Teamspeak newbie

A multiplayer online persistence game for Scourge of War.
Lead your division from battle to battle where your casualties really
count.
Trilogy
Reactions:

Teamspeak newbie

Post by Trilogy »

Hi all,

I'm thinking of trying SoW Multiplayer, and I had no idea until now that there was a persistent online campaign. It looks great!

However, I'm a complete virgin when it comes to Teamspeak. I've downloaded the client and installed it, and I see the server IP and port listed on the GCM website, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

When I try to connect to "voice.gameservers.com" in Teamspeak, I get "failed to connect to server address." I don't even know where the port number 9175 goes. (My connect attempt was at ~9:00a.m. EST, so I assume there isn't a big game going right now. Is the server always up, or only at game times?)

In short, how do I set up and use Teamspeak for SoW? And are there any special settings you recommend in Teamspeak to make the experience better?

All advice appreciated! Thanks.

P.S. I downloaded the GCM mod, and I see that it's an installer rather than the usual Mod directory files. I haven't run it yet. Do I need to make a separate install of SoW, or will GCM not interfere with single-player gaming?
Last edited by Trilogy on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Re: Teamspeak newbie

Post by KG_Soldier »

You don't need to make another install. The GCM won't affect your single player games.

On the GCM site, in the lower right corner, there's a "join this server" icon which will connect you to the Teamspeak server. Once you're there, a moderator will have to set your permissions to registered so you can join rooms other than the entrance. We had some miscreants spamming the server so Garnier set it up that way.

I'll be on this evening around 4:30 CST. Look forward to you joining our games. You will have a blast.
Trilogy
Reactions:

Post by Trilogy »

Thanks!

I have some more questions:

--Now that I have the GCM launcher and I've named my division commanders, what happens next? I assume I launch the game (through GCM) and then connect to the server through the SoW multiplayer menu. How does connecting from the GCM website fit into this?

--I see that the launcher automatically unloads my other mods and loads GCM. The launcher also includes the option to "Install Vegetation Mod" and "Install Minimap Mod." Will these permanently overwrite any other mods I might use for single-player?

--I guess I should ask for a step-by-step description of how to get from my desktop to the battlefield. (I told you I was a newbie!)

Thanks again!
WriterJWA
Reactions:

Post by WriterJWA »

If you've set your division up on the GCM website and have the game patched to the latest version (1.301), then you'll just need to get on TeamSpeak and get into a game. The person who hosts bears the brunt of the scenario setup, and which of the two divisions you have will be picked randomly per game. There's not much you have to do and anything weird that comes up can generally be handled by the community online. Once you get online in the TS server you'll get sorted out. :-)
"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."

"If you see the President, tell him from me that whatever happens there will be no turning back."

Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, 1864
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Thanks!

I have some more questions:

--Now that I have the GCM launcher and I've named my division commanders, what happens next? I assume I launch the game (through GCM) and then connect to the server through the SoW multiplayer menu. How does connecting from the GCM website fit into this?

--I see that the launcher automatically unloads my other mods and loads GCM. The launcher also includes the option to "Install Vegetation Mod" and "Install Minimap Mod." Will these permanently overwrite any other mods I might use for single-player?

--I guess I should ask for a step-by-step description of how to get from my desktop to the battlefield. (I told you I was a newbie!)

Thanks again!
When the host adds your division to the game, the GCM will randomly put you on a side and add one of your divisions to the oob. You don't have to do anything except join the room in the multiplayer lobby. We use Teamspeak to set up the battle (basically, see who wants to play) and for in-game communications. If you're on this evening, I'll walk you through setting up your division admin settings.
Trilogy
Reactions:

Post by Trilogy »

Thanks, guys. I'm afraid I won't be on this evening since I have to work. I'll look for a chance to get beat soon!