What are Soldier's Ranks By?

Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

What are Soldier's Ranks By?

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Perhaps not the most descriptive title. My question is: in relation to their unit, how are soldiers ranked?

For example: Nathan C. Kimball. Colonel of Fourteenth Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He retains this title even if he commands a brigade or division (which he did at the Battle of Kernstown). Kimball is then promoted to Brigadier General of United States Volunteers. Does he still retain colonelacy of the Fourteenth? Or is he discharged from the Fourteenth and enlisted in the "United States Volunteers" whatever formation that is. Obviously, there is a difference between your rank in the United States Army (USA) and United States Volunteers (USV), so it may seem reasonable to assume he still retains colonelacy in the Fourteenth.

Another example: Surgeon Gabriel Grant (Medal of Honor winner). He enlisted in the Second Regiment of New Jersey Volunteer Infantry as the regimental surgeon, but was then promoted (if that is the correct word?) to brigade surgeon. Supposively, it is then that he gained his title Surgeon of United States Volunteers. So is his rank Regimental Surgeon of Second Regiment of New Jersey Volunteer Infantry, Acting Brigade Surgeon; or is it Brigade Surgeon of United States Volunteers?

Finally: Eddy D. Mason. Enlisted as a captain in Company A, Sixty-seventh Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry. So is his commission as captain only within Company A, or is it within the entire regiment? Captain Mason is eventually taken onto General Kimball's staff. At this point, is he still only a captain within Company A / Sixty-seventh Regiment, acting as an assistant adjutant-general, or is he an Assistant Adjutant-General of United States Volunteers?

I hope my examples explain my question. I'm trying to figure out where troops are enlisted under (partially for troop count totals), and so their rank is appropriate.

Thanks for any help!
Hancock the Superb
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Re: What are Soldier's Ranks By?

Post by NY Cavalry »

Sometimes Hancock you think too much.

If you are a captain in the U.S. Army then that means that you are a captain in the U.S. Army.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I know where Hancock is coming from with this, I think!

After the war was over during the mass demobilisation weren't the officers who gained rank in the war removed from service before the regular army? I am sure I have read of some inequalities in treatment between the Militias, Volunteers and Regulars with regards to final pay, effective ranks, other perks, etc.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

At the outbreak of the war Custer was I believe a lieutenant of artillery. By the end of the war he was a brigadier general of volunteers. When the war was over all officers who remained in the army reverted to their original rank or at least a lower rank. Sheridan tried to have Custer given a Colonelcy I think, but it was denied and he was left at a lower rank.
Old Soldier
Reactions:

Post by Old Soldier »

Open the following link and scroll down for Custer's military record ....

http://www.georgearmstrongcuster.com
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

At the outbreak of the war Custer was I believe a lieutenant of artillery. By the end of the war he was a brigadier general of volunteers. When the war was over all officers who remained in the army reverted to their original rank or at least a lower rank. Sheridan tried to have Custer given a Colonelcy I think, but it was denied and he was left at a lower rank.
Custer, and many other officers, revert rank because the ranks they had were of United States Volunteers, not in the United States Army. Most of them did not gain rank within the "Regular" Army but became Major Generals in the Volunteer Army. So Custer did not remain a general because he never was one (in the Regular Army).
Hancock the Superb
Shirkon
Reactions:

Post by Shirkon »

Perhaps not the most descriptive title. My question is: in relation to their unit, how are soldiers ranked?

For example: Nathan C. Kimball. Colonel of Fourteenth Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He retains this title even if he commands a brigade or division (which he did at the Battle of Kernstown). Kimball is then promoted to Brigadier General of United States Volunteers. Does he still retain colonelacy of the Fourteenth? Or is he discharged from the Fourteenth and enlisted in the "United States Volunteers" whatever formation that is. Obviously, there is a difference between your rank in the United States Army (USA) and United States Volunteers (USV), so it may seem reasonable to assume he still retains colonelacy in the Fourteenth.

Another example: Surgeon Gabriel Grant (Medal of Honor winner). He enlisted in the Second Regiment of New Jersey Volunteer Infantry as the regimental surgeon, but was then promoted (if that is the correct word?) to brigade surgeon. Supposively, it is then that he gained his title Surgeon of United States Volunteers. So is his rank Regimental Surgeon of Second Regiment of New Jersey Volunteer Infantry, Acting Brigade Surgeon; or is it Brigade Surgeon of United States Volunteers?

Finally: Eddy D. Mason. Enlisted as a captain in Company A, Sixty-seventh Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry. So is his commission as captain only within Company A, or is it within the entire regiment? Captain Mason is eventually taken onto General Kimball's staff. At this point, is he still only a captain within Company A / Sixty-seventh Regiment, acting as an assistant adjutant-general, or is he an Assistant Adjutant-General of United States Volunteers?

I hope my examples explain my question. I'm trying to figure out where troops are enlisted under (partially for troop count totals), and so their rank is appropriate.

Thanks for any help!
First off any of the State Volunteer units were all in the overall organization of United States Volunteers. So any rank in any of the State Regiments is also the United States Volunteer rank. Therefore a Colonel of a States Regiment is a colonel within the US Volunteers. Now to further complicate things there was also brevet rank. Many officers were promoted to Brevet Major General while holding some positions. This is mostly to hold a higher rank temporarily, but usually without receiving the pay of that higher rank except when actually serving in that role.

State Volunteer rank is different from Regular Army rank. Any Regular Army officer of the same rank as a State Volunteer officer outranked the State Volunteer.

Taking your examples one at a time:

Nathan C. Kimball - it depends on if his promotion to Major General was a brevet or an actual promotion. If a brevet it is only if he is holding a position that deserves the higher rank otherwise he is a Colonel of Volunteers. Many times a Regimental Colonel acted as a Brigade Commander (Major General) temporarily then reverted to his Regiment when the Brigade Commander returned or was permanently replaced.

Surgeon Gabriel Grant - I'm not at all sure on how the Medical Service treated ranks so can't really comment about this one.

Eddy D. Mason - Is a Captain of United States Volunteers. He was a Captain in the Regiment not just the Company he was assigned to. When he was appointed to the staff of General Kimball he remained a Captain. Assistant Adjutant-General is an aide on a General's Staff. A Captain can hold that position. Staff positions are not rank, it's just a job with specific duties and depending on the position of the general can be almost any rank (The higher the General's rank and position the higher the ranks of most of his staff officers}. Many of Lt. General U. S. Grant's staff held Major General rank while a Division Commanders staff were mostly Colonels and Majors.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

Sherman, December 1863, remark to a Tennessee woman.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Nathan C. Kimball - it depends on if his promotion to Major General was a brevet or an actual promotion. If a brevet it is only if he is holding a position that deserves the higher rank otherwise he is a Colonel of Volunteers. Many times a Regimental Colonel acted as a Brigade Commander (Major General) temporarily then reverted to his Regiment when the Brigade Commander returned or was permanently replaced.
A brigade commander isn't a Maj-Genl, but a Brigadier-General, surely? And a division commander is a Major-General, at least in theory. Due to casualties of course many divisions were commanded by Brig-Genls and many brigades by Colonels.

I'm not trying to muddy the waters, just saying.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Thanks Shirkon. I got the answers I asked for (so now how to apply them to the problem I have). Great answer!
Hancock the Superb
Shirkon
Reactions:

Post by Shirkon »

A brigade commander isn't a Maj-Genl, but a Brigadier-General, surely? And a division commander is a Major-General, at least in theory. Due to casualties of course many divisions were commanded by Brig-Genls and many brigades by Colonels.

I'm not trying to muddy the waters, just saying.
Opps, right you are, Brigadier General vis Major General for Brigade Commander and Major General for Division.

Chuck
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

Sherman, December 1863, remark to a Tennessee woman.