Living History this weekend at Antietam - Iron Brigade!

Phantom Captain
Reactions:

Living History this weekend at Antietam - Iron Brigade!

Post by Phantom Captain »

Hi everyone! Haven't posted here in a long while but regardless...

I will be at Antietam this weekend doing a living history on the actual battlefield portraying the Iron Brigade's 6th Wisconsin! Already been to the battlefield a few times but never in uniform. armchair general is going to be at the battlefield on Thurday but he and I will miss each other by one day!! It would have been cool to actually meet in person after all this time but what can you do. Being a Hoosier myself, I would of loved to have been able to do 19th Indiana but 6th Wisconsin is hardly any type of let down! I love our western boys! Huzzah! For those of you who don't know I reenact normally doing a western federal impression with the 49th Indiana Co. F, I'm part of a more authentic group within the unit and we are the Tanglefoot Mess.

I'm a huge proponent into the oft overlooked western federal soldiers as the Eastern Theater usually overshadows them. That being said, of course my favorite unit in the east would be our own all western Iron Brigade! It's my honor to portray those men that I so respect and have studied for so long on the actual battlefield itself. We get to camp around and sleep next to the Dunker Church. My mess has already actually discussed wandering off to the Sunken Road for an all nighter ghost hunt possibly! Or maybe even catch a few Zs in the road. Being Federal we might stir up some bad feelings being in uniform there.

Saturday morning we will be up before dawn and the park historians are going to have us march through the cornfield in the footsteps of those men who did it so long ago at the same time of day. Awesome. We will be there for the weekend for park visitors to see and talk to.

Come on out if you are nearby and say hello!

I'll post pics after...

IRON BRIGADE cheer them on!!
Last edited by Phantom Captain on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal - 49th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. F

In our youth our hearts were touched with fire.
Phantom Captain
Reactions:

Re: Living History this weekend at Antietam - Iron Brigade!

Here's my full on Iron Brigade impression for this living history. Stripes are coming off before I go though.

Different items for my IB impression compared to my western fed impression are, the dress frock coat, blue hat cord on my Hardee hat, leather canteen strap, full knapsack instead of blanket roll and I'll be carrying by 1857 Harper's Ferry rifle instead of my Lorenz.

Here's a pic of the full load knapsack. Big fun. Inside I carry: one spare shirt, one extra pair wool sock, wool gloves, sleeping cap, knife, wallet and letters from home. Additionally in the second compartment are my shelter half dog tent, issue US wool blanket and gum blanket. My greatcoat is rolled and carried on top.

RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Lookin' good there Yank. Got to tour Antietam a few hours coming back from Gettysburg this August, and really enjoyed experiencing that 'ground'. I'm sure you'll appreciate it's appeal and history also PC, especially since you've most diligently and passionately made yourself a part of it. Huzzah!...Thanks for sharing
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
2nd Kentucky
Reactions:

Post by 2nd Kentucky »

Tis a pity, do you do any galvanizing PC?:lol: :lol: :lol:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."-John Wayne
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

PC,

You're not alone with the Western impression. The only Yankees I've done were Western troops - 19th. Indiana, 14th. Indiana, 125th. Illinois and 7th. West "By God!" Virginia. All but the Illini were in the Army of the Potomac.

To answer 2nd. Kentucky - 47th. Virginia and 17th. Mississippi.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Paul71stPVI
Reactions:

Post by Paul71stPVI »

We do a living history at Gettysburg every year...getting to actually camp out on the field, usually in the shadow of the Pennsylvania Monument, is something really special.
Company K
1st California Regiment (71st P.V.)
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

We do a living history at Gettysburg every year...getting to actually camp out on the field, usually in the shadow of the Pennsylvania Monument, is something really special.
You're right, Paul. I did that for many years at GB with the 53rd PVI. Never lost the thrill of doing LH behind the Pa. Monument. The 53rd used to also do LH at Pitzer Woods and many years ago (1980s) in Zeigler's Grove. Actually, I like the Pitzer Woods location better than behind the Pa. Monument, but we got better crowds by the Pa. Monument.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
2nd Kentucky
Reactions:

Post by 2nd Kentucky »

A couple quick questions.

Do you not turn the side up on your Hardee hat? Is that tiki torch historically accurate :P . How many reenactors will be there PC? Are you expecting a large audience? Anyways, have fun while doing it. I have not been to a reenactment for some time because of other activities. Have a grand time, and try to fin some ghosts while your out there...;) :lol: :whistle:
Last edited by 2nd Kentucky on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."-John Wayne
Phantom Captain
Reactions:

Thanks guys,

2nd, the Hardees were worn many way, some turned up the sides, many had the ostrich feathers, the brass bugle and regimental number etc. I'm going simple because my Hardee is my regular western fed hat and I don't want to do all that to it. I feel like I'm pushing it with the blue hat cord, lol!!

I have no idea how many people will be there, a typical weekend at the battlefield I'm supposing? Friday we are doing a ceremony and wreath laying for the IB soldiers in the national cemetary there. Not sure how many reenactors either. My company is the hardcore company, we are campaigning of course, there will probably be about 25 of us in I company, maybe an additional 50-75?

The tiki torch is farby, sorry. It's the 1867 model. :P

Oh, and I do galvanize on occasion but only with our good friends, the Pop Skull Mess in the 44th TN. I have a Wambaugh and White Columbus depot jacket I wear for that. Also that's about the only time I carry my 1842 .69 smoothbore. My cornfed impression is nowhere near my fed in quality though.
Last edited by Phantom Captain on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Hey PC,

Great pictures !

Hope you guys have great weather and also hope you can show us some !

I here it is supposed to hit 71 degrees Sunday on the East Coast

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today