Antietam: question about Full Battle scenario

Here is where we discuss the official add-on packs for Scourge Of War: Gettysburg.
BoldRover
Reactions:

Antietam: question about Full Battle scenario

Post by BoldRover »

Hi all.

I'm contemplating to buy the Antietam expansion.

I've read that there is an 11 hour scenario that covers the entire Battle Of Antietam. This sounds really great. But how does this scenario handle the extreme cautiousness of McClellan? For example: Can the Union attack all out, with all available forces across the entire field, prior to AP Hill's arrival?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Antietam: question about Full Battle scenario

Post by Little Powell »

There are variants where the Union attacks are more aggressive and with more forces than attacked historically. There are also variants where there are Union attacks that historically didn't happen at all. They scenario will play out different each time you play it.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Hi all.

I'm contemplating to buy the Antietam expansion.

I've read that there is an 11 hour scenario that covers the entire Battle Of Antietam. This sounds really great. But how does this scenario handle the extreme cautiousness of McClellan? For example: Can the Union attack all out, with all available forces across the entire field, prior to AP Hill's arrival?
The 6 hour Union version, The Bloodiest Day, which I designed had to be set historically. Otherwise the player could just steamroll Lee's thin gray line. Still, although presenting a definite challenge, is still winnable...tested out thoroughly as so.

In addition, to help sate you Yanks, when or if you get your score up to a prescribed grade, the entire Yankee horde is released. :evil:
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
mb213
Reactions:

Post by mb213 »

You have many options with this game; I like to play the scenarios through the mp lobby. That way I can choose what Div, Brigade, or Corps I want to command. In addition you can change some of the parameters of the game. Of course if you play the game as written it is also fun and the AI will generally respond differently each time you play. SOW is really an awesome game. The replay on this thing is unmatched.
Last edited by mb213 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann"
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

You have many options with this game; I like to play the scenarios through the mp lobby. That way I can choose what Div, Brigade, or Corps I want to command. In addition you can change some of the parameters of the game. Of course if you play the game as written it is also fun and the AI will generally respond differently each time you play. SOW is really an awesome game. The replay on this thing is unmatched.
Also, when the scenarios are made available through the SDK releases, they can be altered in the scenario.ini file by placing 0 in all the rank listings. This will enable them to be played in the 'select commander' mode that you like.

Just put them in mod form: For example - Mods/My Scenarios/Scenarios/AN18....renamed :)
Once renamed, they'll show up in User Scenarios.

For another version of that same scenario, give it another name and script AI=1 in that same file, this will turn off scripting and make the AI do it's own thing...FIGHT everything in sight. :evil:
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...