Cavalry Field: Am I missing something?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
kaplan71
Reactions:

Re: Cavalry Field: Am I missing something?

Post by kaplan71 »

Hi there --

I read through the posts that someone beat Scenario Twenty-One with the individual companies variant. That is variant that I have, and I wanted to know what his path to success was in this endeavor. Thanks.
dpeters95
Reactions:

Post by dpeters95 »

kaplan71, I was one of the people that beat the 1st cavalry scenario. I think someone else scored higher but I did earn enough points to win. I am currently playing the final Pipe Creek scenario and must admit that I don't remember exactly what I did. I do know there are at least two of the scenarios with the 10 individual companies. The first one that I got put a waypoint VP to the left side of the field (from the Confederate perspective) between the woods and the wall. I couldn't beat that version for some reason. The one I beat had the 10 individual companies but the waypoint VP was in the center of the field. I also remember TC'ing all 10 companies and rushing right through the Federal lines like they were not even there. I held that VP for the duration and then moved to the wall VP. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what I did at the wall.

Sorry, I hope this helps some. Just be determined and save your progress as you go. By saving you can always go back to the last successful thing you did and try something else. Good luck.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

dpeters95 wrote:
Just be determined and save your progress as you go. By saving you can always go back to the last successful thing you did and try something else.
I wanted to chime in here and agree with D about saving the game. That has been the key for me in winning these historic scenarios. If you play RPG's you know exactly what I'm talking about. In my mind they're exercises in tactical problem solving.

Good luck to you. To me, the scenarios are the most fun. They're pretty much all I play. Fortunately we're blessed with great designers who make very challenging but winnable ones. Keep in mind they too play the scenarios they design. And even better, they'll come on this board to give you advice.

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Yarders
Reactions:

Post by Yarders »

Well it seems I'm a bit late to the party with this so I'm not sure if anyone can still help me. After a good few tries I was somehow able to get an MV on the very difficult SC21.

I'm now on SC22. On my second attempt I was able to rout the rebs (although 1 unit reformed) and hold all the gold VPs but only scored 3300. I think this was partly my own fault for losing some of VPs at the start.

Anyway my question is to do with the silver VPs if anyone can remember the scenario. I hold the two gold VPs and that's fine but I don't seem able to hold the silver VPs. Is that normal? I ask because I noticed in SC21 when the VP went silver I was able to hold them. Still being quite new I fear I'm making a basic error. Thanks

Fantastic game btw. Really looking forward to playing the new versions and some multiplayer when I get a bit more time and finish off these tough cavalry scenarios.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Well it seems I'm a bit late to the party with this so I'm not sure if anyone can still help me. After a good few tries I was somehow able to get an MV on the very difficult SC21.

I'm now on SC22. On my second attempt I was able to rout the rebs (although 1 unit reformed) and hold all the gold VPs but only scored 3300. I think this was partly my own fault for losing some of VPs at the start.

Anyway my question is to do with the silver VPs if anyone can remember the scenario. I hold the two gold VPs and that's fine but I don't seem able to hold the silver VPs. Is that normal? I ask because I noticed in SC21 when the VP went silver I was able to hold them. Still being quite new I fear I'm making a basic error. Thanks

Fantastic game btw. Really looking forward to playing the new versions and some multiplayer when I get a bit more time and finish off these tough cavalry scenarios.
Cool, ya got GB21, some whiners acused me of making it too tough, good thing Sarge backed me up.

Regarding GB22, without checking, I'm pretty sure the silver objectives award no points but still have to be guarded for if the Rebs get them and hold for a minute, some of your forces will auto retreat. A little incentive I added to make sure you keep the wall secured. :evil:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Yarders
Reactions:

Post by Yarders »

Many thanks I've got it. 4900 points. Not worrying about the silver objectives helped. The key was making sure you don't lose the VPs for even a second. Now on to SC25 which seems tough! Had one attempt so far and my glorious cavalry charge was a terrible failure. :laugh: