Having trouble controlling my subordinates

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Re: Having trouble controlling my subordinates

Post by Jack ONeill »

Fred,

1) Welcome aboard!

2) Join all of them.

3) The full size big "Gettysburg" map is my Fav for whole army battles.

4) The lads here have given you several options on how to control annoying Subordinates. Here's my take - As a Division Commander, TC each of your Brigade Commanders, but ride over to them when you do it. This gives the slightly historical aspect of giving orders, then riding with them to guide them into position. Once they are in place, un-TC them and let them fight it out themselves. Ride over to the next one and do it again. You will wear out a lot of horses, and it's a lot of work, but at least the Brigades will START in the positions you'd like them to....

5) Always, Always, Always TC your Battery Commanders. They will wander off at a moments notice. Just when you need their firepower to drive off an assault or support your attack, they've gone to freakin' Starbucks for a damn latte and a scone. Buttheads......

Jack B)

6) Give up your life - you belong to us now. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! (SOWGB does that to people.)
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Fredster33
Reactions:

Post by Fredster33 »

I wasnt sure if I could join both. :laugh:

And yeah I noticed the not-so-always intelligent behaviour of artillery. I still have a bruise on my head for all my facepalms!
The lads here have given you several options on how to control annoying Subordinates. Here's my take - As a Division Commander, TC each of your Brigade Commanders, but ride over to them when you do it. This gives the slightly historical aspect of giving orders, then riding with them to guide them into position. Once they are in place, un-TC them and let them fight it out themselves. Ride over to the next one and do it again. You will wear out a lot of horses, and it's a lot of work, but at least the Brigades will START in the positions you'd like them to....
I'll try that!

Kinda fitting though regarding my problems with subordinates..Dan Sickles sure as hell wasn't a strict order-taker on 2 July. :P
Jonah
Reactions:

Post by Jonah »

We will happily run through things with you on ts Fred I shall be online tonight
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Hey all!
New player here.

I'm trying out the various scenarios and sandbox battles on brigade, divison and ocasional corps-level.
I'm starting to warm up to brigade command, but I'm having trouble with division and above. If I'm on the offensive and try to use more than one brigade to attack I will have to (of course) align the brigades before going forward. Unfortunetely if I get one brigade into position it will eventually start making these crazy independant move descisions before my other brigade is in place. On the defensive its the same thing. I arraign my troops the way I like it but the formation is almost immedieatly broken by my AI brigade-commanders when the enemy is on the approach.
When I play Corps-level its almost impossible for me to keep track of my troops as each brigade does what he feels like!

So what can I do?
We realize it's a different type of game, not what you're used to. It takes some time getting used to it, but it's designed to simulate being in the commanders seat. Giving your best orders, but realizing that each unit has it's own mind. Yes, they will follow your orders, but this isn't an RTS. It's taking an accounting of your men and using each of them to the best of their ability. Each officer under you has their own traits, their own tendencies. These affect how they interpret your orders. We never wanted to create an RTS, there are enough of them out there. We wanted something that really gave you the feel of what it was like to be there. It's hard if you work against the game and the design of the AI. You have to put yourself there and give your commands and allow your men to do their work. Sure you can TC whom ever you want, but when you do you have to watch them very closely because there is a cost to micro-management.

Please keep at it, because once you really understand how it works, there's nothing like it!