Scenario question

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Re: Scenario question

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

Hi Leatherneck,

When playing the "Jackson" scenario, I usually send my westmost Divion, once it makes an appearance, down to the east of McPherson's ridge and push the Union troops there back into Longstreet. This generally wakes him up.(no pun intended !)

This Division I then march South and East to approach Cemetery Hill from the West flank which helps no end the other Divisions coming head-on from the North.

You struggle to do this in the time allocated, but, once having 'made my score' for the record, I prefer to win (or lose) my battles elegantly and interestingly, in however long it takes, rather than worry slavishly about objectives and times.

There are a million ways to play each scenario and it is quite amusing sometimes to see how confused the enemy AI gets when you try the more outrageous options. Like A.P.Hill ignoring Buford and the Iron Brigade completely and making a wide sweep to the South and East. The scenario is of course set up to mimic the actual battle but that not necessarily the best way to succeed (as history proved) If I am Pickett, I go anywhere but up that damned hill.

I remember, in the venerable TCBR scenario, I never understood why Evan's puny little Brigade had to defend Buck Wood against Burnside's much superior Brigade just because History said so. Made much more sense to retreat sharply back across the turnpike to Widow Henry's place to wait and join up with Bartow and Bee coming up from the south. Those little regiments of Evans then became absolutely invaluable in rapid flanking moves and the Union troops were mauled enough to become easy meat for Jackson et al following close behind.

This game is to be enjoyed. Forget tactics ... try grand strategy now and again. Fortune favours the brave and usually embarrasses the Burnsides of this world..

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot.
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
LeatherneckGA
Reactions:

Re: Scenario question

Post by LeatherneckGA »

Thanks for the Input Ingles, I almost never follow the history, as much as the map limitation allows, I'll do some pretty outlandish things myself (most don't work). Never tried the one with putting AP Hills division up next to longstreet tho, might have to give that a shot :)