Form up to the left of

con20or
Reactions:

Form up to the left of

Post by con20or »

This is probably more a MOD post than HITS, but as it's exclusively related to courier play I'll leave it here. Plus HITS players are all intelligent, generous, handsome, successful - not to mention modest - and so I'm hoping to get some good help here.

I was looking through the SDK (wonderful stuff in there, only found out about it yesterday) and I was looking at the courier .csv file.

One of the things I would like to see changed is how you use 'form up to the left/right of' courier menu command. The options you get for form,ing up on are regiments, or generals.

Now in most cases you would want to form up to the left of a formation. Brigade A, form up to the left of brigade B - and in doing so form a battle line. But if you order them to form up to the left of general A, they will form up to the generals left, not the troops under his command. So if he is 50 yards behind his troops brigade B will form up 50 yards brigade A. One solution - you can check what brigade A's left most unit is, then order brigade B to form up to the left of this unit. This works, but you have to be able to see what unit is on the LHS of that formation - obviously not possible most times when playing HITS and with large forces.

Which brings me back to the courier csv - theres a section on 'form up to the left/right of' . Theres two.

IDS_Move_to_Left_Flank_of

and

IDS_Move_to_Left_Flank_of_All

Now is one the command for the general, and one to move his whole unit? Or is one the command to join up to a general, and one to join up on his unit (what i want, but for some reason hasnt been implemented?)

If neither is the case - how could we go about specifying the brigade, division etc, rather than the general or individual unit?

The two existing commands are

movespec:leftflankof:%s

Amovespec:leftflankof:%s

1. How do I make %s be a battle formation (brigade, division, corps) rather than a unit or general?

2. Or how do I make a general in the list represent his unit rather than just himself!
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Form up to the left of

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

con20or wrote:
Plus HITS players are all intelligent, generous, handsome, successful - not to mention modest - and so I'm hoping to get some good help here.
That goes without saying :laugh:
1. How do I make %s be a battle formation (brigade, division, corps) rather than a unit or general?
2. Or how do I make a general in the list represent his unit rather than just himself!
That is something that Norb would have to add in the code. You'll have to put it in mantis. That addition is a very good idea by the way. Be aware that a unit will form up on the flank of another at the spot where the unit is at the time the order is received. If that unit moves in the meantime, the unit being sent won't adjust for that. There have been times when I've sent a unit to extend my flank. When they got to the spot, it was already behind enemy lines. :ohmy:
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Hi MTG, thats quite a mess up!

I have already put that one up on mantis - but was hoping to find a way to MOD it as a quick fix. Is it hopeless?

I have a guilt inducing picture of a cute cat somewhere around here....
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

con20or wrote:
Is it hopeless?
Yes. You must abandon all hope and throw yourself upon the not-so-tender mercies of Ming The Merciless, a.k.a. Norb. :evil: Best of luck...
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.