What a mess!

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Roger55
Reactions:

What a mess!

Post by Roger55 »

OK you need to play Hood to get to McLaws. You need to play McLaws to get to the Union side.

So I tried Hood. I try to push the Guns forward and they disappear. I try to make sense of the attack but pretty soon the divisions are hopelessly mixed. And the regiments go every which way and Law (ME) never gets control.

Do I have to take the control of the whole division from the AI one Regiment at a time? Or can I grab it using the division Commander or Brigade Commanders. I took the Rocks and the small rocky hill but neither objective marker turned turned? I ended up with 0 points. And piles of bodies all over the landscape.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: What a mess!

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Roger55 wrote:
I ended up with 0 points. And piles of bodies all over the landscape.
Wow, sounds like the actual battle. Congrats on recreating history. :) A general rule for playing these scenarios is: TC all your subordinate commanders. Then move individual regiments as you see fit. The goal of the scenarios is to attain a certain score and not necessarily win the battle. Grab the important VPs as soon as you can and hang on to them. It's OK if your command will get wiped out 30 seconds after the scenario ends. Don't worry about winning in the style of your historic counterpart. He was never tasked with winning by getting x number of points. After getting the expected scores, I've gone back and replayed many of these scenarios in a more historic way, in the saddle using couriers. And even though I can win these, except for Barksdale's suicide charge, with more points than the AI, I never come very close to a "major" victory.

Good luck. I'll expect to see your promotion to general soon. :)
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Roger55
Reactions:

Post by Roger55 »

Should I set it on Historical or leave it at normal? Does that Net more points?

And what do you have to do to "capture" an objective. Like I said the markers wouldn't turn "Confederate."

Finally, that ground is unbelievable.:sick: They couldn't have reconoitered it.
Gfran64
Reactions:

Post by Gfran64 »

Should I set it on Historical or leave it at normal? Does that Net more points?

And what do you have to do to "capture" an objective. Like I said the markers wouldn't turn "Confederate."

Finally, that ground is unbelievable.:sick: They couldn't have reconoitered it.
Most of us play on normal. The game is difficult enough. I don't think you get more points for playing on a harder setting. I tried it in the beginning and it seemed about the same as far a point gathering goes. Objectives generally have to be controlled by a certain number of men within a preset radius of the marker and held for an allotted period of time. The diameter of that radius and the number of men will vary from scenario to scenario as will the points awarded.

Good luck,

Greg
Roger55
Reactions:

Post by Roger55 »

Luck! I'll need luck. And more Brains I just tried it again. By the time Law gets command there is already a mess as Handcock shifts troops off Cemetary ridge! It took forever to shift them out of there from in front of DD. He got Guns up in Devils Den. I tried to take LRT from BRT. I could have gone down and put a brigade and 2 Regiments acoss the Tanneytown road. No points there. Law and bits of Robertson tried twice to take LRT. No go. -297 worse than last time! ARRG!:pinch: