A.P. Hill Carryover Scenario, First Day- Part 1

Had a great game? Want to write about it. These things can be very exciting, so if you want to share, post them here. The best will be reposted to the front page of the site!
william1993
Reactions:

A.P. Hill Carryover Scenario, First Day- Part 1

Post by william1993 »

All brigades are labeled. Let me tell you which place is where.
1.McPherson's Farm (I think)
2.Herbst Woods
3.Fenced in field
4.Seminary
5.Railroad Cut
6.Willoughby Run
7.McPherson's Woods

* All this is situated with Gettysburg in the area behind the Seminary
** The three flanking brigades are those of Alfred Scales, Birkett Fry (Archer) and Edward Thomas.

First, I must say, I did this all with Heth and Pender's men. Dick Anderson never showed up. I guess his name fits his character.....

Well, I started by not attacking across the Run. Knowing the firepower of the Iron Brigade, I arrayed Lane's and Perrin's two brigades (3500 men) in a long line stretching in both directions covering the woods, farm, and overlapping the Iron Brigade. I sent out a regiment to initiate contact, and when the Westerners bit, I had it fall back until the Iron Brigade was in that deep area in the actual run itself. All the regiments didn't come (24th Michigan stayed in the woods and 6th Wisconsin by the Seminary), and I waited until they got in the run, and curled the ends of Lane's brigade around the Iron Brigade, and supported by artillery, began to shoot at them.

The three flanking brigades I got on the Hagerstown Road. There I divided them more. Fry's brigade kept going towards the Seminary, in a flanking/rear attack move. The other two brigades continued down the road, then turned left, flanking (3) They got in a shootout with Chapman Biddle and a battery. Scales brigade lost 60% of men, Thomas' lost maybe 10%, but Biddle's brigade ran away. This took maybe 30 minutes.

At about this time, Stone's Bucktails and the Iron Brigade started running away. Davis' brigade counterattacked to make the Bucktails retreat and then turned right to drive into the flank of the 24th Michigan which was holding up Lane's and Perrin's folks. They ran away. The Iron brigade did some serious slaughter. Both brigades lost about 45% of men.

At this time, I then brought up Pettigrew's big fresh brigade. I brought them across the field occupied by Biddle and then launched them into the artillery brigade at the Seminary, as well as launching Fry (hidden in trees) from the other direction. Guns were captured, shot up, chased away, retreated. At about this time all Union forces began to retreat.

Brockenbrough and Davis' men cut diagonally across the field to attack in the area of 7. John Robinson's division, Cutler attached was trying to attack towards the Seminary and Fry's, Pettigrew's, Thomas' brigades fell into line to stop them. Fry's brigade drove away the 6th Wisconsin.

More to come when I make another picture.
Last edited by william1993 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God darn. Holy testicles. All them people.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: A.P. Hill Carryover Scenario, First Day- Part 1

Post by Little Powell »

Cool stuff! Thanks for posting William.