Canister through infantry lines

Had a great game? Want to write about it. These things can be very exciting, so if you want to share, post them here. The best will be reposted to the front page of the site!
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Canister through infantry lines

Post by NY Cavalry »

I played a MP game last night where I had a regiment about 30 yards in front of my artillery. When the enemy closed in my artillery began firing canister at them through my infantry line. I thought this was fixed to where the artillery would just fire over the heads of friendly infantry with anything but canister.
I moved my infantry out of the way as soon as I saw it.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Canister through infantry lines

Post by Little Powell »

NY Cavalry wrote:
I played a MP game last night where I had a regiment about 30 yards in front of my artillery. When the enemy closed in my artillery began firing canister at them through my infantry line. I thought this was fixed to where the artillery would just fire over the heads of friendly infantry with anything but canister.
I moved my infantry out of the way as soon as I saw it.
The arty might have been on higher ground. The fix was to keep artillery from shooting canister through friendly regiments (they need a clear line of sight). If the elevation is over 20 feet behind a friendly regiment then they can still shoot over them.

But if you can verify with a save that the artillery was not on higher ground, then maybe it's a bug.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

The artillery was definitely higher in elevation.
J Canuck
Reactions:

Post by J Canuck »

Are there any visual clues to help estimate if the elevation is about 20 feet? E.g. Is it the height of a two storey building or certain trees? I have discovered one method.

I will move my arty forward toward my engaged battle-line (e.g. at the base of a hill). When my arty crosses the 200 yard cannister LOS threshold, the arty's LOS indicator will suddenly jump to a much greater distance reading. I presume this is the game's coding to prevent my arty from firing cannister if the arty's elevation is not greater than 20 feet.

Of course this method is after the fact since a battle has or is about to commence. I am searching for something to identify suitable 20 foot elevations for combo arty/infantry battle-line deployment even if it is a rough point of reference like my two storey building example.

Or ...... perhaps the Gettysburg map does not afford any suitable elevations?????

Any comments would be appreciated.