Change the Uniforms?

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Change the Uniforms?

Post by Davinci »

One of the things I have wanted to see since Gettysburg first came out were more historically accurate uniforms. I love the idea of more of the federals wearing full sack coats with packs and the light brown blanket rolls.
Yeah, Davinci has done mods like this before and I'm sure he'll chime in eventually. Mixing the uniforms is pretty simple really, but creating new sprites is a whole different animal.
Well, I have been following this post since it was posted but thought he were only talking about a new-set-of-uniforms, and not any that have already been made.

I’m not sure, are there any Union troops wearing full-sack-coats, not that I have any idea what a full-sack-coat is?

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
kaschykb
Reactions:

Post by kaschykb »

Yeah, I'm not sure what a full sack coat is either? You mean frock coat?
Michigander
Reactions:

Post by Michigander »

I meant it to mean full sack coat and pants as in the full uniform :) Less guys in just shirts, or guys without packs or blanket rolls.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I meant it to mean full sack coat and pants as in the full uniform :) Less guys in just shirts, or guys without packs or blanket rolls.
So, you want uniforms in the game without short-shelves, and without packs, or blanket-rolls?

Basically, you are not talking about the uniforms that have already been made, but new-uniforms , correct?

If you are just speaking of new-uniforms - to my knowledge there is not a single-person that is currently a part of this forum that can help you out with that!

The only three guy''s that can make this happen.....well two of them are on the team , and don't do uniform mods, and the third one is gunship24 who mods the Napoleon-uniforms.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michigander
Reactions:

Post by Michigander »

Ok. I have been terrible at being clear.

More blanket rolls and packs and guys in coats. Less guys without coats or packs or blanket rolls. haha. Yes, the original post was wondering if completely new uniforms could be made. Now I am just trying to settle for something possible.
4thMissInf.Co.F
Reactions:

Post by 4thMissInf.Co.F »

Changing the mix among the existing uniform types simply requires a small mod with a few altered CSV files. Creating new uniform sprite sets is a lot of work and requires specialized software and a couple of months worth of evenings after you learn the process. The details can be found in the SDK document.

-Jim
Thanks for the help! Does anyone think they can do that? Add more fully clothed units for the federals and more butternut, grey and kersey for the rebs?
Yes you can do that, by adjusting the unitglobal.csv file. I have made a start along the lines you suggest, and if you or anyone else would like to have a copy of my file, send me a private message with your email address. You cannot use this in MP though, as unitglobal is one of the files closed to that.

Just to be clear though. What I've done is produce different mixes for existing sprites, rather than create new ones, which would be far beyond my talents.

Martin
Everyone should check into Martin's mod. I very thankfully got it from him, but have not used it yet because a certain experience of life has gotten in the way for about the last two months. That said, Martin, I still am very thankful.

Davinci, I also thank you for you uniform mod from the original that I have used up to last time I played.

The uniforms, to me, are the only "weak" spot in this game IMO.
My Ancestors:

-James Neely Vance, Pvt, 4th Mississippi Infantry, Company F "Sons Of The South", Army of Mississippi, Army of Tennessee
-William Harrison "Hash" Mabry, Pvt, 31st Mississippi Infantry, Company H, and 8th Mississippi Cavalry, Company D, N.B. Forrests Cavalry

Forever UNRECONSTRUCTED!
Michigander
Reactions:

Post by Michigander »

This is the kinda uniforms I have in my dreams at night. (Yes I am in these pictures.)

Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

This is the kinda uniforms I have in my dreams at night. (Yes I am in these pictures.)
True, but when you wake up these are the only ones that are currently in the game to choose from.
The attachment Uniforms1.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
Uniforms1.jpg
Uniforms1.jpg (62.15 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Ha... Coincidentally I recently ran into an important design that needs a unitglobal mod for an MP scenario I'm working on...mixing units for an Indian LOOK. Norb did promise to let us test it out with a beta patch, but that got backburnered...LIKE USUAL. :dry:

Keep squeakin, maybe turn it into rants :evil:
Yes Reb. I'd like to do exactly the same thing. Keep plugging away at Norb. Hopefully you'll wear the ornery critter down ;)

Martin
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

True, but when you wake up these are the only ones that are currently in the game to choose from.
Uniforms1.jpg
davinci
Just looked at these, and I'm pretty sure I don't have all of the sprites. I seem to recall mention a long time ago of an expanded sprite set on one version of the early release. Is that what this is Davinci? If so, I wonder whether it could be bundled-in with the next patch (or expansion)?

Presumably you can only use it in SP?

Martin