sounds like a lot of fun, Jack. Good stuff like that is what keeps me playing this marvelous game!

BTW, I also thought I sensed the cavalry being a bit more of a factor in SP Sandbox play. Maybe a coincidence but I had a very tough fight against some AI commanded Confederate cavalry a couple of days ago.
"Never stand and take a charge .... charge them too."
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

C,

Yes. Got to watch Buford and Hartwigs Cav go at each other on the Alpine map last week. Very cool.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hi Jack!

I agree with Cruiser, it does sound like you had a great time. This game gets better every time you play it I swear.

Later Jack!