Austrian Uhlans

Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Austrian Uhlans

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

How difficult is it to change the color scheme on existing sprites? I ask since Gunship has provided us with the beautiful Legion of the Vistula Lancers for the Peninsula Campaign, can we re-color them as Austrian Uhlans? The uniforms are reasonably similar, but I haven't the faintest idea how to do it, nor do I have the time to learn.

Thoughts?

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Austrian Uhlans

Post by Davinci »

Jack - This is not the answer that you are looking for, but as far as I know, this is it!

Any Program such as.....Photoshop, Gimp2, etc...you can edit an existing uniform to a certain degree, such as these three settings.....
Color Balance
Brightness \ Contrast
Hue \ Saturation

But, this will only alter the existing uniform, such as making it look newer or making it look faded.

To actually change something such as the color of a Jacket, or color of the pants is not a simple process.

To alter the uniforms that I first mentioned such as a faded look, would require you to edit all of the files that a single uniform has, and some of them probably would require two-dozen or more edits.

To put that another way, if I were trying to fade a standard default uniform, I would have to do it for thirty-five different files.

Such as , the Walk, Run, Fire, Melee, etc...

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
remus
Reactions:

Post by remus »

Hl Jack O'Neill

Gunship will actually have Austrian Uhlans that just need to be rendered. I have them but not in the packaged format and the colour can be changed to suit whatever colored scheme providing you have the original tgas and photoshop will do an excellent job so long as you have the original files

Remus
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

As Dav said it's not easy. In Gimp to change colours you can use Colours->Map->Rotate Colours but its use is mainly for single images where you select the area you want not very practicable unless its a single change per file. In short not straight forward. I could render out the unit if i have some free time next week.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Gun,

Brother, Uhlans are not vital if it takes away from other, more constructive work. Just wanted to know how hard it is. I think we can live without them. Thank you though.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"