Wofford in the Wheatfield: A Horrible Realization Dawns

Had a great game? Want to write about it. These things can be very exciting, so if you want to share, post them here. The best will be reposted to the front page of the site!
BGLaw4SC
Reactions:

Wofford in the Wheatfield: A Horrible Realization Dawns

Post by BGLaw4SC »

I admit it. As a man of weak character, I am forever blaming others for my misfortunes.

Nevertheless, some of you good people are not doing what you should be doing. You should be posting your AAR’s with more frequency and fervor, perhaps in the vain chance that some new fish may be spared the frying pan.

Flush with eventual success from “On to the Roundtops,” I decided to try “We Want These Guns.” I began the encounter with no small measure of trepidation.

Before I say anything further, I should point out there is a gentleman, of sorts, who goes by the name of Mark Tewes. Apparently, this so-called gentleman, of sorts, is possessed by a diabolical and somewhat sadistic imagination, as shall soon be shown. Might I suggest that you should pause briefly wherever you see this name listed as scenario designer. Pause and remember that such spite and malice ultimately run to ruin.

Pardon the digression. I shall try to be briefer.

We successfully gained the peach orchard, driving away the feckless Yankees of Dan “Temporary Insanity” Sickles, posted as they were without supports. General Barksdale was killed in action. His brigade continued to chase after the Yankee guns, which always seemed able to get away.

This was the first indication of Mr. Tewes’ evil intent.

Wofford and Semmes continued driving down the road toward the wheatfield. Semmes’ brigade was playing the same game as Barksdale’s with the guns. A second intimation, perhaps.

After moving Kershaw to the north of Rose Woods, as he continued east he was drawn into a desultory fight with Yankees in the woods. Kershaw was killed in action. A third and final warning.

Nevertheless, Wofford took the wheatfield handily. Piece of cake victory, I began to think while surveying the field. Then it happened.

A blue mass appeared around the Trostle farm.

It drew closer.

The first elements became visible. The Irish brigade. Along with a huge division from Hancock’s Second Corps. Big trouble.

Around this time I looked to see how things had gone with Law and Hood’s Division to the south. The Yankees held both LRT and Devil’s Den. Elements of Sykes Fifth Corps appeared to be administering the coup de grace to the remnant of our brave comrades in arms. Bad news.

The rest of that corps appeared to be gathering to attack into the wheatfield.
Very bad news.

It is at this point that the diabolical and sadistic imagination of Mark Tewes, scenario designer, is made manifest. I offer no further proof, as what has been related is self-evident enough. Such a twisted and depraved nature.

I began frenetically scrambling to put together a defense against the Second Corps counter attack, pulling most of Kershaw’s and Semmes’ regiments toward the road linking the peach orchard and the wheatfield.

Thankfully, Fifth Corps was slow to move. The Second Corps counterattack was blunted, I think. Other elements of Second Corps began to leak into the wheatfield from the woods just as the first elements of Fifth Corps began to enter the wheatfield in earnest.

Thankfully the time ran out and the game ended here.

I remain haunted by the final sickening view I had: Wofford’s brave brigade almost surrounded by wicked Yankee mercenaries, like a wounded wildebeest surrounded by menacing jackals. A diabolical trap, that what it was. Oh the horror, the horror.

As for you, Mr. Tewes, thank you for the many fine scenarios and keep up the good work. This game is epic.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Re: Wofford in the Wheatfield: A Horrible Realization Dawns

Post by Chamberlain »

BGLaw4SC ,

Nice AAR and screenshots !

;)

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today