Question about Points

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
opuslife
Reactions:

Question about Points

Post by opuslife »

Newbie stuff - points questions after perousing the board and the manual (still getting b*tt kicked by MePherson's Ridge Scenario, BTW). I'm getting the 'get your commander and some guys to the objective quickly and sit on it' to get the points counter going... but I take it that in order to be successful, even if you do that, that you need to fight and defeat some of your opponent (currently only the game AI, set on easiest setting) assets to 'win' by accruing enough points to put the counter 'over the top', no?

To that end, is there any general breakdown or generic description anywhere as to how many points are earned for taking / holding objective? (for how long? etc.) Also, balancing 'take and hold' with fighting, same question about points earned while fighting? (points lost for losing?)

Thanks for reading and replying - sorry for newbie Qs. (Bob, Bristol RI)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Question about Points

Post by RebBugler »

Mouseover the objective from the Map, the points info, along with other info, is available there. Engagement points are also necessary to win most scenarios. I build many scenarios where there are no objectives, the player must win by engagement points only...this to me, is the most honorable type of victory.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Newbie stuff - points questions after perousing the board and the manual (still getting b*tt kicked by MePherson's Ridge Scenario, BTW). I'm getting the 'get your commander and some guys to the objective quickly and sit on it' to get the points counter going... but I take it that in order to be successful, even if you do that, that you need to fight and defeat some of your opponent (currently only the game AI, set on easiest setting) assets to 'win' by accruing enough points to put the counter 'over the top', no?

To that end, is there any general breakdown or generic description anywhere as to how many points are earned for taking / holding objective? (for how long? etc.) Also, balancing 'take and hold' with fighting, same question about points earned while fighting? (points lost for losing?)

Thanks for reading and replying - sorry for newbie Qs. (Bob, Bristol RI)

If you're stuck on this scenario, make sure you use your artillery. Bring them closer to the action. They will help a lot..
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Check out the section "How to Win" on page 101 of the manual. This explains to the objective point system which can be a little confusing as well as the other ways to get points.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
opuslife
Reactions:

Post by opuslife »

Thanks all, for the replies. I will dig into your tips soonest. (I must say though, that currently I'm happy as a clam, as I'm now thoroughly enjoying the extra scenarios, learning by doing, on the fly.)

Regards all, Bob, Bristol RI