Quotes from the rank and file.

Chris G.
Reactions:

Quotes from the rank and file.

Post by Chris G. »

Everyone is well versed with the quips and quotes of the generals, politicians and other big players of the period. That being said, what are some of your favorite quotes from the lesser known officers and men from the ranks. Post them here. A couple of my personal favorites :

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Anonymous Union Private

"I may have fought for the losing side; I'm still not convinced that it was the wrong one".-Captain Malcom Reynolds.
Armisted
Reactions:

Re: Quotes from the rank and file.

Post by Armisted »

Im not sure if this counts as not well know enough, but I really like this quote (half quote half action).

Edward Ephraim Cross in the middle of the fight at bloody lane -
"Put on the war paint!" Men of the 5th NH rip cartridges and rub them on their face. "Now give them the war whoops!" His regiment then lets out the Yankee version of the rebel yell.
I always thought this was great, taking the time for inspiring theatrics in the middle of battle B)
Yes I know I spelled Armistead wrong but the correct spelling was already taken :(
con20or
Reactions:

Re: Quotes from the rank and file.

Post by con20or »

not sure rubbing gunpowder on your face and then walking into battle is the best idea, but it sure is a good quote:)