#15 'Green's Alone' confusion

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Element UK
Reactions:

Re: #15 'Green's Alone' confusion

Post by Element UK »

Well I tried to send a gazillion couriers to Candy etc but I just could not even get to see him turn up to help.

Message recipient Candy, Inform I have sighted or holding enemy to my fron and right flanks. Ask for Inf Support to right flank, tell him to face South East and Fire at Will.

Not even seen Candy or his superor on the darn map, let alone see him show up. Another 4200 inconclusive fight. Getting really peeved at this now. The scoring system needs some major overhaul because I held the hill and was practically standing on the Obj marker the whole time. Stuff like this just want to make me throw my toys out of the pram.
Gudadantza
Reactions:

Post by Gudadantza »

Well I tried to send a gazillion couriers to Candy etc but I just could not even get to see him turn up to help.

Message recipient Candy, Inform I have sighted or holding enemy to my fron and right flanks. Ask for Inf Support to right flank, tell him to face South East and Fire at Will.

Not even seen Candy or his superor on the darn map, let alone see him show up. Another 4200 inconclusive fight. Getting really peeved at this now. The scoring system needs some major overhaul because I held the hill and was practically standing on the Obj marker the whole time. Stuff like this just want to make me throw my toys out of the pram.
But was the obj marked with your flag inside? Sometimes an specific number of troops are needed to hold the objetive.

Greetings!
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Element UK wrote:

Those messages will have no effect. There is only one command that will work, "Request Support."
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Another 4200 inconclusive fight. Getting really peeved at this now. The scoring system needs some major overhaul because I held the hill and was practically standing on the Obj marker the whole time
If you hold the objective the whole time that's 5900 points, so, something's not adding up by your report. Make sure the objective stays activated, 100 troops at all times. Keep all your troops on those walls, gotta have that BIG defensive bonus which will enable you to get plus engagement points.

This is a variant built scenario, an easier variant will eventually come along...hang in there. It is not necessary to 'call for support' to win this scenario, however, it may help as MTG proposes, but was not tested with this in mind.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Element UK
Reactions:

Post by Element UK »

I used Call support alot, just forgot to add it in post here. Thinking about it I forgot to add the order for formation! Is that not crucial?

Recipient, time, enemy to my right flank, call support, Support with Inf to my right flank, face East/South East, Fire at will.

I should have put in the Form line somewhere shouldn't I?
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Nope. Just, "Request Support", nothing more, nothing less.
Element UK
Reactions:

Post by Element UK »

Major Victory 7926 at last.

Only ever saw Schimmelburg and major Hammer to my right and Powe to my left though.

Honestly couldn't tell if courier's were working or not. Unless Greary is the top dog and was sending them. I thought he was a Brigade commander and in charge of 4/5 units like me. Anyway, thanks for the tips guys...just couldn't tell if anything worked apart from staying on the Objtectives.
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

I played this last night using HITS & Couriers and was very pleased with my 3,000 odd score. Counted as a defeat, IIRC, but felt like a victory to me!

Thanks to MTG's advice I sent loads of "Request support" messages to Geary and he wandered over from time to time to have a look and did send troops at times. I had the Iron Brigade join me towards the end.

I think I also used to send complicated messages to the AI in the past, so VERY useful advice from MTG.
Last edited by Blaugrana on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Blaugrana wrote:
I played this last night using HITS & Couriers and was very pleased with my 3,000 odd score. Counted as a defeat, IIRC, but felt like a victory to me!
Well done! If you held the hill at the end of the battle then it was a victory in spite of the scoring system. As I recall, and I've labored mightily to forget, this one and the Barksdale suicide mission were the hardest scenarios to get the required number of points on the historic level.
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

Yep - we held the hill!

Just went back to the saved game to check and then, of course, couldn't resist playing on into the dusk...

Pulled my brigade back for a lie down and watched the Iron brigade clear all Reb troops off the hill by about 10.15! I should have left it there, as I then advanced off the hill in pursuit, got a bit too cocky and exposed my very depleted regiments to a Rebel battery - heard the dread sound of canister and looked round to see one regiment routing, the others about to...