Burnsides bridge dry river bed ?

Here is where we discuss the official add-on packs for Scourge Of War: Gettysburg.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Burnsides bridge dry river bed ?

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

The mapname.csv file assigns a grayscale value to each different terrain type. The value 25 is nothing special, just the value assigned for riverbank terrain.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

The mapname.csv file assigns a grayscale value to each different terrain type. The value 25 is nothing special, just the value assigned for riverbank terrain.
OK.....Forget I said anything about this!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

In the earliest versions of SoW didn't greyscale 25 (riverbank) have the movement attributes of a road - i.e. the fastest speed used?

However unless the ai is programmed to look for roads as the first route of choice I assume this won't stop non player controlled units going for a paddle. And once any units are engaged I assume they'll go for what they perceive to be the quickest route and enter the water.

Frankly it would be helpful to be able to block off certain river crossings as an option (and to manually adjust height fields in the map making tool so map makers can place the new water easier.)

B)
Last edited by Crikey on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Dangit I should have asked Norb about this in our meeting last night. However I do remember finding a grayscale color by mistake when I was working on my Seccessionville map where the troops always wanted to walk around it. It could very well have been 25 as Davinci mentioned. I'll do some testing with it later and report back.
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

LP interested to see what you find.

Worth noting that Greyscale 25 now seems to have attributes more in keeping with slow terrain than a road movement. Of course my memory may be wrong but I think I remember getting some odd results when I used 25 way back.

Ai troops creeping up on me along the riverbanks

And road errors unless I plugged the riverbanks into the road network.

Of course my memory may be kaput.
Last edited by Crikey on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Rebugler Wrote:
I was out voted by at least 4 to 1. So, you all now get ahistorical scenarios. :whistle: ...
This is why you were outvoted: ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLKAxTjz3OE

You actually get historical scenarios.. The creek is passable, even by the bridge. But it's still incredibly difficult to do so, which is why the movement rate is incredibly slow.

We wanted to leave it up to the player (and AI) to decide if they want to try and pass.. Burnside chose not to.. You can try and pass, but again, you'll get major movement and fatigue penalties for doing so.
The creek today is certainly not the same as the creek back then. Not to mention that doing it under fire would be much more difficult, plus he had to walk sideways up the creek about 50 feet to climb out of the bank - imagine a few hundred men trying. It would be all mud in a minute and impossible to get out of.

It's like allowing units to go into buildings in Sharpsburg to fortify. Sure, Lee could have done it...but he didn't. Lee could have also dug fortifications...but he didn't. There are a lot of what-ifs, but the basic structure of the battlefield should be as it was during the battle. This is #1 on my list of things that need a mod.
Last edited by IronBMike on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I would like to revisit this ground one of these days and design some HISTORICAL scenarios. This thread switched topics, and I'm glad it did because I got to explain my dilemma, plus the frustrations I faced trying to convince others of the obvious concerns that have been brought up here. Now there is a majority that sees it my way, or, the RIGHT way...Thanks folks. :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

RB,

Never take sides against The Family... uhhh... I mean Team. :evil:

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

RB,

Never take sides against The Family... uhhh... I mean Team. :evil:

B
Hey, if I didn't, then how could I legitimately call myself a REBEL? :evil:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Let me just say I'm fine with the decision

[sub]if it can be fixed with a mod[/sub] ;)
Last edited by IronBMike on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW