Charge/Retreat Tactic

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Gfran64
Reactions:

Charge/Retreat Tactic

Post by Gfran64 »

In TC2M it is possible to draw a charging unit well into your lines by retreating the unit that it has charged. The charging unit continues to follow the retreating unit until it is totally unsupported and usually get dispatched pretty quickly by reserves and artillery. I have tried this tactic and it works. I don't use it as I don't think that it reflects accurate ACW tactics but is rather an exploitation of a quark in the AI. It would be nice to be able to stop a charge in process if the unit that is being charged either withdrew on the double quick or retreated. That way you would be rewarding better game play not penalizing a player for driving the enemy from a position.

By the way, did I read correctly that you guys are working on a Shiloh add on!? IMO the most significant battle of the entire ACW. If Grant loses the 2nd day I don't think Lincoln could have reinstated his command after Halleck removed him. That would mean Grant never gets control over all the Union armies. That means more Union losses vs the ANV. McClellan beats Lincoln in 1864 and sues for peace. Ugh, the thought of it, CSA/USA, forever.

Greg
estabu2
Reactions:

Re:Charge/Retreat Tactic

Post by estabu2 »

The "Shiloh add on" was going to be the next MMG game. Although, it could still be in the future for NSD. We have had good discussions about the whole retreat/charge mechanics and I am sure through the testing process we will come to a good medium.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
dale
Reactions:

Re:Charge/Retreat Tactic

Post by dale »

A corollary to this tactic is that friendly artillery should never be captured by an enemy AI unit. If you see that the enemy is in charge mode you press retreat for your artillery and you are saved "deus ex machina". The charging unit is now thrown off of its target and flounders helplessly getting into battle line formantion while being raked by other units. If the infantry unit can get into firing position before the artillery physically out of range then and only then will it have an affect on the gun.
Hopefully this is addressed in the game as well. (My suggestion of charging a position vs a target unit would help in this regard.)