Gettysburg Battlefield Bookstore

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
jrkymt
Reactions:

Gettysburg Battlefield Bookstore

Post by jrkymt »

I just recently visited the Gettysburg Battlefield. I enjoyed comparing the actual sites, with the battlefields in the game. You guys did a great job.
While visiting the bookstore, I didn't see the game. I'm surprised the game wasn't sold there. What a great way to learn about the battle. I also never see the game sold anywhere else. Can we only buy the game through the website?
Taiaha
Reactions:

Re: Gettysburg Battlefield Bookstore

Post by Taiaha »

I remember thinking the same thing about TC2M when I was at the Manassas battlefield bookstore a while back. These are great educational tools (in addition to being damn entertaining, of course!).
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

I would imagine the cost of packaging and distribution would have an impact on a Indie company like NorbSoftdev.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Shirkon
Reactions:

Post by Shirkon »

Believe me, we would love to get the game in the stores at the battlefields. One thing to remember though, for about the first 6 to 9 months or so that the game was out it was only available through download. Since at this time all packaging and shipping is done by hand by Norb's family it would be prohibitive trying to distribute to stores at the parks. Also I believe the contract requirements of the National Park Service are a bit steep for an independant company to handle.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

Sherman, December 1863, remark to a Tennessee woman.
jrkymt
Reactions:

Post by jrkymt »

Thank you everyone, for your replies. This is such a great, and entertaining game. Are there anymore battle games planned?
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

The Pipe Creek map pack/scenario set is getting closer to release. We are already working on some of the early stages of the next major release. Depending on circumstances, we might release another map pack in the fall to give you all some new scenery to fight on.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

We have made a few requests to get in there and it's just hard for an indie to get in their door. I'm sure we could provide the games if they wanted them, but without a publisher, it's hard to get anyone to listen.
jri
Reactions:

Post by jri »

Can you give the bookstore purchaser a free copy. They just may never heard of it or seen the entire game and maps.

Just a suggestion

John
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Can you give the bookstore purchaser a free copy. They just may never heard of it or seen the entire game and maps.

Just a suggestion

John
To my knowledge there's a corporation that handles what products are sold at the bookstore. There's a process to have to go through and again without a publisher it's hard to get in the door.
Last edited by Little Powell on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LMUStats
Reactions:

Post by LMUStats »

We have made a few requests to get in there and it's just hard for an indie to get in their door. I'm sure we could provide the games if they wanted them, but without a publisher, it's hard to get anyone to listen.
I know that HPS has more resources to use/pull from but I bought my copy of "Campaign 1776" at the Kings Mountain National Military Park Bookstore so I know they will sell games. (Although I was at the Chancellorsville Visitors Center last month and they didn't have the new game, but it might have been because it was released back in the Spring.)

I do agree that it is hard to get items into the system to sell. I was at Fredericksburg & Chancellorsville last year and they had the Earl Hess books about fortifications for sale and last month they didn't carry them anymore. Heck, I know a former ranger at the Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area who wrote a book about the natural arches/chimney rocks in the park and it took him almost two years to get it sold at the BSF bookstore! For a while until it was all worked out he would just keep some copies on hand and if the boss wasn't around you could buy an autographed copy for the cover price. :)
Last edited by LMUStats on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.