30 years later - Remembering John

Here you can talk about whatever floats your boat. Your favorite movie, sports team, etc. If it's a little racey, I suggest you post in R&R, otherwise we'll move it for you.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

30 years later - Remembering John

Post by JC Edwards »

30 years ago tonight, John Lennon was assassinated in New York City - I was 13 at the time and will always remember that night.

I had been watching Monday Night Football and had got up to use the restroom and was just closing the door when I heard someone say his name on the TV. When I came out, my mom asked me if I'd heard and I said no; just that I heard his name.

That's when she told me - and my world came to a crashing halt.I couldn't believe it and I went to bed. The next morning I got up and grabbed the paper and saw that it was true and I cried. My mom kept me out of school that entire week.
(2 years later when I was 15 I had the honor to portray John Lennon in a Beatles Tribute Band called Magical Mystery Tour).

That next Sunday, December 14, I lit a candle and took part in the silent vigil that was held around the world for John - that candle still burns today.

Thank you John
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
norb
Reactions:

Re: 30 years later - Remembering John

Post by norb »

This begs the question as to how he made such an impact on a 13 year old. I don't think that I knew who he was at 13.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

I suppose it would denpend on what you were listening to at the age of 13. For me it was, Simon & Garfunkle, Iron Butterfly, Beatles and the Doors.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I remember KISS and Queen, Police, ACDC, lots of top 40 radio. Don't remember listening to any Beatles. I didn't know Elvis, but I do remember a girl in my class announcing that he died. I remember watching FishHeads on MTV, my choir teacher used to tape and play MTV during lunch. But I don't think that any single group/singer made that type of impact on me that I would be that distraught when they died. So I'm just wondering how Lennon impacted JC so much.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

This begs the question as to how he made such an impact on a 13 year old. I don't think that I knew who he was at 13.
My friend, John Lennon and the Beatles were the IT thing for me at age 10 :) Even to this day I can mimic to a capital T each of their voices....I also do a pretty mean Bullwinkle ;)

Being a musician from the time I was 5, the Beatles were a prime and heavy influence on me. John Lennon especially in the area of writing lyrics. In fact I wrote my first song lyrics just weeks before John died.

It's still hard to believe it's been 30 years.......
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Norb wrote:
But I don't think that any single group/singer made that type of impact on me that I would be that distraught when they died. So I'm just wondering how Lennon impacted JC so much.
You're really not saying that when the Big Bopper went down in that airplane you didn't shed a tear? :P
The MTV of my day was the Ed Sullivan show. Ed was an incredible prude. I still remember the look on his face when the Doors sang Light My Fire without censoring some of the words as he wanted.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

After listening to those tunes, it reminded me of of how different our world is from back then. :dry:
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

.... So I'm just wondering how Lennon impacted JC so much.
Another quality about John that influenced me was his devotion to peace. Even though now I'm a "PC Warmonger".... That devotion to peace had a major effect on me; his music just added to it.
Sure he had his faults just like the rest of us. But that didn't take away from John the man or John the person. It's easy to focus on the negative side of people; especially ones that are famous......but it gets you nowhere......and in the end, all you're left with is a headache. ;)